• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2021/2022 |OT| The battle to survive, rebuilding after disaster.

I think sacking him right now (or immediately after the Liverpool game) without any kind of long-term strategy in mind is short-sighted. Sacking the manager is only half of the process, you also need to line up a proper replacement.
Conte was available after the Liverpool loss. Ole should have been sacked that night.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Conte was available after the Liverpool loss. Ole should have been sacked that night.
Conte could have brought short term success but would have also probably been a mess long term. Tactically he’s miles ahead of Solskjaer, obviously, but he only lasts a couple of years in every job he’s in. United should be looking for someone that’s more of a long term solution.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Newcastle gets funnier by the day.

Conte, Martinez, Emery…

Now they want the bloke sacked by Bournemouth.

Couple of weeks it’ll be Big Sam again just until end of season.

Dark Rider

I think sacking him right now (or immediately after the Liverpool game) without any kind of long-term strategy in mind is short-sighted. Sacking the manager is only half of the process, you also need to line up a proper replacement. And there's not really an obvious one available right now. I'm kind of glad Conte has gone to Spurs because while I think he's an excellent coach and Spurs will probably be better now they have him, he only seems to be able to operate in the short term before causing all kinds of issues.

My personal fondness for Solskjaer's time as a player makes it pretty hard for me to be a frothing at the mouth #OleOut type like some. I'd love to see him make it work. And he has done a good job building the squad back up after Mourinho left things in a pretty bad place. But it does seem clear that he's not going to be the guy to take United up to that next step of challenging for and winning titles again. So looking into who is next makes sense. But I think the work he has done rebuilding the squad for the long term is something that could be looked back on fondly if they get the next appointment right. Big name outsider managers like Mourinho are just focused on the short term because they want as much glory as they can get and so the club is a vehicle for delivering that success But Solskjaer clearly cares about the bigger picture with the club. Stuff like behind the scenes he's apparently been responsible for revamping the medical and data/analytics teams.

As for who they should get rid of, a lot of the players that needed to be moved on have been in recent years. The squad is not perfect by any means but it's in a better position than it has been in years. I think I've mentioned it before on here, and I realise it sounds weird saying it after he scored twice last night, but I don't think United should have signed Ronaldo. But he's now not going anywhere for the next couple years.

Thank you for posting your thoughts :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
For me I think for the long term the most important thing that need to be done is that the club make sure the players perform to the best of their ability. They usually intentionally do not in order to get managers sacked.

Conte, Martinez, Emery…

I think most of it is just journalists farming clicks for money.
Also:
[Unai Emery] confirms that he's staying in Villarreal

Last edited:

Ludicrous Display

Neo Member
Starting to think there is actually a difference between the Saudi investment fund and the Saudi government. Jamal Khashoggi was chopped to bits efficiently within a day or two, they've been pissing about trying to find a new manager for weeks now.

Dark Rider

[OptaJose]- 1000 - Real Madrid have become the first team in European Cup/Champions League history to reach 1000 goals scored in the competition (including qualifiers). King.

Looking forward to the 2000th goal :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

• Fire
Reactions: JLB

DKehoe

Gold Member

Conte, Martinez, Emery…

Howe might not be a bad choice really. Yeh Bournemouth got relegated with him, but he took Bournemouth from League 2 to the Premier League, which is pretty impressive. He could do well in a position where he's backed to buy players and not sell off the ones he has. If I was Newcastle I'd also be looking at Graham Potter, he's doing really well with Brighton.

Conte could have brought short term success but would have also probably been a mess long term. Tactically he’s miles ahead of Solskjaer, obviously, but he only lasts a couple of years in every job he’s in. United should be looking for someone that’s more of a long term solution.
More long term like Ole? Or Moyes? Long term is just an excuse to make failure acceptable. I want short term success - like Tuchel at Chelsea. Champions League winner in half a season.

Dark Rider

[Gerard Romero] Barça offers Koeman 7.5M in two payments, Koeman asks for 12M + bonus

Whatever the contract says he is owned will be payed, Koeman will not give up any of it (not after what he gave up and payed to go there).

Dark Rider

[EL Chiringuito] Messi spotted in Madrid going to a Regenerative therapy clinic for his Bone bruise suffered during the last International break.

:pie_thinking:

DKehoe

Gold Member
More long term like Ole? Or Moyes? Long term is just an excuse to make failure acceptable. I want short term success - like Tuchel at Chelsea. Champions League winner in half a season.
Grabbing whatever high profile manager is available in the moment, regardless of whether or not their style of play is a continuation of what has been built with the current squad, is short-sighted and going back to swinging from Moyes to Van Gaal to Mourinho. The club should be aiming for a consistent through-line to build things back up and that’s something they seem to finally be looking to do with the restructure with Murtough, Fletcher etc. Chelsea sacking Lampard and Tuchel then winning the Champions League that season is obviously nice but it’s not really something you should reliably look to for success.

Conte only lasts a couple years in any job because he can’t stop himself from picking fights with people at whatever club he is at. No reason to think he’d be any different at United.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Howe might not be a bad choice really. Yeh Bournemouth got relegated with him, but he took Bournemouth from League 2 to the Premier League, which is pretty impressive. He could do well in a position where he's backed to buy players and not sell off the ones he has. If I was Newcastle I'd also be looking at Graham Potter, he's doing really well with Brighton.
Graham Potter probably keeping low on the radar waiting to see what happens at villa as he’s a villa fan / supporter has been since he was a lad.

Nitty_Grimes

Mind you so is Dean Smith but villa should have been relegated last season only a dodgy VAR decision kept them up and suppose it’s difficult not winning as many free kicks now jack isn’t there to keep rolling round the floor conning the refs.

EDIT: sorry my point being a supporter of the club and being it’s manager doesn’t make it any easier.

Last edited:
Grabbing whatever high profile manager is available in the moment, regardless of whether or not their style of play is a continuation of what has been built with the current squad, is short-sighted and going back to swinging from Moyes to Van Gaal to Mourinho. The club should be aiming for a consistent through-line to build things back up and that’s something they seem to finally be looking to do with the restructure with Murtough, Fletcher etc. Chelsea sacking Lampard and Tuchel then winning the Champions League that season is obviously nice but it’s not really something you should reliably look to for success.

Conte only lasts a couple years in any job because he can’t stop himself from picking fights with people at whatever club he is at. No reason to think he’d be any different at United.
Tuchel also is likely to win Chelsea the EPL this year. I’d take 2 years of short term success over another re-build that will maybe win us an FA Cup at the end.

And that new structure that you’re talking about with Murtough and Fletcher - it’s shit. They’re still making shit decisions. Pogba wasn’t sold last transfer window and now he’ll walk for free. They bought Sancho for £70M+ for him to warm the bench. They’re didn’t strengthen the midfield. It’s absolutely rubbish decisions one after the other.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Tuchel also is likely to win Chelsea the EPL this year. I’d take 2 years of short term success over another re-build that will maybe win us an FA Cup at the end.

And that new structure that you’re talking about with Murtough and Fletcher - it’s shit. They’re still making shit decisions. Pogba wasn’t sold last transfer window and now he’ll walk for free. They bought Sancho for £70M+ for him to warm the bench. They’re didn’t strengthen the midfield. It’s absolutely rubbish decisions one after the other.
I mean, sure, clearly if the new manager wins a Champions League and potentially a league title in the space of two seasons then that would be great. But that's not exactly guaranteed. And swinging from one style to another depending on which manager you can grab makes it less likely.

There's not too much United can do about Pogba waiting for his contract to run out. Either he signs a nice new big one at United or leaves on a free to someone else and gets a big signing bonus. Win/win for him either way. Also, a lot of clubs didn't have money to spend last summer and even if they did knew they could wait a year and get him on a free.

I agree about Sancho. It's been frustrating to see him not used more since he's clearly a talented player and plays in a position United have been deficient in for a long time. But the sudden move for Ronaldo seems to have changed everything about the planning for the team and left Sancho on the outside. And yeh the midfield has been neglected for so long. It's a huge problem and hopefully one that gets resolved soon.

Dark Rider

[José Luis Sánchez] - Vinicius Jr has been called up for Brazil to replace the injured Roberto Firmino

I don't like this

Dark Rider

[Official] Xavi Hernández is the new FC Barcelona coach

Looking forward to him talking about grass and claiming being treated unfairly by the refs every week.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Classic 90 mins from City, complete control and domination for the full 90. Better than them in every aspect, perfect performance.

FDhDG6vUYAEgaA0

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm not even a Utd fan and I found that painful to watch.

Ollie needs to go. There is no drive or passion in that Utd team, the defense is awful, and Ollie clearly doesn't have a clue how to use the attacking talent at his disposal.

If he's not sacked by Monday then I'll eat my balls.

mekes

On the United manager.

Man, I've never been happy with any choice post Ferguson. Van Gaal has been the most interesting choice so far, but I still didn't want him. I based that just off of the unrest and noises from Bayern whilst he was there. Pretty much the same thing ended up happening at United.

I just want a tactical coach who plays a nice brand of football. I feel like we've had a reactive coach in Moyes. Tactical with LVG and Mourinho. And reactive again with Solskjaer.

I would be all for Ten Hag (sp?), Zidane possibly. Ancelotti I thought we should have gone for years back. Just no more defensive tacticians like LVG or Mou.

Most importantly the coaches need to get lost along with Ole. No favours for the boys. We need a trophy and soon, don't care which. For a club that goes on about long term this, long term that. Our best players are almost retired. Beyond Greenwood, no youngsters are getting a chance.

There is so much wrong at United and it starts with the board. The CEO, DoF, coaches, Manager, scouts. It all just feels a bit off at the moment. It did start seeming better after Ole had been here 6-12 months. But not anymore.

Dark Rider

The Sports Law is underway in Spain, which will abolish the requirement to cover 15 percent of the budget for fan-owned clubs. (Athletic, Madrid, Barca, Osasuna). If another amendment is successful it would exempt fan-owned from the obligation to become a public limited company.

Dark Rider

[ESPN UK] Man United had more shots on target against their own keeper than against Man City

The players doing all they could to sack their manager.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Norwich sack manager, villa sack manager but Ole’s at the wheel👍🏻

Yeah, this doesn't make any sense. Ollie is out of his depth.

The defending on Saturday was some of the worst defending I've seen from a Man Utd team. Woefully bad and almost comical. It's a miracle that it wasn't 0-5 or more.

Why does he keep playing Fred and McTominay together? The system isn't working, yet he keeps on going back to it.

What has he done with Sancho? That man was fire at BD, but is a shadow of himself at Man Utd. To be fair, this could be an issue with Sancho and finding it hard to adapt, but as a manager you need to look at ways to fix that problem and get the best out of your players.

I'm not a Man Utd fan, but even I want Ollie to go. Man Utd have some amazing attacking talent on their books and should be up there with City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Dark Rider

[Fabrizio Romano] Xavi: “Extending Ousmane Dembélé’s contract is one of our priorities, yes! He could be the best player in the world in his position”. “Ousmane has to work a lot, he has the potential to make the different at Barça as world top player. But he needs to be consistent”

T8SC

Cristiano Ronaldo: "I said what I felt in that moment, that I'm here to win things, Manchester United is a sign of winning things and I'm not here for holidays."

He's already won things during his second spell at Man United though.

He's won the hearts of the fans. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

SSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Dark Rider

Italian media company boycotts Jose Mourinho – Was ‘unpleasant and inappropriate’ with journalist.

Dark Rider

Lewandowski: "It is very difficult to play on high intensity every three days. We are humans, not machines. I think new generations will struggle a lot because of this, we will not see the same consistency from players, because there will be more injuries and retaining focus will be a big challenge"

Dark Rider

Juventus captain Giorgio Chiellini supports his president Agnelli: "We need to reform the calendars and create new competitions. The fans also want more European matches. In Serie A we should go back to 18 teams or maybe 16. I would also abolish VAR’’

[Fabrizio Romano] Xavi: “Extending Ousmane Dembélé’s contract is one of our priorities, yes! He could be the best player in the world in his position”. “Ousmane has to work a lot, he has the potential to make the different at Barça as world top player. But he needs to be consistent”

The guy was injured for 4.5 months, comes back for 3 days and is injured again. Last year there was not as much football and he was injured for 24 days. The year before that he was injured for 10 months for 4 different injuries. The year before that for close to 4 months. No wonder Barca is in the shit.

Dark Rider

[Premier League] All 20 PL clubs have discussed the post-2024 International Match Calendar reform process and are unanimously opposed to FIFA’s proposal for biennial men’s World Cups, along with any plans involving significantly extended international windows.

Expected to happen by all the major leagues.

Top Bottom