• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2021/2022 |OT| The battle to survive, rebuilding after disaster.

DKehoe

Gold Member
IMG_6968.jpg

IMG_6969.jpg

Dark Rider

[CatRadio] Kun Agüero may no longer play football due to a serious heart condition after the tests carried on. Doctors have already transferred the information to the Argentine striker.

Dark Rider

Official: the Dutch government has banned all supporters from attending matches for the next 3 weeks

Dark Rider

[ITV Football] Roy Keane on Harry Maguire's celebration against Albania: "He thinks he's shutting the critics up. But I think It's embarrassing. He's been a disgrace the last couple months for Man Utd. He thinks if he scores there, he's going to shut his critics up. Embarrassing."

Dark Rider

[Martin Braithwaite] "My injury is a bit like a software update. I'm like a machine that needs a software update every 10 years."

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
[ITV Football] Roy Keane on Harry Maguire's celebration against Albania: "He thinks he's shutting the critics up. But I think It's embarrassing. He's been a disgrace the last couple months for Man Utd. He thinks if he scores there, he's going to shut his critics up. Embarrassing."

Roy is correct. The celebration was embarrassing. Maguire has been truly awful for Man U this season, yet he thinks a goal against the mighty Albania will shut up critics and justify his poor season?! GTFO, Maguire.

Maguire is a muppet. He can’t perform in the EPL and uses playing a match against bunch of farmers to big himself up.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Roy is correct. The celebration was embarrassing. Maguire has been truly awful for Man U this season, yet he thinks a goal against the mighty Albania will shut up critics and justify his poor season?! GTFO, Maguire.
Wasn’t it an Albanian rape / kidnap gang who ‘allegedly’ tried to kidnap his sister in Greece leading to that fight that he tried to bribe all the coppers with his ‘don’t you know who I am’

Maybe it was to do with that?

I mean that was all bullshit as well and just quietly swept under the carpet but that was his excuse at the time basically just a drunk piss head inventing a story to try and get off (which worked as usual)

Dark Rider

Wasn’t it an Albanian rape / kidnap gang who ‘allegedly’ tried to kidnap his sister in Greece leading to that fight that he tried to bribe all the coppers with his ‘don’t you know who I am’

Maybe it was to do with that?

I mean that was all bullshit as well and just quietly swept under the carpet but that was his excuse at the time basically just a drunk piss head inventing a story to try and get off (which worked as usual)

Harry Maguire on his celebration vs Albania: "The celebration was a knee slide, it just came naturally to me. It's an amazing feeling to score for my country. It wasn't directed at anyone, it just came naturally to do that and open the scoring for England and get the important three points."

Dark Rider

« So you sleep with married man ? » : That’s what [PSG’s] Hamraoui’s attackers may have said to her before attacking her. On the other side, Aminata Diallo does not understand [how she has been linked to this story] - RMC Sport/BFMTV

The plot thickens.

Nitty_Grimes

Harry Maguire on his celebration vs Albania: "The celebration was a knee slide, it just came naturally to me. It's an amazing feeling to score for my country. It wasn't directed at anyone, it just came naturally to do that and open the scoring for England and get the important three points."

I know what he said :)

Dark Rider

[Romano] Donny van de Beek situation is so clear. He loves the club and he’s still super professional in training, doing his best for Man Utd - but if the situation remains the same, he will leave Manchester United in January.

Dark Rider

[Téléfoot] Kylian Mbappé (on his Euro penalty miss): What happened to me this summer helped shape me. To take the decisive penalty and miss it, and then a failed transfer - it tests your mind, your limits. I answered in the best possible way: it strengthened me."

He already bought a house in Madrid by the way :messenger_sunglasses:

Dark Rider

[jud] Pedri: “I was at the barbers with my father and there was a Barça match on the TV. I asked the barber to give me Andrés Iniesta's haircut because he is my idol. My dad said no we can't do that because Iniesta is bald."

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dark Rider

New information points to Eric Abidal’s wife being the one responsible for ordering the attack on PSG footballer Kheira Hamraoui. It was allegedly revenge for sleeping with Abidal, while he was Barça’s sporting director and Hamraoui played for Barça

I wonder if this true, this case is getting wild anyway.

[RMC] Hayet Abidal, the wife of Eric Abidal quoted in the investigation into the assault of Kheira Hamraoui, asked Tuesday to be heard by the investigators "in order to put an end to the rumor", because she has "nothing to do with these facts, "according to his lawyer.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[COPE] Florentino Perez : “We offered 200M to PSG for Kylian Mbappe and they rejected it. State Owned clubs don’t want to sell their players, it is easier to get them as free agents when their contracts are over”

"You need to be quotable to stay relevant": Gareth Southgate responds to Roy Keane's criticism of England defender Harry Maguire

It is heating up.
Southgate has so far failed to win anything with a great England squad. The only reason he’s in place is because he’s political and says the right things. He fluked his way to the Euro final playing boring football and now he thinks he’s more relevant than Roy Keane because England beat a couple of farmers’ teams.

Speaking of Maguire - he’s been absolute shit this season. He wasn’t very good last year but this year he’s gone down 2 more levels.

Dark Rider

Southgate has so far failed to win anything with a great England squad. The only reason he’s in place is because he’s political and says the right things. He fluked his way to the Euro final playing boring football and now he thinks he’s more relevant than Roy Keane because England beat a couple of farmers’ teams.

Speaking of Maguire - he’s been absolute shit this season. He wasn’t very good last year but this year he’s gone down 2 more levels.

Maguire is a starter for Southgate and the criticism was over a game for the NT so Southgate jumping in to defend his player is expected to happen. I think Southgate making it to the final (regardless of how he did it) gave him some job security because England did not make it to any finals for so long.

Maguire is a starter for Southgate and the criticism was over a game for the NT so Southgate jumping in to defend his player is expected to happen. I think Southgate making it to the final (regardless of how he did it) gave him some job security because England did not make it to any finals for so long.
The criticism was over his poor form with ManUtd and him thinking he was silencing his critics with a goal against Albania. The twat. Even Kane scored 3 goals against Albania.

Dark Rider

The criticism was over his poor form with ManUtd and him thinking he was silencing his critics with a goal against Albania. The twat. Even Kane scored 3 goals against Albania.

Still the game was for the NT where Southgate was the manager. I'm not siding with anyone here just pointing out how Southgate jumping in was totally expected.

Nitty_Grimes

Have always said that about the England team to be fair not just Southgate. Score 15 combined between Albania and San Marino as they are the best in the world. No plan b though never has been once they come up against a team that is any good.

Agree fluked to the finals of the Euros, even the last World Cup was their best chance as loads of seeded teams knocked out in bizarre group stages.

Then came up against a team that played 120 minutes a couple of days before who were Croatia and again went to extra time and still won.

Dark Rider

[SkySports] Tavares: Arsenal is a big club with big players. It is normal for us to win games. For us, we want to be in the top one. I don't know why people are so surprised. People need to understand we are Arsenal and we need to win games to reach our objectives.

PJX

This season? Try his whole career. Leicester did a number on Man United with the £80 million fee. Makes Andy Carroll look like a bargain.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This season? Try his whole career. Leicester did a number on Man United with the £80 million fee. Makes Andy Carroll look like a bargain.
Agreed 100%.

Thank god City didn’t spend £80m on that chancer and signed Laporte and Dias instead.

There hasn’t been a single player that United have gazumped us on that hasn’t hurt them: Fred, Sanchez, Maguire, Ronaldo.

Dark Rider

[Miguel Ángel Díaz] Carlo Ancelotti: "Hazard is OUT for tomorrow's game. He has a gastroenteritis."

Personally I'm waiting for his contract to expire and don't think he should play any game unless we have no players to field.

Dark Rider

[Football Daily] Ben Foster (Watford goalkeeper): “There's a couple of teams you would genuinely worry about but the other 17, 18 I honestly think we can get points from and that includes Man United."

He make it sound like they can walk the league.

Dark Rider

BBC News: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Manchester United boss set to leave club after Watford defeat

It is actually happening this time.

DKehoe

Gold Member

That’s it confirmed then. Sad to see it play out this way. I’ll always be fond of Solskjaer though. Clearly the results weren’t good enough, especially towards the end and he was out of his depth when it came to challenging for the title. But there were some good times and I think he also did some good work sorting out some of the issues in the club and putting the team in a better place to go forward. Hopefully whoever is next is able to capitalise on that. But knowing the people running the club I’m not too optimistic about them making the right decision.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

That’s it confirmed then. Sad to see it play out this way. I’ll always be fond of Solskjaer though. Clearly the results weren’t good enough, especially towards the end and he was out of his depth when it came to challenging for the title. But there were some good times and I think he also did some good work sorting out some of the issues in the club and putting the team in a better place to go forward. Hopefully whoever is next is able to capitalise on that. But knowing the people running the club I’m not too optimistic about them making the right decision.

I feel for the guy, but he was clearly out of his depth. The team have been awful this season some real Sunday league level of defending.

Who do you lot think will be the next Utd Manager? Personally, I think it'll either be Erik ten Hag or Zidane.

Whoever comes in next is going to have their work cut out for them trying to fix the defensive issues, plus trying to get Sancho back in form.

DKehoe

Gold Member
I feel for the guy, but he was clearly out of his depth. The team have been awful this season some real Sunday league level of defending.

Who do you lot think will be the next Utd Manager? Personally, I think it'll either be Erik ten Hag or Zidane.

Whoever comes in next is going to have their work cut out for them trying to fix the defensive issues, plus trying to get Sancho back in form.
Yeh it’s a shame because it was clearly the guy’s dream job and it meant a lot to him. But as you say he was out of his depth.

I’m not sure if it’ll be Zidane. Apparently his wife is a big fan of sunny weather and so Manchester maybe isn’t the right fit for them. Also from what I’ve seen he seems to be living a pretty happy life right now and doesn’t seem to be itching to take whatever big job pops up next. I can see him taking over the French team after the World Cup and he’s waiting for that.

ten Haag could be good. Not going to pretend I regularly watch Ajax but he’s done a great job with them and they’ve done well in Europe under him.

Rodgers is another I see talked about. While he’s clearly talented it just feels weird for a former Liverpool manager to then manage at United. Going from your biggest rival to you (even indirectly) feels strange. Like how I think Klopp is an incredible, elite manager and I have a huge amount of respect for him but the idea of him managing United at some point in the future still feels off.

Gallardo could be an interesting option but looking outside Europe seems unlikely for United.

Then there’s Pochettino. Him and United have flirted with each other over the years so it wouldn’t surprise me. The PSG job is one that’s never stable and seems like a headache for whoever takes it so maybe he decides to make the jump in the summer if PSG don’t win the Champions League.

I said on here a while back that Potter seems to be really talented and has done incredibly well with Brighton. But the jump from Brighton to United is a huge one and I think they’ll want to play it safer than that.

In regards to Sancho he looked decent yesterday and has had some bright spots before that. I believe that was the first time he’s played on the right, the position he was bought for. Realistically there was probably always going to be a bit of an adjustment period for him since he’d never played in the Premier League before. He also apparently had an ear issue that was affecting him. I’m sure he’ll come good since he’s so talented.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
As a Madrid fan, I have one thing to say to ManU: go for zizou. He is the best. My only concern is that if you sign Zidane we will lost him forever, because he can become one of those decade long coaches.

mekes

Leaving the coaches in place is an awful decision. Feels like the board are throwing the season away by going Carrick and then an interim. Pogba will likely leave, VDB might, Ronaldo might and more.

Im not sure Solskjaer has left things better. He’s been pretty bad with youth players. Lots of players are unhappy and you sense have been lied to. Overall poor usage of the squad which he has bloated out. Definite issues.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the board absolutely messed up giving Solskjaer a contract before the end of his Interim agreement. And you can bet the decision was made in order to pad something like social media interaction knowing how the club are ran.

I just think the club is ran like such a shit show.

For the next permanent manager. Just get somebody who is either on a strong ascendancy or somebody at the top of their game. Haven’t had either of those since SAF left.

Leaving the coaches in place is an awful decision. Feels like the board are throwing the season away by going Carrick and then an interim. Pogba will likely leave, VDB might, Ronaldo might and more.

Im not sure Solskjaer has left things better. He’s been pretty bad with youth players. Lots of players are unhappy and you sense have been lied to. Overall poor usage of the squad which he has bloated out. Definite issues.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the board absolutely messed up giving Solskjaer a contract before the end of his Interim agreement. And you can bet the decision was made in order to pad something like social media interaction knowing how the club are ran.

I just think the club is ran like such a shit show.

For the next permanent manager. Just get somebody who is either on a strong ascendancy or somebody at the top of their game. Haven’t had either of those since SAF left.
The coaches are arguably worse at their job than Ole. The team looks very poorly drilled. And you are right, Solksjaer made a mess - so many discontent players and players in their last year of their contracts.

Dark Rider

Rodgers is another I see talked about. While he’s clearly talented it just feels weird for a former Liverpool manager to then manage at United. Going from your biggest rival to you (even indirectly) feels strange. Like how I think Klopp is an incredible, elite manager and I have a huge amount of respect for him but the idea of him managing United at some point in the future still feels off.

Apparently Klopp had an interview for Manchester United job before he took over Liverpool and Ed told him that Manchester United is the Disney of the football world, the rest is history.

As a Madrid fan, I have one thing to say to ManU: go for zizou. He is the best. My only concern is that if you sign Zidane we will lost him forever, because he can become one of those decade long coaches.

I do not think Zidane would like how Manchester United operated at all, so far he does not seem interested to manage them at all.

Dark Rider

[Berlin police] Police of Berlin thanks all fans for a 'smooth evening' at the Berlin derby and wishes a safe journey home.

JLB

Banned
I do not think Zidane would like how Manchester United operated at all, so far he does not seem interested to manage them at all.
i simply cant understand how ManU is considering an internal coach for the rest of the season. Its like throwing the towel on first round.
Btw, another great candidate could be Marcelo Gallardo.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
i simply cant understand how ManU is considering an internal coach for the rest of the season. Its like throwing the towel on first round.
Btw, another great candidate could be Marcelo Gallardo.
I believe they are just going to be using someone internal (apparently Carrick or Fletcher) until they get an interim manager who will then be in place until the permanent manager is lined up.

Gallardo does sound like a really interesting option and. seems like (from the admittedly small bits I've read and heard) he's really smart tactically. But like I said above I can't see United looking outside of Europe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom