• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2021/2022 |OT| The battle to survive, rebuilding after disaster.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
However would you swap the owners to them from Carson Yeung and his hairdressing mafia?

Last edited:

Dark Rider

If they lose every game now to the end of the year (a real possibility) then they'll be in real trouble. They're already 6 points from safety and haven't had a win yet. I could see Burnley getting out of it, but I think Newcastle and Norwich are gone.

If they're 10 plus points from safety come 1 Jan, then who is going to want to come and play for them?

I personally think the deciding factor is who they sign in the winter transfer window, once that window is closed it will be much clearer if they will manage to stay up or get relegated.

Dark Rider

bb27bzv68k281.jpg

Porcile

Remember when Wesley Sneijder won the treble beating Barcelona in the semi-finals and Messi still won the Balon D'or? Yeah.

Dark Rider

[Rio Ferdinand] “Carragher stop arguing about league titles with a man that’s won multiple league titles! The moment Carragher talks about leagues, I just mute it. “

Dark Rider

[Hadrien Grenier] Yashin trophy winner Gianluigi Donnarumma: I'm very very proud of my transfer to PSG, it was destiny. I was a great follower, a fan… I thank the people who trust me. I hope to be up to the task of wearing this shirt on the pitch

DKehoe

Gold Member
Remember when Wesley Sneijder won the treble beating Barcelona in the semi-finals and Messi still won the Balon D'or? Yeah.
Messi and Ronaldo are obviously incredible players. But it'll be nice once we've left this era where one of them wins it by default.

Dark Rider

Thomas Müller: "What happened at the Ballon d'Or's ceremony was disappointing. Similar to Ribery in 2013. But this gives us more motivation to win this season's UCL and prove to the world what the German football is capable of. And we will prove that starting by our next match against Barcelona."

[Hadrien Grenier] Yashin trophy winner Gianluigi Donnarumma: I'm very very proud of my transfer to PSG, it was destiny. I was a great follower, a fan… I thank the people who trust me. I hope to be up to the task of wearing this shirt on the pitch

A shame he’s playing in a farmers’ league.

I made this point earlier in the thread. They get relegated and get 100 odd million for going down. The richest club in the world the toon army are fond of telling us.

They are some of the most fickle supporters known to man. Unai Emery or Antonio Conte to Eddie Howe. Haaland to well I don’t know who they’ve been linked to recently. But they cannot sign anyone till 1st January. It’s funny as fuck watching the implosion.
I think it’ll be hilarious if they get relegated and cannot make any big signing next summer transfer window.

Thomas Müller: "What happened at the Ballon d'Or's ceremony was disappointing. Similar to Ribery in 2013. But this gives us more motivation to win this season's UCL and prove to the world what the German football is capable of. And we will prove that starting by our next match against Barcelona."

Barcelona RN

4ip5bj.jpg

How does everyone feel about Newcastle Utd's chances of staying up?

I think if they don't get six points from their next two games then they're going down. After Norwich and Burnley, their next few games to the end of the year are difficult to say the least.

Away to Leicester
Away to Liverpool
Home to Man City
Home to Man Utd
Away to Everton (although with the way Everton are playing, that might be an easy 3 points)

General feeling among most of us Newcastle fans is that we are down, and that Jan will likely be about starting to plan for the Championship. Even despite that there is still this odd feeling (I think it may even be optimism) amongst the fanbase. Personally I would much rather go down (then come back up) with these owners, than scrap about under Ashley, where the only ambition was ensuring there were 3 worse teams than us every year.

Hypothetically, I would say we need to be within 6 points of safety come the start of January for the big red "BUY YOUR WAY OUT OF TROUBLE" button to actually work, and after the draws with Brentford and Norwich, I just don't see that as a possibility. Even if we beat Burnley and Watford lose to City as expected it looks better, only 3 points from safety right? Problem is that is when our awful run of fixtures start mentioned above start.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
General feeling among most of us Newcastle fans is that we are down, and that Jan will likely be about starting to plan for the Championship. Even despite that there is still this odd feeling (I think it may even be optimism) amongst the fanbase. Personally I would much rather go down (then come back up) with these owners, than scrap about under Ashley, where the only ambition was ensuring there were 3 worse teams than us every year.

Hypothetically, I would say we need to be within 6 points of safety come the start of January for the big red "BUY YOUR WAY OUT OF TROUBLE" button to actually work, and after the draws with Brentford and Norwich, I just don't see that as a possibility. Even if we beat Burnley and Watford lose to City as expected it looks better, only 3 points from safety right? Problem is that is when our awful run of fixtures start mentioned above start.

I was surprised that the Toon didn't beat Norwich. I can't see them beating Burnley, then the run of fixtures in December are......... difficult.

I reckon Newcastle are down. I also reckon you'll do a Sunderland and drop to league one, then stay there for a few seasons.

Hey, at least next season you'll be playing away at St Andrews! I might even venture up north for the away fixture as well. St James Park always has an amazing atmosphere.

I was surprised that the Toon didn't beat Norwich. I can't see them beating Burnley, then the run of fixtures in December are......... difficult.

I reckon Newcastle are down. I also reckon you'll do a Sunderland and drop to league one, then stay there for a few seasons.

Hey, at least next season you'll be playing away at St Andrews! I might even venture up north for the away fixture as well. St James Park always has an amazing atmosphere.

That's the worry, although it would be a huge surprise. It would've absolutely happened under Ashley. There are a few local journos with sources inside the consortium who have heard that if anything relegation will only strengthen PIFs resolve to turn Newcastle into force quickly. Expect to see a huge outlay in the Summer whichever division we're in. And as we don't have any financial need to sell, if a PL or European team wants someone like Saint-Maximin or Wilson they will have to pay a huge fee. To be honest, if I were a fan of a team in the Championship, the last thing I want is Newcastle down there next season. Its clearly going to reduce the number of promotion spots from the get go to 2 rather than 3.

IDKFA

That's the worry, although it would be a huge surprise. It would've absolutely happened under Ashley. There are a few local journos with sources inside the consortium who have heard that if anything relegation will only strengthen PIFs resolve to turn Newcastle into force quickly. Expect to see a huge outlay in the Summer whichever division we're in. And as we don't have any financial need to sell, if a PL or European team wants someone like Saint-Maximin or Wilson they will have to pay a huge fee. To be honest, if I were a fan of a team in the Championship, the last thing I want is Newcastle down there next season. Its clearly going to reduce the number of promotion spots from the get go to 2 rather than 3.

Teams in the Championship would play against Newcastle like it was a cup final. Every team will be out for the kill. That's why I think they'd struggle.

You must be loving having an owner with all that money, but if I was a Newcastle fan I'd hate it.

I'm a Brum fan and I hate that our owners are some shady, faceless Hong Kong group known as Birmingham Sports Holdings. I'd still hate it if they made us Premier League contenders (they're skint, so never going to happen).

With Newcastle, they now have the richest owners in football. This means they can do a Man City and just buy success. For me, this goes against the spirit of the game. Also, are you really happy that your club is owned by PIF? The prem claim their happy the Saudi state won't get involved in the club, but how is that possible when the chairman of PIF is Mohammed Bin Salman, the ruling Crown Prince, deputy prime minister and defence minister of Saudi Arabia! Shady as fuck mate.

Maybe I'm old school, but I just think that a football club should be owned, or at least 50% owned by the fans. How can Birmingham, Newcastle, Man City, Chelsea etc call themselves football clubs when they're all owned by foreign investors and billionaires!

Teams in the Championship would play against Newcastle like it was a cup final. Every team will be out for the kill. That's why I think they'd struggle.

You must be loving having an owner with all that money, but if I was a Newcastle fan I'd hate it.

I'm a Brum fan and I hate that our owners are some shady, faceless Hong Kong group known as Birmingham Sports Holdings. I'd still hate it if they made us Premier League contenders (they're skint, so never going to happen).

With Newcastle, they now have the richest owners in football. This means they can do a Man City and just buy success. For me, this goes against the spirit of the game. Also, are you really happy that your club is owned by PIF? The prem claim their happy the Saudi state won't get involved in the club, but how is that possible when the chairman of PIF is Mohammed Bin Salman, the ruling Crown Prince, deputy prime minister and defence minister of Saudi Arabia! Shady as fuck mate.

Maybe I'm old school, but I just think that a football club should be owned, or at least 50% owned by the fans. How can Birmingham, Newcastle, Man City, Chelsea etc call themselves football clubs when they're all owned by foreign investors and billionaires!

I would normally be worried about that, but we have been down there twice in the past 11 years and won the league each time. Yes, the Championship is tough, but if one team can vastly outspend the the other 23 then they usually end up getting promoted.

As for the ownership. Yep, I (along with a lot of the fanbase) feel uneasy about being owned by Saudi Arabia. Even to say 'PIF' is just the handy way of getting round the truth. But truth be told, the horse bolted from this particular barn a long time before Newcastle. The UAE own City. Qatar owns PSG. A Russian oil baron with strong ties to Putin owns Chelsea. But, as you well know, if you're a football fan you can't just change who you support, otherwise sure, I'd go watch Gateshead or Blyth every week in the National League North, where I wouldn't have to worry about this shite. But I don't, I have supported Newcastle my entire life, and if we had to go through 14 years of Mike fucking Ashley, its hard to begrudge the fanbase engaging in some of the more fun aspects of suddenly being the richest team in football.

IDKFA

I would normally be worried about that, but we have been down there twice in the past 11 years and won the league each time. Yes, the Championship is tough, but if one team can vastly outspend the the other 23 then they usually end up getting promoted.

As for the ownership. Yep, I (along with a lot of the fanbase) feel uneasy about being owned by Saudi Arabia. Even to say 'PIF' is just the handy way of getting round the truth. But truth be told, the horse bolted from this particular barn a long time before Newcastle. The UAE own City. Qatar owns PSG. A Russian oil baron with strong ties to Putin owns Chelsea. But, as you well know, if you're a football fan you can't just change who you support, otherwise sure, I'd go watch Gateshead or Blyth every week in the National League North, where I wouldn't have to worry about this shite. But I don't, I have supported Newcastle my entire life, and if we had to go through 14 years of Mike fucking Ashley, its hard to begrudge the fanbase engaging in some of the more fun aspects of suddenly being the richest team in football.

Can't say, but you'll lose 3 points at St Andrews. Lee Bowyer is still fitting in, but we'll be winning the Championship next season. Newcastle will have to settle for the fight for second place.

But fans can change it. It should be that as fans, we hold the power, not the shady owners who use our clubs as they're toys or as a money making scheme.

The German model is the ideal solution, but not a lot of fans have the drive to demand change. Sure, I talk about it in the Birmingham Supporters Trust forum, but I'm not going to make a difference myself. Alone, it'll be as impactful as farting in the wind. Maybe one day fans will demand a right to own their club.

Can't say, but you'll lose 3 points at St Andrews. Lee Bowyer is still fitting in, but we'll be winning the Championship next season. Newcastle will have to settle for the fight for second place.

But fans can change it. It should be that as fans, we hold the power, not the shady owners who use our clubs as they're toys or as a money making scheme.

The German model is the ideal solution, but not a lot of fans have the drive to demand change. Sure, I talk about it in the Birmingham Supporters Trust forum, but I'm not going to make a difference myself. Alone, it'll be as impactful as farting in the wind. Maybe one day fans will demand a right to own their club.

Sounds like the basis on an account bet to me lol. If Newcastle do go down I will happily let to pick whatever username or profile picture you want for my Gaf account if Birmingham finish above us in the table, if you're happy to so the same?

IDKFA

Sounds like the basis on an account bet to me lol. If Newcastle do go down I will happily let to pick whatever username or profile picture you want for my Gaf account if Birmingham finish above us in the table, if you're happy to so the same?

Sounds like a bet. If Newcastle go down, I'll take on the bet that Birmingham finish above them. Not sure if we can easily change usernames, but I'll let you pic whatever profile pic you want. We also have to keep the pics for 12 months.

Deal?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
lol Jesus don’t make that bet. Blues are shit mate nothing to do with bowyer bedding in. We can’t afford to sign anyone, Watford are still paying troy 60,000 of his 70,000 a week wages. Ground is falling down. No plan B. Long throws or nothing.

Mind you I asked you a question, post 701, unless I’m on your ignore list then your not going to see it 😂

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Is Chelsea really going to participate in that?

Every club played in the CWC so far (including Chelsea when they qualified last time and lost), why do you think Chelsea will not participate this time?

Barcelona RN

4ip5bj.jpg

I'm looking forward to watching this game, both teams have something to prove against the other team.

I think the Newcastle United players know they are playing on borrowed time and don't care anymore. They are bad for sure but definitely not THIS bad.

I'm glad you are talking about it in your club official forum. Although my club is 100% owned by us the fans and we are well off financially I still worry about things that would chip at the club identity like the sponsor deals that ask to change something about the image of the club like the grounds name.

Dark Rider

[Calcio e Finanza] The full list of clubs under investigation. Juventus, Napoli, Genoa, Sampdoria and Empoli are the Serie A teams. Barcelona, Manchester City and Marseille are among the foreigners clubs.

This is getting bigger.

Sounds like a bet. If Newcastle go down, I'll take on the bet that Birmingham finish above them. Not sure if we can easily change usernames, but I'll let you pic whatever profile pic you want. We also have to keep the pics for 12 months.

Deal?

Deal!

All in good fun mind. If you do come up for the Newcastle match next season let me know and I will meet you for a pint after we have destroyed you's 😉

I think the Newcastle United players know they are playing on borrowed time and don't care anymore. They are bad for sure but definitely not THIS bad.

Trust me, after years of both chronic under investment all over the pitch, and no real coherent strategy to our recruitment we are shocking. Our defence is the same as we had in the Championship, which was 4 years ago now. We are a Premier League side in 2021 who are still having to play the likes of Ciaran Clark and Emil Krafth.

We have to play wingers as full/wing backs. We have 4 central midfielders, Longstaff only ever looked PL level under Rafa. Hayden will always give 100% but is barely PL level. Shelvey is the opposite of that, and Willock clearly isn't ready for a full on survival fight.

Only area of the pitch we have real quality it in attacking areas thanks to Wilson, Saint-Maximin and now since Howe has come in Joelinton is starting to look like a player finally.

Dark Rider

[El Partidazo de COPE] Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao are offering La Liga clubs a better alternative to the CVC deal. Clubs would receive 2 billion euros over 25 years with an interest rate of 3%.

:pie_thinking:

Dark Rider

Trust me, after years of both chronic under investment all over the pitch, and no real coherent strategy to our recruitment we are shocking. Our defence is the same as we had in the Championship, which was 4 years ago now. We are a Premier League side in 2021 who are still having to play the likes of Ciaran Clark and Emil Krafth.

We have to play wingers as full/wing backs. We have 4 central midfielders, Longstaff only ever looked PL level under Rafa. Hayden will always give 100% but is barely PL level. Shelvey is the opposite of that, and Willock clearly isn't ready for a full on survival fight.

Only area of the pitch we have real quality it in attacking areas thanks to Wilson, Saint-Maximin and now since Howe has come in Joelinton is starting to look like a player finally.

The fact that you are battling relegation is not a surprise to me and you explained it very well in your post. However, those same players managed to stay up for a few years, they also never went 13 (14?) games without a single win before yet they are doing it this season. The players are suspect since they have no future at the club anymore and they know it.

Dark Rider

[James Pearce] Klopp on facing Milan: "We have to rotate, we will rotate. The medical department would smash me if I played the same side again."

TheContact

“First turnover of the night; won’t be the last”
Truer things have never been said lol
(Go pats) this game is gonna be super low scoring wow

Prison Mike

Banned
[Calcio e Finanza] The full list of clubs under investigation. Juventus, Napoli, Genoa, Sampdoria and Empoli are the Serie A teams. Barcelona, Manchester City and Marseille are among the foreigners clubs.

This is getting bigger.
no psg lol

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

Having a local owner doesn't necessarily mean things are any less shady..... I'm a Derby fan so have first hand experience :messenger_crying:

IDKFA

Having a local owner doesn't necessarily mean things are any less shady..... I'm a Derby fan so have first hand experience :messenger_crying:

True. It should be that no owner can own more than 50% of the club. The rest should be owned by the fans. That's the model we should be striving for.

Dark Rider

True. It should be that no owner can own more than 50% of the club. The rest should be owned by the fans. That's the model we should be striving for.

I think fully fan owned is preferred, having majority say in the club decisions is the bare minimum.

Dark Rider

[Gerard Romero, on twitch stream]: Marc Andre Ter-Stegen, Frenkie De Jong and Sergiño Dest will all be placed on the transfer market in the upcoming window.

This is significant :pie_thinking:

Dark Rider

[RadioEstadio] The Assembly of LaLiga approves the agreement with the CVC fund 37 votes in favor 4 against and 1 absentee. (Real Madrid, Athletic Club, Barcelona and Ibiza UD against)

The next step will be going to court, I hope the court block it.

Madrid, Barca to take legal action over CVC deal

Athletic Bilbao is also part of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom