• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For or Against the ABK Acquisition (read OP first)

For or Against

• For

Votes: 152 38.3%
  • Against

Votes: 178 44.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 67 16.9%

• Total voters

Schmick

I've been thinking about this thread and whether it would be sensible to post it given this is NeoGaf. But i've been thinking... there will be one rule. You cannot reply to a post. You can only make one post in the thread and it will be on whether you are for or against the acquisition (or dont care) and why. It is important to hear peoples opinion and in some cases it is better to hear them unopposed (well not really.... but this is NeoGaf after all).

This is a subject that will obviously lead to console warring and we don't wont any of that hence the one post rule (and no post editing to counter someone's post).

So

Which side are you on and why.

Edit: Because someone asked... ABK = Activision Blizzard King

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
The Rock Yes GIF

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Ignorant politicians and useless bureaucrats that know absolutely nothing about the gaming industry should stay away from gaming. So definitely for it. Also hope (and I'm fairly sure) that the FTC will get a very visible defeat in court, which will curb further attempts of politics to influence the industry.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Don’t care but more shit on gamepass always a plus so for if had to vote.

CRAIG667

It makes little difference to me but if it helps gamepass grow and in turn MS pump more money into development that can only be a good thing for consumers and developers alike!

Sony and Nintendo aren't going anywhere so competition will remain healthy.

intbal

For.

Don't care about CoD, Diablo, Candy Crush, or anything else.
I just want all the old titles added to the BC library.
After that, they can give the company to Sony for all I care.

Iced Arcade

For. (Not a strong for though lol)

I'm not buying COD but wouldn't mind playing the single player campaigns on gamepass & PS Plus.

I don't give a shit who's marketing deal is in jeopardy.

Markio128

Voted don’t care. I don’t really have anything else to say on the matter, only because I’m pretty bored of the whole thing tbh.

Activision Blizzard is only going to get worse if they continue existing as their own entity. I'm not expecting Microsoft to effectively change things (they absolutely should though), but they might be able to better use the IPs that Activision owns. I support the buyout.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I am against the acquisition for the same reason as Clear Clear .

Microsoft is a (approximately) 2 trillion dollar company. They are trying to acquire ABK who is a 60 billion dollar company, and the largest third-party video game company. The market leader is Sony who is a $110 billion dollar company. After Sony is Nintendo who is a 50 billion dollar company. It makes no sense for the multi-trillion dollar company to acquire the largest third-party video game company who is, but itself, already larger than Nintendo. None of these main three competitors should be able to acquire a company that large. Not that Sony or Nintendo could even dream about swinging an acquisition that is that huge.

The only companies who should be able to acquire ABK are other third-party companies or companies that want to get into the console sector but need a big first-party to remotely be able to compete with the big three (Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony). For example, if Amazon or Ten Cent wanted to create a console then this acquisition would make sense for them to push their console. Additionally, if Amazon or Ten Cent wanted to create third-party content then the acquisition of ABK wouldn't result in decreased competition amount the big three as they would still be third-party.

To clarify: I don't want Amazon or Ten Cent getting further into gaming as I don't trust or like these companies. I'm just saying that the acquisition wouldn't be (directly) anti-competitive. Microsoft's gaming division by itself couldn't afford to acquire ABK, but because Microsoft is huge they can shuffle funds from other areas to fund this gigantic, unprecedented acquisition. That should give anyone pause, but fanboys will be fanboys.

Last edited:

aries_71

For. Let's give Microsoft a chance to compete. It's noticeably clear to anibody reading Neogaf that they have apparently failed to do so until now. All their first titles are the laughingstock of this forum. With the acquisition they may have a chance. Without, they may forget about the whole console business and retreat to their windows only positions. That can only by bad for everybody.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
For. Let's give Microsoft a chance to compete. It's noticeably clear to anibody reading Neogaf that they have apparently failed to do so until now. All their first titles are the laughingstock of this forum. With the acquisition they may have a chance. Without, they may forget about the whole console business and retreat to their windows only positions. That can only by bad for everybody.
Pretty much been my take on it the whole time. I'm for it, to increase competition. This prompts MS to be better, and Sony to be better in response. Everyone wins, but you'll have to own all 3 consoles (that's what increased competition looks like).

For me personally, doesn't really do much. I don't play any of their games besides Diablo.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
For.

Activision Blizzard is looking to be acquired regardless. I'd much rather see them be acquired by someone like Microsoft that's established in the gaming sphere than Tencent, Amazon, or Apple. Plus I'd personally benefit from this acquisition as a Game Pass subscriber.

Also, current Activision Blizzard leadership is atrocious and an acquisition by a strong presence like Microsoft would hopefully help to reinvigorate the brand and it's IP.

Against, MS is just not a good company.

They have bought so many companies the last couple yrs and the output and management of these companies have been poor.

If they buy ABK, im scared they will only support the current games in the pipeline and be happy with a Gaas model and put out nothing new for a long time after

TheMan

All CoDs on gamepass so we can revive the PC playbases on better games since the steam prices will never come down.
Yeah this is pretty much the only part I care about, although moreso so I can play through the SP campaigns.

Honestly MS is making so many concessions that it probably won’t make much difference to consumers otherwise. All the games will still be multiplatform.

Fredrik

I have all platforms so exclusivity is really just a matter of which control device I need to use.
lXQ1E06.jpg

In short I really don’t care.

BUT…
I’m also a cheap ass gamer and an acquisition would mean more games on Gamepass. And I see no upside what so ever for me if the acquisition would be blocked.
So I’m most definitely for it.

Forsythia

I'm a selfish asshole, so I'm for. All the games on Game Pass and not having to deal with gimped games because of some exclusivity deal.

Anime-Vix

For. All industries have been going towards mass consolidation. From food, tech, and entertainment companies, I'm not sure why users on here think the videogame industry would be exempt
from this. We already see Ubisoft struggling as the budget for AAA games has increased. TecmoKoei is teaming up with EA to co publish their latest big budget game Wild Hearts.
All it takes it is for several big budget games to fail in order to leave a company in the red. We saw this with Bethesda. They sold to MS after several of their games flopped.
The industry will naturally go towards mass consolidation.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Mixed opinion, but mostly against.

As I see it Activision is way too big to be taken by Xbox alone. I suppose even Zenimax was/is almost too big for Xbox, and I was all for it( Microsoft really needed Bethesda, and it was funny to see Xbox with 2 Playstation exclusives when they were in need of those games for themselves). The thing is Microsoft did not do the same efforts that Sony did in regard to exclusivity and third parties relations in my opinion. A good game to explain what I mean is Fall guys. When did Sony and Devolver began talking about it? Microsoft probably got the opportunity to take it for them but choose not to. Same for indies games like Sifu, Kena and Stray. Sony invested in those guys who wanted to make games and it worked. If Microsoft did the same, gave money and help for studios that they saw that it would be worth it they would have more games like Hi rush and high on life.

Instead they choose to put 70 billions on Activision. And each time it seems the autorities are against it there is a different excuse given :
- This is not for Call of Duty but King
- This is not for us but to protect against Meta/ Tencent...
- This is for all the gamers (LOL)
All bullshit. If it was for King they would have given strong reassurances for all consoles games( after all King is just mobile). And the "if it was not us it would be another big tech company" is ridiculous. If it was true they would just have to wait and compete with them when that would have become a reality. Yes it could have made ABK cost more but they were already paying extra anyway. Waiting could have made them cheaper as well.
Having a true competitor to buy ABK would probably helped them with the regulators. And Bethesda proves that outside of agreements preceding the acquisition they are perfectly ready to ban games that should have been multiplat from Playstation(if Starfield was on offer to be a PS5 exclusive a few months before Microsoft acquired Bethesda, a PS5 version was obviously planned)

The thing is they have a need for ABK and the opportunity was good so I can understand that from their point of view it was now or never. That's why I recognise that there will be some positives from it if it happens. With their games coming to PC the loss to gamers will not be as big as when Microsoft games were not on Steam. But if one of the goals is just to but games out of Playstation I hope that it will be blocked by the regulators.

Thanks for the thread, I did not dare to talk in the big one because all i could say would probably already be said and/or refuted and I try to read all comments before talking in a thread.

Top Bottom