• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For or Against the ABK Acquisition (read OP first)

For or Against

• For

Votes: 152 38.3%
  • Against

Votes: 178 44.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 67 16.9%

• Total voters

Saber

Gold Member
Against it.

Its a clear case of pocket money. No quality, no substance. Just simply "we have money so we can buy whatever we want".

And honestly, this GP cult is getting out of hand. To think they just see the small picture is absurd. Microsoft, just like Nintendo and Sony are all in the business for money. You have to be that stupid to think they are doing all this because "poor gamers, we want to make the best for them". They are no charity. GaaS put a similar strategy of bait by offering a free game and then getting money from alternative ways.

In short, Microsoft will get that money back, regardless of how much you suck their balls. Sooner or later you guys gonna pay for this acquisition.

I'm for.

Personally, because I use Gamepass and it would make it an even better value proposition for me. Further it puts more pressure on Sony to provide value which as a multi-platform user also results in better value for me. Win win.

From an industry perspective, I don't believe it is anti-competitive or will create a monopolistic outcome and I'm yet to see any convincing argument otherwise. Mostly boils down to 'it's bad for the industry', 'it's bad for competition' ... why? ... 'Because MS bad'. And the regulator concerns of Sony falling to pieces without COD (which apparently has been offered to them following the deal anyway) or MS getting a stranglehold on the industry by way of Gamepass seem like massive longshots given the current industry landscape.

Gobjuduck

Banned
For

ABK was open for sale and investors want it. Microsoft and ABK are a good match, and it won’t push Xbox out of third place. Microsoft has proven its loyalty to competitive platforms with minecraft. Nintendo and valve are confident in the acquisition benefiting them.

To be against it, you either have to be a Sony diehard or someone who is against huge consolidations. But, the courts allowed Disney to acquire so much of their industry.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
If they want to compete, make sure your studios you already own don´t struggle. Almost all their announced games struggle in development in some way and people keep making excuses for Xbox every day. I´m baffled that they get so many passes for all the shitshow and worst launch in console history ever. Turn it around, put Sony in MS position without the acquisitions but just the first 2.5 years without any worthwhile content. Sony would´ve been completely destroyed by the gaming industry.

The fact that their argument is that they need ABK to compete with Sony is just complete nonsense and show how leagues ahead PlayStation is without having to be desperate for content.

Last edited:
For

ABK was likely to be bought out or sold off piecemeal regardless, and as a Game Pass subscriber it benefits me having ABK under Microsoft. This is ultimately what it comes down to.

Additionally, as an owner of a Switch, PS5, and Xbox Series X, it doesn't matter to me if games are withheld by anyone for any reason, as long as they come out on one of those platforms. If the deal goes through and you are locked out of a game due to not owning an Xbox, buy one.

To date I have not seen a good reason to demonstrate this being a bad deal. It's mostly been fearmongering and outlandish predictions designed to elicit an emotional response. At face value this is a net positive for me and a lot of other gamers, and IMO the negatives are far outweighed by the positives of such a deal.

Last edited:

ABnormal

The main question is: WHY XboX owners hope the aquisition succeeds? All the games involved are not games created by MS, they are IPs that would be launched on XboX anyway. So where does this wish come from? The answer is: from misery. Any reason can only be miserable. PS gamers don't want it either because they don't want to have to buy another Console just to play Call of Duty (or someone for some of the other games, if they consider them a killer application), or because it would create a monopoly around CoD, which would artificially (not by any merit or ability) disrupt part of PS market reducing the potential investments on the other games or similar things.
But XboX owners would not lose anything nor they would be damaged in any way if the acquisition doesn't succeed. It's really just leaving dignity and resorting to take out succesful IPs instead of creating new ones or do anything concrete to add something to videogames. Just trying to "win" because they are not able to win.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The main question is: WHY XboX owners hope the aquisition succeeds? All the games involved are not games created by MS, they are IPs that would be launched on XboX anyway. So where does this wish come from? The answer is: from misery. Any reason can only be miserable. PS gamers don't want it either because they don't want to have to buy another Console just to play Call of Duty (or someone for some of the other games, if they consider them a killer application), or because it would create a monopoly around CoD, which would artificially (not by any merit or ability) disrupt part of PS market reducing the potential investments on the other games or similar things.
But XboX owners would not lose anything nor they would be damaged in any way if the acquisition doesn't succeed. It's really just leaving dignity and resorting to take out succesful IPs instead of creating new ones or do anything concrete to add something to videogames. Just trying to "win" because they are not able to win.
Have you heard of the gospel of Game Pass?

If it will stop that chinese company buys ABK...
giphy.webp

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Welcome to console wars, mate.

If the acquisition failing means Xbox would spend that 70 billion on other devs and games then I'm against it because a very large amount of Activision games I don't care about and there are other studios I'd rather Microsoft have.

However, assuming this level of investment won't just be invested into other gaming stuff and instead will go to other segments of Microsoft's business, then I'd rather have this, if only to massively grow Xbox market share so that Sony couldn't have as many timed/permanent exclusive deals with 3rd parties as they'd become more expensive. Also if this purchase could revive franchises like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk that would make me super happy, not to mention it would be fun to have all the COD's on Game Pass if I ever want to finish the ones I haven't on Veteran. Plus the Activision backlog is absolutely massive addition to Game Pass (and might even help with some licensing issues of getting more games backwards compatible)

I'm making the assumption of the latter, which means I'm in favor of this acquisition as it stands to benefit me the most, and "the industry" will be fine like it always is despite all the fearmongering about consolidation, especially since Playstation COD fans would still be able to play for the foreseeable future, and with every Xbox game releasing on PC and streamable via basically anything they're definitely the best situation of a platform for a game to be locked into compared to Sony or Nintendo purchasing a studio (obviously I'd rather have everybody be able to play every game but the small accessibility loss seems worth it for the benefits in my opinion)

I told it in the past and i still believe it. If in a race you are completing alone you can win without trying but if there is competition then you have to give your best. So as a gamer that wants good games i am all for Microsoft to buy ABK to give better competition to Sony so both become better.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm not for or against. I feel like as long as it doesn't break the law it should be allowed. Lawful neutral. Since I tend to purchase all of the machines that play ABK the actual result doesn't impact me all that much.

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm a fan of GamePass but this deal just allows Xbox to be lazy. I'd prefer them actually seeking out third party content and actually releasing some serious first party content.

I also think this deal gives a giant pass to Xbox management.

Gobjuduck

Banned
If they want to compete, make sure your studios you already own don´t struggle. Almost all their announced games struggle in development in some way
You realize red dead redemption 2, GoW 2018, Last of Us 2, Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, Cyberpunk and many more games struggled to come about? Devs that worked on those projects have spoken how troublesome the development was.

Making games is very hard, who would have thought. Halo infinite and Starfield are hard projects.

It seems like arkane, tango, coalition, rare, double fine, obsidian, turn 10, Mojang, playground games, ninja theory, and more are relatively developing games at a steady rate.

ZehDon

Gold Member
For.

Activision Blizzard was looking to sell, so it's not a matter of "if" and simply a matter of "who". (EA was also looking to sell, but Wilson wanted to use it as a way to take over the controlling purchaser, which killed those deals.) The main potential buyers for ABK therefore are:
  1. Amazon
  2. Google
  3. Apple
  4. Tencent
  5. Microsoft
Amazon's a fucking garbage company and doesn't give a single shit about this industry or its workers. Lowering the QOL bar for thousands, and killing grass roots unionisation efforts in the process.
Google would've run ABK for a year, made horrible business decisions, and then closed it down like they do with literally everything else. Then, they'd blamed someone else for their failures as thousands lose their jobs.
Apple would've turned every single franchise into mobile cash shops, killing a dozen AAA franchises in the process. This would allow them to further their stranglehold over mobile gaming.
Tencent would've slathered CCP censorship across every title - and possibly patched it into existing ones. A major western publisher making Chinese propaganda masquerading as video games. Fuck. That.
And then there's Microsoft. They're happy to work with unions, they're happy to offer decade-long parity deals with other platforms, and they're happy to revitalise old AAA franchises. They've been in video games for twenty years, they're keen to stick around, and they've taken their (well deserved) licks over the years.

Of the choices available, there's Microsoft, and then there's a world of fucking pain through everyone else. No contest, in my eyes.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Look I don't care about playing games nor do I care about how much I pay for games. All I care about is the wider gaming industry that will ultimately fail if MS buys ABK. You thought 9/11 was bad? WRONG. MS buying ABK is going to ruin humanity as it stands.

I am against it because don't think GamePass deserves attention or a steady stream of content. Thats not what real gamers would want.

I sound like Lulu 🤣

gow3isben

MS is where developers go to get neutered so against. Then again I wouldn’t mind activism on to be the sacrifice.

Last edited:

Lasha

First, the common convention is to use a company's stock ticker when shortening a firm. Activision is ATVI.

I have been accumulating ATVI for years and I think 95$ per share is a fair price to close out the position. I continue purchasing ATVI because it's a solid company. The downside of holding Activision if the deal falls through is worth the upside of a nice gain if it does.

Microsoft also comprises a significant portion of my portfolio. It's another company that I have accumulated since I started investing. ATVI addresses a gap in management that Microsoft currently lacks. ATVI adds management experience while bringing an excellent stable of IP and a healthy amount of profit. It's a good buy for gaming.

I have no real opinion as a gamer. I don't play any games that ATVI makes. I think the fears regarding the deal are overblown since the industry is much more than just ATVI. Much of the outrage comes from Sony fans who are too deep into console wars to see the big picture. Microsoft isn't spending 65 billion dollars just to fuck up a profitable IP. It will sell COD on any device it can just like it sells Minecraft everywhere. Sony fans will still get their big budget cinematic games and Nintendo fans will remain oblivious to the petty squabbles of the trailing companies.

Griffon

MS has more than enough studios to compete.

If they can't, and have to continue spending billions of dollars to muscle themselves into the market, then yes, regulators need to step in and put an end to it.
They have so much money they don't need to play by the same rules as others and if unchecked they could just buy everything and pretend they won, it's anti-competitive and anti-consumer.

Consolidation is always bad for consumers. Just look at Autodesk...

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm for it.
Personally I want more games on gamepass, don't care about console wars, I only play on PC. But I also don't see a world where CoD goes exclusive, some other single player stuff sure, but CoD is the Kardashian of games - its popular because it's so popular.

Drell

Against:

I wrote a big thing earlier but my english is shitty so I'll try to keep it short:

I don't care about Sony or any Activision licenses. Call of is like the junk food of video games and everyone at Blizzard already left and so nothing good will come from them.

The thing is, while I hate call of, it still makes a ton of money for its owner. Microsoft already have too much power with their OS monopolies over PCs OS since the 90s. The only alternative is Buying a Mac or run a Linux distro while heavily relying on wine when it works before going back to windows because having to use compatibility layer for most of your softwares becomes annoying. I'd like more choices on that field but that's another discussion. The thing is, vg market always worked with 3 manufacturers + PC. We HAVE some competition here (even if Nintendo is playing its own game) and I'd rather have thing stays this way. While ABK acquisition may not move MS to the first place, it will create a precedent. Big acquisition from MS will become the norm and when they'll have bought EA, Ubisoft, Square and Capcom, we'll be closer and closer to that same shitty monopoly we have on the PC OS market, and I don't want this.

Matsuchezz

Against, they just want to remove content from Sony, because they suck at creating great content even if they have a lot of money their crappy management do not create a great work environment for the people to be creative and create master pieces. They like to churn out turds and they expect people to be happy with such turds. They are consistent with their turds though.
MS can burn money giving away games that are expensive to produce via GP that i do not care about, but I want to have the chance to play them in PS since that has been the option since Call of Duty was released.

Sojiro

I am against this and all acquisitions that continue to unify these massive companies together. I dont think this is healthy for the overall industry, and all it does is lock a large number of titles to one platform (+PC in some cases). I only ok with it if the situation is a company is going under, and its either sell or close it's doors. However, most of the recent acquisitions (this included), its just about expanding their own IPs at the expense of their competitors. I always shake my head when you see threads of people cheering this shit on, I just don't get it.

Jinzo Prime

Used to be for, now I'm against.

I'm very disappointed in how Microsoft runs it's own studios, and I don't think the leadership there can improve Activision Blizzard.

The situation with 343 Industries is a big factor in my position. Microsoft is a trillion dollar company and they run their flagship IP and studio with temp workers? Sad, and I don't want that philosophy in ActiBlizz games going forward.

RickMasters

Im a game pass subscriber...SO....yes. Im all for it. COD is like madden and fifa, with its yearly updates that dont change the game that much. Id be happy to see it on my sub. Ill actually buy a battle pass or two...maybe a skin here or there, when that becomes the case.

RickMasters

I am against this and all acquisitions that continue to unify these massive companies together. I dont think this is healthy for the overall industry, and all it does is lock a large number of titles to one platform (+PC in some cases). I only ok with it if the situation is a company is going under, and its either sell or close it's doors. However, most of the recent acquisitions (this included), its just about expanding their own IPs at the expense of their competitors. I always shake my head when you see threads of people cheering this shit on, I just don't get it.
I remember when the music biz had a lot of powerful entities...now its just three big players. We seen the same thing happening in the movie space and I think its inevitable it happens in gaming. We hear devs talk all the time in worrying fashion about the costs of development and the risks when trying new ideas. I think its an inevitability that more consolidation happens and the biggest players with the deepest pockets will be the ones left standing. Whats concerning is when these big companies dont do right by the Ips and milk them without understanding what made them good. I dont mind aquisitions, what I do hate is when great IP get locked up with companies who lack vision and ideas, but ought them anyway.

RickMasters

For. All industries have been going towards mass consolidation. From food, tech, and entertainment companies, I'm not sure why users on here think the videogame industry would be exempt
from this. We already see Ubisoft struggling as the budget for AAA games has increased. TecmoKoei is teaming up with EA to co publish their latest big budget game Wild Hearts.
All it takes it is for several big budget games to fail in order to leave a company in the red. We saw this with Bethesda. They sold to MS after several of their games flopped.
The industry will naturally go towards mass consolidation.
This. I think many gamers (especially those who get too attached to a 'team') tend to be quite ideologistic. often to the point of coming off, a bit naive (Usually rooted in console war nonesense). Fact of the matter is no business is run on fan service or what fans think is..... 'right'.

TO be a game dev is risky as a career choice akin to being an artist. filled with risks. and expenses. Id imagine some would like the safety net that a company as large as MS (or sony or nintendo for that matter) can potentially provide aswell as the risk-aversion that comes with gamespass..and the creative freedom that affords without worrying about how to keep the lights on and the salaries paid each month.

We may like where all the chips fall in the end but the chips will fall, where they are gonna fall...

Jennings

I voted "Don't Care."

To give a little perspective, my primary gaming devices are Xbox and Switch. I don't own a Playstation and have no interest in helping or hurting their platform. I just don't give a shit about ActivisionBlizzard games and don't care whether they hit Game Pass or not. I'm all but convinced Diablo IV will be hot garbage due to issues unrelated to the minute-to-minute gameplay, and that's the only ActivisionBlizzard game I would even have been interested in had Diablo Immortal not shit the bed so hard.

I just don't care. Whatever happens, I just want games available to play.

jigglet

Banned
This isn't the stock market, nerd.

Fucking THIS. I hate it when gamers refer to companies by their stock codes, unless the discussion is actually about investing.

Like "I really hope NTDOY has a new direct conference this year!" i mean who the flying fuck speaks like this. I see it all too often these days - did some kids throw a few bucks on some stocks and now think they're seasoned professionals?

I'm quite active in the stock market yet I'd never talk like this on a gaming board.

Last edited:

Pejo

I honestly don't care. I am still pulling for the AAA game industry to crash HARD. Hard enough that we go through a second videogame dark age and subsequent renaissance where gameplay is king, DLC is shamed, and a healthy amount of gatekeeping goes on to keep it from becoming mainstream again.

But I'm just a cranky asshole so there's that.

It benefits no-one other than MS. Not even Xbox gamers.

Why?

Because everyone forgets that AB is currently a multiplatform publisher whose games come to Xbox anyway. If MS wanted COD on GamePass, nothing would stand in the way of them paying AB half a billion to put COD on GamePass. Buying the publisher is about nothing but restricting content from their competition.

3liteDragon

I don't want mass industry consolidation & certainly not by a $2 trillion company who's in 3rd place & can't compete with their existing portfolio trying to cause massive market disruption with these massive acquisitions, so I'm against it & hope it gets completely blocked. Their studio management ain't looking so hot either. Same stance in a scenario where Sony tries to get ABK.

And I don't care about those games coming to Game Pass, MS can easily afford that kind of money to bring them to GP but they want permanent control of the IP which is the main reason they're trying to acquire them. And then they'll eventually take those games away permanently from the competitor platform just like they did with Bethesda, I don't care how many times good guy Phil says they're willing to sign agreements, I don't believe a word coming out of his mouth.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Don’t care really, it’s the easiest position for one’s mindset. I’ll ultimately own all the boxes, so I’m not stressed if anything resulted in exclusivity.

Part of me doesn’t want it to go through, as consolidation is likely bad for consumers in the long run letting power & innovation reside in less places. And I’m a little skeptical of MS, just the corporation given their business services, subscription model leaning nature and with gaming everything from the Xbox one launch and lack of being able to get studios they already own to deliver relative to what has been invested already.

But if it goes through, then MS has certainly committed to the very long game, and Sony will react fiercely making it very interesting in this space.

Lasha

Fucking THIS. I hate it when gamers refer to companies by their stock codes, unless the discussion is actually about investing.

Like "I really hope NTDOY has a new direct conference this year!" i mean who the flying fuck speaks like this. I see it all too often these days - did some kids throw a few bucks on some stocks and now think they're seasoned professionals?

I'm quite active in the stock market yet I'd never talk like this on a gaming board.

If you're going to abbreviate you use a standard abbreviation. ATVI is unambiguous compared to ABK. One just says "Activision" when speaking.

I'm sure that you're very active in the stock market. I'm happy for your success. Implying that I am a kid should be beneath you. I'm surprised that as a seasoned hand that you aren't more bothered by gamers making a butchery of financial news in their efforts to Stan multinational companies. Im also baffled that somebody as well learned as you have trouble reading instructions.

//DEVIL//

I voted for.

But I do not trust MS management. they are shit. If Activision stays the same but just under the MS name then great. but the minute MS and the Xbox division start to THINK they can manage or want to manage ANYTHING, its game over. they should be independent under MS umbrella. not sure how can I explain it really but that's how I feel.

its just Sony has so much power. they are pretty much controlling most if not all third-party companies to make exclusives on their platform whatever from 1 month to 2 years.

on the other hand. MS owning ACT is almost a monopoly at this point ( especially since Sony refused to sign a 10 years agreement for COD on PS consoles. meaning MS ( if they win ) have no obligation to release COD on PS5 unless they had to sign some sort of an agreement like that with CMA etc, which I do not think is the case.

Iced Arcade

You don't refer to google as alphabet?!

Top Bottom