• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For or Against the ABK Acquisition (read OP first)

For or Against

• For

Votes: 152 38.3%
  • Against

Votes: 178 44.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 67 16.9%

• Total voters

GenericUser

I buy the toy, that plays the games, I want to play. So it doesn't really matter to be honest. Although I have to say, that I prefer the xbox controller. I have no stakes in either sony or microsoft, so I do not gain any benefit if one or the other wins the console war. In my eyes, the are both assholes, because I have to give them my money.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t care much what happens, it’s fun to follow the procedures and I’m hoping stuff we don’t know about will leak to the public.

But in general I’d say I’m against all of these big buyouts.

Vehemently against. Platform holders should not be permitted to buy out publishers--this should apply to Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Google, Valve, and Epic. Think I covered them all.

This leads to reduced competition, higher prices, closing or reduction of studios, layoffs, and a general hollowing out of the industry. Consumer choice is eroded, people's livelihoods get put into disarray, autonomy is lost.

There is literally no benefit to anyone but wealthy executives in the purchased entity who get golden parachutes, the fatcats of the platform holder itself, and fanboy console warriors who get to tick off another box on their sheet because they think faceless corporations are their super best friends forever.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Activision Blizzard King?
Why King? King of what? What kind of drugs are you on OP? What is even the point of anything in here?

Robb

Gold Member
Activision Blizzard King?
Why King? King of what? What kind of drugs are you on OP? What is even the point of anything in here?
I’m mot sure if this post is ironic or not, but if not King is the mobile branch who own stuff like Candy Crush and a ton of other IP.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I’m mot sure if this post is ironic or not, but if not King is the mobile branch who own stuff like Candy Crush and a ton of other IP.
Hm, I know of that company, I read that it is owned by AB, however, the name is still Activision Blizzard, not AB King.

Last edited:

linkent

Microsoft acquisition is always take value away from other platform.
Gamers made this meme for EA but it is mostly the same for MS.

uBVXeXG_d.webp

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Hm, I know of that company, I read that it is owned by AB, however, the name is still Activision Blizzard, not AB King.
I think the abbreviation is used to clarify which companies are being bought, might be because King is arguably the biggest of the three.

From what I can tell it has been used frequently in most discussions about this deal.

Banned
I am 100% for it.

Activision Blizzard is currently in absolute shambles. making terrible move after terrible move.

they ruined Overwatch's core design philosophy in order to sell characters in battlepasses.

they let Vicarious Visions make THE BEST Tony Hawk game since the GameCube days, and then degrade them to a support team inside of Blizzard without any autonomy.

all they do these days is release Call of Duty and ruin Blizzard games with every step they make.
they have often 3 to 5 studios working on a single CoD title... a complete waste of manpower.
most studios were completely robbed of their own identity and just degraded to CoD support slaves

so IMO an acquisition can only be a good thing.
99% of their IPs is locked away deep in the basement, with Microsoft having access to them these might finally re-emerge and can be given to either other Xbox Studios or third party contractor studios.

the worst case scenario is that they keep being shit... so not much to lose here

Last edited:
Gaming is becoming fing expensive so I'm all for any corporate actions that ultimately means I have to pay less to enjoy my hobbie. Gamepass is really the only place in gaming where I can actually say "Huh, this is actually good value for my money”. More games being added to it will always be welcome.

Ofc I wil re-evaluate the value proposition when prices go up or the service changes somehow, but at the here and now, I'm all for the acquisition.

Against - I don't think any Console manufacturer should be buying Publishers. Even companies such as Google Apple or Amazon I'd be wary of as it has the potential for monopolistic practices which can be unhealthy for the industry.

If one of the big 3 ( MS, Sony or Nintendo) wants to buy a single game studio, and it makes sense for them to do so, I think that's perfectly fine. Acquiring an entire publisher is a completely different ball game, and if this sort of thing becomes more of a common practice, then it sets a dangerous precedent for the gaming industry as a whole.

Let's say this acquisition is approved, what's next? Sony decides to buy Take 2 in order to compete, or Nintendo in turn buys Sega. Before long all the major publishers are bought up, massive lay offs as the companies are restructured and it's harder and harder for the little guys to compete and ultimately there will be even less risk taking, more and more sequels and less and less new IPs, less originality and innovation in gaming.

I'm definitely for the acquisition. I dont care anything about Activision-Blizzard. While if the acquisition fails, Microsoft will suddenly free up 68 billion to spend on anything I do care bout. Let the lames get the lames.

Godot25

Banned
On one hand you have worries about
industry consolidation - which are pretty laughable since Xbox + ABK would have like 10% of market share
"COD won't be on PlayStation" - which are addressed by Microsoft through 10 year deal

On other hand you have
Breathing room for Activision studios to not be in constant COD mill
Possibilities to revive old ABK franchises like Starcraft, Hexen etc.
Getting rid of Kotick
ABK Games on Game Pass which is beneficial to players
No need to release COD at yearly basis
COD on Nintendo Switch

So yeah. Sign me the fuck up, because I think that positives outweighs the negatives

pasterpl

For. It is quite simple, it benefits me as a gamer (mainly on this platforms; pc, Xbox, xcloud user, steam deck) and gamepass user. Will also benefit switch users at some point. No one is losing anything for at least 10 years and maybe MS can sort out mess that is happening at ABK.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Personally indifferent. I buy Call of Duty every couple of years, but don't really care if I'll be able to get it for free on Gamepass or not.

Based on the IP that the deal would bring into Microsoft's ownership, I'm surprised at the $70Bn valuation. From where I sit, it's Call Of Duty and some games that aren't as popular as they used to be. I'm not sure there aren't many, many better uses for the money.

I'm surprised at the hand wringing this has triggered too. Call of Duty is pretty good, but I never hear anyone saying they love it. Lots of people groaning at the price and saying that it's the worst cod in years is what normally happens when a new game comes out. If Microsoft do buy the company, if the first COD that comes out while under their ownership is met with anything more positive than "lol worst cod ever" then it'll be fair to say that's mission accomplished and job well done.

So from a gaming perspective, I think it's a fairly underwhelming deal, I'm surprised people seem to want/don't want it to happen with such fervor. I'm not even sure anyone really does want it aside from wanting to argue about it. It seems to be that you could do a lot with $70bn. COD and Tony Hawk doesn't seem like enough.

From an industry perspective, Activision is selling to someone. It's either Microsoft who have shown great commitment to gaming or someone like Meta who are more likely to to change the nature of the company's products and business imo.

I also think getting caught up in console wars and content for Gamepass is not what this is about. This is about the longer term threat to Microsoft as a whole from other tech giants over the next ten or twenty years. I honestly don't think that the short term competition is what has driven the purchase.

So, to some degree, I think change is on the way for Activision Blizzard and things staying the same is mostly off the table. But for those who do want things to stay the same, imo Microsoft are the ones most likely to deliver it - for the next ten years anyway.

Edit: found out ambivalent is not what I am on this, I'm indifferent.

Last edited:

Griffon

A world where gamepass is in a dominant position is a world in which gamers refuse to buy games anymore.

It means a world where MS gets to be the sole arbiter of what games gets in, how much they get paid, and how much exposure they get. It's a fucking nightmare world. The death of every creators who aren't randomly in the good graces of MS.

Acquiring huge IPs like CoD would make them closer to that shit future. And I say fuck that, and I have absolutely no pitty for gamepass sycophants not getting anymore games for their expensive rental service.

Last edited:

yamaci17

I'm against it. xbox division is incapable of managing studios or steering towards the right direction. worse yet, they buy capable studios and most likely will steer them towards ruin as well

Toots

Gold Member
I've been thinking about this thread and whether it would be sensible to post it given this is NeoGaf. But i've been thinking... there will be one rule. You cannot reply to a post. You can only make one post in the thread and it will be on whether you are for or against the acquisition (or dont care) and why. It is important to hear peoples opinion and in some cases it is better to hear them unopposed (well not really.... but this is NeoGaf after all).

This is a subject that will obviously lead to console warring and we don't wont any of that hence the one post rule (and no post editing to counter someone's post).

So

Which side are you on and why.

Edit: Because someone asked... ABK = Activision Blizzard King
It has been my honor to vote without reading OP first, and to reply to the first post. If i could i'd reply to all the posts in the thread just to spite you Schmick Schmick you controlling freak.
edit : of course i'm gonna edit. I don't care about ABK, but i'd like to see HBK giving you the sweet chin music OP :p
fne7aAo.png

Last edited:

Cyborg

Against.

In the end, a company with unlimited resources will try to control the market by buying it. Clearly organic growth is not possible or fast enough for MS and down the road (let's say 15 years) you will have a lot of IPs locked behind Microsoft's ''solution''. It will be an Xbox console + PC and a monopolist was never good for the consumer or innovation! In the end we lose.

Gojiira

Banned
Honestly, if it goes through I see it as a win for Sony. Why? Because if a 60billion+ or whatever deal can go through there would be no grounds for preventing Sony buying Kadokawa/From Software or Konami or Capcom or CDPR etc etc. Im sure people will disagree with me but meh.

Swift_Star

Banned
For. All industries have been going towards mass consolidation. From food, tech, and entertainment companies, I'm not sure why users on here think the videogame industry would be exempt
from this. We already see Ubisoft struggling as the budget for AAA games has increased. TecmoKoei is teaming up with EA to co publish their latest big budget game Wild Hearts.
All it takes it is for several big budget games to fail in order to leave a company in the red. We saw this with Bethesda. They sold to MS after several of their games flopped.
The industry will naturally go towards mass consolidation.
It's bad for all industries.

drganon

Against. Microsoft can't manage the studios they have already. Industry consolidation/monopolization is never a good thing anyway.

Gandih42

Against.

I don't agree with the idea of consolidation of all these IPs from either Sony or Microsoft. Or in the media industry in general. I don't believe it will be for the better of customers or the industry long term. The only benefit I see is that it can create or maintain competition between the big three consoles, but this is in my eyes a really dangerous way to do that. Despite the arguable lack of next-gen exclusives the Xbox seems to be doing really well and much better than last generation, so I don't feel like this is necessary from maintaining strong competition. If it were to pass, I don't think it would shift the console landscape short term, but I'd be fearful of longer term entrenchment of each consoles position. Recent events in the tech sector don't really paint these tech giants as benevolent well-intentioned behemoths.

On the bright side though, it's just videogames.

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

The whole thing will shrink the market. Look at Bethesda caught in the Microsoft layoffs. Corporations are not there to make your life better, they are there to make money. Microsoft's approach is to consume all studios and drown out the competition. They did this before with other products and they will do it again.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
DN8Cy.jpg

On the topic, i don't like consolidation but i'm mostly in favor because:
a) ABK in its current state sucks and i doubt microsoft could make things much worse.
b) If MS doesn't buy it, someone like Amazon or Google would, and that would be much worse.
Basically this... What most against don't know or care about is that someone else would buy them and remove them entirely from console/PC space to make them exclusives to the Cloud.

I only support the deal because I'd rather have COD exclusive to Game Pass than exclusive to Occulus...

Also the arguments given by FTC and all their actions, come on, they're so out of touch that I want them to loose just because.

Fbh

As someone who primarily plays on Sony consoles I'm somewhere between agree and don't care.

While I personally don't care about and don't buy Activision Blizzard games (well except Sekiro but that's a From game they just happened to publish in the west) I wouldn't mind Sony starting to feel some real pressure from Microsoft. IMO best case scenario as a Playstation owners would be if Xbox ended up selling as much or more than Ps5 this gen, make Sony feel like they actually have to fight to keep customers instead of making their console $150 more expensive in my country just because they know Playstation is the more popular brand.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
For, because Actiblizz fucking sucks and Microsoft cannot possibly make it any worse.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You realize red dead redemption 2, GoW 2018, Last of Us 2, Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, Cyberpunk and many more games struggled to come about? Devs that worked on those projects have spoken how troublesome the development was.

Making games is very hard, who would have thought. Halo infinite and Starfield are hard projects.

It seems like arkane, tango, coalition, rare, double fine, obsidian, turn 10, Mojang, playground games, ninja theory, and more are relatively developing games at a steady rate.

I didn’t know they were developed under the same umbrella?

Paltheos

Probably no on a matter of principle. I'm afraid that level of conglomeration would be bad for everyone (but am admittedly no expert).

On the other hand, I own 10 shares of ATVI, didn't check out when the acquisition plans were announced, and would like to generate a return.

DavidGzz

Nothing would change except for I wouldn't have more games accessible via Game Pass if it doesn't so not sure why I'd be against. Also more competition would force Sony to become hungrier. I own a PS5 as well, so it's a win-win.

Edit: Also, Sony and Nintendo can't afford them so MS keeping them away from Tencent, Google, or Amazon is also a win. I don't want to have to buy yet another console or have to play Diablo 4 or whatever via streaming only.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'm kinda mixed on it. I generally don't play abk games, I don't have gamepass, but at the same time I feel like this is just going too far. I was shocked by the Bethesda acquisition but I thought it was a good get for Microsoft. I kinda felt like it put them nearly on equal footing with Sony. I kind of just want the acquisition to go through in order to see Sony's response.

A world where gamepass is in a dominant position is a world in which gamers refuse to buy games anymore.

It means a world where MS gets to be the sole arbiter of what games gets in, how much they get paid, and how much exposure they get. It's a fucking nightmare world. The death of every creators who aren't randomly in the good graces of MS.

Acquiring huge IPs like CoD would make them closer to that shit future. And I say fuck that, and I have absolutely no pitty for gamepass sycophants not getting anymore games for their expensive rental service.
This. Nailed it.
Totally against.

I own all the console platforms and I'm locked into GPU for 3 years, but I'm against the Acti-Blizzard acquisition.

Microsoft own a lot of developers and still have very little first party output, I don't think it's right that they can just buy a publisher to make it seem like they have first party games.

I'd like to see them actually develop their own IP, the very few they have I've enjoyed like Forza & the Horizon series and Gears of War (even though the original wasn't really MS) sequels, but i want more from them, MS Game Studios needs to wake up, they need better creatives and not just throw money around to try and become something they're not.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
How is this different to how things work now? Xbox decide what is on GamePass but it's unclear how these deals are made in terms of what the devs get paid.

Similarly Sony would be going through a process where they decide what is on PS Plus and what the commercials look like with the devs.

I get the "MS is bad. They have a lot of money. Lots of money is bad" narrative - but let's not all pretend the shit Nintendo and Sony do to be competitive is better than what Xbox do.

Top Bottom