• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(for players with multiple platforms) how do you decide which platform to buy your games?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
For people who have multiple platforms I am curious how does everyone decide where they buy their games. Here's mine

PC
  • Practically everything (except local multiplayer games) due to dirt cheap price, free online, fidelity, backward compatibility, controller support, mod and other reasons
Xbox
  • new Xbox 1st party games (via Game Pass) but will buy them on PC when deep discount
  • for console games not on Steam (Judgement, Halo 5, Rumble Roses, Resident Evil Code: Veronica etc). Buying them on Xbox and not on Switch/Playstation due to better backward compatibility support
Nintendo Switch
  • Nintendo 1st party games
  • 3rd party local multiplayer games (Overcooked, Moving Out, Shredder's Revenge etc) because Switch is easily the best platform for local multiplayer
Playstation 4/5
  • Playstation 1st party games, and only in physical format (so that when they are released on PC I can sell them and buy on PC)

Basically Xbox as a game pass/retro & console game machine, Switch for 1st party/couch games, PS5 for 1st party games and everything else on PC.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I'll be honest, before all the games were for ps4, because it's my main console.

But since Sony became a hypocrite, with Jim Ryan being a criminal and a bad contribution to the consumer, I stopped buying the ps4 editions.

On the other hand, Nintendo, incredibly, with the Switch has left me satisfied and it has been a great console, therefore… I mainly make the editions of the games on the Switch, unless the graphic changes are significant.

Last edited:

Jennings

Switch
XBox
PC
I'll ignore mobile.

I will only ever buy or play a game on PC if it is unavailable anywhere else or is horribly ported to consoles (Grim Dawn, Patch of Exile, Prison Architect etc)
I will buy everything else on Xbox if it is available.
I will only ever buy it on Switch if it is only available on Switch.

In some cases I will buy both a PC and console version because I want to play it in both places and the ports are stellar (Age of Wonders: Planetfall, Crusader Kings 3, Rimworld, Diablo 3 etc)

And I never bother with emulation or any of that fiddly bullshit.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I only have PlayStation 4 and Switch now so either graphics/performance or portability, 360/PS3/PS2/Wii remasters go to Switch, graphically demanding games or exclusives on PlayStation

Rykan

I currently don't own any next gen systems as I moved to another country, but what I did before moving:

Xbox Series X: Multiplatform console of choice. Quiet system and no coil whine.
Playstation 5: Exclusives only, but I must confess that I didn't use it as much as I thought I would. I had a system with terrible coil whine and that just ruins
the experience
Switch: First party games, some multiplatform games for portable play.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
For people who have multiple platforms I am curious how does everyone decide where they buy their games. Here's mine

PC
  • Practically everything (except local multiplayer games) due to dirt cheap price, free online, fidelity, backward compatibility, controller support, mod and other reasons
Xbox
  • new Xbox 1st party games (via Game Pass) but will buy them on PC when deep discount
  • for console games not on Steam (Judgement, Halo 5, Rumble Roses, Resident Evil Code: Veronica etc). Buying them on Xbox and not on Switch/Playstation due to better backward compatibility support
Nintendo Switch
  • Nintendo 1st party games
  • 3rd party local multiplayer games (Overcooked, Moving Out, Shredder's Revenge etc) because Switch is easily the best platform for local multiplayer
Playstation 4/5
  • Playstation 1st party games, and only in physical format (so that when they are released on PC I can sell them and buy on PC)

Basically Xbox as a game pass/retro & console game machine, Switch for 1st party/couch games, PS5 for 1st party games and everything else on PC.
Pretty much this. Only difference is my criteria does depend on whether i wanna play on a monitor or TV

drezz

90% on my PC and 10% on PS5.
PS5 games typical exlusives (regardless of them coming on PC later, I rather experience it fresh before I get spoiled; like GoW:R) and couch co-op games for when Mates are over to play something locally.

But mostly on PC, cause of M&K > Controllers in FPS and achiving and maintaining higher FPS@ higher RES. Got a beefy PC.
I also play VR games on PC, will get PSVR2 as it launches and might start growing my library there, depending on how well they run and what games comes around.

ssringo

If it's on PC (or confirmed coming to PC) I buy it there. Otherwise I buy it on Switch. Playstation collects dust and XBox stays on the store shelf.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Series X and PS5

If it’s a game I’m looking forward to by a dev I wanna support, I’ll buy it in PS5.

DualSense/Haptics really make a world of difference for me vs Xbox controller.

Right now the Xbox is just for random smaller games i give a chance to on game on gamepass

Last edited:
Used to buy everything on the One X due to the massive difference the Pro. This gen I only have a PS5 because I feel like the difference isn't big enough to justify having all systems for me.

With that said I have a Switch for Nintendo games and portability. I have a PS5 for Sony 1st party games but do buy my 3rd party games on it.

MiguelItUp

I typically always buy on PC because you can usually find the lowest prices there. My PS5 and Switch are strictly exclusives for the most part.

Fredrik

I’m so boring, these days I simply go where it’s the cheapest.

I play on Xbox if games are up on Gamepass.
I play on PS5 if games are up on PS+.

And when I do buy games I play on PC for maxed out visuals, higher fps and mods.

Steam Deck is the only interesting thing about my gaming habits, it has injected lazy and comfy into my PC gaming.

Edit: I should add, the couch and home-theater setup is a reason to play on console too. I still don’t have a way to play PC properly that way.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PC, everything I really want to play with a mouse or add to my steam library.

Xbox every multiplatform game and anything specific I want to enjoy on my LG CX. Purely because I trust Microsoft with my library and backwards/forward compat.

Ps5 purely exclusives.

Switch exclusives and anything I wanna play anywhere.

Maybe soon to be steam deck will sway me to more PC. Says my order will be available in September but I'm in two minds.

Filben

PS5: AA(A) games with good DualSense support (adaptive triggers), exclusives

PC: everything else; smaller games, indie games (for Steam Deck compatibility and performance), AA(A) games that looks visually more impressive on PC but don't have full and good DualSense support.

Knightime_X

PC
* Pretty much any game I feel current gen consoles can't handle at 60fps with a decent resolution like 1440p
* Any game I have intentions of using cheat mods either right away or after completing the game (single player)
* Mods
* customization

For Xbox and Ps5
It depends.
Fighting games I favor PS5 but for FPS I perfer SX
Lately, i've been favoring Xbox over PS5 for most games while using ps5 as a fighting game \ rpg machine
When it comes to last gen games, I get the ps4 version almost all the time.
XBO ports are fairly terrible.

Switch it's 1st party or pixel retro.
Switch's ability to handle even Xbox 360 level of graphics is pure shit. Looks awful.
Mostly nintendo and arcade\classic games

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I'll be honest, before all the games were for ps4, because it's my main console.

But since Sony became a hypocrite, with Jim Ryan being a criminal and a bad contribution to the consumer, I stopped buying the ps4 editions.

On the other hand, Nintendo incredibly with Switch has left me satisfied and it has been a great console, therefore... the editions of the games I do mainly on Switch, unless the graphic changes are very significant.

jTr2HZH.gif

Crayon

The switch doesn't get used much...

Between ps5 and PC I'm like 50/50. I'd rather have most games on steam I think. My wife much prefers the ps5 tho so games we are both going to play, we get on there.

Lasha

I buy everything for PC except for Nintendo exclusives. I keep a PS5 around purely for local fighting game events.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
  • PC for pretty much everything.
  • Series S in the living room cuz im not lugging my whole PC around, and my nieces and nephews must be entertained. (Also console exclusive Gamepass box)
  • PS5 at the neighbors house cuz theres only what 1 or 2 games per year I "NEED" a PS5 for. So its easier to NOT own it and steal it over weekends when i need to. Worse still now that Sony publish eventually, I can probably just wait.

Robb

Gold Member
On Switch I only buy first party software these days. Usually day one since prices tend to stay up anyway.

On Xbox I don’t buy anything, it’s all GamePass.

On PlayStation I buy everything else, although I haven’t picked up a Ps5 yet.

Arcadialane

I buy all 3rd parties that are available on switch because I want to support 3rd parties on that platform,

It's also nice to be able to play sitting down on the big tv, or pop the console out and have it mobile.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
PC all the way. I played on Playstation for years(PS 1-2-3-4), but due to both the high game prices (where I live) and the low performance of the games (compared to the Pc), with the effect of the rising crossplay trend, I turned to the PC completely. I even buy the games I have on Ps 4 and play them on my Pc(like Call of duty, Battlefield, Fallout 4 etc.). I've been living the golden period of my gaming life for 3 years. I have an ongoing Ps Plus membership, but I almost never open the Ps4. I'm keeping it for NHL if I ever need to scratch that itch. So long, my console friend.

Hoppa

Everything physical I get on PS5. Series X is my first Xbox so starting a physical collection is a bit daunting, right now it’s just a Gamepass machine

Patrick S.

Banned
If it's a game I think my kid will want to play, I'll get it on PS5, because he doesn't have a PC. Then I'll get frustrated about the controller aiming and get it on PC anyways. I'll only buy a game on Xbox if it's something I want to play on my TV right now and it's on sale there but not on PlayStation. I have a Switch, but I never buy any games for it, even though I like the console.

BabyYoda

Banned
PC 99%, Xbox One X, the 1% that isn't on PC I guess.

Annoyingly I own Elden Ring on Xbox, I really want to play the inevitable DLC, but I'm not sure I can stomach an unstable 30fps ever again and Elden Ring is still expensive, so won't be buying a second copy anytime soon, also no cross buy or even cross save is lame in 2022 (1st world problems I know...).

Last edited:
if i want the best experience possible then PC. it's my main platform so most games i'll buy there.

if i want portability then Switch

if i don't really care and/or it's cheapest then i'll get it for ps/xbox.

Last edited:

Shivvy24

PS5 as main console so 1st and 3rd party

Nintendo Switch for 1st party, party games and do prefer my 3rd party platformers on switch too

Xbox for their 1st party and game pass, so I'm only only jumping on once in a few months and renew my game pass for a month when I need to.

Jks Stadia is where it's at 🔥🤣

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

PS5 - Sony exclusives, third party games from big publishers

Switch - Nintendo exclusives, retro and indie with the occasional third party "impossible port".

PC - Everything else

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
To be honest I'm pretty surprised by so many having an Xbox in here.

I used to buy everything on pc, then my GPU got fried and now I get it on xbox.

Also cheaper, as me and my gf can play at the same time with digital games.

PC - Singleplayer, insane graphics an such...I have a 3090...but singleplayer games that are multiplat I buy here unless..
Series X - My wife wants to play, then I get the single player here since shes an Xbox player..I also prefer multiplayer gaming on consoles on the Xbox over the Playstation..Plus almost al my friends through the years are Xbox gamers.
PS5 - It's for the exclusives
Nintendo Switch - Exclusives, RPG's, Indies I wanna take with me since I travel for work a lot.

Banjo64

cumsessed
PS5 DE, Series S, Switch OLED.

PS5 DE; PS5 exclusives, From games, games associated with PS (Tomb Raider, Crash, Spyro).

Series S; Game Pass, online games, anything and everything.

Switch; Nintendo exclusives, indies, console games I want on the go (Tony Hawks etc.).

I think if Nintendo had a trophy system, handle system, messaging/voice chat like PlayStation I’d play most of my games on their platform.

M1987

If it's a third party game, I buy my games digitally on xbox because you can get keys so cheap.I got Elden ring for £22, and I don't think it's ever been below £49.99 on the ps store

Topher

Gold Member
PS5 for most games if they have a Platinum that looks fun to get, especially first party. Also games with physical copy so I can resell when done.

Xbox Series X for games on Game Pass.

PC for first person shooters, cRPGs, flight/space sims, StarCraft.

MikeM

Ps5- Everything that uses Dualsense well. Obviously exclusives. PS Plus Premium membership that will be downgraded to Extra.

Series X- Mainly a back compat and GamePass only machine. Toddler uses it the most since the controller is smaller than the PS5 controller.

Generally though, i’ll buy a game on whatever machine if there is a significant price or performance difference. The slight resolution advantage on Series X thus far has not outweighed the Dualsense for me.

Beechos

PC - RTS/Retro/indie...
Xbox series x|s - Everything
Playstation 5- sony games
Switch - nintendo games
Steamdeck - retro/indie

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
To be honest I'm pretty surprised by so many having an Xbox in here.
I used to buy everything on pc, then my GPU got fried and now I get it on xbox.
Also cheaper, as me and my gf can play at the same time with digital games.
Pesky Green rats are everywhere, very hard to kill.
And Game Pass is just such a boon its hard to ignore.
Ps5- Everything that uses Dualsense well. Obviously exclusives. PS Plus Premium membership that will be downgraded to Extra.

Series X- Mainly a back compat and GamePass only machine. Toddler uses it the most since the controller is smaller than the PS5 controller.

Generally though, i’ll buy a game on whatever machine if there is a significant price or performance difference. The slight resolution advantage on Series X thus far has not outweighed the Dualsense for me.
Dont you have a pretty heavy PC?
Since the latest DualSense SDK released for PC, alot of games that have DualSense features on PS5 use those same features on PC.

P.S The_Mike and MikeM........suspicious

KungFucius

King Snowflake
PC ( on big screen TV)- everything available unless I can get it cheaper on PS5 used - Did this for Guardians of the Galaxy before it was on Gamepass. PC games have much tighter pricing control in recent years.

PS5 - Exclusives - I fucking hate the way the HDMI CEC bullshit switches to PS5 whenever I turn the TV on and switches back to it if I switch away too soon, so most of the time the system is disconnected and collecting dust.

Switch - Exclusives

I stopped paying the Xbox tax middle of last gen when they started putting everything on PC. Maybe a Series S is a better option than buying a good GPU for the PC I have hooked up to the family room TV.

Valt7786

If one performs and looks better on one of the other consoles, I'll pick that one. Some games I feel "belong" on certain platforms (which i know is dumb) like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil etc always get for PS. Assassins Creeds etc for Xbox, again, I know its dumb but can't help it.

winjer

Gold Member
Currently, I only own a PC and Switch.

I buy most games on PC.
On the Switch I buy the Nintendo exclusives, like Super Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, etc.

Top Bottom