• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(for players with multiple platforms) how do you decide which platform to buy your games?

Markio128

I’d say 3/4 games I buy are platform exclusive in some form or another, so it goes without saying that most of my purchases this year have been on PS5 and Switch.

Reizo Ryuu

PC version first always, unless I feel the dev probably put more effort in the console version.
Also depending on coop/crossplay, I might get the xsx version instead.

teezzy

Banned
If I can get it on Xbox, I'll buy it there. Series X is my preferred platform and ecosystem.

My PC, Switch, and PS5 are for exclusives

Hohenheim

Playstation for their exclusives, Switch for short sessions-indie games, graphic novels and exclusives. PC for everything else (including Game Pass)
So it's probably 80% PC

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Probably primarily Ps5 for most games and exclusives, Series X for GamePass games and if it's cheaper to buy on that, PC for anything that's not on console, or can be had for a decent discount.

MikeM

Pesky Green rats are everywhere, very hard to kill.
And Game Pass is just such a boon its hard to ignore.

Dont you have a pretty heavy PC?
Since the latest DualSense SDK released for PC, alot of games that have DualSense features on PS5 use those same features on PC.

P.S The_Mike and MikeM........suspicious
No PC here. Will be building once the new gen of cards come out. Good to know Dualsense is getting better pc support out there.

As for “The_Mike”… nothing to do with that account. Be weird to have two accounts with basically the same name.

Roberts

For the last four generations I’ve been mostly playing xbox and ps. Xbox for everything, ps for first party (ps3 was mostly used as an bluray player). I usually buy ps late in the gen so i can go through all the games and then sell it. Got Ps5 early this time around but it was collecting dust so I sold it. Will definitely buy another one so that I can play exclusives at the end of this generation.

The Shepard

PlayStation 5 for ps plus premium games and exclusives.

Xbox series x for gamepass.

Switch for exclusives.

And I'll buy the odd new 3rd party game on whichever platform I think it's best suited. Next big one will be RE4 remake and most likely buy it on ps5 like i did with 8. I also buy for all 3 in sales. To many games, not enough time.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Last gen Mostly PS4 with few exclusives for Xbox one. Once destiny hit I ended up buying a few bigger games like witcher on Xbox one because my controller was always dead after playin destiny so had to let it charge.

Once the pro and x came out it flipped flopped for me, majority of games on Xbox but exclusives and destiny on ps4. When cross play came to destiny swapped that over to.

Now everything on pc.

Sw0pDiller

PS5 for everything, pc mainly for minesweeper cuz it's shit. Nintendo gets nothing cuz my Wii u still has a massive virtual console backlog.

bootaski

PS5, PS4pro, PC

Current generation releases and games with PS5 boost, patch or version on PS5. Haven't retired my ps4 pro, most ps4 games I already own on that. Games with MK in mind(wasteland 2, pillars of eternity), steam releases of xbox games, older generation games that I haven't bought ps4 version of, on PC.

I was willing to try pc game pass and use xbox pc app but I couldn't get it to work. Microsoft gaming services glitched out, too.

slade

I've got a PS5 and a PC. For all the money I spent on the PC, it's ironic that now I'm buying most of my games for PS5. The end user experience for me, in terms of gaming, was piss poor on a PC. If I didn't have individual issues with games, I would have issues with controllers and their poor connectability. In the end, a console is just less of a headache and I'll take the graphical and fps downgrade.

Justin9mm

Series X and PS5

If it’s a game I’m looking forward to by a dev I wanna support, I’ll buy it in PS5.

DualSense/Haptics really make a world of difference for me vs Xbox controller.

Right now the Xbox is just for random smaller games i give a chance to on game on gamepass
My man!! This is exactly me also!

NinjaBoiX

I have all three platforms and I break it down like:

- Xbox for shooters and racers, this is a hangover from back in the day when PS controllers had crap triggers

- PlayStation for action adventure, fighting, puzzle, platforming, etc

- Switch for Nintendo games and whatever else suits the handheld medium better

Of course gamepass and PS+ now also dictate some of these decisions.

BlackTron

It really depends on the game. I deliberated greatly on what platform to get the new Lego Star Wars on. It's the type of game I definitely want on a console, not constrained to my behemoth PC. Being a multiplayer Lego game, Switch seems like the obvious choice, but I settled on Xbox because the performance is SO MUCH better.

Shredder's Revenge would not make much difference performance-wise to get on Switch though. However, it's on Gamepass so I haven't even bought it yet. When I do, it'll be Switch.

Situations like above mean that the only real rules left are that RTS games are played on PC. The rest has become a fractured mess of weighted preferences.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Always PC. Switch and PS4 are for exclusives.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
If I want to record gameplay, usually MP 1st person shooters, then ps5. I can record the last 1 hour there and edit and upload from ps5

But if I don't care about that, most 3rd party games on Xbox

Exclusives on ps5

Obviously if on gamepass, then that

Switch right now is only for Nintendo exclusives

Last edited:

T-Cake

In a nutshell, I've been buying games on Steam for 18 years. And hardly played any of them.

I tend to use PS4/Xbox as a way to play new games (via Games with Gold, Game Pass, PS+, very cheap digital deals ~£8 or less) and then if I like something, I'll get it on Steam for any future playthroughs. Problem is new games are quite plentiful, time is pretty fleeting and therefore those 2nd or 3rd playthroughs on PC hardly ever happen because I'm playing something new on console.

Wonko_C

I only buy on console if it's not available on PC. I don't trust any company to maintain compatibility with my older games, and in the remote case Steam goes under, it'll be nothing a cracked executable can't fix.

cireza

Banned
Always Xbox.

I buy a game on Switch once per year lol. Keeping the console for now for a few retro collections, nothing more.

Belthazar

PlayStation unless exclusive elsewhere or on gamepass. If it's on Xbox/Switch and PC I'll get it on PC

Last edited:

Aion002

Other than exclusives...

Coop games without crossplay: Playstation

Everything else: Xbox.

Xbox backwards compatibility makes me regret buying multiplatform games on the ps3 and ps4.

Last edited:

Woffls

Nintendo exclusive?
Y > buy on Switch
N > continue...

Is it on GamePass?
Y > cool
N > continue...

60fps on Series X?
N > buy on PC
Y > continue...

20%+ more expensive on Xbox?
Y > buy on PC
N > buy on Xbox

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Series X unless it's not available there or PC if I feel mouse and keyboard is the better way to play.

timmyp53

PS5 for almost everything but Gamepass for PC for a 1-2 dollar trial fee when I feel like checking out something.

LostDonkey

Everything on Series X. Exclusives on PS5.

Don't use my PC really any more it's not as capable as the consoles now (2016 build)

Wohc

Banned

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
PlayStation for first choice for most things.

Nintendo for first party exclusives

Xbox for games on GamePass and/or exclusives.

PC for PC only games and double dipping on older games for Steam Deck.

All digital for all platforms.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Always PC unless its a console exclusive or in the very rare cases the console version is the definitive version.

gamer82

ps5 and switch here to be honest ive been hardly gaming and my switch oled hasn't been touched in a while. i favour graphics and backwards compatibility only really buy exclusives on Nintendo now.

Switch if at all possible, for the playability.

If it's not on Switch, or it runs like shit on Switch, then Xbox is first choice, because MS seem better at backwards compatibility than Sony. But if I can find it cheap on PS I'll get that.

PC is just for real time strategy games, and I only have about five of those, all from decades ago.

Do I want to play it portable, get the Switch version. Otherwise, get the PS5 version. Is it only on Xbox? Get it there.

avin

Most of what I want is sim-related, so PC. Xbox for the rest. This gen, I haven't decided if I'm picking up a PS5 yet. It'll take a truly great game on the PS5, with or without PSVR.

avin

So I've always had a preference towards Xbox based on their exclusives, their controller being better imo, achievements, Xbox Live being better for a large chunk of time, and now Game Pass. So I'll always buy multiplats on Xbox

Xbox: Exclusives and all multiplats that appear on Xbox
Nintendo: Exclusives and all multiplats that appear on Nintendo but not Xbox (Haven't bought any multiplats on Nintendo yet but it's theoretically where I would buy one if I was interested)
Playstation: Exclusives and all multiplats only on Playstation and PC
PC: Exclusives

Buki1

As someone with Series X with Gamepass and PS5 with PS Plus... what do you mean by "buying games"?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The only games I buy are Rockstar games and sony ones, and now i may get some on PS extra, the rest is gamepass.

So with rockstar games it will probably be Xbox because im more likely to keep a sub on that then PS. Unless Ps has a noticeable advantage.

As someone with Series X with Gamepass and PS5 with PS Plus... what do you mean by "buying games"?
Playing games you actually want to play and not being limited to whatever rentals are currently available.

And I also have GamePass, PS+ Premium and NSO. I still buy the games I want. In fact, I'll most likely let GP lapse, as I rarely find anything there I want to play, that I hadn't already done years prior.

Buki1

Playing games you actually want to play and not being limited to whatever rentals are currently available.

And I also have GamePass, PS+ Premium and NSO. I still buy the games I want. In fact, I'll most likely let GP lapse, as I rarely find anything there I want to play, that I hadn't already done years prior.

The sad thruth is there are no games that I ACTUALLY want to play untill they release Witcher 4 or new decent Silent Hill. After watching Gamescom and E3 lifestreams the best that gaming industry can offer is "Well, I guess I can try it when i'm bored" tier games. And Gamepass and Ps Plus covers all of them.

Sosokrates

To be honest I'm pretty surprised by so many having an Xbox in here.

I used to buy everything on pc, then my GPU got fried and now I get it on xbox.

Also cheaper, as me and my gf can play at the same time with digital games.
Nothing surprising about it, its quieter, quick resume, game pass and generally a bit better performing more often then PS5.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Nothing surprising about it, its quieter, quick resume, game pass and generally a bit better performing more often then PS5.
Yeah I am aware of all what it's capable of, it's just when you only use Gaf to discuss anything gaming related, it sounds like no one really has an Xbox.

Sosokrates

Yeah I am aware of all what it's capable of, it's just when you only use Gaf to discuss anything gaming related, it sounds like no one really has an Xbox.
Maybe this is a more realistic representation of where People play.
The loudest are not always the majority.

reinking

Gold Member
It really depends. Sales, features, performance...

Generally the way it has been working this generation...

PC:
Basically any online shooter, rpg or stragegy game
Games that lend themselves to KB/Mouse
Emulated games
Anything I want to mod

Switch:
Nintendo exclusives
Indies I want to play in handheld mode
Deep discounts

PS5:
Sony first and second party
Third party with excusive content :) -jk
PSVR
Discounts/PS+ (freebie's, I don't have extra/premium right now)

XBSX:
Game Pass

Last edited:
Top Bottom