• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the entirety of last gen up until now, Naughty Dog hasn't created a single new IP.

Moses85

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

As long as their games are superb as they are.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Riding along with this is also a change of culture at Naughty Dog, the staff are...different, the priorities have changes, they seem to have social problems, and their communication with fans is lacking to say the least.

But I find it pretty sad that Naughty Dog has deformed so much over the years, that now they are ripping people off poorly communicating their plans with fans on their upcoming releases, and don't seem to be interested in ambition anymore.

Why do some gamers feel they’re owed communication from developers? Their job is to create games, nothing more.

A2una1

This isn’t just a naughty dog problem it’s a Sony one.

Sequels and franchises have a place. But they can be overdone. Ghost of Tsushima was the last new IP I remember from a Sony studio and it was bloody brilliant - deserves a sequel or new game in the same genre. Gran Turismo is also an iterative journey. I could play more of those (but I’d like Kaz to pass the torch and get some fresh eyes on it to evolve the series more - for example, give us real damage and collision physics!)

But everything else I can think think of from
their first party studios is a franchise game and I have a been there done that feeling with it all. God of War Raganarok isn’t even exciting me and I really enjoyed PS4s GoW.

I wish they’d just announce something new and exciting. Not LoU 3 or Uncharted 5.

Nope. Returnal was after Ghosts of Tsushima.

hinch7

I just hope there main team is working on a new IP.

Let the other team work on a new or Uncharted 1 remake.

Then do TLOU part 3 if needed ( start on it with another team )
Oh please, no. No more unnecessary remakes. Too many in the first few years of this console generation already.

Want to see new IP's from ND and new Uncharted entries. They killed TLOU franchise with 2 imo, so best put that on the back burner after the TLOU Pt 1.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The problem is with the leadership. They forced out Amy Henning after sabotaging her game, and then wasted 2 years of Druckman and Bruce Straley that couldve been spent on TLOU2 instead. Had they stuck with their 2 team approach, we are looking at a 2018 release for TLOU2. In fact, they shouldve expanded after the success of the second team's TLOU 1 and become a three team studio. Amy leads the Uncharted team, Neil TLOU team and a third team wouldve been prepping a next gen new IP for an early PS5 release.

I still cant believe the narrative and creative director of Lost Legacy has spent the last two years remaking a game that has not seen a single line of dialogue get changed. Not a single scene reshot. And absolutely no new narrative threads added. He's simply overseeing an asset flip. The man directed quite possibly their best told game of the last generation and his reward was to supervise a 2013 remake. Simply unacceptable.

The fact that Factions has taken 6 years to make is also troubling. What has the MP team been doing since Uncharted 4 was released in 2016? Why is it taking 6 years to release a concept art? Why dont they have resources? Especially when Sony is posting record profits every year?

I dont think the problem is wokeness or their new millenial/gen z devs throwing bitch fits on twitter. I think the problem is the upper management. Evan Wells, Neil Drunckman and of course Herman Hurst who is supposed to be overseeing every single Sony studio. Evan did an interview last year bitching about how hard it is for them to be a 2 team studio. Umm, between 2009 and 2013 your 2 team studio released 3 excellent games. Just keep doing what you were doing. Nah, but they had to fire Amy Henning and Justin Richmond. Prop up Neil as the big dick in the studio and effectively turn the studio into one man's pride. I really dont see why ND didnt start development on a new game after shipping TLOU2 in 2020. Other than because he was busy with Craig Mazin writing and directing TLOU show for the last two years. And because he's such an egomaniac, he didnt want the Lost Legacy director or some other ND dev making their own game. So he forced them to slave away on a remake and then forced them not to make any changes to the story, dialogue or even cutscenes outside of new facial animations and asset upgrades.

It all starts and stops with neil. He's still a great director. I know everyone on gaf hates his guts, but I think he's probably the best in the business, but you cant hold back an entire studio's output if you are too busy making tv shows.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

The pedestal that you've put them on is the problem. Prior to The Last of Us being introduced they only made Jak & Daxter and Uncharted games for almost an entire decade.

Last edited:
The last time Valve created a new IP was Left 4 Dead in 2008 (or 2010 if you count Alien Swarm I guess).

The last time id Software created a new IP was Rage in 2011.

The last time Rockstar created a new IP was RDR in 2010.

The last time SSM created a new IP was God of War in 2005.

The last time Crystal Dynamics created a new IP was Project: Snowblind in 2005.

The last time Larian created a new IP was the Divinity series in 2002.

The last time 343 Industries, The Coalition and Playground Games created a new IP was... never.

CD Project Red also never created a new IP as far as I know, all their games use licensed IPs.

ND created The Last of Us in 2013 and Uncharted in 2007.

Makes no sense to single out ND when it look like a pattern in the entire industry not to mention the fact that ND didn't create a new IP recently because they created two super successful IPs during the PS3 gen.

Last edited:
They spent too much time on TLOU 2. Rebuilding the engine and making it, and its MP. Then shortly after got put onto making TLOU Remake spreading them thin.

As much as I enjoy their technicality and attention to detail to their games, it feels like this generation has been A LOT tougher for them.
This generation hasn't even started for them, from where players are sitting.
Drunk the Man is directing a new IP as far as i understood. And creating new IPs are risky. Make the math at how long Rockstar dont create a new IP. Naughtydog is actually one of the studios that more risks take by creating new IPs. They just took advantage of the sucess Unchared and TLOU had by creating sequels. as they should.
Rockstar use to pump out new IPs left and right. They're only risky now because of the insane and unnecessary detail thousand man teams put into our games nowadays that add very little to the game as a game, and endless amounts of repetitive content to justify the price tag, bloating the dev cost and time way up and setting impossible standards in a zero sum game.

Another way to take advantage of success is using it to leverage interest in your new IP. Interest in new IP is highest when a developer has just proven themselves capable; if you keep pumping out sequels you pigeonhole yourself creatively and financially too because people no longer expect or want anything else from you.

Woggleman

A lot of studios rely on one or two franchises these days. Not many people are willing to take risks. I believe that TLOU2 deserved every award it got but ND does need to do something new as do many studios.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yup, great isn't it? and they get away with it.

i actually liked TLOU (including Part 2) but i'm so damn sick and tired of their games. I'm not touching the TLOU remaster. i want them to make something new and not just something with a new setting/characters with the same formula as TLOU/Uncharted where I fight wave after wave of enemies, push bins about, squeeze through tight spaces, and solve stupid puzzles.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The last time Valve created a new IP was Left 4 Dead in 2008 (or 2010 if you count Alien Swarm I guess).

The last time 343 Industries, The Coalition and Playground Games created a new IP was... never.

CD Project Red also never created a new IP as far as I know, all their games use licensed IPs.

Makes no sense to single out ND when it look like a pattern in the entire industry not to mention the fact that ND didn't create a new IP recently because they created two super successful IPs during the PS3 gen.
So what? We like ND over these other studios precisely because ND were releasing new IPs consistently unlike every other AAA studio. They went from Crash to Jak to Uncharted to TLOU in a span of 14 years. In the last 9 years, they have regressed to be just like every other studio.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's not so much ND making the same games over and over again, it's the holistic Sony studios. During the PS2 and PS3 gen they were pumping out tons of new IPs early and at full budget too. So for all the bragging against Nintendo and MS where they'd rehash the same IPs. Sony is no different now. All the giant franchises keep on coming out.

For PS5, the biggest new IP in the almost two years of PS5 on shelf is Returnal. And that's not even a big budget game. But GoW, Horizon, GT, Spiderman MM all came out.

So it shows, Sony's big number of IPs from years back wasn't so much about variety for gamers. But finding their footing which are the big sellers to keep making. No different than God of War and GT. Two big sellers which have a big audience, so they keep going. Cant remember the last different franchises they ever made.

ND looks like a LoU studio now (with UC in the background last game UC 4 in 2016) and Guerilla Games is currently a Horizon studio (last different game was KZ Shadowfall in 2011).

Last edited:

JaksGhost

So what? We like ND over these other studios precisely because ND were releasing new IPs consistently unlike every other AAA studio. They went from Crash to Jak to Uncharted to TLOU in a span of 14 years. In the last 9 years, they have regressed to be just like every other studio.
They created 4 IPs in 26 years... yeah they were really churning out those brand new intellectual properties huh? You're conflating the amount of games released with the number of new IPs. In the past 6 years Naughty Dog has released Uncharted 4, The Lost Legacy, and The Last of Us Part II. Some other studios couldn't churn that out in 2 generations.

They created 4 IPs in 26 years... yeah they were really churning out those brand new intellectual properties huh? You're conflating the amount of games released with the number of new IPs. In the past 6 years Naughty Dog has released Uncharted 4, The Lost Legacy, and The Last of Us Part II. Some other studios couldn't churn that out in 2 generations.
I'm curious as to what is going to happen to Uncharted, it's really hard to see Sony giving up on it yet it's also really hard to see ND going back to it any time soon.

Last edited:

MScarpa

I'll say it again, Factions is a complete waste!! Why put all that money and resources into an addon that was supposed to come WITH 2. Just my 2 cents. Carry on.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

Rush to the defense of ND

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'll say it again, Factions is a complete waste!! Why put all that money and resources into an addon that was supposed to come WITH 2. Just my 2 cents. Carry on.
ND are wasting their time with the TLOU1 remaster and Factions.

as soon as Part 2 was out they should've got to work on something new.

mortal

Gold Member
Wasn't the original TLOU Factions MP very popular?
Why would expanding it and making it more fleshed out be considered a waste of money and resources, when it could stand to generate even more revenue for Sony in the long term?

I don't understand why people keep arguing that Naughty Dog are somehow wasting money and resource.
You disliking something does not equate to it being a waste of money and resources for the publisher and developer.

If critical & commercial reception for both TLOU remake and Factions end up poor, then that'll be the actual indication. If they do well, that'll be a resounding no to that argument.

ND are wasting their time with the TLOU1 remaster and Factions.

as soon as Part 2 was out they should've got to work on something new.
They are working on something new. Are people not aware they have more than one team working on games?

Last edited:
Ridiculous thread.
You can swap Naughty Dog's name with most of the AAA studios around but it has to be ND for...reasons? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Most studios put out at least one new IP in the last 9 years.

Before Uncharted the market was flooded with bald space marine FPS.

There were more bald space Marine FP after Uncharted than before.

Before 2007? The FPS genre really wasn't that prevalent before (especially compared to post-COD 4) the first Uncharted game came out, but Uncharted's success became the staple franchise to emulate from.

Actually before FPS took off (outside of Xbox), what was flooding the market was Gears clones and Uncharted was one of them with the first game.

Nothing was cinematic until Uncharted 2, then afterward Heavy Rain introduced high cost almost no gaming, and then the industry was split between FPS and Cinematic hallways.

Lots of IPs have been around a long time and can remain fresh for me, like Mario and Zelda.

That's because they have to change the formula in order to keep those franchises appealing, because in most cases if they are iterative even to a smaller degree the next entries almost always have a drop in sales. The only Nintendo franchises this doesn't happen with are Pokemon and Xenoblade.

It’s amazing how people always have high expectations for PlayStation studios compared to the rest of the industry…
What is funny is that they don't even dare listing the studios that are doing a much better job in that regard. If anything it's impressive how productive ND is when you consider the absurd high bar that each of their releases is able to set.

Last edited:
Name them... quickly. Especially ones that are on the same level as Naughty Dog.

You're joking right? Most AAA studios released or have been working on a new iP waiting to be released in the last 9 years. Even EA, UBisoft, etc.

I think the 9 years part is what you aren't getting, that's almost 10 years. There were new IPS last gen that were AAA.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

You're joking right? Most AAA studios released or have been working on a new iP waiting to be released in the last 9 years. Even EA, UBisoft, etc.

I think the 9 years part is what you aren't getting, that's almost 10 years. There were new IPS last gen that were AAA.
EA and Ubisoft are publishers with multiple studios under them. Ubisoft alone has over 40 subsidiary studios. Naughty Dog isn't that. Now out of the singular STUDIOS making AAA games how many have created multiple IPs? Created and not licensed is the keyword here.

Last edited:
EA and Ubisoft are publishers with multiple studios under them. Naughty Dog isn't that. Now out of the singular STUDIOS making AAA games how many have created multiple IPs? Created and not licensed is the keyword here.

So Microsoft is a studio now using your logic? Or where all those posts about Microsoft IPs invalidated by the fact Microsoft has studios under them? This is a semantical argument. When a user said that Nintendo hadn't made a new IP in 7 years, where were you?

Even so, more studios put out new IP even on a small individual level than you think. yes there were a lot of sequels, but Naughty Dog has had 10 years, with more resources than most of the others, and hasn't put out a new game since 2013, a studio known for introducing new Ip every gen, and had time to put out 3 versions of one game in 9 years.

Last edited:

tmlDan

So Microsoft is a studio now using your logic? Or where all those posts about Microsoft IPs invalidated by the fact Microsoft has studios under them? This is a semantical argument. When a user said that Nintendo hadn't made a new IP in 7 years, where were you?

Even so, more studios put out new IP even on a small individual level than you think. yes there were a lot of sequels, but Naughty Dog has had 10 years, with more resources than most of the others, and hasn't put out a new game since 2013, a studio known for introducing new Ip every gen, and had time to put out 3 versions of one game in 9 years.
Resources mean higher quality games, not more of them.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Maybe because the creative talent left?
Same with R*.
I mean both share a lot in common in the last decade, only difference being is Dan only left 3 years ago.

Resources mean higher quality games, not more of them.

No resources can do both, and ND had both, that's why they had put out 5 new releases and two collections on the PS3 and helped another studio with a Vita game. But in 9 years they can't produce one new IP, but have given us the same game 3 times in that time period, an Uncharted collection, a 4th Uncharted, and an upcoming MP game based on the series they released 3 of the same game of, AND a standalone dlc release for that same series?

tmlDan

No resources can do both, and ND had both, that's why they had put out 5 new releases and two collections on the PS3 and helped another studio with a Vita game. But in 9 years they can't produce one new IP, but have given us the same game 3 times in that time period, an Uncharted collection, a 4th Uncharted, and an upcoming MP game based on the series they released 3 of the same game of, AND a standalone dlc release for that same series?
It can do both, but if you're striving for the quality in animations and voice acting and overall fidelity that ND strives for they are not big enough for a new IP alongside this unless they double in size.

Remember they outsource a TON of work too, it takes a ton of man power you are obviously ignoring because you like thinking you're right.

JaksGhost

They gave you the same game during that other period too. In the beginning with PlayStation it was Crash and Jax ('97-'05). That moved over to just Uncharted for the majority of the PS3 generation until The Last of Us at the very tail-end. They moved over to strict AAA games which have a different development timeline than their other games. You are conflating the number of games released with the number of brand new IPs that have been created.

Last edited:
Top Bottom