• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the entirety of last gen up until now, Naughty Dog hasn't created a single new IP.

ZehDon

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF
Why even bother posting if this is all the input you've got?

Aenima

They didn't crunch because they didn't have to put in 1/3rd if the effort on LoU Remake.
As its mentioned in the tweet. It seems there has been changes in the studio to make it healthier. You dont know the size of the team working in the remake so you cant say they just put 1/3 of the effort.

Last edited:
Here is what I think their roadmap will look like for this generation:

1. The multiplayer project: 2023/2024.
2. New IP: 2025
3-Next Uncharted: 2027
4-The Last of Us Chapter III: 2029

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Uncharted 4 > Uncharted Lost Legacy > The Last of Us Part II > The Last of Us Remake (Started by VAS) > The Last of Us Multiplayer

They had no time to develop a new IP.

Right now they're working on a new IP and The Last of Us multiplayer. Sony's major studios are hiring a lot of people to take on multiple projects.

Aenima

Uncharted was the best thing to happen to Naughty Dog financially, but the damage it has caused to creativity in the AAA industry is irreversible.
Before Uncharted the market was flooded with bald space marine FPS. Lets pretend, the AAA industry took risks and not chased a especific safe trend. The creative stuf always came from small studios. Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy and many original titles always came from small teams with small budgets. Now they come from indies.

We also got big budget risky projects like Returnal and Death Stranding.

Last edited:
They don't need too, Pony's love that cinematic shit. Their games basically play themselves or all play the same.

I say this from a long time playstation fan too but I saw the light a long time ago.

Naughty Dog, Kojima etc, great first timers, mediocre modern games.
I love the Naughty Dog style of game even after all these years. Nobody can make them like they do. What is a modern game anyway? There was plenty of combat in LoU2. Could've used more combat in Uncharted 4 though. Nobody except for Sony Santa Monica can make this style of "playable movie" that those 2 studios make. There are plenty of open world games with nonstop action but not a lot of cinematic games. If ND started making arcade games or playformers I would be sad.

A playable movie btw is something like Detroit Become Human, not Last of Us. What do you think they should do instead? How should they gameify their games?

Yep, tripple a gaming is fucked beyond repair. Big tripple a games take too long to make, and are too expensive to produce now to take a risk on an unproven property. Miss the days when naughty dog made things other than the last of us and uncharted

They ARE working on a new IP...

for fucks sake they need to bring back their ps2 ip, make a new ip, and then come back next gen with TLOU3 or some shit.

they dont know how to make j&d anymore unfortunately so i guess only shit to really look forward to is a new ip for now.

completely agree with bruv above me. triple A takes too long to make. what the fuck are generations anymore when at most u get 3 games from a dev over 10+ years? thats too slow lol fuck out of here with this shit.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
There franchises are still relatively young, and unlike some are not having signs of fatigue. So having new franchises is not something they need to do. Not many games like uncharted and TLOU.

hemo memo

Gold Member
look at rockstar. they haven't made a new IP in who the fuck knows how long. in the xbox/ps2 era they were getting weird with stuff like The Warriors (amazing game) and Bully. Now they are just begging 14 year olds to borrow their moms credit card and buy shark cards. AAA games industry is trash.
They made L.A. Noire 2 years before ND newest IP TLoU.

Before Uncharted the market was flooded with bald space marine FPS. Lets pretend, the AAA industry took risks and not chased a especific safe trend. The creative stuf always came from small studios. Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy and many original titles always came from small teams with small budgets. Now they come from indies.

We also got big budget risky projects like Returnal and Death Stranding.
Before 2007? The FPS genre really wasn't that prevalent before (especially compared to post-COD 4) the first Uncharted game came out, but Uncharted's success became the staple franchise to emulate from. "Cinematic" became the design mantra that defined and continues to define the gaming industry, with the push raising costs astronomically. Having cutting edge, cinematic games meant that game developers had to make a choice, do they want to introduce complexity into a game at the risk of being lambasted for imperfections that ruin the "cinematic immersion," or did they want to use simpler mechanics so they could more easily maintain that "cinematic" appearance? In order to focus their budget on motion capture and all of the other superfluous graphical technology, game studios went with the more simplified game design.

Japan suffered during the 7th generation because Uncharted's prioritization on cinematic quality was equated to "appealing to the West," with budgets increasing to capture that cinematic appeal, and the chase to be "cinematic" killing the identity of Japanese gaming until the Japanese realized that they needed to avoid the big budgets and focus more on the gameplay in the 8th gen as much as possible.

Look at Sony's biggest IPs right now, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, God of War, The Last of Us, they share a lot of similar design touches introduced by Uncharted and ultimately I think the IPs suffer for the more homogenized design. Horizon Forbidden West's open world is limited by the Uncharted-inspired climbing mechanics that allows the developer to control how the "cinematic" narrative is delivered to the audience and the same with Ghost of Tsushima and God of War. At times, these games can feel relatively clunky with how controlled the experiences are meant to be, and I think it is clear that Sony is not interested in delivering a variety of experiences beyond the "third person cinematic" games in regards to single-player games anymore.

A2una1

Ok then tell me the new IPs from 343, Polyphony, The Coalition and many many more. Heck, you can even argue God of War is not a new IP but has been revamped to look and feel totally new. When you want to bash Naughty Dog, you have to bash a lot of other studios to....
Also in some kind of ways you could say, even Elden Ring is just open world Dark Souls with a new Name on it.....

Naughty Dog has 2 incredibly well running IPs as it is, I don't see the need for them to create a new IP....

Last edited:

Neolombax

If Naughty Dog manages to excite me again with their work, I'm all for it. Not a big of their recent focus towards TLoU, but thats their decision. I'd rather see them following through with their supposedly cancelled sci fi game.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Considering the quality of uncharted and the last of us, I'd say they made the right choice vs some random new ip that might work out.

Dev times exploded for some reason I don't really see since 3d-scanning should make the need for more assets equally doable and games barely got more complex since PS360, but everyone seems to struggle to get their games out, so going from two new IPs to possibly only one or sometimes none per gen is hardly surprising, even if the studio got much bigger.
As long as Sony doesn't do like Activision does with CoD and throw several/ almost all studios on Destiny 3, Factions, or whatever their CoD competition will be, Sony as a whole is fine. There are more studios in the entire industry than ever working on games. If Naugthy Dog is stuck with Uncharted and TloU for the foreseeable future, maybe Good Boy is coming up with the new IP we don't yet know we want. The number of studios I did never hear before Embracer and Tencent bought them for some other gajillions moneyz is crazy and while many probably will try to copy some proven hit formula, someone among those might surprise with a new hit IP. Especially China and maybe finally Korea, eventually I also hope some African studio too, could enter with some new concepts or at least different stories and settings.

Kupfer

look at rockstar. they haven't made a new IP in who the fuck knows how long. in the xbox/ps2 era they were getting weird with stuff like The Warriors (amazing game) and Bully. Now they are just begging 14 year olds to borrow their moms credit card and buy shark cards. AAA games industry is trash.
What about Red Dead Redemption in 2010 and L.A. Noire in 2011?
But I get your point.

EDIT:
misread you post like PS2 era games where the last new R* IPs. NVM

Last edited:

GymWolf

And i'm down for a tlou3 that takes another 5-6 years to make tbh, we have so few realistic, slow, heavy, super gorey\violent tps with stealth on the market.

Just no more uncharted please.

Last edited:

rolandss

This isn’t just a naughty dog problem it’s a Sony one.

Sequels and franchises have a place. But they can be overdone. Ghost of Tsushima was the last new IP I remember from a Sony studio and it was bloody brilliant - deserves a sequel or new game in the same genre. Gran Turismo is also an iterative journey. I could play more of those (but I’d like Kaz to pass the torch and get some fresh eyes on it to evolve the series more - for example, give us real damage and collision physics!)

But everything else I can think think of from
their first party studios is a franchise game and I have a been there done that feeling with it all. God of War Raganarok isn’t even exciting me and I really enjoyed PS4s GoW.

I wish they’d just announce something new and exciting. Not LoU 3 or Uncharted 5.

Markio128

This isn’t just a naughty dog problem it’s a Sony one.

Sequels and franchises have a place. But they can be overdone. Ghost of Tsushima was the last new IP I remember from a Sony studio and it was bloody brilliant - deserves a sequel or new game in the same genre. Gran Turismo is also an iterative journey. I could play more of those (but I’d like Kaz to pass the torch and get some fresh eyes on it to evolve the series more - for example, give us real damage and collision physics!)

But everything else I can think think of from
their first party studios is a franchise game and I have a been there done that feeling with it all. God of War Raganarok isn’t even exciting me and I really enjoyed PS4s GoW.

I wish they’d just announce something new and exciting. Not LoU 3 or Uncharted 5.
Returnal, Death Stranding…

Markio128

He said Sony studio. Death Stranding is not a Sony studio and Returnal was years in the making or even released before it became a Sony studio.
It (Returnal) still released under a Sony Studio. That’s like saying anything Bethesda has released, or is about to release, like Starfield, is not under MS. New IPs are a rare commodity, but I don’t think criticising Sony on this aspect is particularly fair tbh.

Ellery

Wild that you picked Naughty Dog a studio that actually released amazing games with smaller intervalls during the PS4 generation compared to many other big studios that didn't even release a single game or maybe just one sequel.

And then Naughty Dog tries something with TLOU Part 2 and a lot of people here complain that they just want another Joel game like TLOU1 was.

smh

The entire PS4 gen and the first 2 years of the PS5, Naughty Dog has not given us a new game series. It really shows the direction they are going in, and may explain some of the...content that's been inserted in a few of their recent games, as well as some of their recent decisions, one of which upcoming is a bit controversial.

While they never owned Crash they were eager to start a new series taking what they've learned and created the Jak and Daxter franchise. While the last Jak did overlap with Uncharted iirc, it was passing of the torch. While Uncharted started out as a clone of another game instead of taking what they learned from jak, it was still a new experience, a third person action game that was grounded in reality and not in sensationalism like their previous titles.

Starting with Uncharted 2, the culture at naughty Dog changed along with their game design, going for a Hollywood cinnamic action flick style over substance storyline and game design. Millions flocked to see the "Hollywood blockbuster of gaming" and Naughty Dog has kept to this formula ever since.

Uncharted passed the torch to The Last Of Us, but didn't stop their, Uncharted 4 was made afterward in an unusual action for the company to squeeze whatever was still left in the franchise and then finally completely giving the reigns to TLOU. But TLOU came out on the PS3 in 2013.

So since 2013, until now, 9 years and counting, Naughty Dog has not given us a single new series. With the third release of the first TLOU and a new MP GaaS entry, this may be another gen where Naughty Dog avoid creating a new IP.

Riding along with this is also a change of culture at Naughty Dog, the staff are...different, the priorities have changes, they seem to have social problems, and their communication with fans is lacking to say the least.

But I find it pretty sad that Naughty Dog has deformed so much over the years, that now they are ripping people off poorly communicating their plans with fans on their upcoming releases, and don't seem to be interested in ambition anymore.
Go now at the search bar and type Kena. You will find that many claim that this game was not groundbreaking, graphical showcase or more jargon bullshit everyone speaks in here. You go to the GoW threads and it's DLC it's not next gen, it's not innovative etc
So how do you expect them to create a new IP when there is big chance if it's small in scale everyone will shit on it, if it's not graphical showcase everyone will claim it's dlc. So they make every 4-5 years a new sequels because they have to make money.

Wohc

Banned
It (Returnal) still released under a Sony Studio. That’s like saying anything Bethesda has released, or is about to release, like Starfield, is not under MS. New IPs are a rare commodity, but I don’t think criticising Sony on this aspect is particularly fair tbh.
Actually it was released 2 months before Sony bought them. Starfield will be released long after MS bought them so to me it's technically a MS game (at least on paper, i know they hadn't much to do with it).

Not arguing with you about that it's not just a Sony problem, because you are right. The AAA industry is a desert.

Last edited:
Actually it was released 2 months before Sony bought them. Starfield will be released long after MS bought them so to me it's technically a MS game (at least on paper, i know that hadn't much to do with it).

Not arguing with you about that it's not just a Sony problem, because you are right. The AAA industry is a desert.

Returnal exists because of Sony so why does it matter whether they owned the studio or not at that point?

Last edited:
Its one of the reasons I'm totally uninterested in what future Naughty Dog will bring. They used to be about these whimsical, and charming worlds, but with Dr.Ucky in charge they dramatically changed their tone and creative direction. They might as well rename the studio to "Good dog".

Makes me kinda want that Jason Rubin was still around. Even the original discarded design of Nathan Drake was more memorable.

They made L.A. Noire 2 years before ND newest IP TLoU.
Rockstar published the game. Team Bondi developed it.

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
He also said it's a Sony problem. It's not. Returnal and Death Stranding is also Sony investing new IPs, Choosing to ignore those is an argument of pointless semantics
I never said i agree with him on other things than the quoted stuff. It's simply a question of definition. In my opinion Returnal or Death Stranding are much more Sony's games than Diablo 4 or Starfield are Microsoft's games, but still the first two are not games by Sony studios while the last two are games by Microsoft studios. That's it, just some terminology, no need to discuss this any further.

Last edited:
I never said i agree with him on other things than the quoted stuff. It's simply a question of definition. In my opinion Returnal or Death Stranding are much more Sony's games than Diablo 4 or Starfield are Microsoft's games, but still the first two are not games by Sony studios while the last two are games by Microsoft studios. That's it, just some terminology, no need to discuss this any further.

They're Sony games regardless. It's not a matter of opinion

Kokoloko85

I just hope there main team is working on a new IP.

Let the other team work on a new or Uncharted 1 remake.

Then do TLOU part 3 if needed ( start on it with another team )

Lots of IPs have been around a long time and can remain fresh for me, like Mario and Zelda. So I don't think the issue is that they didn't make a new IP on PS4. They made one in late PS3, and they're probably making one this gen.

I think the main issue I have is just that the variety in gameplay and art style could definitely improve. Some of the environments in Uncharted 4 could honestly have easily been swapped out with The Last of Us 2. Overgrown moss abandoned buildings. Realistic art style. Similar gameplay, TPS with light stealth.

There's not a ton of TPS games out these days so if they stick with this its not the end of the world. But every time they put out something, I'm always thinking that its a wasted opportunity to do something a lot more interesting and varied. It's become very predictable and they're not mixing things up enough in the game to have the IPs remain timeless like some Nintendo IPs. The gameplay just doesn't surprise enough for me personally. It obviously works well for millions of others, so that's fine.

If they make a new IP that grabs my attention, I'll be insanely happy because I never really could get that into Uncharted or The Last of Us.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah they’ve stagnated quite a bit, but so have all other AAA devs as well. It’s safe bets and sequels all around.

GreatnessRD

This should be pinned and awarded a medal. Hop to it, Gaffers!

This should be pinned and awarded a medal. Hop to it, Gaffers!
I mean, people frequently criticize Rockstar for the same thing. I don't know what the point is. Similar studios really, focused on AAAA graphics and realism. Similar issues at times. Both moving into more multiplayer stuff as well.

Kokoloko85

UC4 was half way done before Druckmann and Straley took over the project. I'd say its the least "fun" in the series, trading off being a rollicking adventure for being a deconstruction trope.

Im sure he was pretty involved at least 50%.

Id say its way better than U1 and U3. The combat is better than U2 too. Some of the action is great. I don’t think there are that many better games in that genre

Top Bottom