• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those strictly flipping this gen from any side to PlayStation or Xbox; which announcement or event was the tipping point for you? Poll inside.

Which event or particular announcement was the tipping point of no return that made you switch?

• Xbox Series S/X Third-Party next-gen Games Showcase in June

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xbox Series S leak/announcement.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
For those strictly flipping from Xbox or PlayStation to either side; what was the event (in other words, sales pitch) that made you confident that flipping was the right choice?

Was it a difficult choice? Too big a backlog? Too many memories left behind?

Are you still looking for that event or announcement that makes you flip because you're unhappy with your current gen choice?

Discuss.

scalman

still waiting for it ... though xbox will be pc games and ps5 will be ps5 games.. its kinda easy to pick... unless on budget like real then XSS and ps5 .

Vawn

Banned
I'll buy an Xbox because it looks to be better than XBO, but PS5 still looks to run circles around Xbox in the games department. Hopefully Xbox will have enough to make my XSX a decent secondary console.

still waiting for it ... though xbox will be pc games and ps5 will be ps5 games.. its kinda easy to pick... unless on budget like real then XSS and ps5 .

I think both companies marketing depts have traded sales pitch blows even if MS looked moribund after July's catastrophe. Now there is some healthy pressure on Sony to show some stuff they've held back.

Humdinger

I flipped out of getting either and instead went with a Switch. I will need to see more of an exclusive library for either console before I jump on board. I'm guessing that's about a year from now with PS5 and another couple years for Xbox. Until then, plenty to play on the Switch, and I'm finding that I'm enjoying the simple, lighthearted games that Nintendo specializes in, rather than the graphically sharp but overly serious/violent/grimdark stuff the other two emphasize.

I flipped out of getting either and instead went with a Switch. I will need to see more of an exclusive library for either console before I jump on board. I'm guessing that's about a year from now with PS5 and another couple years for Xbox. Until then, plenty to play on the Switch, and I'm finding that I'm enjoying the simple, lighthearted games that Nintendo specializes in, rather than the graphically sharp but overly serious/violent/grimdark stuff the other two emphasize.

Switch has really good games. And yeah not everyone has to be a first adopter. Overwhelming majority don't adopt on the first year. The PS4 took off mid gen when the switches started to happen in droves due to exclusive content.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Ps5 no changes.

But xss day one second. Gamepass with day one third party games and bethesda is a must.

One is blockbuster imax the other has fuckin stalker twoooooooo

If I hadn't flipped to pc I would be flipping to Xbox. Game pass is great. Microsoft first party is more interesting to me, especially after the acquisition. The cheaper console is nice. Sony's first party has worn tired for me. I'm simply more interested in studios like Arkane, Obsidian and Tango Game works. Companies that have given me steaks to sink my teeth into rather unfulfilling eye candy.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Before I tagged out for pc I switched from a PS4 pro mostly gamer to an Xbox One X gamer. Still got the Sony exclusives that interested but once the X hit everything else was better there. Went almost a year with out even booting up the pro.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I have been all in with Xbox Series X since Microsoft revealed all the specifications and posted an actual glossary at Xbox.com but what truly sealed it was the PlayStation 5 presentation with Cerny and seeing the entire spec sheet. I was not happy. The truly funny thing is that the upcoming generation will be the third generation in a row in which I choose the other platform as my primary gaming console.

I was a PS/PS2 guy and Sony made the decision for me to go with Xbox 360. After Xbox 360, I wanted to stay with Microsoft and Xbox but Microsoft made the decision for me to go with PlayStation 4. I wanted to stay with Sony and PlayStation 5 but Sony made the decision for me to with Xbox Series X.

It's hilarious because instead of the platform that will be my primary winning me over from the start, it took the other platform that I wanted to stay with to do stupid shit or go in a direction that I didn't want them to go in that led to me going with the other platform.

Over the last 7 months though, Microsoft and Xbox have completely been far more transparent, open, up front and honest despite it being good or bad while Sony for the most part just stays silent and when they do talk, it's on their Twitter page after a showcase which completely says that they're going in a different direction at the last minute despite the fact that all I heard since 2019 was "we believe in generations". Uh, no, you fucking don't and never did.

You just didn't have the balls to tell your fanbase that you were doing cross-gen games plus you're going to do it twice as long as your competitor. I personally have no issues with cross-gen as it makes sense in every aspect for the first 24 months or less but why bullshit everyone for no reason? I simply don't believe anything Jim "dance moves" Ryan will ever say because months later, he'll just say the opposite. UGH. Really wish Shawn Layden would have won that power struggle as I easily preferred him over Jim Ryan who I have never liked. I could go on but no point.

So Xbox Series X will be my primary gaming console while PlayStation 5 will be my secondary exclusives only console. I have two Xbox Series X consoles pre-ordered and will pre-order the games im buying on the 29th when I trade in my PS4 Pro and move on to next gen while I will wait until Spring 2021 to pick up a PlayStation 5 when Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart releases.

Microsoft has me the most hyped I have been for the Xbox brand in over a decade and can't fucking wait for November 10th!!! 5 more weeks to go from this coming Tuesday!!! Playing Xbox Series X on my LG CX 55" OLED.....oh hell yeah!!! Let's go baby!!! If I could fast forward to November, I would. LOL.

Futurematic

Quite honestly Arkane alone made me consider flipping. But my PS4 died a few months ago and I have a backlog and like Sony games, so Xbox dedicated Halo/Arkane box will alas have to wait. Would have been a double flip after going 360 to PS4 lol, though before that was the Dreamcast

I did seriously consider flipping and I’ll certainly buy the XSX (or Pro version) down the line—especially as a Mac user. But wasn’t quite enough to get me to swap opening console purchases.

McHuj

PS5 still, but debating. $70 games make game pass really attractive.

if it wasn’t for Demons Souls remake and a complete lack of a next gen game by Microsoft, I’d probably be getting a XSX.

I guess if I do switch to XSX I will have an instant library of games that I missed out on through game pass this past gen.

Quite honestly Arkane alone made me consider flipping. But my PS4 died a few months ago and I have a backlog and like Sony games, so Xbox dedicated Halo/Arkane box will alas have to wait. Would have been a double flip after going 360 to PS4 lol, though before that was the Dreamcast

I did seriously consider flipping and I’ll certainly buy the XSX (or Pro version) down the line—especially as a Mac user. But wasn’t quite enough to get me to swap opening console purchases.

Next Arkane game is exclusive to PS5 for probably 6 months the least. But long term I can see the point.

GHG

This poll has strong recency bias.

Most people switching permanently (and be willing to toss aside any digital library investment) will be doing so due to a sustained period of disappointment for whatever reason rather than a single event/announcement over the last 6-12 months.

Most people switching permanently (and be willing to toss aside any digital library investment) will be doing so due to a sustained period of disappointment for whatever reason rather than a single event/announcement over the last 6-12 months.

That is the point of the thread. Which event or announcement was the tipping point? On the title and poll. There is always that event or announcement that seals the deal for an unhappy consumer.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Road to PS5. It just showed that they know what they're doing and they've come up with something novel. They've always made gorgeous, high quality tech, like my vita 1000, the original psp, the Walkman, ps2, i can't ignore that heritage. Prior to this generation i was a PC gamer, I've actually bought a PS3 (love this UI) because i can't wait for PS5. I'll probably not graduate to the 5 until deep into 2021 once any teething issues are ironed out. And maybe when they release a different colourway, SE in Japan or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I switched around the time that i had my 360. It kinda sucked having to leave my friends at that point, but eventually, they all made the jump to PC, and we couldn't be happier. The switch was due to better performance at the time, as well as pricing for games.

I've always had a PC since younger, but nothing DEDICATED to the hobby. Looking back at it now, gaming on a PC back in 360 days are much more complicated than. From building to mods, etc.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
For those strictly flipping from Xbox or PlayStation to either side; what was the event (in other words, sales pitch) that made you confident that flipping was the right choice?

Was it a difficult choice? Too big a backlog? Too many memories left behind?

Are you still looking for that event or announcement that makes you flip because you're unhappy with your current gen choice?

Discuss.
You know? Looking at your list in the pole, I say you could use just a bit little more options. Say, like, 4, 5, 6, 7, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 of em?

Humdinger

This poll has strong recency bias.

Good point.

One other thing to consider -- only 15% of GAF members own a single console; 85% own two or all three (based on previous polling). And that doesn't count the people who bought the other console at some point, then sold it, so the real proportion is probably 90/10.

So, it's unlikely that most people are truly "switching" in the sense meant here -- that is, deciding to abandon their previous platform entirely and go completely with the other one. What is more likely is that people have decided to get one console before the other. Maybe they switched the order. Maybe they moved one console up on the priority list. But 85 to 90% of people here will still end up buying both in the course of the generation.

Last edited:

deafmedal

I was always going to end up with both but after the Bethesda acquisition I will most likely be primarily playing on Xbox this gen. I was unable to secure a XSX otherwise I would have cancelled/sold my PS5 until later in the gen so I will keep my PS5 and pick up a XSX sometime next year. As a result I will not be purchasing many multiplats until I have my XSX and will focus on CP77 and PS BC/backlog in the interim. Once the next gen patches for CP77 drop I will make the decision if I want to double dip or not, we'll see.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
As a loyal PS customer of nearly 20 years, they've had my blood boiling for a while. Personal feelings on the way they handle sales policies, communication, or basic respect for longtime customers really rubbed me the wrong way.

Still, I adore the games they finance so I was all in on having PS5 be my first "Day 1 console".

Honestly, I can't recall exactly where the tables turned, but sometime around the Series S/X showcase and price announcement. I may not even subscribe to Gamepass but seeing all that value, alongside the general attitude Xbox has essentially been forced to adopt, in order to win back the consumer, stood in stark contrast to Sony's general practices. Something inside me clicked. The $299 price tag lured me in, with the promise of catching up on Halo and a generation of games I had missed out on. I can easily afford that if I manage my budget well, so why not? Once I was "in", the value proposition of upgrading to a Series X made too much sense - I've already invested in a 4K tv. Good job, marketing team.

Backwards compatibility is also huge. Playstation used to be my home primarily because Metal Gear was there. Now, the tables have turned and Xbox is the best place to play the Metal Gear series, Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell, you name it. That's a big deal for me.
Sony tries to downplay backwards compatibility like EA tried to downplay single player games. We aren't buying it.

So that about does it. I'm in. I think there's also just something a bit exciting about jumping into a new ecosystem that entices me. Make no mistake, I'll be back around for Playstation 5....eventually when there is a "Slim" model that is easy on the eyes. I practically worship Spider-Man and who knows where Kojima's next game will end up. But for now, I'm more than happy with this decision.

Bonus Reason: I missed PS5 pre-orders.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Jim Ryan's repeated goofy comments downplaying backwards compatiblity and psvr knocked my confidence in PS's ability to do the smart things when the time comes.

I've picked up a XBSX as a backup machine based almost exclusively on Jim's buffoonery rather than anything MS themselves or FUD warriors have put out there.

njean777

I got a ps5 pre-order and no XSX pre-order even though I was ready on 9/22 but due to having to drive to work I didn't get the Amazon pre-order so that sealed the deal for me for now. Going PS5 and probably will pick up a Series X just for gears 6 when it comes out. I really only play Gears on Xbox so I am flipping and we shall see how it works out in the end.

SwishPants

Neo Member
I have preorders for both. Was mainly PS4 this gen, but a few factors are possibly making me switch to XSX to be my primary console:
  • GamePass
  • The Slight power advantage (I mainly play third-party games)
  • The Bethesda purchase and other consumer friendly changes
  • Lastly, while I have both ordered, the giant size of the PS5 is really going to bug me for sure. Picky I know.

Top Bottom