• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those that game on a MacBook

SNG32

Are alot of the steam games that aren’t playable through MacOS playable through parallels?

Last edited:

SomeGit

Sorry, not getting the question, are you asking if you can play games not available on MacOS through Parallels or if you can play the games that exist on MacOS playable on Parallels?

fuck knows hardware differs between models. Parallels is just 'Boot into windows' mode right? so as long as drivers and stuff don't shit the bed should be fine if not then :|

Last edited:
it varies...there is also software called Crossover that let's you run games. Go to https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/M1_compatible_games_master_list
Great website and should be of help.
You also have software ware like OpenEMU that lets you run retro games from the Gamecube to older consoles. I've got mine set up with some Saturn and PS1 games that I like to play. Options are out there. Just know that you may have to do a little more setting up than you would on a PC.

Last edited:

SNG32

Sorry, not getting the question, are you asking if you can play games not available on MacOS through Parallels or if you can play the games that exist on MacOS playable on Parallels?
Sorry I met to say aren’t available through macOS.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
79kjmy.jpg

Moochi

i have a MacBook Pro I9, and the only thing I ever play on it is hearthstone. Performance is too awful even in bootcamp, unless its a game from 2011. And even then, the thing will burn a hole in your lap.

SomeGit

Sorry I met to say aren’t available through macOS.
Ah no worries, just a bit confused.

Your best bet to check for compatibility is https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/Home, they have compatibility status for Parallels, CrossOver and MacOS versions if available. In general I find Parallels the most compatible, while CrossOver has more performance, but it's a game by game basis.

3 things you have to have in mind for Parallels:

- You are virtualizing Windows, so you'll have an OS running on top of MacOS, there is a performance overhead as well as a memory overhead, I don't recommend gaming if you only have 8GB of RAM, only 16GB and above.

- If you have an M1 or M2 Mac you'll be virtualizing Windows 11 ARM, not the regular x86-64 Windows, so you'll have to deal with Microsoft emulation layer, another performance overhead here, but worse than that some things aren't compatible, the biggest issue by far being Kernel Anti-Cheat software. So forget about games like Fortnite, Apex, Call of Duty, Vallorant, etc.

- Parallels has limited DX12 support at the moment, so while it's not an immediate no, a lot of recent games won't work.

But yeah, basically check the guide and fingers crossed, for older single player games it's a fine option. I don't have a lot of good experiences with Wine/CrossOver on MacOS, so I prefer Parallels. It also has a free trial so you can try that, 14 days IIRC.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
i have a MacBook Pro I9, and the only thing I ever play on it is hearthstone. Performance is too awful even in bootcamp, unless its a game from 2011. And even then, the thing will burn a hole in your lap.
You are on a very low gpu spec Mac compared to the m1 and m2.

Its not OMG! but its not horrible.

Parallels 18

native/rosetta

You are on a very low gpu spec Mac compared to the m1 and m2.

Its not OMG! but its not horrible.

Parallels 18

native/rosetta

I have a Mac Air M1 and enjoy emulation stuffs great. Even the PS2, XBOX, PS3, Wii and some Switch games are running great. There is even DuckStation and great Saturn emulation! I can't wait to see what's gonna happen in 2 years when M3 or M4 will be on the market.

sainraja

Are alot of the steam games that aren’t playable through MacOS playable through parallels?
I think I only tried playing a game via parallels once....if I am even remember correctly and it was fine but might depend on how much power your Macbook has.

theHFIC

Personally I would say don't waste your time on Crossover or Parallels if you are on Apple Silicon. You'll be playing games at a fraction of the resolution, a fraction of the framerate, and lots of graphical issues along the way. Put the money you would've paid for a license towards GeForce Now or the Xbox streaming service.

DX12 has no immediate future of being supported on a Mac through Crossover/Wine/Parallels. There are fundamental things missing from Metal 3 that then can't be translated from Vulkan and Apple has no plans to implement them.

Personally I play macOS games in Rosetta (or native when available - I see you Sim City 4 lol), native games through Apple Arcade, and streaming games from my PC in that order.

Mac gaming never was and never will be comparable to PC fortunately/unfortunately. We still power on and use our machines for their god given purpose: making more money than PC based creatives and getting better grades than PC based students. Then we game ✊

Moochi

Apple Arcade is cool sometimes. I really enjoy my trackpad. I've played lots of ps2 emulation. Usually Godhand with a bluetooth 360 pad. It runs at 60 fps, but it does get flaming hot.

it varies...there is also software called Crossover that let's you run games. Go to https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/M1_compatible_games_master_list
Great website and should be of help.
You also have software ware like OpenEMU that lets you run retro games from the Gamecube to older consoles. I've got mine set up with some Saturn and PS1 games that I like to play. Options are out there. Just know that you may have to do a little more setting up than you would on a PC.
I wish OpenEMU had Atari Jaguar, Jaguar CD, and Neo Geo CD support.

You’re better off buying a Steam Deck. Mac gaming is…

I’m playing Disco Elysium on the Mac at the mo but that’s native on an M2.

Parallells is pretty good on my MB Air M2. however, I tend to play retro adventure games - civ 6 and command and conquer remastered are the most advanced games I played, although they both worked fine.

SNG32

Parallells is pretty good on my MB Air M2. however, I tend to play retro adventure games - civ 6 and command and conquer remastered are the most advanced games I played, although they both worked fine.
Im curious to see if the Last of Us Part 1 works on parallels.

Last edited:

T-Cake

I had a dabble with Microsoft's Xbox Cloud Gaming but on my Mac mini with M1 8GB, neither Edge nor Safari could maintain a decent connection which is very strange as the PC in exactly the same location, using the same Wifi network managed it perfectly.

Maybe one day. Though there’s probably not much on the Jaguar worth playing. I would love to see someone translate the Samurai Showdown rpg that was on the Neo geo cd.
I remember seeing a rumor that openemu would be retired in 2023 because they can’t port it over to apple silicon 😬

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Have Crossover for my m1 pro but for the games I wanted to play it doesn't work well enough. Do play a small handful of games with a dedicated 8bitdo pro 2 controller: Dead Cells, Hades, Fury Unleashed, Sleeping Dogs, Horizon Chase Turbo, RIVE, Absolute Drift, Her Story, Cuphead, Vampire Survivors, Disco Elysium, & Lift Off. Don't really consider it a gaming device since I have better options but the games it does play are a nice break and convenient to always have around.

Top Bottom