• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those that played The Medium, did the story go "too far"?

Somewhat related bump. Didn't want to create a new thread but also wanted to see what others think about the game.

Is The Medium really as bad as I think it is? I'm not far in it, haven't touched it in a few weeks but holy shit, I played the few 2 hours or so and I'm just not feeling it whatsoever. It's my first Bloober team game and I'm honestly bummed, I've been meaning to try something by them for years because of their relation to Nibris. The vaporware company behind Sadness for the Wii.

The graphics are fine but certainly not impressive. The dual screen mechanic just makes me laugh. Especially during scenes in which your character just kind of stands there while everything else is happening on the opposite side. It just seems like it's unique in that it's not effective and a dumb idea to base a game around. The dual sense implementation is trash, easily the worst I've experienced so far. Even the rumble just seems like everything is firing on all cylinders, no nuance to it.

The jump scares have been effective but they're jump scares, it's a cheap/lazy way to get a reaction but kudos to them for making them effective.

Does the game get better? I haven't even come across the antagonist yet. I'm still exploring some abandoned resort.
It's not great. There are worse games, but unless you are just strapped for cash and playing on GamePass, the game probably isn't worth your time.

It's not terrible, but there are so many better games available to spend your time on, it's difficult to recommend.

Somewhat related bump. Didn't want to create a new thread but also wanted to see what others think about the game.

Is The Medium really as bad as I think it is? I'm not far in it, haven't touched it in a few weeks but holy shit, I played the few 2 hours or so and I'm just not feeling it whatsoever. It's my first Bloober team game and I'm honestly bummed, I've been meaning to try something by them for years because of their relation to Nibris. The vaporware company behind Sadness for the Wii.

The graphics are fine but certainly not impressive. The dual screen mechanic just makes me laugh. Especially during scenes in which your character just kind of stands there while everything else is happening on the opposite side. It just seems like it's unique in that it's not effective and a dumb idea to base a game around. The dual sense implementation is trash, easily the worst I've experienced so far. Even the rumble just seems like everything is firing on all cylinders, no nuance to it.

The jump scares have been effective but they're jump scares, it's a cheap/lazy way to get a reaction but kudos to them for making them effective.

Does the game get better? I haven't even come across the antagonist yet. I'm still exploring some abandoned resort.
If you aren't feeling it by now, I doubt you will if you stick with it. It establishes the vibe and "gameplay" loop early on and doesn't do much to deviate.

I've played nearly all Bloober Team games, even though I'd give them all about a 6 out of 10. Worth playing only if you like their genre (story-driven horror walking simulators) because not many people make games in that style.

I'm waiting for the special day where either A) they make their masterpiece or B) another studio apes their style and immediately puts them to shame.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I ended up playing through the whole game last night and this morning, credits are rolling.

To comment on the tweet that spawned this thread, Gene Park is an idiot, lol. There was nothing shocking within the story. The delicate stuff was handled as general as possible, it only ever hints at things and never goes into specifics. If anything, I can see a certain segment of gaming culture being butthurt over Communism being presented in the light it should be presented in and using the mental aspects as a mask to attack the game.

What an overall disappointment though. Some of the areas are gorgeous but it's just such a slog and linear. I wish there were more chase sequences and that the story was delivered in a better way, lots of it was really interesting and effective because Poland has a super tragic history that more people should be aware of. I truly hated the voice acting though, it's like NPR podcast hosts doing a radio drama. Just absolute cringe. However, Maw's voice was great. The first time you encounter him, that was awesome and the subsequent chase sequence is definitely the best in the game.

I'm still interested in checking out The Observer and Blair Witch in VR but man, Bloober needs to reign in the melodrama and focus more on gameplay. They could have had a frigging grand slam with this game but it just comes up short in too many ways. Art style can only go so far.

Last edited:
myself, i can't intelligently engage in these kinds of conversations. i'm still trying to figure out what to do when, at the beginning of many movies i stream, it 'warns' me about potentially hazardous material i will be exposed to, & then says 'viewer discretion is advised'. what does that mean? should i watch, but in a kinda tensed-up manner just in case i've gotta quickly turn the movie off, or should i just pass on all movies declaring this (which's a surprisingly large number of them)? i don't know...

As someone who beat The Medium at launch, here are my thoughts on the story, characters and that ending

I don't remember anything.

Doom85

Everything is relative. There's nothing in the Medium as horrifying as Silent Hill 2's rape bed boss.

Of course, Pyramid Head is not symbolic of rape. What he does to that monster LOOKS sexual since we’re not given the clearest look but no penetration occurs (obviously, it‘s rated M, not AO) because this is suppose to represent James’ sexual frustration. If Pyramid Head we’re actually doing anything sexual, the symbolism would fall apart.

Edit: And now I realize this post is months old…

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Get it on sale and you'll probably have fun with it. I played it on GP and played it until the end. I'd play a sequel if they made one. It's a solid 7.5/8 out of 10.
Glad this thread was bumped because I forgot which one it was that I was being recommended by you and CatLady CatLady .

Been playing this the past week, and I’m enjoying my time with it. Just got to the ruins last night after that creepy skinsuit obsessed moth man freak chases you to.

So far, I would give the game a solid 7.5 as well. They have the atmosphere down, Sadness is a creepy little thing, the music and sound are excellent. It’s a little jank, but that’s not going to deter me, SH, and old school RE were jank as shit as well.

I can tell this was a test bed for their SH2 project, and I am looking forward to finishing this one up. Great game for Halloween season.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Glad this thread was bumped because I forgot which one it was that I was being recommended by you and CatLady CatLady .

Been playing this the past week, and I’m enjoying my time with it. Just got to the ruins last night after that creepy skinsuit obsessed moth man creep chases you to.

So far, I would give the game a solid 7.5 as well. They have the atmosphere down, Sadness is a creepy little thing, the music and sound are excellent. It’s a little jank, but that’s not going to deter me, SH, and old school RE were jank as shit as well.

I can tell this was a test bed for their SH2 project, and I am looking forward to finishing this one up. Great game for Halloween season.
Glad you're enjoying it; I liked it a lot. But I believe you're thinking of The Ascent. I know both Punished Miku Punished Miku and I really, really liked that game and we were letting the GAF world know it. :messenger_winking:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I ended up playing through the whole game last night and this morning, credits are rolling.

To comment on the tweet that spawned this thread, Gene Park is an idiot, lol. There was nothing shocking within the story. The delicate stuff was handled as general as possible, it only ever hints at things and never goes into specifics. If anything, I can see a certain segment of gaming culture being butthurt over Communism being presented in the light it should be presented in and using the mental aspects as a mask to attack the game.
Could not agree more. Communism is a mental illness by the peasants (to the elite that push it onto you, it’s Imperialism 101 and they don’t see it) that drink the kool aid. I can truly see why they manufacture fake outrage. The story and how it handles the situations is very tame/vague. It’s your own projected mind that has an issue.

Besides, they gave you a “trigger warning” you self absorbed zombies.

As for the game, I like PnC adventures, and it reminds me of a mix of that and old school survival horror. Maybe why I don’t mind it as much.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Glad you're enjoying it; I liked it a lot. But I believe you're thinking of The Ascent. I know both Punished Miku Punished Miku and I really, really liked that game and we were letting the GAF world know it. :messenger_winking:
It was this one, I believe you recommended it to me when I was asking questions about it.

But yes, The Ascent is on my list as well to play too.

Been playing this the past week, and I’m enjoying my time with it. Just got to the ruins last night after that creepy skinsuit obsessed moth man freak chases you to.

Glad you like it! I agree it's a 7.5 but its still pretty interesting. The skin suit guy by the way is Troy Baker. Crazy right? He does such a good job. Yamaoka did music too (Silent Hill).

The Ascent is my 2nd favorite game of last year. 9.5 from me but apparently quite divisive among some players.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Glad you like it! I agree it's a 7.5 but its still pretty interesting. The skin suit guy by the way is Troy Baker. Crazy right? He does such a good job. Yamaoka did music too (Silent Hill).

The Ascent is my 2nd favorite game of last year. 9.5 from me but apparently quite divisive among some players.
Holy shit, about the Troy Baker thing. What’s the creepiest about him, not that he looks like a cross being a Hellraiser cenobite and Pan’s Labyrinth creature, but his damned voice. Especially playing with headphones.

Makes my skin crawl, lol
Nervous Hayao Miyazaki GIF by Maudit

Beechos

If its not for you dont dont play/watch/listen to it. Games are fiction and fantasy. There is no way to please everyone. Theres always going to be people that can find something offensive in anything. If you prefer something with a different narrative, feel alot of people will feel the same way, make it, let them enjoy it and get rich doing it.

Just looking at Mr Genes profile pic a bald person can say mr. Gene is not sensitive to bald people, promoting a kirby that has hair.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

That's wild, Troy Baker absolutely crushed it. Maw was legit scary the first few times you encounter him.

I don't blame you. It just made me curious, so I read about the story. I figured while it contains some heavy themes, I felt like this was beyond overreactive. Which, I guess probably isn't abnormal from this dude's behavior. But hey, if there were many more that I missed, pardon my ignorance, lol.
I mean he is mentally ill apparently

poodaddy

Gold Member

What an overall disappointment though. Some of the areas are gorgeous but it's just such a slog and linear. I wish there were more chase sequences and that the story was delivered in a better way, lots of it was really interesting and effective because Poland has a super tragic history that more people should be aware of. I truly hated the voice acting though, it's like NPR podcast hosts doing a radio drama. Just absolute cringe. However, Maw's voice was great. The first time you encounter him, that was awesome and the subsequent chase sequence is definitely the best in the game.

I'm still interested in checking out The Observer and Blair Witch in VR but man, Bloober needs to reign in the melodrama and focus more on gameplay. They could have had a frigging grand slam with this game but it just comes up short in too many ways. Art style can only go so far.
The awful voice acting in The Medium was so weird after it was mostly great in The Observer. By the way, in my opinion, The Observer is not only their best game, but it's one of the best cyberpunk linear narrative games of all time. Fantastic game that far and away blows away everything else in their catalogue, and I say that as a big fan of Layers of Fear as well.

Bloober is kind of a weird, inconsistent studio man. They make great games, Layers and Observer, serviceable games, Blair Witch, and sub par games, which I would toss The Medium in. I don't know how the hell Silent Hill 2 is gonna turn out man, but I'm cautiously optimistic. They do have the capability to make great games, though they don't always pull out a V.

The awful voice acting in The Medium was so weird after it was mostly great in The Observer. By the way, in my opinion, The Observer is not only their best game, but it's one of the best cyberpunk linear narrative games of all time. Fantastic game that far and away blows away everything else in their catalogue, and I say that as a big fan of Layers of Fear as well.

Bloober is kind of a weird, inconsistent studio man. They make great games, Layers and Observer, serviceable games, Blair Witch, and sub par games, which I would toss The Medium in. I don't know how the hell Silent Hill 2 is gonna turn out man, but I'm cautiously optimistic. They do have the capability to make great games, though they don't always pull out a V.
Observer had the late, great Rutger Hauer. That's why the voice acting was better.

Top Bottom