• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who have Finished is Elden Ring better than Bloodborne?

I really enjoyed Elden Ring, I just finished this evening beat Radagon and Malenia and I gotta say for as much fun as I’ve had exploring the world and building my astrologer I felt like the game just didn’t have al ot of those big epic soulsborne moments. Radagon was dope the way he was intro’d but his second phase took the air out of it. Not only was it not visually that interesting, i just felt like it didn’t make any sense in context of the story. It was a very lazy design, like they just took something straight out a ghibli movie. Worst of all it wasn’t even fun to fight.

Same feeling I felt with Godfrey, you already fight him once before so that kind of ruins his first phase then his second phase he pretty much turns into zangief? I felt like these phases should have been reversed. After seeing him on the cover of Edge with the big ass lion i was so hype to fight him and he was just kind of a pushover.

I think the most memorable fights are gonna end up being Malenia (although i found her move set to be annoyingly cheap) and Radagon, the latter mostly for newcomers who don’t really get the gimmick type bosses. That seems the be the fight i hear most about on social media.

I just don’t feel like it hits the same highs as bloodborne. Even DS3.

This is still the best final boss battle imo. I think this is the fight that inspired Miyazaki to make Sekiro. Bloodborne in general just seems like such a more thought-out elaborate world to me which is funny considering how much they talked up GRRM’s involvement. I just didn’t find the bosses or lore behind them as cool in Elden Ring

Last edited:

drotahorror

Damn close to beating it, have all the achievements for boss kills except 2 or 3. That being said, no I don't think it's as good as Bloodborne. BB has superior art style, better bosses and better gameplay. I plat'd BB and beat the DLC.

I do think Elden Ring is amazing though. Definitely one of the best games I've ever played. It has superior build variety, much more content, more build variety, and it's also the most accessible game from FromSoftware.

I'll always yearn for a 60fps+ cleaner looking Bloodborne though.

Keihart

I really enjoyed Elden Ring, I just finished this evening beat Radagon and Malenia and I gotta say for as much fun as I’ve had exploring the world and building my astrologer I felt like the game just didn’t have al ot of those big epic soulsborne moments. Radagon was dope the way he was intro’d but his second phase took the air out of it. Not only was it not visually that interesting, i just felt like it didn’t make any sense in context of the story. It was a very lazy design, like they just took something straight out a ghibli movie. Worst of all it wasn’t even fun to fight.

Same feeling I felt with Godfrey, you already fight him once before so that kind of ruins his first phase then his second phase he pretty much turns into zangief? I felt like these phases should have been reversed. After seeing him on the cover of Edge with the big ass lion i was so hype to fight him and he was just kind of a pushover.

I think the most memorable fights are gonna end up being Malenia (although i found her move set to be annoyingly cheap) and Radagon, the latter mostly for newcomers who don’t really get the gimmick type bosses. That seems the be the fight i hear most about on social media.

I just don’t feel like it hits the same highs as bloodborne. Even DS3.

This is still the best final boss battle imo. I think this is the fight that inspired Miyazaki to make Sekiro. Bloodborne in general just seems like such a more thought-out elaborate world to me which is funny considering how much they talked up GRRM’s involvement. I just didn’t find the bosses or lore behind them as cool in Elden Ring

in my first run , as a glass skill cannon , with only lvl 50, i 2 shotted the last 2 bloodborne bosses.
Not that it was not cool looking or anything, but in the challenge department, this games are really dodgy sometimes.

I haven't finished Elden Ring, Bloodborne was my favorite on the franchise until this game.
I prefer the aesthetics of bloodborne, but overall, Elden Ring is just everything acumulated to me.

To me, the best part of all souls games was the exploration, i've never been on the boat of the bosses being specially challenging despite there being challenging fights, because if you really want to, you can always break the game with an optimal build that is not that hard to figure out without googling. So to me, Elden Ring focuses on what i like the most, exploring.

I really want a Bloodborne sequel with a world as big as Elden Ring, imagine the chalice dungeons being setup in a similar way to the underworld river on Elden Ring or something like that.

Bloodborne excels at atmosphere and its degree of focus on its core themes and aesthetic. Elden Ring, on the other hand, is massive in scope and has tremendous replayability. I'd say they're about even as the best games in the series. DS1 used to be up there as well but I think Elden Ring has supplanted it since it does so many things better. DS3 is obviously totally obsolete at this point.

Zeroing

Banned
I’ve found bloodborne to be a more simpler and consistent experience. but of course Elden ring being newer makes most things better, in scope, variety etc.

For me the “story”/ lore of bloodborne is easier to follow/understand than of Elden ring. If you really start thinking about it. The Elden ring “story”/lore is a mess…that reaches to my point why having George R.R. Martin a great story teller in your game?

I’m also very tired of the same themes, moon, “alien creature” doll etc I already expected those themes to be on Elden ring.

So yeah comparing both games makes sense.

I’ve found bloodborne to be a more simpler and consistent experience. but of course Elden ring being newer makes most things better, in scope, variety etc.

For me the “story”/ lore of bloodborne is easier to follow/understand than of Elden ring. If you really start thinking about it. The Elden ring “story”/lore is a mess…that reaches to my point why having George R.R. Martin a great story teller in your game?

I’m also very tired of the same themes, moon, “alien creature” doll etc I already expected those themes to be on Elden ring.

So yeah comparing both games makes sense.

Yeah, even in the bloodborne clip there the hunters dream workshop is on fire, similar to the Erdtree, they all kind of follow the same path throughout the game, slightly switching up small stuff due to the overall lore.

But i recently watched a lore video on Elden Ring and i just found myself not really intrigued or interested in a lot of it. The whole family tree aspect of it is convoluted as hell.

Zeroing

Banned
Yeah, even in the bloodborne clip there the hunters dream workshop is on fire, similar to the Erdtree, they all kind of follow the same path throughout the game, slightly switching up small stuff due to the overall lore.

But i recently watched a lore video on Elden Ring and i just found myself not really intrigued or interested in a lot of it. The whole family tree aspect of it is convoluted as hell.
Omg yeah I saw someone doing a flowchart trying to understand who was who etc…

Pretty sure George R.R Martin just gave names for the dragons and that was it.

NinjaBoiX

I’ve not finished it yet, but objectively speaking, if I were to play them all for the first time today:

ER > DkS3 > BB > DkS1 > DkS2 > DeS

I’ve not played Sekiro.

The story is bollocks in all of them, couldn’t be less interested. I just spam the skip button to unlock anything from dialogue.

I’ve not finished it yet, but objectively speaking, if I were to play them all for the first time today:

ER > DkS3 > BB > DkS1 > DkS2 > DeS

I’ve not played Sekiro.

The story is bollocks in all of them, couldn’t be less interested. I just spam the skip button to unlock anything from dialogue.

I would probably rank my favorite

ER = BB>DS3>DS1>DeS>>>>>>>>Sekiro>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS2

Last edited:

Graciaus

you're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong lol. i do think Bloodborne does some things better but Elden Ring being the worst game? lol. The open world is such a welcome change.
Open world games are shit. You know what the best part of Elden Ring is? The masterfully crafted handful of legacy dungeons. It's definitely not going around the map on a horse clearing the copy/paste dungeons with minor differences.

Yes. I.had Bloodborne listed as my number 1 greatest game of all time and Elden Ring dethroned it. IMO I jave the Souls games listed as:

Elden Ring
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
Dark souls 1
Demons Souls
Dark Souls 2
Sekiro.

All are masterpieces but I just love the atmosphere of the "souls" games more than that of Sekiro.

GymWolf

Sekiro is still the one with better combat and bloodborne the one with better atmosphere\art design and melee weapons (sorry but nothing on er beat how cool trick weapons are).

Elden is probably better in everything else, especially build variety, but it feels pretty unbalanced sometimes.

Overall i feel like ds1, sekiro, bloodborne and elden ring are the best for different reasons.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I find it hard to compare the two because they are both incredibly good in very different things.

While I enjoy the gameplay and overall flow in Elden Ring way more, it is also a much more diverse experience. Bloodborne goes HARD on a singular theme [gothic into cosmic horror] and never backs down. It is also miles ahead in terms of story and lore.

Its item descriptions alone are above and beyond anything in Elden Ring, lore-wise. What an incredible experience.

anthony2690

Banned
I think Elden Ring is the best game from software have put out overall tbh.

But I also felt sekiro and DS3 were better than BB too.

I hope Sekiro gets another game.

And a little unrelated, but I would like to see from software make a new lost Kingdoms game.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Elden Ring for me but not a big fan of the dark horror aesthetic in Bloodborne personally

Elden Ring feels more like high fantasy and I think its a brilliant world, and constantly surprising to explore

Chukhopops

As someone who enjoys tank builds and faith I was never a big fan of BB which I find very limited in scope and limiting in build variety. It’s also why I love DS3 and DS2 because there is much replayability and things to see.

My ranking would be ER > DS3 > DS2 > DS1 > Sekiro > BB > DeS.

Also where’s the poll OP? You had one job.

Haven't finished yet but it's definitely better than Bloodborne imo, but I don't think it's anywhere near Dark Souls 1 or 3 (the best Soulsborne games) yet, unless it gets way better in the 2nd half of the game

SpokkX

Elden ring replaces Ds1,2 and 3. It is really dark souls 4

Bloodborne still has a place with its own atmosphere - BUT in some ways it also replaces Bloodborne because it just copies stuff from that game too

Elden is kind of a re-recording all greatest hits

Bloodborne sure feels small in scope now though, almost incomplete..

TagZ

Sekiro is better than Elden Ring, you actually feel like your going toe to toe with bosses. I have done zero rune farming and have pretty much 1 shot every boss. Better story delivery as well. I enjoy the exploration and dungeon diving. maybe it's just me but some of the zones are straining my eyes, Atlas Plateau place with all it's yellows and oranges that seem to just bleed into each other. I've played like 2-3 hours of Bloodborne and while the world seems the most interesting to me, I'm going to wait for a 60 fps minimum version.

70% done with ER but safe to say no, it is not. Sekiro>Bloodborne>everything else. Ignorant fanboys will tell you its open world is the best but it has the same open-world issues as any, catacombs and mines copy pasted and placed all over the map, same bosses over and over again, useless crafting, tons of useless items to find, etc. Metroidvania level design is superior.

Ogbert

Yes, because BB has a dogshit frame rate and garbage frame pacing.

ER has technical problems too, but nothing like as significant.

BB gets such a pass on its technical performance.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Yes, because BB has a dogshit frame rate and garbage frame pacing.

ER has technical problems too, but nothing like as significant.

BB gets such a pass on its technical performance.
They all get a pass, but not from me. BB is still king for a pure Souls experience, but I do like the open world as well. I just want the threaded cane in all Souls games.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
This is still the best final boss battle imo. I think this is the fight that inspired Miyazaki to make Sekiro.
You put that and not Lady Maria?

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Last edited:

Salz01

Haven’t finished Elden Ring yet, but prefer the atmosphere in Bloodborne. I think they are two different style of Souls games though. I like them both for different reasons. Blood borne seems more focused, but Elden Ring you can make some crazy builds and progress how ever you want.

Elden Ring
Bloodborne
Demon's Souls (Remake)
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 3
Sekiro (barely belongs in the conversation)

My only issue with Bloodborne was the near full removal of RPG elements. Souls games are about the amount of choice in builds that are all feasible and none turn the game into Kirby levels easy either.

Bloodborne is great in everything, but the differences in builds and RPG elements pale in comparison to the rest.

Sekiro, honestly, was too frustrating for me. I ended up getting the platinum, but I had to redo fights way too many times and when I won I felt more relief to just be done than I felt accomminibusses.

And, at the same time, the non-boss exploration in Sekiro was pretty non-threatening. It was just easily swinging around to the next one on one sword fight with a boss or miniboss.

Last edited:
Top Bottom