• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes.com: The ‘GTA Trilogy’ Isn’t The New ‘Cyberpunk 2077,’ The Definitive Edition Is Worse

iQuasarLV

The ‘GTA Trilogy’ Isn’t The New ‘Cyberpunk 2077,’ The Definitive Edition Is Worse

One quote I read yesterday was that CDPR shot for the moon with Cyberpunk 2077 and missed, while Rockstar shot for the ground and somehow…still missed

What in the Hell is going on that we, in the know, are allowing those we advise / talk to / influence insinuations that the face of gaming is okay with this type of behavior from companies and developers.

How many GTA / Skyrim / COD / Battlefield / Madden / FIFA relaunches are we going to put up with before we call these companies out on their bullshit and shame them into actually stopping? Christ! I am 41, Dad age; and it just gets to me to see this shit not only permeating the store shelves but to be practiced like it is the common ground we all walk on.

I would look deep inside and ask ourselves how many games in the last 10 years are actually "New" launches / IPs. Not sequels / 20xx yearly releases / remakes / remasters / or re-releases. If that list is fewer than five then we have a serious problem that maybe we need to start taking some accountability for and taking to task all this crap that is getting shoveled on to the store shelves before we are in another Wii situation but for all brands not just Nintendo.

To be fair, Tassi, the guy who wrote this is a huge cyberpunk 2077 fan. If you check his twitter/articles in the past year, I'm pretty sure 75% of them are about Cyberpunk. As for Rockstar, fuck them. They could've easily done the Mafia treatment for all 3 games considering their budget/skill but why would they? The smart business is do less if customers* keep paying.

*idiots

Last edited:

Schmick

What's the chance that the games willbe fixed or even can actually be fixed? I have thought about playing through them since I have originals on Steam but put that hold since the reveal.

Should I just play the originals with mods?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not even comparable.
Cyberpunk is fully ambitious game. Sure, not polished and flawed but amazing looking, fully playable game which I finished on release... it actually was abut the level of buggy like any new bethesda game on pc. Consoles is another matter

SJRB

Gold Member
e98988824fdfa7bc86ab32d02e9aedd03e8fedd7540e89225e7d4af8327c8c6d_1.jpg

This GTA situation is infinitely worse: a soulless, lazy, extremely poorly optimized cynical full priced cash grab over the back of life long fans.

It's disgusting. Fuck Strauss Zelnick, fuck Rockstar and fuck Grove Street Games. Fuck em all.

Raonak

Banned
I just bought it on a whim a few days ago, and quite enjoying it. It's low effort, I definitely agree.
But for a remaster, it's pretty good.

The modern controls, high red and 60fps is worth the price of entry imo.
if only you could buy the games separately.

It made me confirm my suspicions that SA is way more fun to play than 4/5

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm honestly not trying to play ignorant here but I finished GTA 3 just yesterday and had a pretty good time with it. Apart from the weird-looking rain that obscured my vision a little too much, I don't even know what everyone is crying about so much. It's exactly what I expected, which is a collection of old GTA games with slightly updated graphics.

One thing I thought about when playing it was that they really should've went for a full-on remake, like Mafia did, because those old games are too quaint to impress anyone these days, and only serve as a trip down memory lane for people who played them back in the day. But otherwise, I think that everyone is waaaaaaay overreacting to this thing. This is nowhere near as bad as Cyberpunk was at launch. Talk about hyperbole.

Leave it to the internet to blow something out of proportion, huh?

Last edited:
The worst part for me is seeing how tiny the world in SA is - they have somehow retrospectively spoiled the original for me. Taking the fog out and ruining the atmosphere suggests that they really don't care about the original in the same way I do.

I still have fond memories of getting to the bit set in the wilderness and thinking fuck me this game is huge, but it isn't it's just well enough made to make you think it is huge. Seeing it with no fog is like seeing Silent Hill with no fog.

The lack of attention to detail on the AI upscaled textures is amateur hour stuff too.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
What in the Hell is going on that we, in the know, are allowing those we advise / talk to / influence insinuations that the face of gaming is okay with this type of behavior from companies and developers.

How many GTA / Skyrim / COD / Battlefield / Madden / FIFA relaunches are we going to put up with before we call these companies out on their bullshit and shame them into actually stopping? Christ! I am 41, Dad age; and it just gets to me to see this shit not only permeating the store shelves but to be practiced like it is the common ground we all walk on.

Nothing changes all the time dozy cunts keep buying the shit this companies put out. People appear to have forgotten how to vote with their wallets in this culture of extreme FOMO, and extreme partisanship.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

It's apples to oranges, but I can see the argument for scale of ambition vs. scale of cock-up. I can only assume he's correct in assuming these are retooled mobile ports and, as such, the code base is completely at odd with the target platforms. Certainly, it's not on the hardware: even the Switch should be powering through these ports; that current gen consoles are huffing and puffing to maintain (pretty modest) frame rate targets suggest something is rotten in the code.

winjer

Gold Member
Marcin Iwinsk (CDPR)i: "We always wanted to be between the top 3 best gaming developers in the world" "In our perspective the current 3 best ones are Rockstar at number one, Blizzard and probably Bethesda as well, so we want to get there, one of them will have to go."

In a reversed way, he got his wish....

Shut0wen

To be fair, Tassi, the guy who wrote this is a huge cyberpunk 2077 fan. If you check his twitter/articles in the past year, I'm pretty sure 75% of them are about Cyberpunk. As for Rockstar, fuck them. They could've easily done the Mafia treatment for all 3 games considering their budget/skill but why would they? The smart business is do less if customers* keep paying.

*idiots
You realise this is a take two issue and nothing to do with rockstar

Shut0wen

Dont get why rockstar is getting the nlame for this shit when its taketwo is the one in charge, honestly i think gta as a franchise is shit and its not my kinda game but blaming rockstar is just retarded, they even the ones who created the game and taketwo more then likely approved the project because gta5 was getting alot of down votes on ps5

ClosBSAS

*idiots
fan or not, hes right....the price for gta tirlogy with its shitty enhancements and now this whole file bullshit....at least cdpr tried something with cyberpunk and shitty consoles held them back form achieving it. this is not the case here. i bought the game, paid 60 bucks in my currency which is half a months wage and they just fuck me over howeever they like.

RafterXL

These "remasters" are fucking terrible and were mostly done by computers. It's clear as day that all the uprezing and character models were just run through some AI filter due to how distorted all the models are and how many spelling mistakes are in the signage that would never happen if an actual human was doing the work.

Cyberpunk may not be the Witcher 3 follow up we all wanted but it's handcrafted and ambitious and shuts all over these mobile cash grabs.

tassletine

Anyone who buys GTA knows that the games will be shitty even if the ports were handled properly. The expectations going into Cyberpunk were infinitely higher and much more was promised.

Almost nothing was promised by GTA and anyone going in knows full well it's a cash grab, because it smells and looks like one, and the games are basic beyond belief. You expect it to be crap.

Both companies are playing games but CDPR wasted much more money and resources conning people.

HoodWinked

What a damn waste.

The thing that's so fucking stupid is there were fan remakes that were better than this piece of shit but got served cease and desist orders. They could have just paid them instead.

*idiots
And yet Mafia 1 only got the remake treatment while the Mafia 2 was a straight-up blocky remaster :LOL:

It's not even comparable.
Cyberpunk is fully ambitious game. Sure, not polished and flawed but amazing looking, fully playable game which I finished on release... it actually was abut the level of buggy like any new bethesda game on pc. Consoles is another matter
"Fully playable" makes me know you never touched it on console. I've never fought with a game so much in my life. More crashes than New Vegas on a PS3.

nush

Gold Member
The ‘GTA Trilogy’ Isn’t The New ‘Cyberpunk 2077,’ The Definitive Edition Is Worse

I would look deep inside and ask ourselves how many games in the last 10 years are actually "New" launches / IPs. Not sequels / 20xx yearly releases / remakes / remasters / or re-releases. If that list is fewer than five then we have a serious problem that maybe we need to start taking some accountability for and taking to task all this crap that is getting shoveled on to the store shelves before we are in another Wii situation but for all brands not just Nintendo.

"One quote I read yesterday was that CDPR shot for the moon with Cyberpunk 2077 and missed, while Rockstar shot for the ground and somehow…still missed"

Shot for the ground and hit their foot more accurately.

TMLT

Deep down beneath the (very) rough surface Cyberpunk does have some soul to it, and is honestly pretty good in parts. It just collapsed under the weight of its own ambitions, and reception was extra critical because with all the hype that had built up it needed to be another Witcher 3 to meet expectations.

This on the other hand is a needless re-release of 20 year old games just to cash grab, and it somehow manages to make the games worse.

kingfey

Banned
That is what happens when you give unexperienced people, your games.

Take2 decided to be smart, and gave their IP, to a nobody. Same way they fucked up the older remaster.

Gta san andreas is garbage on pc. They ported that garbage mobile version. and now, they fucked it up even more.

Pretty crazy that the two darlings of the industry - CDPR and Rockstar - both have now let people down in this way. Three if you count Naughty Dog and the travesty that was TLOU2's story. Really paints a bleak picture of the state of the industry.

Although as someone who was lucky enough to have a nice PC, I enjoyed Cyberpunk a lot, so I would agree this situation is worse. It's becoming clear that pretty much all they did was run the shitty mobile ports of these game from a few years ago through some sort of AI upscaler - and then charge full price for it. That's fucking outrageous and coming from Rockstar it's almost unbelievable they would do that.

Ozrimandias

I don't know what happened to Rockstar.
Remember the time when in the PS3 - 360 era they release Midnight Club - then GTAIV - then Episodes from Liberty City -Then Red Dead Redemption - Then LA Noire - Then Max Payne 3 - then GTAV. All of them year after year All of them good games. Damn Max Payne 3 has the best gunplay till this day.

Shut0wen

Shit, you work for R or Take-Two that you know this insider info? It's not always up to the publisher/owner but sure both parties are equally responsible most likely.
No i dont but 9/10 its whoever owns said franchise and whoevwr makes the call is responsible and also the developers themselves for taken on the project to begin with, taketwo have alot more saying then what rockstar make you believe its there parent company, i can understand if rockstar were the developers or even the publishers but when booting the game up the only reason there sticker is on the box to begin with is because they developed the original games

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I definitely agree with the statement. CP2077 had its issues for sure, but at least it was a new and overly ambitious project for the studio.

These are "definitive editions" of basically 20 year old games. What a damn mess.

MMaRsu

Banned
Now I want some comparisons with Cyberpunk and this Definitive Edition..

You know how they were all making fun of Cyberpunk while it was an ambitious, next gen game (with flaws) but a great game imo.

GTA DE is just shitting on GTA

TheContact

I’m so disappointed in this port. I’ve only played SA on an undocked switch but the very beginning of the game there’s a camera bug. The fps drops to single digits at times and it looks terrible. I prefer the old school graphics to this really bad attempt at AI upscaling. There’s no way this was tested before it was launched. Two companies I used to have a ton of respect for: R* and Blizzard are just not the same company anymore. Same name, way different people/culture. This is embarrassingly bad though. The way they handled it is so shitty too

Last edited:
Top Bottom