• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes.com: The ‘GTA Trilogy’ Isn’t The New ‘Cyberpunk 2077,’ The Definitive Edition Is Worse

Arun1910

Agree 100%.

This remaster has more bugs than the original. Face textures on walls, rain to the point you can't see, disproportionate bodies, misspelled text, random physic bugs.

It's an absolute joke

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Fucking rockstar they pulled a Nintendo. I hope it backfires. I was going to buy it. But not know after watching a few videos. I mean lazy ass ports.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
To be fair, Tassi, the guy who wrote this is a huge cyberpunk 2077 fan. If you check his twitter/articles in the past year, I'm pretty sure 75% of them are about Cyberpunk. As for Rockstar, fuck them. They could've easily done the Mafia treatment for all 3 games considering their budget/skill but why would they? The smart business is do less if customers* keep paying.

*idiots
Yeah, give GTA 3 the 'Mafia' treatment first then maybe Vice City next year.

Cyberpunk was actually good on XSX (didn't play it on the PC or PS5). I didn't run into many issues or bugs at all. I admit they were over ambitious but it is still a good game. Now, they should have never released it on PS4 or XB1....I think that is where they are getting a lot of hate,

iorek21

Not really comparable situations, but I can see his reasoning for saying that. GTA DE is a very poor cash grab and it should be exposed as such.

On the other hand, Cyberpunk is more comparable to Assassin’s Creed Unity.

JPSLotus97T

At least we know why the turnaround time from announcement to release was so short.

I refused to buy because something seemed rotten in the state of Denmark.

ARK1391

What in the Hell is going on that we, in the know, are allowing those we advise / talk to / influence insinuations that the face of gaming is okay with this type of behavior from companies and developers.
qmL5rrg.png

Fbh

They are both bad, and I think ultimately Cyberpunk was more disappointing.
But yeah, making such unambitious remasters and then failing horribly a it is definitely pathetic.

And at least CDPR quickly offered refunds on all platforms including physical versions.

LOL
It's like the premise of a shitty movie
"Nic Cage and Renee Zellweger try to stop a group of terrorists who have turned the local trains into a deadly bioweapon in: Death Train"

Paasei

At least AC unity was very ambitious and despite the bugs, it looks amazing!

Wait... We are comparing it with CP2077

Kerotan

yep it's worse, at least Cyberpunk was ultra ambitious on a technical point of view and was attempting a lot of new things for CDPR
The gta trilogy was never meant to be anything else. It's a nice upgrade. You know the vast minority of people who bought the original trilogy on ps4 didn't play more then an hour or so before packing it in.

For all the love they get people wanted these upgrades. Just look at the trophy stats and you can see how few people actually completed them.

If this new trilogy has better completion stats then it did it's job as an upgrade.

Arun1910

The gta trilogy was never meant to be anything else. It's a nice upgrade. You know the vast minority of people who bought the original trilogy on ps4 didn't play more then an hour or so before packing it in.

For all the love they get people wanted these upgrades. Just look at the trophy stats and you can see how few people actually completed them.

If this new trilogy has better completion stats then it did it's job as an upgrade.
It is anything but a nice upgrade.

This remaster has more bugs than the original. Face textures on walls, rain to the point you can't see, disproportionate bodies, misspelled text, random physic bugs, lose of facial detail and expressions.

None of these present in the originals, this "upgrade" has more issues than the originals.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Not sure about that.

Cyberprank 2077 (start of media hype 2012)
GTA Trilogy (start of media hype :lol: 2020, maybe a menion back in 2019?)

broken bike GIF
GTFO FORBS

AlexxKidd

Hell no it ain't worse than Cyberpunk. No. 1, Trilogy was never taken off PSN. No. 2, San Andreas is still a better game than Cyberpunk ever thought of being. The real problem with Cyberpunk is once you got past the bugs shitshow, the game underneath was still trash.

They're gonna pretty it up for the next gen release, but they're putting lipstick on a pig and selling a shiny, glimmering turd. And it pains me to say it because if you haven't noticed I have a Witcher avatar and I can say definitively Witcher 3 is the best game of the last 20 years. That said I call it like I see it. With Cyberpunk, they wet the bed.

CamHostage

yep it's worse, at least Cyberpunk was ultra ambitious on a technical point of view and was attempting a lot of new things for CDPR

Also, Cyberpunk was shooting for a date that kept moving as the weight of the project crushed the company. The game was overdue, and there was no fallback product (aside from more Witcher re-releases and some Gwent promotion maybe,) no other options but to either take the massive hit and push it back again or rush it and hope it got good enough in the final crunch (which it did not.) Everything was bad, but you can at least understand the reasons why.

GTA Definitive Edition, on the other hand, was announced a month before it released. Stores weren't counting on it for their fiscal quarter expectations, analysts still had a normal outlook for the company stock (aside from GTA5 re-release being pushed back,) Take-2/Rockstar still had GTAO and RDRO going fine... nobody needed this to survive 2021. They released the game as is because, fuck it, money.

Last edited:

rolandss

Cyberpunk had 8 years of hype, the GTA ports didn't. Cyberpunk was a bigger failure.
Totally agree. Cyberpunk hype and the marketing and media push were the biggest of any game I can ever think of. It was billed as the biggest game ever to release, with the most complex open world ever seen, and a level of depth that was way beyond any rpg. It was a shallow unfinished mess.

GTA trilogy was announced and launched within like two months, and most reactions were lukewarm. Is it fucked? Yeah. Was it a bigger letdown than cyberpunk? No way in hell.

Last edited:

Kerotan

It is anything but a nice upgrade.

This remaster has more bugs than the original. Face textures on walls, rain to the point you can't see, disproportionate bodies, misspelled text, random physic bugs, lose of facial detail and expressions.

None of these present in the originals, this "upgrade" has more issues than the originals.
Well I guess they can release patches like every other game gets.

Is the purple nine glitch still a thing?

I shit all I could on Cyberpunk but I respect their vision and what they wanted to create. It should have been so much better. I'll be getting it, maybe next year or in 2023, depending on the upgrades.

This GTA remaster is just ultra trash. There is nothing to save here. I was expecting something worse than the original PS2 and oh boy, they did not disappointed! At least we know for shure that the versions to play are the original PS2 and the OG XBOX one. 20 years to figure out that!

ethomaz

Banned
Cyberbunk case was something already hinting to what the industry was moving.
Said that Cyberpunk was far worse.

But hey gamers keep accepting unfinished games.

Parch features on consoles ruined game development and it will only get worst with these new “bells” like VRR.

Last edited:
e98988824fdfa7bc86ab32d02e9aedd03e8fedd7540e89225e7d4af8327c8c6d_1.jpg

This GTA situation is infinitely worse: a soulless, lazy, extremely poorly optimized cynical full priced cash grab over the back of life long fans.

It's disgusting. Fuck Strauss Zelnick, fuck Rockstar and fuck Grove Street Games. Fuck em all.
Ahh I love the smell of hiprocrisy and straight up capitalism in the morning. Living that cyberpunk life atm.

ZehDon

Having played Cyberpunk 2077 on PC at launch, and GTA SA on Xbox Series X, GTA SA here is laughably worse. Even if you don't enjoy CP2077, there is no denying it at least tried. GTA SA straight up didn't. At all. It is the laziest crash grab I've seen in a long while. There is so much fundamentally wrong with the game that it's amazing it ever saw the light of day.

Take 2 should've just hired Night Dive and let them do their thing.

Last edited:

Thabass

This headline is garbage. So is this opinion. Is this port disappointing? Yes. Should have it been released in this state? No.

But worse than Cyberpunk? Hard no. Cyberpunk was horrendously unplayable when the game launched and could even be played on last-generation consoles without crashing every five minutes. So, while I agree that the port is horrendous, it's not on the level of Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is in it's own category.

Perrott

Gold Member
GTA is worse, because the originals are not available for sale anymore (which is extremely sad, because the PS4 port of San Andreas was excellent as it retained all the visual features from the original PS2 version)

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
gta online happened

I call it the Valve syndrome. A once very good developer realizes they can hunt whales rather than develop quality games and over the course of a decade or so slowly devolves into keeping alive some old-ass game by selling hats and other cosmetics. At least Valve gave us Steam and continues to improve it. Rockstar is just a GTA Online company now, who doesn't even bother in the least with things like client security or common sense anti-cheat. They're 10000% about selling Shark Cards and re-selling GTA V now, while occasionally half-heartedly offering some new Red Dead 2 / Online update once in a while, or sloppy "remasters' like this def edition.

Boss Mog

The thing with Cyberpunk is that they were trying to run it on last gen consoles with netbook CPUs. The game was too ambitious for those underpowered platforms. GTA on the other hand can't even run at a stable 60fps on current gen despite looking like complete horse shit.

dotnotbot

The thing with Cyberpunk is that they were trying to run it on last gen consoles with netbook CPUs. The game was too ambitious for those underpowered platforms. GTA on the other hand can't even run at a stable 60fps on current gen despite looking like complete horse shit.
Cyberpunk didn't have anything ambitious for those CPUs. AI was brain dead (enemies) or almost non-existent (traffic, peds) and it had nothing fancy when it comes to physics. Game just clearly didn't scale as good as it should.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Cyberpunk didn't have anything ambitious for those CPUs. AI was brain dead (enemies) or almost non-existent (traffic, peds) and it had nothing fancy when it comes to physics. Game just clearly didn't scale as good as it should.
Yeah that's the point, they couldn't have those things because they were limited by those CPUs.

Vae_Victis

Banned

I believe this is a bug that could happen in the original PS2 version as well, but it required some very specific circumstances to perform it. Wondering if it's still the case or in the newer version it just happens every time you wiggle a car.

In unrelated news, the games now also have save-corrupting crashes. Those are always fun.

TL;DR: a streamer playing San Andreas on Switch was using a vending machine over and over to do a joke, and after around 600 uses in a row the game just abruptly closed, and the save game became corrupted and impossible to load. He didn't do something strange and then save the game, the save file corrupted itself as a consequence of a crash that had nothing to do with saving the game at all.

dotnotbot

I believe this is a bug that could happen in the original PS2 version as well, but it required some very specific circumstances to perform it. Wondering if it's still the case or in the newer version it just happens every time you wiggle a car.

In unrelated news, the games now also have save-corrupting crashes. Those are always fun.

TL;DR: a streamer playing San Andreas on Switch was using a vending machine over and over to do a joke, and after around 600 uses in a row the game just abruptly closed, and the save game became corrupted and impossible to load. He didn't do something strange and then save the game, the save file corrupted itself as a consequence of a crash that had nothing to do with saving the game at all.

I remember that previous San Andreas editions from War Drum also had save corruption issues.

Top Bottom