• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor: At This Point, ‘Halo Infinite’ Could Launch Without A Campaign And Still Be A Megahit

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'd rather just have a campaign. I have Siege and Battlefield to cover my MP needs and they offer gameplay that allows more match variety and freedom.

Honestly the same thing could be said for any large multiplayer game executed well. Fighting games, Splatoon, Call of Duty, etc.

That said, a campaign certainly helps, and lots of people only play that.

MiguelItUp

I'm excited to check out the multiplayer as it's a return to form for the IP. I mean, the footage I've seen definitely looks fun and solid. But the reactions I've read and seen have me feeling a lot more hype than I was expecting. I was never really the biggest Halo fan, but I played the hell out of 3 and Reach, especially the multiplayer. But I'm hoping that in the end, the entire Infinite package is the best the series has seen since the games I mentioned previously.

I just hope the whole project is successful for everyone involved because it certainly looked like a bumpy road.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Me too. this is why everything halo for me is
kid-mad.gif

Halo too good to sleep on because you don't have access to one title. Watch the cutscene compilation on YouTube plus read the wiki plot synopsis and you're good.

martino

Halo too good to sleep on because you don't have access to one title. Watch the cutscene compilation on YouTube plus read the wiki plot synopsis and you're good.
5 is without doubt the worst campaign in the series. Be thankful they are sparing PC players from playing it.

But it is on GamePass, you can probably stream it to your PC with xCloud?
i didn't used the angry kid gif without reason here
i can be like that

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
H4 is so good. Best in the series imho.

Amazing that they went from that, to Guardians

It's really honestly almost unbelievable. I know they lost the guy who wrote H4, but it's still crazy the pivot they took. Locke has absolutely no reasonable character motivation to stop chief, which makes you not want to play as him, and This Cortana is a completely different person. It's painful. Also a complete waste of the other Blue team folks.

H4 did such a good job of building off of expanded universe stuff, H5 butchered everything they could, except for Buck I guess.

Greggy

I'm all for delays when needed but a delay after having announced a one year delay would scream "we don't know that we're doing and we're in up to our necks".
Just release both. If anything, the polished and popular multiplayer shoudl perfectly make up for the missing co-op in the campaign at launch.

Swift_Star

Banned
I think it depends. How many of them are sandbox/arena shooters? The views the videos get, the social feed with each flight has been pretty immense, so I don't think it's going to fly under the radar. Above all else, Halo is still a relevant IP today so that has a factor.
I agree with all that but I still believe it'll face quite a challenge. All we can do rn is wait and see.

small_law

There’s nothing like playing through the Bungie Halo campaigns for the first time. I just don’t have faith in 343 to make something like them, at least not until they prove differently.

Before you ask, yes I’m including Halo 4 and yes I will die on this hill.

Shubh_C63

I gotta catch up with Skill Ups new vid but he said Halo MP is just not good, but very very very good. His words.

Vaelka

After Halo 4 it was meh? So like, Just H5? H5 was a bad campaign by it's own merits, not due to fatigue or anything.

I was thinking of the main series but sure ODST and Reach weren't awful.
I meant the whole Master Chief story and how they're introducing new villains and overcomplicating the lore etc.
Even in Halo 4 the Didact and '' the chosen one(s) '' and all that felt extremely cheesy and generic.
I didn't really like Halo 4's campaign either outside of Chief and Cortana.

I really don't like the notion of new Spartans either, I get that Chief is an ultra badass anyways but it always felt like it cheapened him to me.
The previous Spartans were fine but I always felt it was cooler and more interesting with Chief basically being the last of his breed.
Now they're just running around all over the place.

Imo Halo 4 should've been the last and without the Didact and all the other stuff, it should've focused entirely on Cortana and Chief and ended how it did and with Chief retiring ( and without the other Spartans ).

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Let’s not get carried away halo’s campaign is the #1 selling point it’s a classic thing to play through that than go MP.

I'm not a fan of games that are online only. It's okay if online is their bread-n-butter, but I think every game should have an offline mode too.

Andodalf

Banned
I was thinking of the main series but sure ODST and Reach weren't awful.
I meant the whole Master Chief story and how they're introducing new villains and overcomplicating the lore etc.
Even in Halo 4 the Didact and '' the chosen one(s) '' and all that felt extremely cheesy and generic.
I didn't really like Halo 4's campaign either outside of Chief and Cortana.

I really don't like the notion of new Spartans either, I get that Chief is an ultra badass anyways but it always felt like it cheapened him to me.
The previous Spartans were fine but I always felt it was cooler and more interesting with Chief basically being the last of his breed.
Now they're just running around all over the place.

Imo Halo 4 should've been the last and without the Didact and all the other stuff, it should've focused entirely on Cortana and Chief and ended how it did and with Chief retiring ( and without the other Spartans ).

Halo 4 makes a lot of sense in context of the Expanded universe, and serves to explain what happened to the forunners, and with the forerunner book trilogy explain about the origins of the gravemind/ flood/ precursors. It's also just a good story, mainly for that Chief/ Cortana stuff. Reach is also just a well told story. H1-3 do good stuff, but are very weak narratives. The existance of spartan 3s is weird pre CE, but the Spartan 4s who are just better ODSTs make a lot of sense narratively, why on earth would you not want to make more Super Soldiers when one just saved the Galaxy?

Also what the hell is Halo 4 supposed to be about with no new villain? This is an FPS lol

twilo99

I dunno about that, but they are missing a HUGE opportunity by not including a battle royale mode for this game.. that's where all the money is at

The campaign will be very good, I think they will make sure of that.

Last edited:
Bro, I don’t really care, just replying to the guy that thinks Halo Infinite is GOTY material because of multiplayer. Hope it does tho, but campaign without co-op? What’s Halo without co-op?

I mean, it's fair to be skeptical. But if one part of the package (the part that most people will play for longer) is GOTY material, what does it matter if the single player isn't? Are we measuring GOTY's by a prescripted set of criteria now? How many single player GOTYs had multiplayer that *basically no one gave a shit about? Last of Us 2 comes to mind as the most recent example (edit: I was thinking of last of us 1--I played a little of both games' single player. shows how much I cared about whatever multi ND would put in which is the same opinion most people had of Uncharted's multi). And Overwatch won lots of GOTY awards in 2016 as a multiplayer only shooter. Halo's multiplayer is free to play.

if it can win GOTY based on its unpaid portion, why should the paid single player be a knock against it? not saying any of this will happen, just hypothetically.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Just like Halo 5 which had very good MP, the overall judgment on whether the game is good or not will come down to the SP campaign

THEAP99

Banned
I mean the multiplayer is free to play, it's basically it's own thing at this point looking for a different audience.

h4t3

If cod rly Boring ww2 + still cheater invested and BF 2042 just so so then yeah HaloInfinite MP best shooter this year

This game won’t sell even 5 mio copies
You misunderstand its intent. It's like the cheap subsidised food at Ikea or Costco, it's to bring you in. Regardless of Gamepass this game will still sell over 5mil, the only question on that is when not if.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I tried getting into the Halo Infinite multiplayer but it wasn't for me. I feel like Destiny 2 is better.
Interesting as I was playing it I felt like it had a Destiny feel in terms of the movement and weapons. Guess we'll just have to see what the full package looks like

sainraja

Interesting as I was playing it I felt like it had a Destiny feel in terms of the movement and weapons. Guess we'll just have to see what the full package looks like
I might need to spend more time with it. I will be giving it a try again when the game officially comes out.I just wasn't feeling it. I mean, yes it shares the same perspective but there is something to how we move around in Destiny that I just like. Not knocking Infinite....but so far just not into it.

Top Bottom