• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Does Microsoft Need To Give 'Halo' To Someone Besides 343?

im not reading all that
but im happy for you
or sorry that happened

It's fine. You don't have to. This is all you need to see. Halo Infinite is the #2 most played game on Game Pass. Game Pass is THE biggest thing at Xbox right now and the reason Microsoft is dropping up to $80 billion on gaming related acquisitions. Microsoft take Halo from 343? Wishful thinking my friend. Keep it in your dreams. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yna7zx5.png

I'd say branch off Halo into more genres. Never played Halo Wars since I dont like RTS but I think it got decent reviews.

I'm sure they can figure out how to make a Halo game an adventure/RPG like a Mass Effect game, than purely just a shooter.

That.. that's literally what Halo Infinite did.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Only people who will say yes to this are people who don't like Halo as a franchise, I honestly think. 343 are the perfect studio for Halo and they have done an amazing job with it.
They have failed 4 times in a row. Halo 4 was the closest to a "good game" they have ever had and its major problem was balancing in MP (which led to it dying off pretty quickly) and much of its story being relegated to extraneous media sources. Halo 5's problems are well documented here and elsewhere. MCC was broken for literal years and barely playable. They had to hire outside sources to fix their mistakes. It still took nearly a decade post launch to fix the most basic problems.

Nothing is wrong with giving spinoffs to other studios, but they would be dumb to ever take the main franchise from 343 after all the success they've had with it. They know what they're doing.
What success? They are actively doing worse than Bungie did. Halo doesn't have the market share of attention it used to. Its a joke. A shell of its former self.

Even with a better progression system, many more maps and modes, Halo Infinite's population STILL drops as much as it has down to the most hardcore of the hardcore because people desire those battle Royale games that they and their friends are playing, that the streamers are playing. They desire to jump around and play different things every now and then.
People desire to play finished, completed games with the same level of launch content as previous releases. Not less while being nickle and dimed in MTX.

A massive number of Xbox gamers moved on to Elden Ring. A game I doubted before release, but as it turns out really, really is something special. A traditionalist MP Halo has no chance against that and against all the other games available on Xbox right now. Just before Elden Ring dropped Halo Infinite had
That isn't how that works. Do you really think the crossover between Halo Fans and Elden Ring players, from an FPS MP/SP title to an open world action RPG is that large? I am sure there were some that moved over, but unless you can verify this claim with data, I am going to assume you are full of your usual shill shit.

The Halo audience is older than it use to be. The existing Halo MP formula, regardless of content (which does need to be better), isn't as attractive to as many people as it use to be. Even for many older players they've moved on. I haven't been affected by this dilemma because I was never a big Halo MP guy to begin with. I didn't become a Halo fan till right before Halo 3's release when I read Halo: The Fall of Reach and Halo: Ghosts of Onyx. Those two books are what made the Halo Universe interesting enough for me to seriously give the videogames a chance. And it took some getting use to to find my appreciation for Halo as a videogame franchise. I'm all about Halo Campaign because of how much I enjoy the lore.
Older players moved on because 343i utterly failed to give people what they want.

The Halo many remember had far less competition in the shooter space. Not just that, there was less competition on the Xbox platform itself. There are now many games that are more than worthy enough to dominate people's attention over everybody just playing Halo simply because there isn't much else better on the platform and a lot of games skip the platform. Knowledge of what is available is also on a whole other level now in the Youtube/Twitch content creator era. The accessibility to all those games, especially backwards compatible ones, is also all the easier with Game Pass.
Halo had *more* competition during its heyday than it does now. Everyone tried to be the next Halo. Every FPS game had to have a MP mode to compete with Halo and CoD. You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Looking at steam you would think Halo Infinite and MCC trade blows with one another. Not the case if you look at Microsoft's storefront.
A game that was broken for years vs a game with barely any content and much of it is hidden behind a paywall. Great comparisons.

But the reality is that the market has changed. It isn't 343 that's somehow doing all this stuff wrong. Should content for MP come quicker? Yes, that would be nice, but I don't believe for a second it makes a massive difference in the current number of people playing the game on places like steam and even on Xbox and on Microsoft's store.
343i failed to release a sequel for 6 years, with numerous development problems that have been explained ad nauseum in this thread and others. They had to hire back old veterans to fix the broken shit they had leading to a still bare bones, rushed release that we got.

I get you are a shill. You are TheLastWord of Xbox console warriors. However, if you truly gave a shit about the series that you claim to. If you truly gave a damn about the platform of Xbox - you wouldn't accept lesser quality releases like this.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Last year I went back with a friend and replayed Halo CE and 2 on TMCC and it was as good as I remembered, except with snazzy new graphics. I had an absolute blast playing and we’re going to do it again this week sometime.

For me the series wasn’t the same after 2 and really after CE. I don’t think 343 knows how to recapture that magic, or their vision is just different. They tried the open world thing and to me it just didn’t work. The gameplay was very good. But it felt directionless in the single player campaign.

Whoever does Halo going forward I hope it’s someone who can model the SP campaign after the first couple entries in the series

CE and 2 are the best campaigns. The story parts of Halo 3 are cool but the gameplay isn't anywhere near as good as CE/2. The rest are not memorable by comparison, well ODST is solid and Reach did some interesting things but CE/2 are just a tier higher. H2A was the step in the right direction.

All they needed to do was take H2A through its own engine updates and push out games like Battle Royale or esports spin offs as their own games and flavours. Rinse and repeat.

It's crazy to me the lack of clarity 343 have with Halo. They never fully realise any of their ideas e.g. Halo 4 really didn't lean into COD enough, if that's what it wanted. Halo 5 didn't do coop and squad commands enough but had nice networking for online coop/PvE style. Infinite doesn't have any aim in the story and the gameplay although very much Halo sandbox it lacks the magic of CE/2 and of course it's completely missing any way to play it splitscreen or online coop etc.

Honestly wish they tasked one studio/team for fan service simply bashing out latest trends with Halo flavours and another studio/team to go nuts with their own vision and creativity.

Don't even start me on the show or toys or books. Some of the merch has been decent. Hunt the Truth was super well done.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Yes, ID soft Halo would be godlike. I can feel it.

I've just imagined Doom's gameplay and graphics with Halo's guns, and seriously, that's all that's really needed. Plus CoD controls, because Doom on consoles isn't that great to play (still much better than Halo tho).

Papacheeks

Banned
Only people who will say yes to this are people who don't like Halo as a franchise, I honestly think. 343 are the perfect studio for Halo and they have done an amazing job with it.

Nothing is wrong with giving spinoffs to other studios, but they would be dumb to ever take the main franchise from 343 after all the success they've had with it. They know what they're doing.

Even with a better progression system, many more maps and modes, Halo Infinite's population STILL drops as much as it has down to the most hardcore of the hardcore because people desire those battle Royale games that they and their friends are playing, that the streamers are playing. They desire to jump around and play different things every now and then.

A massive number of Xbox gamers moved on to Elden Ring. A game I doubted before release, but as it turns out really, really is something special. A traditionalist MP Halo has no chance against that and against all the other games available on Xbox right now. Just before Elden Ring dropped Halo Infinite had

The Halo audience is older than it use to be. The existing Halo MP formula, regardless of content (which does need to be better), isn't as attractive to as many people as it use to be. Even for many older players they've moved on. I haven't been affected by this dilemma because I was never a big Halo MP guy to begin with. I didn't become a Halo fan till right before Halo 3's release when I read Halo: The Fall of Reach and Halo: Ghosts of Onyx. Those two books are what made the Halo Universe interesting enough for me to seriously give the videogames a chance. And it took some getting use to to find my appreciation for Halo as a videogame franchise. I'm all about Halo Campaign because of how much I enjoy the lore.

The Halo many remember had far less competition in the shooter space. Not just that, there was less competition on the Xbox platform itself. There are now many games that are more than worthy enough to dominate people's attention over everybody just playing Halo simply because there isn't much else better on the platform and a lot of games skip the platform. Knowledge of what is available is also on a whole other level now in the Youtube/Twitch content creator era. The accessibility to all those games, especially backwards compatible ones, is also all the easier with Game Pass.

Outriders is a good game getting crazy content, yet it's not in the top 49 games on Xbox and it's on Game Pass. Sea of Thieves, which is insanely popular, is #28 on on Xbox eco-system.

Master Chief Collection is #44 on Xbox.

Halo Infinite is in the top 15 on Xbox.

Looking at steam you would think Halo Infinite and MCC trade blows with one another. Not the case if you look at Microsoft's storefront.

But the reality is that the market has changed. It isn't 343 that's somehow doing all this stuff wrong. Should content for MP come quicker? Yes, that would be nice, but I don't believe for a second it makes a massive difference in the current number of people playing the game on places like steam and even on Xbox and on Microsoft's store.

And also, considering Game Pass is the most exciting thing going at Xbox right now, and it's a huge success (15 million new subscribers since 2020, now sitting at over 25 million) it's important to see what those subscribers are playing most. And would you look at that... Halo Infinite is the #2 most played game among Game Pass subscribers. So you mean to tell me the 2nd most played thing on the subscription that has Microsoft throwing all this money at gaming is the same Halo Infinite. Sea of Thieves is #6. As to why you don't see MLB The Show on the game pass list, it means many more people on Xbox are playing a version of MLB The Show 22 they bought rather than playing the Game Pass version.

KvfRaLO.png

And for those who might think it isn't fair to only look at Game Pass subscribers, I say why the hell not? Game Pass is the main reason Microsoft is dropping all this money on acquisitions and why they're so all in on gmaing. And their previous big buy before Activision, Bethesda, accounts for 3 of the top 10 most played in Game Pass.

I love that you specifically filtered games based on gamepass when the MP is F2P for halo. If you did regular most played games on xbox it gives you the actual correct stats in terms of games actively being played online.

And halo is #14 getting beat by Cold war call of duty a almost 2 year old game.

iLc0zeg.png

Last edited:

ahtlas7

When Bungie was making Halo it was top brass. Now, in the incapable hands of 343, it doesn’t even place on the top Gaf list. For shame. I don’t know who should take over but status quo is for chumps!

CuNi

It's fine. You don't have to. This is all you need to see. Halo Infinite is the #2 most played game on Game Pass. Game Pass is THE biggest thing at Xbox right now and the reason Microsoft is dropping up to $80 billion on gaming related acquisitions. Microsoft take Halo from 343? Wishful thinking my friend. Keep it in your dreams. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What's exactly the connection of 343i developing the game and it being on GamePass?
It's a MS game. It'll be on GamePass day one regardless which MS Studio develops it.
Halo is THE Xbox game. It being in such a desolate situation and such awful track record of 343i, it would only be in their interest to take a closer look at how it's possible that Infinite got such devastating press even prior to release with the reveal trailer.

We obviously won't know what happens internally but I am pretty sure it's not just being shrugged off. I don't see them give the game to another studio either, but I could easily see shifts in the upper ranks at 343i in the coming months.

I've just imagined Doom's gameplay and graphics with Halo's guns, and seriously, that's all that's really needed. Plus CoD controls, because Doom on consoles isn't that great to play (still much better than Halo tho).
xBtPSOH.gif

The hardcore Halo players don't like the fast pace gameplay of newer Halo they don't even like sprint
but you want Doom style gameplay with Halo are you ok bro? wtf some of the post in here are weird as heck
& lacks basic knowledge of what real Halo fans want

ID Software is working on Quake Reboot now & will make more Doom
they will never touch Halo & i don't want them to
ID are to good of a Dev to waste on making Halo

If 343 cannot give update to Infinite fast enough than hell end it
don't waste other Devs talent on making Halo when it should have ended after Halo 3
there is a reason Halo creator Bungie never want to make another Halo after Halo 3

GrayFoxPL

I heard Bungie is staying independent. Contract it back to them ;)

Released by Sony(money) made by Sony's Bungie(time). Revenues from sales go to Sony.

Oh! Halo on Xbox and PlayStation. 👌

Girl Smile GIF

/jk

Probably staying "independent" does not mean in this business what it usually means.

More like: "Do what you want but for us and we decide on which platforms to release."

BlackTron

I personally really like Infinite, but I'm a pretty simple man. In the past my most played version of Halo was the trial version on PC because it locked you into all I wanted, slayer and CTF on blood gulch. I mean I owned the game too but after knocking out the campaign on Legendary I just used the trial for hundreds of hours. I use Infinite the same way doing big team battle over and over again lol.

That being said. While I may not be very sensitive personally to slow content and feature drops, it's beyond obvious how damaging it is to Halo especially in this day and age, and by extension to the Xbox brand as a whole.

Some people act like it's okay if you release a broken/ unfinished game as long as you get around to it eventually. Not really. It's strategically crippling. Halo is like the Mario of Xbox, it should be a tent pole game. MCC was the most critical piece of software to release on Xbox last gen and their shot to recenter the Xbox as something you play a game on instead of all that media garbage. 343 could not even have a port working as a functioning product and it destroyed the launch of the console. They did not bother fully finishing/fixing the game until it was time to hype Infinite. Imagine if you were a loyal Xbox fan who saw through that terrible E3 and bought an Xbox One/MCC anyway only to be put aside until they feel the need to fix it to regain reputation for the next game. It just goes to show they could have fixed the technical issues any time but Microsoft waited until there was a business reason to make them do it. It literally took years. I had long since moved on from any respect for them by the time the game worked. And this was just a collection of old games.

Infinite also has some technical and networking issues which thankfully aren't as crippling as MCC and seem to be getting better. But after their last fiasco, over promising and then under delivering in features after 6 years to sort out their shit is a bad look. People are rightfully out of patience with a studio that is incapable of doing Xbox's most important IP justice. MS is only hurting themselves but maybe it's like Disney where they're afraid of their own employees.

Infinite is good for me because it gives me a free game to do some big team battle that rekindles the feeling of all blood gulch matches I played so much, and the core mechanics are more or less on point. In the grander scheme it's still a massive strategic failure for Microsoft when you consider what this IP should be accomplishing for them. In fact it should have been out at Series launch with twice the content it has now, and co op.

Papacheeks

Banned
Last year I went back with a friend and replayed Halo CE and 2 on TMCC and it was as good as I remembered, except with snazzy new graphics. I had an absolute blast playing and we’re going to do it again this week sometime.

For me the series wasn’t the same after 2 and really after CE. I don’t think 343 knows how to recapture that magic, or their vision is just different. They tried the open world thing and to me it just didn’t work. The gameplay was very good. But it felt directionless in the single player campaign.

Whoever does Halo going forward I hope it’s someone who can model the SP campaign after the first couple entries in the series

Outside of the random crash I had that made me and my friend quit for the night, playing the Halo 2 anniversary edition felt like a new game. it looks great and god damn, that gameplay is still clutch. We literally went through almost the entire game in one night on heroic.

I mean there still are issues with the sound in Combat evolved, and some hitches here and there like getting into a group. But man those games still slap. Reach was also a highlight for being not really remastered the same way halo 2 was in terms of higher quality character models, lighting ect. But it still looked good and plays even better.

I just dont understand how 343 made MCC, had the issues, then 4 years later went back got them to a good place on their PC release, and didn't use that expierence while they were making Infinite? How do you look at MCC and be like: " you know what Halo needs, hero classes, battle royale".
Feels like 343 listened too much back in the day to trends and higher ups in influencing what they were making. Bungie would never have even listened or entertained any of those idea's.

To me 343 failure falls on Microsoft 100%. And what I fear is 343 isn't the only Microsoft founded studio with project issues.
I hope this is the wake up call they need to go through their studios and make the drastic changes needed, and also internally to upper management.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
The hardcore Halo players

So like a mere few thousands of people. That's Halo's and 343 biggest issue, they desperately try to focus on this tiny group of people who just wants a 20yo Halo CE just on a next-gen engine,nothing more, while at the same time gather as much today's actual audience as possible, but it's the legacy BS that pushes modern players away from the game. With behemoths like Fortnite, CoD/Warzone, Apex, CS:GO etc. there's simply no place for a game this bad/random/broken, even if it's F2P, even if it has a billion maps and playlists.

So like a mere few thousands of people. That's Halo's and 343 biggest issue, they desperately try to focus on this tiny group of people who just wants a 20yo Halo CE just on a next-gen engine,nothing more, while at the same time gather as much today's actual audience as possible, but it's the legacy BS that pushes modern players away from the game. With behemoths like Fortnite, CoD/Warzone, Apex, CS:GO etc. there's simply no place for a game this bad/random/broken, even if it's F2P, even if it has a billion maps and playlists.
Honestly i have no idea what the Halo community wants anymore but if you go to the Halo Sub Reddit you can see all the crying and salt post they do there
and from what i see they don't want Halo to copy COD or Doom that for sure if 343 do that it will just pissed them off more
and it a sub reddit of over a million not just a couple thousands lol

Outside of the random crash I had that made me and my friend quit for the night, playing the Halo 2 anniversary edition felt like a new game. it looks great and god damn, that gameplay is still clutch. We literally went through almost the entire game in one night on heroic.

I mean there still are issues with the sound in Combat evolved, and some hitches here and there like getting into a group. But man those games still slap. Reach was also a highlight for being not really remastered the same way halo 2 was in terms of higher quality character models, lighting ect. But it still looked good and plays even better.

I just dont understand how 343 made MCC, had the issues, then 4 years later went back got them to a good place on their PC release, and didn't use that expierence while they were making Infinite? How do you look at MCC and be like: " you know what Halo needs, hero classes, battle royale".
Feels like 343 listened too much back in the day to trends and higher ups in influencing what they were making. Bungie would never have even listened or entertained any of those idea's.

To me 343 failure falls on Microsoft 100%. And what I fear is 343 isn't the only Microsoft founded studio with project issues.
I hope this is the wake up call they need to go through their studios and make the drastic changes needed, and also internally to upper management.
I hope to shed a little more clarity regarding 343 and their management issues (and by extension MS's management) relating to the MCC. You see you played the PC versions of the MCC which are indeed in good shape, as is the Series X version. However, if you look at the Xbox One X which was supposed to offer the "premium" experience prior to PC/Series X releases, you'll see that MCC runs like absolute dogshit to this day! To make matters worse though- it used to run really well on that console! It was running at a dynamic 4k/60 fps with some drops in FPS, but not severe drops or anything. It felt more or less smooth until 2 years ago when Halo Reach update happened, which tanked the fps for some reason AND added constant brutal stuttering to the campaigns of Halo CE and Halo 2A.

So why is this so 'enlightening' as to how ugly the management is at 343 and MS? Because instead of doing right by Xb1X owners (the once "world's most powerful console") and fixing such game breaking framerate/stuttering issues, they've just ignored it to this day while only focusing and caring about the PC/series x. People who bought a One X who want a PLAYABLE Halo 1/2 experience have had to not only spend $500 on a 1X but have had to AGAIN spend another $500 on a Series X or even more than that for a PC! It blows my mind that MS and 343 treats any segment of their customer base THIS BADLY but they do.

clarky

Gold Member
I hope to shed a little more clarity regarding 343 and their management issues (and by extension MS's management) relating to the MCC. You see you played the PC versions of the MCC which are indeed in good shape, as is the Series X version. However, if you look at the Xbox One X which was supposed to offer the "premium" experience prior to PC/Series X releases, you'll see that MCC runs like absolute dogshit to this day! To make matters worse though- it used to run really well on that console! It was running at a dynamic 4k/60 fps with some drops in FPS, but not severe drops or anything. It felt more or less smooth until 2 years ago when Halo Reach update happened, which tanked the fps for some reason AND added constant brutal stuttering to the campaigns of Halo CE and Halo 2A.

So why is this so 'enlightening' as to how ugly the management is at 343 and MS? Because instead of doing right by Xb1X owners (the once "world's most powerful console") and fixing such game breaking framerate/stuttering issues, they've just ignored it to this day while only focusing and caring about the PC/series x. People who bought a One X who want a PLAYABLE Halo 1/2 experience have had to not only spend $500 on a 1X but have had to AGAIN spend another $500 on a Series X or even more than that for a PC! It blows my mind that MS and 343 treats any segment of their customer base THIS BADLY but they do.
Buy a series s, peasant.

What's exactly the connection of 343i developing the game and it being on GamePass?
It's a MS game. It'll be on GamePass day one regardless which MS Studio develops it.
Halo is THE Xbox game. It being in such a desolate situation and such awful track record of 343i, it would only be in their interest to take a closer look at how it's possible that Infinite got such devastating press even prior to release with the reveal trailer.

We obviously won't know what happens internally but I am pretty sure it's not just being shrugged off. I don't see them give the game to another studio either, but I could easily see shifts in the upper ranks at 343i in the coming months.

About their "awful" track record. Yes, go ahead and keep holding 343 to an entirely different standard than the ones you guys claim to be successful products for games from developers you like. :)

pbFxbUR.png

zHTCkyN.png

eDT5kDz.png

0i9HEtn.png

EnqYteF.png

Is it them continuously releasing many millions of units selling, critically acclaimed games? Because that's exactly what they've done.

Halo 4 became the fastest selling game for Xbox ever, beating Halo 3. Halo Infinite just finished having the best launch of any Halo game in history at over 20 million players after a month.

And when I mentioned Game Pass, I was referring to it being the 2nd most played game amongst on the 25+ million subscribers. It's #3 now. And amongst all Xbox gamers, it isn't doing half bad there either, only a couple spaces behind Destiny that just had a massive content drop I believe. And I guess Minecraft must be a failed game.

Not one game 343 has released has failed to sell well or perform well or review well. So, yea, you guys can keep entertaining yourselves. Now I can ignore this thread.

EkIact0.png

aAdaUUH.png

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Buy a series s, peasant.

Only a peasant and one of questionable intelligence would buy a Series S. The only intelligent choice would be a Gaming PC or a Series X if you want to play Xbox/Microsoft titles. Then again, I would suggest not buying either if all you are interested in is Halo as the series is absolute shite now thanks to incredibly poor management.

About their "awful" track record. Yes, go ahead and keep holding 343 to an entirely different standard than the ones you guys claim to be successful products for games from developers you like. :)

pbFxbUR.png

zHTCkyN.png

eDT5kDz.png

0i9HEtn.png

EnqYteF.png

Is it them continuously releasing many millions of units selling, critically acclaimed games? Because that's exactly what they've done.

Halo 4 became the fastest selling game for Xbox ever, beating Halo 3. Halo Infinite just finished having the best launch of any Halo game in history at over 20 million players after a month.

And when I mentioned Game Pass, I was referring to it being the 2nd most played game amongst on the 25+ million subscribers. It's #3 now. And amongst all Xbox gamers, it isn't doing half bad there either, only a couple spaces behind Destiny that just had a massive content drop I believe. And I guess Minecraft must be a failed game.

Not one game 343 has released has failed to sell well or perform well or review well. So, yea, you guys can keep entertaining yourselves. Now I can ignore this thread.

EkIact0.png

aAdaUUH.png

We get it. You are a mindless shill that doesn’t care about quality and wants to desperately protect his favorite wittle plastic box. Seek professional help already.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not really a fan but it seems to me that a lot of the issues probably stem from Microsoft's own massive ambitions for the franchise and the amount of political bullshit that comes along with it.

What I mean is that most likely every decision is considered for its "strategic implications" and as a result progress is slow because of all the oversight.

Also although I'm not saying Halo isn't popular, I'm doubtful it has the same mass-market appeal as a CoD or Fortnite. So trying to shape it to compete head-to-head with those titles, whilst remaining somewhat faithful to its original identity... sounds like a creative strait-jacket.

As an Xbox gamer I loved the campaign. 343 hit it out of the park. I don't play multiplayer so I couldn't care less about it, but 343 have underperformed with the amount of money and resources they have had for the development of the game. It comes across as a woke company that would rather employ a less capable employee who is a member of the protected classes. If so then they show why you should employ based on talent. I don't care if the studio is 95%,transgender muslims if they release legendary games.
The campaign felt great to play but there was virtually nothing to it, all of the indoor environments looked the same and the outside area also had no variations. I could forgive all of that if the story was actually good but there was almost no story there, the main villain sounded like a cartoon character (and didn't look particularly good) and the last level was basically a single player horde mode. To me it's pretty clear that this was all thrown together out of something that was supposed to be bigger but had to be cutdown due to time and expense. This was not a good campaign at all, they nailed the gameplay but the rest of it was well below average and I wish reviewers would have actually paid attention to those things instead of talking up the grappling hook as if that made the story more interesting.

hinch7

I could get onboard with that. At least it would be something new. 343 are out of ideas and have no identity. Their games have been lacklustre and uninspired. Throwing money at a studio and a franchise doesn't get you innovation or even quality judging by how badly they butchered the completely unimpressive Slipspace engine.

This is where I'm at with Halo. As it is now.. 343 are just taking pages from Bungie's legacy and not doing much other that throwing in new stuff at the wall with each release.. Like I skipped all 343 games (okay I played an hour of two of four) and completed Infinite campaign and played its MP and it honestely.. felt like playing a game back in the CE days - and thats NOT a good thing.

MS should let the series cool off on the small backburner for a while. Let it rest and come back strong with new and fresh with new sets of eyes on it. Revamp, or maybe reboot/semi-reboot if necessary. Take 343 off it too because they are inept of releasing a full Halo game on release.

Last edited:

wipeout364

Not sure why they can’t just divert resources to the multiplayer developing maps, and new content. 343 acts like they have no capacity in their studio; but they are a massive developer. At the very least just start transferring old maps onto the rotation that are reskinned. I applaud them for delivering a polished product but they wanted a live service game, this stuff should have been in development long before launch.

wipeout364

uhm yes Alex, I'll take things that never happened for 2000 please!

*buzzes in*
What is something noone ever said about 343 Industries?
I thought the multiplayer gameplay seemed pretty smooth from what I played. Gunplay felt pretty solid as did hit detection. Connection seemed alright as well. I didn’t have a lot of issues with the gameplay felt like a good update to Halo. Weapons felt good to shoot and seemed to have heft, player movement had momentum.

Banned
I thought the multiplayer gameplay seemed pretty smooth from what I played. Gunplay felt pretty solid as did hit detection. Connection seemed alright as well. I didn’t have a lot of issues with the gameplay felt like a good update to Halo. Weapons felt good to shoot and seemed to have heft, player movement had momentum.

you must have played only 2 matches or something. the game is basically de-sync galore and has among the worst hit detection of any online shooter atm.

add to that that almost everything has some bug associated with it.
custom games literally being beyond broken, theater mode broken, cutscenes in the campaign were broken until a few weeks ago, VRR support is broken, the controller aiming is based on Halo 2 and is therefore 2 generations out of date compared to Apex, CoD or any good modern shooter... I could whip out a terrifyingly long list here but I'll leave it at that, I already made a whole thread, mostly backed by factual statements, on why Halo Infinite is a bad game :pie_roffles:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Not sure why they can’t just divert resources to the multiplayer developing maps, and new content. 343 acts like they have no capacity in their studio; but they are a massive developer. At the very least just start transferring old maps onto the rotation that are reskinned. I applaud them for delivering a polished product but they wanted a live service game, this stuff should have been in development long before launch.
This is my thought too.

Infinite plays great, I played through campaign and lots of multi with no issues. Aside from the lack of maps. Why 6 months after release have they only managed to add 2 maps. Yes, they're doing bug fixes, etc. But the people who design maps surely aren't working on programming and glitch fixes. What are their designers doing?

My only issue with 343 is that they seem so slow to get things done. Whatever the reason, fixing it should be priority one.

They need maps, otherwise its good to go. It looks good, plays better than Halo 1. I just wish it was a bit more kinetic, but thats hard to pin down and grapple is the right vibe.

Beechos

They needed to give it to someone else 7 years ago. 343 is hugely incompetent, hasnt released anything with critical or commercial success. Under anyone else they prob wouldve been shutdown years ago.

Ozriel

M$FT
Just let halo die honestly, it's been a decomposing corpse for a while

No, it hasn’t. The campaign was extremely well received.

Lol @ ‘decomposing corpse’

They needed to give it to someone else 7 years ago. 343 is hugely incompetent, hasnt released anything with critical or commercial success. Under anyone else they prob wouldve been shutdown years ago.

Halo Infinite’s Metacritic scores and GOTY awards doesnt qualify as critical success, because reasons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom