• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes] New ‘God Of War Ragnarok’ Trailer Showcases A Clear ‘Elden Ring’ GOTY Competitor

There’s many things I hate about Elden Ring

But I highly doubt that GoW is the better game.

I’m sorry but GoW 2018 felt like such a focus-tested, derivative ass game made on a conveyer belt. And I hate the camera.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why do people keep saying this when no one has played this game yet?
BecUse it lucks pirdy

tenor.gif

Sorry folks, as much as you wish it, ER can’t be topped.

Mr Hyde

I'm just happy we get incredible games like Elden Ring, Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok in the same year. 2022 has been a magnificent year for me in terms of games. Elden Ring is my GOTY so far though.

FunkMiller

Doubt.

GoW will be great, but it’s a sequel, and one that doesn’t seem to be pushing things beyond the first game in a meaningful way.

GymWolf

It's going to be like it was in 2018 when it split awards with RDR2. VGAs could go either way. They gave it to Sekiro over Death Stranding after giving kojima best director which was bizarre. So they must love fromsoft, but they also gave it to GOW so who knows. It will be close either way.

I personally think that the gameplay is going to feel incredibly stale and samey. The few videos they have shown so far dont really feature any brand new mechanics. No Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 or AC1 to AC2 leap. It's going to be more of the same, and those games typically dont win too many GOTY awards. See how no one is even talking about HFW this year despite the first finishing runner up to BOTW. GOW is going to have some epic setpieces and boss fights as shown in the trailer, but the sameyness will hurt it in GOTY voting even if it scores really high.

Or It might be treated like GOW2. An epic masterpiece that was held back by the PS2 and overshadowed by Mass Effect, Bioshock, Uncharted and Halo 3 despite some incredible setpieces, boss fights and probably the best campaign of the lot. I think Elden Rings also feels too samey but clearly the critics didnt think so. Probably impressed by the new open world design and ignored the samey combat.
What kinda of jump do you had between ac1 and 2? The combat was the same shitty counter based stuff for noobs (i returned the game to gamestop when i realized that, one full game with that shitty combat was enough) and unchy 2 still had the same floaty shitty gunplay, it's unchy4 that made a huge jump in gunplay and movements.

Your point still stand because i don't feel like ragnarock is gonna be a huge jump gameplay wise, more like a noticeable refinement if anything , i was just curious to know the huge (and imaginary) improvements you saw in the combat of these sequels...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Do some people think that any serious gamer is gonna give a fuck about a forbes contributor article??

This thing is not gonna move a single vote in a goty poll...

OZ9000

Banned
Elden Ring will likely win GOTY even though it's nothing more than an open world Dark Souls. Which by default makes it inferior to Dark Souls. I'm not a fan of the pacing and the game feels like a slog to play.

Naturally I am drawn to cinematic/blockbuster games so I'm biased here but if GOWR is better than GOW then I hope it wins it.

LMAO

A lot of GoW fans here are coping and begging for a miracle. ER will shatter Ragnorok for GOTY, easily.

Why do i feel like its the opposite :pie_thinking:

I feel like the people hoping GOWR doesn’t get the “GOTY” are the people who don’t have access to it while most GOWR players probably played and enjoyed Elden Ring and wouldn’t mind either one winning?

And even if one or the other wins the Keighlys they will split down the middle for other publications so the real winners are the people who get to play both.

And as for platform wars, sony own GoW and partly own Fromsoft and have stake in kadokawa so it’s dumb if tahts what you’re basing your hopes and dreams on. Both Horizon and God of War are gonna win a ton of awards this year, wouldn’t be surprised if GT7 and TLOU get some for accessbility and features also, the former will take home best racing/sports game

Last edited:

skneogaf

Nah elden ring is game of the year, it is completely new and on all grown up platforms.

Ill love God of war but elden ring took over the planet for that period of time.

Friends that have no idea what dark souls is were watching people play it on switch for weeks!

The fact the gow isn't open world makes it even more appealing. Tired of every studio jumping on the open world bandwagon. I want a focused game. Not an oprn world that will inevitably lead to copy paste design.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Realistically does it matter what game wins GOTY!? I mean lets say if GOWR wins GOTY but if you enjoyed Elden Ring more then that game gonna be your GOTY regardless what VGA shows decide.

Hugare

Ragnarok will be the last of it's kind. Irrelevant by 2024. A footnote on gaming history and nothing more.

Gaming media has to sell a product though because they're of no use if they don't.
You're almost becoming a parody at this point with your hate for singleplayer games

At least do better than this. Saying that the game will be irrelevant by 2024 is ridiculous, even if trolling.

If you were being serious, than I worry about your mental health

Arachnid

Why do i feel like its the opposite :pie_thinking:

I feel like the people hoping GOWR doesn’t get the “GOTY” are the people who don’t have access to it while most GOWR players probably played and enjoyed Elden Ring and wouldn’t mind either one winning?

And even if one or the other wins the Keighlys they will split down the middle for other publications so the real winners are the people who get to play both.

And as for platform wars, sony own GoW and partly own Fromsoft and have stake in kadokawa so it’s dumb if tahts what you’re basing your hopes and dreams on. Both Horizon and God of War are gonna win a ton of awards this year, wouldn’t be surprised if GT7 and TLOU get some for accessbility and features also, the former will take home best racing/sports game
Who's even talking about platform wars?? Elden Ring is enjoyed by all. You're the one who wants to blame all non-sonycentric viewpoints on stupid platform loyalty, which sounds like cope on your part too.

Elden Ring is just that good.

PS72DTt.gif

Last edited:
I don't get the need from some people for this to win Goty, having those types of expectations is never good.

Ragnarok is a ps5 system seller for me but I want:
  • more options/combos the leviathan axe
  • Thor's hammer to feel unique compared to the other weapons and is fun to see use
  • and the controls of the blades slightly tightened up compared to 2018

Who's even talking about platform wars?? Elden Ring is enjoyed by all. You're the one who wants to blame all non-sonycentric viewpoints on stupid platform loyalty, which sounds like cope on your part too.

PS72DTt.gif

To you, yeah. I'm sure there's going to be many who enjoy gow more aswell. It's all opinion. Elden Ring will probably win the vga's though.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
I don't get the need from some people for this to win Goty, having those types of expectations is never good.
after that trailer? my hype is through the roof, Santa Monica doesn't miss.
i have holidays booked already
you cant go wrong when you have a wolf chasing the sun.

now about the game of the year. yeah Elden ring and gow are about to split it

its-alright.gif

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You're almost becoming a parody at this point with your hate for singleplayer games

At least do better than this. Saying that the game will be irrelevant by 2024 is ridiculous, even if trolling.

If you were being serious, than I worry about your mental health

I don't hate single player. I hate stagnation and AAA single player has been languishing for years.

If I'm Jim Ryan, I'm ordering Sony Santa Monica to commit harakiri and they can interpret it as a joke or they can follow through. Either way, Jim Ryan stays winning.

We're not getting a God of War 3 though. You can take that to the bank.

First of all, plenty of great trailers ended up with rank average games.
However I'm sure SSM will release of old game.
On top of that as GOW R is releasing the sake date as what Forza Horizon 5 did (9th Nov) it won't be in the time frame for a Game Awards GOTY nomination.
There's no way Geoff would exclude a MS game because it released on the 9th November but allow a Sony game.
That would come across as, well, biased.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
God of War is and always will be the king. I thought the formula was a bit played out at first but after seeing the trailer of all that is good, it's easy to see Elden Ring is just a nice beer holder until November 9 when the true GOTY is unleashed onto Playstation nation.

Stuart360

It may well end up GOTY as many people loved the first game, but to suggest this after a trailer with very little gameplay, come on now.
All i know Eldern Ring hooked me like not many games have in recent years, and as an experience felt above anyhting else i have played in recent years too.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It may well end up GOTY as many people loved the first game, but to suggest this after a trailer with very little gameplay, come on now.
All i know Eldern Ring hooked me like not many games have in recent years, and as an experience felt above anyhting else i have played in recent years too.
Both are great games but we have to remember that Elden Ring is much more flawed.

Stuart360

Both are great games but we have to remember that Elden Ring is much more flawed.
Unless you have played GOWR, thats a silly thing to say. Besides if Edern Ring is that flawed, it just shows how powerful it is as a game to overshadow that and be probable GOTY.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Unless you have played GOWR, thats a silly thing to say. Besides if Edern Ring is that flawed, it just shows how powerful it is as a game to overshadow that and be probable GOTY.
Basing on the standards of the last GOW the next should be much more polished than Elden Ring with its performance issues, clunkier physics and last gen graphics.

I think to label a game as "GOTY" when NO ONE has played it is kinda dumb. I think it's EQUALLY as dumb say things like "No WAY this has a chance" cause lets be honest... how many of you budding "Nostradamus" types saw Elden Ring and KNEW that it was going to do THAT to open world games? At most, we all knew it was going to a good/great Souls game, cause we all really like those... I don't think many saw its potential to change the trajectory of Souls games. I mean how could you? They've never made an open world game before, their strength is building interconnecting spaces/levels.

You just never know with video games. You can "guess" based on the dev and their pedigree but nothing is guaranteed, I seen enough "flops" and "home runs" to know I shouldn't prejudge.

OT: I will say that GOWR has VERY big shoes to fill, not only is it going up against Elden Ring but it's going up against GOW 2018. I wasn't even really sold on the game until the last trailer.

Last edited:
First of all, plenty of great trailers ended up with rank average games.
However I'm sure SSM will release of old game.
On top of that as GOW R is releasing the sake date as what Forza Horizon 5 did (9th Nov) it won't be in the time frame for a Game Awards GOTY nomination.
There's no way Geoff would exclude a MS game because it released on the 9th November but allow a Sony game.
That would come across as, well, biased.

The due date is November 19th reviewers will have the game by late october and Horizon 5 was included, it won multiple awards. Just wasn’t nominated for GOTY because its a racing game

Last edited:
Top Bottom