• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes] PlayStation Is Still A Hit Machine While Xbox Hasn’t Even Started Catching Up

The original FF7 was never on Xbox. So it makes sense for the remake to not be on there

FF16 is not FF7. Its a bigger game and gonna sell more

They brought FF7 to Xbox later on if I'm not wrong.

images

I definitely don't think it has anything to do with the original.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
I'm an xbox player, and while the future is going to be massive, Microsoft deserve to cop all the negative press for failing to get the games out onto the console. The performance of 343 was unacceptable and they are finally taking action. They allowed them to go fully woke and hire based on what minority you identified as rather than talent and hard work.
As far as I know 343 is still hiring people based on what minority they identify as. Who told you that 343 went unwoke because as far as I know they are still fully woke. MICROSOFT IS 100% FULLY WOKE!!! I ain't kidding, here take 5 minutes out of your day and watch this 5 minute video on YouTube where you will literally see Microsoft employees introduce themselves by stating what race they are and what gender they are so you'll see a man say "hi, I'm a Caucasian man and I go by he/him"

Who the f*ck told you that 343 stopped hiring people based on their race? Please can you provide me with a source? Do you realize how woke Microsoft is as a company they are super woke! That's what they're doing they're all drinking the woke Kool-Aid.

Last edited:

Pelta88

It's the "Have you seen Titanfall?" Hail Mary all over again.

But have you seen Titanfal is 2013 Major Nelson, Aaron Greenberg, and Phil Spencer's PR at it's peak.

The console instal base pretty much collapsed around them but they were acting like Titanfall was going to even out the playing field.

Swift_Star

Banned
They brought FF7 to Xbox later on if I'm not wrong.

images

I definitely don't think it has anything to do with the original.
It doesn’t. I’m betting that square is waiting for that fat check to come so they can port the game because as it is, they probable believe the ROI is not worth it and it’s the same for FFXVI.

Swift_Star

Banned
As far as I know 343 is still hiring people based on what minority they identify as. Who told you that 343 went unwoke because as far as I know they are still fully woke. MICROSOFT IS 100% FULLY WOKE!!! I ain't kidding, here take 5 minutes out of your day and watch this 5 minute video on YouTube where you will literally see Microsoft employees introduce themselves by stating what race they are and what gender they are so you'll see a man say "hi, I'm a Caucasian man and I go by he/him"

Who the f*ck told you that 343 stopped hiring people based on their race? Please can you provide me with a source? Do you realize how woke Microsoft is as a company they are super woke! That's what they're doing they're all drinking the woke Kool-Aid.

It’s amusing that you believe mega corps really hire based on race 😂
It’s even more amusing that you believe race diversity makes games worse… it’s not like leadership is incompetent or something… right…

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Have an effect=/=hiring BASED on race.
It’s just semantics. If there’s 2 people who are equally qualified and have equally good interviews and they make the decision to hire based on minority status then yes, they’ve been hired based on that fact. Obviously if they’re equally qualified they aren’t being hired solely based on race though.

BbMajor7th

Watch this 5 minute video on YouTube where you will literally see Microsoft employees introduce themselves by stating what race they are and what gender they are so you'll see a man say "hi, I'm a Caucasian man and I go by he/him"

Who the f*ck told you that 343 stopped hiring people based on their race?

This is just the reality of corporate culture in the 2020s. How you choose to see it is up to you: some see it as performative, PR point scoring and others see it is a well-meant, if not always, well-executed shift in how certain industries, once dominated by certain demographics, conduct their business. Personally, I think it's a little of both - corporates are very risk averse on this front and very keen to avoid bad PR around these kinds of issues, but at the same time, most of their employees are middle-class, metropolitan, university graduates and these values, by and large, reflect the values of the broader workforce.

It’s amusing that you believe mega corps really hire based on race 😂

Bwahahahaha. You're extremely naive if you think this.

Megacorps don't have a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity officer on the board of directors for nothing. Go look up your employer's DE&I officer on Linkedin and ask them about their day-to-day job. You'll be fucking mind blown to find out what's going on with that and how non-meritocratic the hiring process for large companies focused on this has become.

In a perfect world, hiring based on race when multiple applicants have the same credentials will improve the business overall. But in the real world, you almost never see multiple applicants with the exact same credentials and experience. So hiring on the basis of racial and minority quotas will invariably bring in less qualified people than the best candidate among all applicants... I've seen it happen first hand far too often.

So yes, hiring on the basis of diversity can and does have a negative impact on company performance.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Playstation will always be a hit because the gaming market is 70% casual players against 30% hardcore players, that doesn't mean their games are GOTY or the best shit in the market right now.
Most GOTY awards:
  • 2022 = ??
  • 2021 = IT Takes Two (EA)
  • 2020 = TLOU 2 (PlayStation)
  • 2019 = Death Stranding (PlayStation)
  • 2018 = GOW (PlayStation)
  • 2017 = Zelda BOTW (Nintendo)
  • 2016 = Uncharted 4 (PlayStation)
PlayStation Studio games have won the most GOTY awards in 4 out of 6 years.

At least get your facts straight, man.

svbarnard

Banned
Bwahahahaha. You're extremely naive if you think this.

Megacorps don't have a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity officer on the board of directors for nothing. Go look up your employer's DE&I officer on Linkedin and ask them about their day-to-day job. You'll be fucking mind blown to find out what's going on with that and how non-meritocratic the hiring process for large companies focused on this has become.

In a perfect world, hiring based on race when multiple applicants have the same credentials will improve the business overall. But in the real world, you almost never see multiple applicants with the exact same credentials and experience. So hiring on the basis of racial and minority quotas will invariably bring in less qualified people than the best candidate among all applicants... I've seen it happen first hand far too often.

So yes, hiring on the basis of diversity can and does have a negative impact on company performance.
Hiring based on race is racist!!!! I don't care if they all have the same credentials when you choose someone based on race, that's racist!!!!

BbMajor7th

Hiring based on race is racist!!!! I don't care if they all have the same credentials when you choose someone based on race, that's racist!!!!

Alas, these things are rarely so straightforward. If you're trying to redress historical social imbalance, you have to reckon with the cause. It might not be ideal or even really fair in some circumstances, but what you're looking for is a net improvement society-wide, which is what these measures aim to achieve. Its not perfect and I don't think even it's strongest proponents would argue that it was, but if you demand only perfect solutions to all of humanity's problems, you won't get very far at all.

Last edited:

Yes, I agree. But some people seem to think that this racist practice is "positive discrimination" and is ok because it's righting historical wrongs against said minority groups.

As a minority myself, I would find it insulting to find out I was hired based on my skin color and not because of my skill or experience. I would leave because I don't want to work with a company like that.

Alas, these things are rarely so straightforward. If you're trying to redress historical social imbalance, you have to reckon with the cause.

The issue is that this is categorically NOT the role of the private sector employer.

This should be actioned through governmental policy and programs to provide additional supplies (e.g. books and utilities) and teaching support in schools for kids from underprivileged backgrounds (not based on race), as well as financing support to afford greater access to higher education (e.g. full scholarships).

The jobs market should be purely meritocratic. Anything else creates a horribly un-level playing field that is fundamentally unfair for everyone.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

The issue is that this is categorically NOT the role of the private sector employer.

This should be actioned through governmental policy and programs to provide additional supplies (e.g. books and utilities) and teaching support in schools for kids from underprivileged backgrounds (not based on race), as well as financing support to afford greater access to higher education (e.g. full scholarships).

The jobs market should be purely meritocratic. Anything else creates a horribly un-level playing field that is fundamentally unfair for everyone.
We're getting dangerously into political territory here and I don't want to derail this thread, but I did kinda start this so, I'll shall briefly say: yes, I entirely agree that government should take primary leadership on this front and I think in most developed nations they do (correct me if I'm wrong), but with the private sector having such a huge influence in major economies, like all forms of regulation (be it social, environmental, anti-trust, etc.) some obligation must fall on private employers to meet these standards.

As I said above, I don't think it's a perfect solution, but while private business continues to have a larger controlling stake in our existence than the state, I feel its probably necessary. It's a much bigger topic and I would love to unpack it with someone who has differing opinions, but I don't want to infringe on GAF's policy on politics.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
Alas, these things are rarely so straightforward. If you're trying to redress historical social imbalance, you have to reckon with the cause. It might not be ideal or even really fair in some circumstances, but what you're looking for is a net improvement society-wide, which is what these measures aim to achieve. Its not perfect and I don't think even it's strongest proponents would argue that it was, but if you demand only perfect solutions to all of humanity's problems, you won't get very far at all.
Hiring someone based on their race is racist. It should be color blind, that's how Mart Luther King jr wanted it. It should be based on merit.

bxrz

Wasn't my point. FF7 was meant to be a timed exclusive for a year. Forspoken isn't coming until 2025. You being able to play FF16 in a year from the PS release is just hopes.
How is it hopes when the current deal is literally 12 months? That is a fact.

You keep bringing up and telling me about other games and I don't know why

As of right now, F16 is a exclusive for 6 months and a console exclusive for 12 months. If that changes, we can talk about it.

Raonak

Banned
Hiring someone based on their race is racist. It should be color blind, that's how Mart Luther King jr wanted it. It should be based on merit.
But if two people have the same credentials, does it not make sense to look for diversity as a bonus qualifier?

I know if I ran a business I'd probably want to make sure it isn't just an army of neckbeards or any other singular type of people.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
But if two people have the same credentials, does it not make sense to look for diversity as a bonus qualifier?

I know if I ran a business I'd probably want to make sure it isn't just an army of neckbeards or any other singular type of people.
If you choose to hire someone based upon their skin color, that's racist!!!!!

"I know if I ran a business I'd probably want to make sure it isn't just an army of neckbeards or any other singular type of people."

Well I guess you'd hate to live in Japan where everyone virtually looks the same, or in South Korea where everyone virtually looks the same. Do you realize there's zero racial diversity in Japan, South Korea, China, Singapore? For some reason people are so obsessed with racial diversity in the USA, I'll never understand it, to me it's just racism. RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE!!!!! What's their skin color, what's their ethnicity, are they non-white? Make sure they're non-white ok. We need as many people working for us who DON'T look white ok?

And yet there is zero racial diversity in a country like Japan. And you don't see anyone attacking Japan over it.

How is it hopes when the current deal is literally 12 months? That is a fact.

You keep bringing up and telling me about other games and I don't know why

As of right now, F16 is a exclusive for 6 months and a console exclusive for 12 months. If that changes, we can talk about it.

Because once again that's exactly what happened with FF7

Anyway this is besides the point about the 2023 lineup

The thin first-party catalogue doesn't seem to impact sales. It's the best-selling Xbox generation at the same point in it's life, and that's up against the crazy-popular Xbox 360 + chip shortage/ supply chain issues.

Raonak

Banned
If you choose to hire someone based upon their skin color, that's racist!!!!!

"I know if I ran a business I'd probably want to make sure it isn't just an army of neckbeards or any other singular type of people."

Well I guess you'd hate to live in Japan where everyone virtually looks the same, or in South Korea where everyone virtually looks the same. Do you realize there's zero racial diversity in Japan, South Korea, China, Singapore? For some reason people are so obsessed with racial diversity in the USA, I'll never understand it, to me it's just racism. RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE!!!!! What's their skin color, what's their ethnicity, are they non-white? Make sure they're non-white ok. We need as many people working for us who DON'T look white ok?

And yet there is zero racial diversity in a country like Japan. And you don't see anyone attacking Japan over it.
The reason why those counties don't care about racial diversity is because those countries literally don't have much diversity. Where countries like the US and UK literally have a diverse population. The last thing you want is having "white companies" and "black companies" and "indian companies" etc.

If you don't understand such a basic and sensible concept, then it's probably a good thing you're being declined for jobs.

Last edited:

iQuasarLV

r/selfawarewolf

So close but.. woosh.

svbarnard

Banned
The reason why those counties don't care about racial diversity is because those countries literally don't have much diversity. Where countries like the US and UK literally have a diverse population. The last thing you want is having "white companies" and "black companies" and "indian companies" etc.

If you don't understand such a basic and sensible concept, then it's probably a good thing you're being declined for jobs.
Japan could open the flood gates and let in millions of immigrants every year and soon enough Japan would be racially diverse like the USA is but they don't do that. Check it out, in 2018 Japan received 10,493 applications for asylum, yet they only accepted 42 of them, so in 2018 Japan only let in a total of 42 refugees, Japan doesn't like diversity it seems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Japan#Refugees_and_asylum_seekers

Raonak

Banned
Japan could open the flood gates and let in millions of immigrants every year and soon enough Japan would be racially diverse like the USA is but they don't do that. Check it out, in 2018 Japan received 10,493 applications for asylum, yet they only accepted 42 of them, so in 2018 Japan only let in a total of 42 refugees, Japan doesn't like diversity it seems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Japan#Refugees_and_asylum_seekers
They don't because they are very xenophobic, it's a pretty well known fact. But even they will have to change their ways sooner or later - because as it's currently going, their birth rates are so low and their population is so old they're walking towards an economic collapse. Once japan becomes a more diverse country, they too will look at diversity in the workplace, because the last thing they want is having "native companies" and "gaijin companies"

In any case, diversity isn't the reason why MS studios suck. Most of sony's studios are diverse too. It's just that MS themselves suck at managing their studios.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
They don't because they are very xenophobic, it's a pretty well known fact. But even they will have to change their ways sooner or later - because as it's currently going, their birth rates are so low and their population is so old they're walking towards an economic collapse. Once japan becomes a more diverse country, they too will look at diversity in the workplace, because the last thing they want is having "native companies" and "gaijin companies"

In any case, diversity isn't the reason why MS studios suck. Most of sony's studios are diverse too. It's just that MS themselves suck at managing their studios.
Microsoft studios don't suck. I mean my God Microsoft is going to own Activision. They own Bethesda now!!!! Microsoft has 23 game studios and this is without Activision. I mean how do you know Fable won't be a huge hit? How do you know Avowed won't be a huge hit? Out of the 23 studios we still don't know about all of the titles in development.

"Through investment and acquisitions, Xbox Game Studios is now an enviable force in the industry. There are more upcoming Xbox Series X games in development than ever before – something that is unlikely to change anytime soon, particularly with Microsoft Gaming on the precipice of purchasing Activision Blizzard.

While the $70 billion acquisition is yet to be finalised, there are still 23 of the industry's leading game developers creating new Xbox exclusive games – each of which will be available in Xbox Game Pass from its day of release." https://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-game-studios-microsoft/

Microsoft has fixed their first party lineup trust me. Avowed is apparently a first person RPG just like Elder Scrolls, how do you guys know this game won't become a huge hit? And these are just the games Microsoft has revealed so far keep in mind they have 23 studios now and not all of the games have been revealed.

svbarnard

Banned
I forgot to mention Hellblade 2 and the new Perfect Dark. And remember Microsoft owns the game studio behind Doom, so the next Doom will be Xbox exclusive it won't be on PlayStation. 😁

Banjo64

cumsessed
while there is some truth to the clickbait argument, the headline is just utter BS. MS did undeniably start to catch up, were publisher of the year, if Sony did not have contracted Deathloop and Ghostwire, MS would not only have been forced to publish those too, the situation for Sony would also already appear a bit different, plus Psychonauts 2 with a similar situation and afaik MS Flight Sim got DLC this year, probably a niche game but still and Sea of thieves seems to be a much greater hit than I expected, for years now, so some gaas seem to be up and running. If that isn't start to catch up, then I don't know. Sony has strong SP cinematic games, but MS seems to be actually further in the gaas future which Sony is also decidedly aiming at.
The first wave of MS catching up practically still worked in Sony's favor, but going forward Bethesda and all the smaller acquistions should hit the ground running. It's terrible to have this promies of games are coming, in the future, soon, really, this time for real, and not deliver for years, but it is inevitable, unless we expect all studios, that were making games before, collapsing for some MS are the bad guy mismanagement reason. And Activision might actually not entirely withdraw CoD, but it will be "free" for MS platforms and they also have several other games which are not entirely worthless. I mean as of now THPS or Skyrim and whatnot for PS Plus make still some people happy, at least it is adding value for me. The current gen equivalents won't continue to be on PS. Sony is growing too, to counter that, but acting like MS massive acquistion spree will not bear any fruits is a weirdly pessimistic or clickbaity opinion piece. For some reason MS struggle more than others, maybe too much promise of money without the whip... but eg Sony Santa Monica did also not get much done in the PS3 era, doing support studio work for several games, much like Sony Japan in my perception, before they resortet back to just making another GoW and while the new and reformed GoWs are massive hits, they are still stuck with one IP for the 4th generation now. Which is imho creatively not ideal and more usual for racing and sport games studios. This years output is a failure for MS, maybe Forza Prologue, or some other extended demo, should have been made, and that glaring hole can be critisized, but this headline conclusion is just fantasy.

drganon

while there is some truth to the clickbait argument, the headline is just utter BS. MS did undeniably start to catch up, were publisher of the year, if Sony did not have contracted Deathloop and Ghostwire, MS would not only have been forced to publish those too, the situation for Sony would also already appear a bit different, plus Psychonauts 2 with a similar situation and afaik MS Flight Sim got DLC this year, probably a niche game but still and Sea of thieves seems to be a much greater hit than I expected, for years now, so some gaas seem to be up and running. If that isn't start to catch up, then I don't know. Sony has strong SP cinematic games, but MS seems to be actually further in the gaas future which Sony is also decidedly aiming at.
The first wave of MS catching up practically still worked in Sony's favor, but going forward Bethesda and all the smaller acquistions should hit the ground running. It's terrible to have this promies of games are coming, in the future, soon, really, this time for real, and not deliver for years, but it is inevitable, unless we expect all studios, that were making games before, collapsing for some MS are the bad guy mismanagement reason. And Activision might actually not entirely withdraw CoD, but it will be "free" for MS platforms and they also have several other games which are not entirely worthless. I mean as of now THPS or Skyrim and whatnot for PS Plus make still some people happy, at least it is adding value for me. The current gen equivalents won't continue to be on PS. Sony is growing too, to counter that, but acting like MS massive acquistion spree will not bear any fruits is a weirdly pessimistic or clickbaity opinion piece. For some reason MS struggle more than others, maybe too much promise of money without the whip... but eg Sony Santa Monica did also not get much done in the PS3 era, doing support studio work for several games, much like Sony Japan in my perception, before they resortet back to just making another GoW and while the new and reformed GoWs are massive hits, they are still stuck with one IP for the 4th generation now. Which is imho creatively not ideal and more usual for racing and sport games studios. This years output is a failure for MS, maybe Forza Prologue, or some other extended demo, should have been made, and that glaring hole can be critisized, but this headline conclusion is just fantasy.
There's this new thing called paragraphs.

The thin first-party catalogue doesn't seem to impact sales. It's the best-selling Xbox generation at the same point in it's life, and that's up against the crazy-popular Xbox 360 + chip shortage/ supply chain issues.

Because outside of Nintendo consoles, exclusives are pretty overrated. At the end of the day most people still buy these consoles to play CoD, GTA, 2k, and Madden. The PS4 exclusives that saw insane, almost Nintendo like sales last gen were all bundled, which added a lot of copies to those totals.

Not to say they aren’t important at all. Good games are good games. But most gamers could not care less.

svbarnard

Banned
People: Microsoft has no first party titles.

Microsoft: Well we just bought Bethesda.

Microsoft: Well we just bought Activision Blizzard.

jm89

Microsoft: Well we just bought Bethesda.

Microsoft: Well we just bought Activision Blizzard.

You forgot to do the multiple studios before Bethesda. Remember those guys? I call them the AAAA crew, game so good we can never play them.

svbarnard

Banned
You forgot to do the multiple studios before Bethesda. Remember those guys? I call them the AAAA crew, game so good we can never play them.
Those games are still in development and I imagine we'll be seeing the fruits of their labors over the next few years so sit tight!

Top Bottom