• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes] PlayStation Is Still A Hit Machine While Xbox Hasn’t Even Started Catching Up

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I wonder why they couldn’t find a better person for his job.
satya thinks they're doing a good job already. it's clear, phil's been at the studios for 8 years. If they had any sense and realized how video games work they would have fired him and ran over to ed boon's doorstep

Last edited:
Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark, Hellblade II, State of Decay 3, Outer Worlds 2, Kojima's game, etc..

^ those are the games you listed. Not around the corner in the slightest. 2024 at best, 2025 and beyond at worst.

Its funny how i dont see those big graphics with all those games made anymore, i guess klobrille got tired of making them every year with slight date changes

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Easy to write that article given the recent reviews for Golf of War.
WGlAKZC.gif

People really need to speak up about this shit more

if you want xbox to have exclusives you cant just let the PS fans say it. We have to put them on blast and shine a flashlight on their embarassing exclusive output, get mainstream outlets like polygon to say it
its the only way they'll actually listen. they don't care about sales or revenue so we have to express our disappointment in the most loud way
I think PlayStation fans also need to realize Xbox fans don’t value the importance of exclusives as much as them. There’s more to a platform than just exclusives and while they are important to Xbox fans it’s not a 1:1 comparison for what each fan finds important.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I remember an interview with Phill Spencer in which he was asked what was the hardest thing about running Xbox studios (after some acquisitions)

He answered: Travel. He seemed quite surprised about traveling to the studios.

I was like....what? That should be the easiest thing about it.
lol this explains so much.

even if Hellblade 2 came out in 2023 that's clearly too much time they're taking to make this especially under microsoft's resources and wealth, there's clearly some development hell going on.
You could be right, but it could also be they have a far bigger scope for the game compared to the first one.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I think PlayStation fans also need to realize Xbox fans don’t value the importance of exclusives as much as them. There’s more to a platform than just exclusives and while they are important to Xbox fans it’s not a 1:1 comparison for what each fan finds important.
here's the thing, i 100% agree that there's far more to a platform than just exclusives
but that's like saying that as long as you have the bread, tomato sauce, and pepperoni you can make a tasty pizza. No. you can't. You still need the cheese
the thing with Xbox is that they're perfect in nearly every aspect, they have great online, amazing hardware, good services, everything is top tier.

BUT THEY CAN'T GET THE GAMES. That's the main thing here. If Xbox is investing so much into making their cloud services, gamepass, elite controllers, advertising etc all great they can surely spare some of that budget to help with the studios that are currently defining the brand. It's like having a 10/10 girlfriend who doesn't have a pussy. She's the hottest thing you laid your eyes on... and you can't fuck her. Or it's like having a plate full of seasoning, garnish and amazing silverware... but the food in itself is a McChicken... and it took the cook 4 hours to serve it.

Last edited:

Gudji

You're just singing that tune now because the xbox platforms has little to no must play exclusive games.

BbMajor7th

Or maybe it's because of the resources and wealth it's taking them longer because they greatly expanded and improved the game from where it originally was?

Some of you guys are thinking this only in one direction.
They were bought out 10 months after the first game shipped and talks will have been underway before then. The entire team will have been in pre-production at that stage, if not still working on patches / ports for the previous game. It's been more than four years since then and there's little to suggest the game will launch in the coming year. I'm not blaming NT, I don't doubt they're putting in the hard yards, but ultimately they're in a tough position. If MS have really scaled up the project they're gonna have to rebuild processes and pipelines to deliver something on a scale they've never tried before and have the final product compared to big hitters like GOWR. It's a lot of pressure for a small team.

Last edited:
Actually I contend that during the first half of the 360 generation they had caught up.

Completely lost it with Kinect and never recovered. AND THEY KNOW IT hence the acquisition spree.

Robbinhood

Banned
Kinect really killed the brand and they really haven't made amazing software since. Its been TWELVE YEARS.

I don't buy that Xbox fans don't care, as soon as a decent game or two comes out they start shitting on the competition. All I heard in 2021 was "Publisher of the year!". It wasn't even that good tbh.

The thing is there is only so many studios out there making games at the level of the God of wars and TLOU and Zeldas, Bethesda is pretty close when they deliver but a lot of the other studios are just filler. They should have acquired Rockstar (god forbid..). The only other available studio at that level is Square enix but I don't know if MS can buy them.

Robb

Gold Member
Sony has definitely gotten a fantastic flow on their releases and seem to have really good quality control internally.

Hopefully MS will strive to reach the same highs. If we can get 1-2 GOTY-level games like God of War Ragnarok and Forza Horizon 5 from both Sony and MS every single year that’d be amazing.

feynoob

Banned
What? You're right...context is definitely missing here:

The Last of Us (PS3) - June 2013
Left Behind (PS3) - February 2014
The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) - July 2014
Uncharted 4 (PS4) - May 2016
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4) - August 2017
The Last of Us Part 2 (PS4) - June 2020

Naughty Dog wasn't a developer with multiple teams working on multiple games full time like that back then. They had smaller support teams that would get some work done...but clearly most of each project would happen after the previous one was complete.

Doing what they did between both TLOU main games was no simple task, specially The Lost Legacy, a game that was almost as big as the first Uncharted game...and they did that in a year and half, almost the entire team was on it and they crunched like hell. By the time they were working full time on TLOU2 around 3 or 4 years had gone by since the first one released, 1 original game (which just happened to be the biggest and most ambitious Uncharted game ever), one DLC, one remaster and one smaller title (Lost Legacy). Let's also not forget that when they started TLOU2 they were already "distracted" working on Factions as well, which they then stopped to focus on the single player experience alone.

About Uncharted 4 being in development when TLOU released...the game was basically rebooted, the game director left, and a lot changed. The game suffered production delays because of this. It's a miracle it came out as soon as it did when you think about it.
Its easier to work on sequel compared to working on a new game.

Here is MS top 4 devs output.

343I
2011Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary[18]Xbox 360Collaboration with Saber Interactive, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary was re-released on Xbox One, Microsoft Windows and Xbox Series X/S on the Master Chief Collection
2012Halo 4[19]Halo 4 was re-released on Xbox One, Microsoft Windows and Xbox Series X/S on the Master Chief Collection
2013Halo: Spartan Assault[20]iOS, Microsoft Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox 360, Xbox OneCollaboration with Vanguard Games
2014Halo: The Master Chief Collection[21]Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, Xbox Series X/SIncludes Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST and Halo 4
2015Halo: Spartan Strike[22]iOS, Microsoft Windows, Windows PhoneCollaboration with Vanguard Games
2015Halo 5: Guardians[23]Xbox OneHalo 5: Forge was released on Microsoft Windows
2016Halo Wars: Definitive EditionMicrosoft Windows, Xbox OneCollaboration with Behaviour Interactive
2017Halo Wars 2Collaboration with Creative Assembly
Halo RecruitMicrosoft WindowsCollaboration with Endeavor One
2018Halo: Fireteam RavenArcade CabinetCollaboration with Play Mechanix and Endeavor One
2021Halo Infinite[24]Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/SCollaboration with SkyBox Labs, Sperasoft, The Coalition and Certain Affinity[25][26][27][28]

Playground
YearTitlePlatform(s)
2012Forza HorizonXbox 360
2014Forza Horizon 2Xbox 360, Xbox One
2016Forza Horizon 3Microsoft Windows, Xbox One
2018Forza Horizon 4Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S
2021Forza Horizon 5
TBAFableMicrosoft Windows, Xbox Series X/S

Turn10

Games developed[edit]​

The coalition

Games developed[edit]​

YearGamePlatform(s)
2011Relic RescueFacebook Platform
2012Microsoft FlightMicrosoft Windows
2015Gears of War: Ultimate EditionMicrosoft Windows, Xbox One
2016Gears of War 4
2019Gears 5Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S
2020Gears Tactics
2021The Matrix Awakens[13]PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S

What? You're right...context is definitely missing here:

The Last of Us (PS3) - June 2013
Left Behind (PS3) - February 2014
The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) - July 2014
Uncharted 4 (PS4) - May 2016
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4) - August 2017
The Last of Us Part 2 (PS4) - June 2020

Look at those games that collaborated with other studios on, or weren't new main entries, which you are leaving out of the discussion because it shatters your argument. But when MS does DLC or expansions it doesn't count? That was also with bigger teams than most of MS acquisitions, including parts of the Zenimax one, and all the ones before the Zenimax buyout. They also were preparing to develop for new hardware ahead of time, not brought out and suddenly given more resources and money so they can now suddenly go farther with their games on new hardware.

Empty heads can't make bread, but a lot of you think you can.

You're just singing that tune now because the xbox platforms has little to no must play exclusive games.
No because even when they had exclusives most of my most played games were third party. What I like most about their eco system is the controller, gamepass and rewards. The exclusives are important but the mindshare of exclusives are far less important than warriors think. My most played games this year are Elden Ring, OW2 and cult of lamb lol. I will play Xbox exclusives because they monopolized the WRPG market but the games I love the most weren’t being made by either platform holder but third parties.

dude they were acquired in june 2018. assuming they started right after hellblade 1 they still shouldn't be taking 4 years to make 1 game.

It's like you ignored the text you quoted so you don't have to take to account, the new consoles goal, and more resources and money to make Hellblade bigger and better looking than ever, as well as more complex.

er Half of you saying this would have trashed the game if it released quicker and looked like an upscaled Xbox One game.

Resources and wealth are excuses now.

Blake Shelton No GIF by The Voice

Interesting how ever major studios with the biggest teams, wealth, and resources are all the same ones with the largest gaps between releases. But we will pretend this isn't the case NOW because....Microsoft is involved?

You guys are fine to want more games, the issue is the stuff you're pulling from nothing about game development doesn't make any sense. You're acting like a bunch of brought studios that weren't focusing on new consoles weren't forced after the buyout to focus on new consoles, and who were going to release a gap with a 4th of the budget now going to make the game what they wanted to with new resources.

Any comparison omits this because it's the only way people can "dismiss" the facts about the changes in development after the buyouts.

Then you have several third-party studios with a lot of resources and wealth, making big games, and they are taking as long or longer to release games. Hellblade as an example, isn't just releasing a slightly better looking Hell Blade 2 after the buyout, they are clearly going for something higher with the new owner, who wants to show off their new box. You have two developers working with two other studios because one studio isn't enough to reach their goals, so why people are surprised that a 2018 or 2019 game isn't releasing until 2023 doesn't make sense to me.

Topher

Gold Member
Interesting how ever major studios with the biggest teams, wealth, and resources are all the same ones with the largest gaps between releases. But we will pretend this isn't the case NOW because....Microsoft is involved?

You guys are fine to want more games, the issue is the stuff you're pulling from nothing about game development doesn't make any sense. You're acting like a bunch of brought studios that weren't focusing on new consoles weren't forced after the buyout to focus on new consoles, and who were going to release a gap with a 4th of the budget now going to make the game what they wanted to with new resources.

Any comparison omits this because it's the only way people can "dismiss" the facts about the changes in development after the buyouts.

Then you have several third-party studios with a lot of resources and wealth, making big games, and they are taking as long or longer to release games. Hellblade as an example, isn't just releasing a slightly better looking Hell Blade 2 after the buyout, they are clearly going for something higher with the new owner, who wants to show off their new box. You have two developers working with two other studios because one studio isn't enough to reach their goals, so why people are surprised that a 2018 or 2019 game isn't releasing until 2023 doesn't make sense to me.

What "you guys" are you even referring to? I think more money and more resources is a bullshit entirely contrived excuse for anything. Has nothing to do with Microsoft so put away your warrior nonsense.

If you want to make the case for what Hellblade is taking longer than normal then fine, but Ninja Theory suffering due to too much money is just hilarious. I think what you really mean to say is that the scope of the project changed. That would at least make sense.

Last edited:

mxbison

I wouldn't say Playstation is a hit machine right now, what was the last big one before Ragnarok? Horizon FW was in february and a little underwhelming to many people.

But yeah, Microsoft really need to step their game up.

Dreamin

Buying 100 xboxes and becoming antisony because forbes are truly evil and get major handjobs from billionaires

What "you guys" are you even referring to? I think more money and more resources is a bullshit entirely contrived excuse for anything. Has nothing to do with Microsoft so put away your warrior nonsense.

While ignoring the reasons given as to why, which doesn't help you look any less than a warrior yourself. Address the post you disagree with and explain why. Ignoring the post and then misquoting what it says isn't a valid response.

Last edited:

Gudji

No because even when they had exclusives most of my most played games were third party. What I like most about their eco system is the controller, gamepass and rewards. The exclusives are important but the mindshare of exclusives are far less important than warriors think. My most played games this year are Elden Ring, OW2 and cult of lamb lol. I will play Xbox exclusives because they monopolized the WRPG market but the games I love the most weren’t being made by either platform holder but third parties.
That's everyone not just you or do you think playstation fans only play playstation games? People want something that makes their machines great and exclusives are some part of it, that's even truer if you don't own multiple consoles.

Lets put it this way, if GoWR was coming to xbox in five days xbox fans would be more happy than they are now (unless you don't really care about that sort of game).

Topher

Gold Member
While ignoring the reasons given as to why, which doesn't help you look any less than a warrior yourself. Address the post you disagree with and explain why.

I had edited my post while your were replaying: "If you want to make the case for what Hellblade is taking longer than normal then fine, but Ninja Theory suffering due to too much money is just hilarious. I think what you really mean to say is that the scope of the project changed. That would at least make sense."

Either way, you were the one pretending I was making this about Microsoft, not me.

I had edited my post while your were replaying: "If you want to make the case for what Hellblade is taking longer than normal then fine, but Ninja Theory suffering due to too much money is just hilarious. I think what you really mean to say is that the scope of the project changed. That would at least make sense."

Either way, you were the one pretending I was making this about Microsoft, not me.

I didn't pretend anything, you're making assumptions. That is why I called you a warrior, you keep jump first and ask later.

Also i never argues that too much money was why Ninja Theory was suffering, that wasn't even implied and is a pointless statement. Like I said respond to the post with what you disagree with.

Topher

Gold Member
I didn't pretend anything, you're making assumptions. That is why I called you a warrior, you keep jump first and ask later.

Also i never argues that too much money was why Ninja Theory was suffering, that wasn't even implied and is a pointless statement. Like I said respond to the post with what you disagree with.

John Candy Reaction GIF

I wouldn't say Playstation is a hit machine right now, what was the last big one before Ragnarok? Horizon FW was in february and a little underwhelming to many people.

Lol regardless of how you feel, playstation hasn’t put out a big game that has scored under an 85 in a long time. They are one of the most consistent big publishers in the business, not even nintendo games score that high consistently

In fact Nintendos two highest rated games this year scored in line with Horizon Forbidden West. Unless the standards for playstation games are so high now that they have to score over 90 on metacritic to be considered “hits” which says what for the rest of the gaming industry?

lKoQdtp.jpg

Last edited:

PlayStations next hit will probably be Spider-man. Good chance that Wolverine will be one as well since its made by the same devs.

so how the fuck did the first one manage to outsell the gamecube? how the fuck did the 360 sell 80+ million? did microsoft brainwash millions of people to invest into their green box instead of a Playstation?
GameCube offered a horrible value. Didn't they stick with proprietary discs over traditional DVDs? That meant 3rd parties had to struggle to get games to fit just like in the N64 days. Xbox didn't rely on first party it was all the third party titles coming in that truly helped them beat Nintendo that generation and even then it was BARELY.

X360 had a year head start with no competition and it STILL was outsold by PlayStation in the end. Don't you know your history? It was also carried by lots of fantastic 3rd party bangers that didn't hit PlayStation for years or missed PS3 entirely. It wasn't their first party that helped them. In the end they still lost to Nintendo and Sony. This was their BEST effort too.
Look man if you truly liked Xbox you'd be critical of it. You can still like Xbox even if they've got little first party, no one's blaming you. But just fucking admit it dude. PLEASE
So you are saying all these PlayStation fans 'concerned' about the Xbox is because they love it so much and they want them to do better? I doubt it.

I like the Xbox because it offers me a superior value for my money. They didn't raise prices on the games or hardware. They offered quick and easy ways to upgrade my games with no fees. They allowed me to play games I bought years ago on the current box with better visuals and performance. They have offered customers a way to play new games without needing to buy new hardware at all. If you did want new hardware there are very affordable ways to play those games as well. They are acquiring new studios to supply Game pass with games I want to play in addition to the 3rd party deals they make as well.

Would I like all their first party titles out right now for me to play? Sure but there is plenty to play right now and as long as they are providing me with superior value I'm willing to wait for the first party games to come over them rushing out a less than quality product. People keep talking about 'wait till next year' as a meme but just last year they delivered quite a bit and I'm pretty sure more games are coming. Xbox has never relied on first party to be successful like Nintendo and Sony do.

My question to you is why do you care? If you think MS has failed them ignore them and move on. Why would people so happy with their console choice complain about what is happening on a system they don't even own? You worried about Xbox customers?

The people on this forum predicted the Switch would fail. They predicted no one would buy the XSS. They proclaimed Game pass would bleed MS dry and would be a failure. People call Phil a liar when he has good Xbox news and a truth teller if the news is perceived to be negative. Look at this article by Paul. He was a shill when it was a negative PlayStation story but now he is an honest broker?

This is hardly the place for fair and impartial analysis. If you prefer PlayStation's business model and like their games no one is stopping you from enjoying that platform. People complain that Sony doesn't need to do the things MS does and I'll say vice versa is also true. Each company can find their own way to success. I'm going to play GoW (even Phil!) just like many people but I'll also be enjoying the many, many titles on Game pass and I wouldn't have it any other way.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
My question to you is why do you care?
i care because i want to play the games MS offers. I want a great modern halo game. i want another ID title after doom 2016 and eternal. I want another psychonauts. in a good world MS would give us these and a whole lot more and no one would be complaining. but here we are.

I literally own a series S. I'm not some PS fanboy looking in from the outside, i've known xbox since the day i got my 360 in december of 2012.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don’t think any of you would be remotely interested in that game if it wasn’t an exclusive.
Absurd. Citizen Sleeper is in my short list for GOTY this year. I am CRAVING unusual games that aren't like everything else. Weird assertion. The guys making this game are solid. I own 3 Voice of Cards games also.

Last edited:

gladdys

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...snt-even-started-catching-up/?sh=4a80ae4a68b9

Good to finally see Western media speaking up about the lack of great games on Microsoft's end.
There has been a shortage, it has been recognised and they have a plan. There are great first and third party games on Xbox though and I only have so many hours in the day. I do wonder though. If Xbox is so rubbish now, how could purchasing activision make them a monopoly? We all recognise they need to catch up.

solidus12

There has been a shortage, it has been recognised and they have a plan. There are great first and third party games on Xbox though and I only have so many hours in the day. I do wonder though. If Xbox is so rubbish now, how could purchasing activision make them a monopoly? We all recognise they need to catch up.
Buying established third party games and studios and making them exclusive is a monopoly.

Last edited:

jm89

Talk to me about how Sony got into the market in the first place. They purchased a lot of game developers and got third party exclusivity on a variety of titles.
I'm pretty sure when people talk about that they are referring to activision sized purchases. Alot harder to buy smaller devs and grow them.

Top Bottom