• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes] PlayStation Is Still A Hit Machine While Xbox Hasn’t Even Started Catching Up

GHG

That Game Pass effect
Rimshot Drum Joke GIF

The others were just Sony prepping some titles for the relaunch of PS+.

Now that's out the way I'm glad to see normal service has resumed.

0neAnd0nly

Talk to me about how Sony got into the market in the first place. They purchased a lot of game developers and got third party exclusivity on a variety of titles.
You talking about back when Civics cost $2,000 new?

Yeah. Sort of have to make initial purchases.

I’m speaking of continued, modern success. Sony has a way of organically letting their studios in 1st and 2nd party blossom, and then becoming their own master of craft.

Xbox lost their most MAJOR developer from their roots on Xbox, Bungie. Which speaks volumes.

Both do make purchases sure, I am not arguing that. If you can’t see Sony’s branching ecosystem as being far more dense for far longer for a reason, than I don’t know what else I can tell you.

Stooky

I think PlayStation fans also need to realize Xbox fans don’t value the importance of exclusives as much as them. There’s more to a platform than just exclusives and while they are important to Xbox fans it’s not a 1:1 comparison for what each fan finds important.
Mmm goal post moves. Xbox fans werent saying that when they had exclusives.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So you are saying all these PlayStation fans 'concerned' about the Xbox is because they love it so much and they want them to do better?
you think it's a joke but it's legitimate. a majority of people on this board who claim to be PS fanboys in reality played 360 for the majority of 7th gen. They know what owning an xbox is like and they know how amazing it was at its peak. thats why they're so disappointed when they look at what it is now
I’m speaking of continued, modern success. Sony has a way of organically letting their studios in 1st and 2nd party blossom, and then becoming their own master of craft.
Sony's on a seafood diet. They see talent, they eat it.
microsoft is also on a seafood diet. They see IP, they eat it
talent is forever. IP becomes irrelevant when the new big thing comes

mxbison

Lol regardless of how you feel, playstation hasn’t put out a big game that has scored under an 85 in a long time. They are one of the most consistent big publishers in the business, not even nintendo games score that high consistently

In fact Nintendos two highest rated games this year scored in line with Horizon Forbidden West. Unless the standards for playstation games are so high now that they have to score over 90 on metacritic to be considered “hits” which says what for the rest of the gaming industry?

lKoQdtp.jpg

I agree that Playstation easily has the best lineup so far this gen (and had it last gen), I just still don't think it's that good right now compared to the past. The competition being weaker has nothing to do with that.

I have a PS5, XSX, and Switch. I want them all to do better.

Yoboman

The whole "MS has no games" talk died last year when they had 3 GOTY quality games. This year was dry for them and Sony hit it out of the park as a publisher, but given the schedule of Xbox games we don't need to compare them on a "X has no games, X is better" due to the fact they're both operating in their own way atm. Also it discredits smaller published games. Gaming media is very bias towards AAA games only. Pentiment is due in a week, grounded got a full release. Not to compare it directly to games like GOW, but if you don't release a massive AAA game it's almost as if it doesn't count. Terrible mentality for the indie space which leads the industry in innovation.
What were the 3 games out of interest?

gladdys

I'm pretty sure when people talk about that they are referring to activision sized purchases. Alot harder to buy smaller devs and grow them.
So the term organic depends on the size of the purchase then. This is a very subjective way to look at it.

gladdys

You talking about back when Civics cost $2,000 new?

Yeah. Sort of have to make initial purchases.

Xbox lost their most MAJOR developer from their roots on Xbox, Bungie. Which speaks volumes.

Both do make purchases sure, I am not arguing that. If you can’t see Sony’s branching ecosystem as being far more dense for far longer for a reason, than I don’t know what else I can tell you.
If you use that logic, Microsoft getting into the industry and making a continued success of Xbox could be considered organic growth too.

i care because i want to play the games MS offers. I want a great modern halo game. i want another ID title after doom 2016 and eternal. I want another psychonauts. in a good world MS would give us these and a whole lot more and no one would be complaining. but here we are.

I literally own a series S. I'm not some PS fanboy looking in from the outside, i've known xbox since the day i got my 360 in december of 2012.
Well games take time to develop and there is no indication MS won't release more games. Like it or not Covid-19 caused some significant delays and the war in Ukraine certainly didn't help either. I'd rather MS take their time and get it right over rushing out a poor product. 2023 is a month away. I'm willing to see what they come up with.

There has been a shortage, it has been recognised and they have a plan. There are great first and third party games on Xbox though and I only have so many hours in the day. I do wonder though. If Xbox is so rubbish now, how could purchasing activision make them a monopoly? We all recognise they need to catch up.
We have some with a twisted logic that has some believing MS is both a failure and a monopoly at the same time. Lying-truth telling Phil in another. Profitable-unsustainable Game pass is a third. I'm pretty excited to what they can do with Activision both in terms of cleaning up the company's culture and getting them to make more than CoD.

Buying established third party games and studios and making them exclusive is a monopoly.
It absolutely is not. Sony has secured many 3rd party games and made them exclusive. PlayStation is not a monopoly.

you think it's a joke but it's legitimate. a majority of people on this board who claim to be PS fanboys in reality played 360 for the majority of 7th gen. They know what owning an xbox is like and they know how amazing it was at its peak. thats why they're so disappointed when they look at what it is now
I strongly disagree. The multiple disingenuous takes shows it is more about console trash talk than a legitimate concern for the Xbox brand and their customers. I get the trash talk but there is nothing wrong with calling it what it is. People have their team and they are cheering for it in whatever weird way they want.

Easy to write that article given the recent reviews for Golf of War.

It's true for sure but that's been the case since the Xbox's entry into the console space.

I kind of disagree on that note. Now, yes, they technically bought Halo by buying Bungie, but Halo was a cultural phenomenon and absolutely built a big identity for itself and the Xbox brand.

Then 343i happened.

But going back, OG Xbox actually had a good amount of quality games. Halo 1 & 2, Ninja Gaiden (which many considered the best ninja game that gen, and was exclusive to Xbox), Panzer Dragoon Orta, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Chronicles of Riddick, KOTOR 1 & 2, Jade Empire, etc. It's just that the PS2 had answers for all of those games and more of them from sheer volume advantage of software library.

All of that peaked around 2008 or 2009. About right before Kinect came out and took over.

It's generally been very downhill since WRT system exclusives, let alone 1P ones. The XBO launch was a nice bump but otherwise it's been a pretty steep decline outside of the occasional Forza, Ori, or Flight Simulator (and none of these are necessarily big games capturing the gaming cultural zeitgeist. TitanFall could have been one such game but was bottlenecked by the XBO brand by that point).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's just that the PS2 had answers for all of those games and more of them from sheer volume advantage of software library.
answers to all of those games? idk i don't think the PS2 can replace something like jet set radio future or KOTOR
but more importantly, this proves my point. the Xbox got by because of its exclusive library whether first party or third. Same for the 360. The idea that xbox never had exclusives to begin with and just sold because of third party games is stupid, because the thing about third party games that makes them third party is the fact they can be played anywhere. Why would anyone have bought an Xbox if it played the exact same games the PS2 did, but came out later and with a worse controller?
Why would anyone have bought a 360 over a PS3 if it played literally the exact same games the PS3 did?
the exclusives are the main reason Xbox is still alive today. thats why xbox always needed them.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
He mentioned Forza, the other two are solid games but not quite in that GOTY caliber the article is referring to

????

All 3 were within the top 10 most GoTY award scoring games last year.

• Forza Horizon 5 - 53
  • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 19

• Halo Infinite - 26
  • Media Outlets: 20 | Readers' Choice: 6

• Psychonauts 2 - 17
  • Media Outlets: 17 | Readers' Choice: 0

Yoboman

????

All 3 were within the top 10 most GoTY award scoring games last year.

• Forza Horizon 5 - 53
  • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 19

• Halo Infinite - 26
  • Media Outlets: 20 | Readers' Choice: 6

• Psychonauts 2 - 17
  • Media Outlets: 17 | Readers' Choice: 0

[/URL]
Doesn't mean much. Top 3 is a great result for Forza. I wouldn't consider the rest of the top 10 as serious GOTY caliber games either, no more than I would say Ratchet, Metroid Dread, Guardians of the Galaxy etc are

Also wasn't the strongest year ever. Forza Horizon was the only game in the top 10 to crack 90 on MC

I think there is a big difference in caliber for a game to get high 80s vs the games pushing into 91+ territory

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Doesn't mean much. Top 3 is a great result for Forza. I wouldn't consider the rest of the top 10 as serious GOTY caliber games either, no more than I would say Ratchet, Metroid Dread, Guardians of the Galaxy etc are

Also wasn't the strongest year ever. Forza Horizon was the only game in the top 10 to crack 90 on MC

I think there is a big difference in caliber for a game to get high 80s vs the games pushing into 91+ territory

Holy shit, mental gymnastics on display here.

american-psycho-patrick-bateman.gif

Some people take for granted sony's quality.

Making games is hard.
Making quality games is even harder.
Making AAA GOTY/New IPs is a fucking miracle.

In recent years it seems like:

1. Publishers can get away and even encourage to release broken, incomplete or just unpolished games.

2. Single player AAA games have become a rarity. And some, unable to escape modern "monetization practices".

Is tough man. But this is like Flagship Smartphones, TVs or GPU's; is a statement; it create a " Halo" effect (Not that halo).

Its funny to me how Metacritic means so much to so many. We are a generation of consumers that spends more time talking about games and watching videos about games, than playing games, it would seem.
Is the only metric that counts when trying to debate the quality of a game. It represents the consensus.

Otherwise, you will have only opinions. And opinions are subjective and personal.

Yoboman

Holy shit, mental gymnastics on display here.

american-psycho-patrick-bateman.gif
There are 50 games that won at least won GOTY award last year, if that's what you consider GOTY caliber then you are missing the point entirely.

Or are we just going to pretend that games winning a couple from random outlets and a handful more nominations are operating on the same level as the ones winning 200+ awards and deply entrenched in the 90s on MC

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
There are 50 games that won at least won GOTY award last year, if that's what you consider GOTY caliber then you are missing the point entirely.

Or are we just going to pretend that games winning a couple from random outlets and a handful more nominations are operating on the same level as the ones winning 200+ awards and deply entrenched in the 90s on MC

We have an actual game of the year awards show. You know, the same show where Psychonauts 2 was nominated for game of the year and Halo Infinite won player’s choice game of the year (also won the poll here on GAF).

Bo no, definitely not GOTY 2021 material because you said so.

Zok310

Banned
But they own all these pubs and devs, what more do you want?
Just wait.....

Last edited:

Yoboman

We have an actual game of the year awards show. You know, the same show where Psychonauts 2 was nominated for game of the year and Halo Infinite won player’s choice game of the year (also won the poll here on GAF).

Bo no, definitely not GOTY 2021 material because you said so.
Playing daft isn't helping. But keep on thinking they are hitting the same marks as GOW, Elden Ring, BOTW etc if that helps you

Hestar69

yeah this has been a bad year for MS besides game pass. I rather them delay and WAIT until teh games are good so we don't get another halo infinite (which I enjoyed alot best halo since 3 IMO SP wise)...But even after a year delay the MP was TRASHHHHH...

I think MS is due for a huge year this year like sony is having one in 2022.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I think PlayStation fans also need to realize Xbox fans don’t value the importance of exclusives as much as them. There’s more to a platform than just exclusives and while they are important to Xbox fans it’s not a 1:1 comparison for what each fan finds important.
Xbox fans valued exclusives when last gen started then changed the narrative when the exclusives dried up. NOW they do value exclusives with all of the recent MS acquisitions.

0neAnd0nly

If you use that logic, Microsoft getting into the industry and making a continued success of Xbox could be considered organic growth too.

I think you are blurring the lines of what I am intending.

Microsoft has made XBOX a powerhouse. Nobody who isn’t genuinely an idiot would say opposite of that. Breaking into the game console market IS NOT EASY, we know that and we have seen many fall and fail before and since.

BUT, this article is purely about PS still being a hit machine. The reason why, no matter how many “metacritic awards” Xbox claims - is because Sony has done a great job (mainly under former presidents, less so newer ones) of establishing strong organic growth from teams for ~3 decades. Sometimes IMO Sony is TOO slow (see: Bluepoint), but the loyalty and presence to do what they love has proven to churn out high quality many, many times.

Xbox is contrast is on a kill mission to just buy every major 3rd party studio or publisher with no real attachment, just to pretty much say “ha, OWNED” but without a really clear growth plan and talent that all of a sudden hs to focus on ONE console they may or may not prefer to work with. It, so far, hasn’t paid off.

Organic will always win IMO. Can’t just buy everything and expect the same instant turnaround.

Just IMO of course.

Last edited:
Is the only metric that counts when trying to debate the quality of a game. It represents the consensus.

Otherwise, you will have only opinions. And opinions are subjective and personal.
What discussion is there? Did you like the game or didn’t you like the game. That’s all that matters.

Top Bottom