• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes] PlayStation Is Still A Hit Machine While Xbox Hasn’t Even Started Catching Up

Ev1L AuRoN

“just wait until next year” could be their slogan.

MS started this acquisition spree in 2017 or 2018. How many of those studios from back then have been releasing stuff?

In 2018 Insomniac released Spider-Man and was acquired. Then released 3 DLCs, last one releasing in 2019.
In 2020 released Miles Morales and a PS5 remaster of the 2018 title.
In 2021 Ratchet is released.
Spider-Man 2 has a 2023 release date and Wolverine around 2024.

This is a single studio sony acquired in 2018.

Clearly MS has the money but the problems they had, they still can’t solve them.

Not sure if it’s lack of support studios or whatever but the fact they released their last huge AAA title a year ago…a live service game that’s dying as we speak and people will have to wait 6 more months at least for their next game…something doesn’t add up. As we speak and without Activision Xbox has mire studios than Sony…were all if them on a vacation before their acquisitions?
Using Insomniac to compare was cruel. This company is insanely prolific even compared to other PS studios, Naughty Dog needs at least 4-5 years to release a big hit, the same goes for Santa Monica and Guerilla. The thing is, Sony has Studios with such pedigree that you can pretty much count them to be great.

Methos#1975

I think Xbox has a stronger lineup than Sony and Nintendo next year and it has nothing to do with what you're saying here.
The Switch has Zelda, that alone will propel then pass Xbox regardless of what it brings to bear and Spiderman 2 and FF16 will no doubt be better than the majority of whatever exclusives Xbox has. It's one possible savior is Starfield and that's really it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sony hasn't cultivated studios that they just bought within the last 2 years?
Have they cultivated Nixxes, Bungie and Haven?

LOL... you're a huge fanboy...
Calm down lad, just trying to have a discussion with you.

Astroboy wasn't at all the game it is now. It was a VR game that no one played. Ori? Is that Microsoft?
Microsoft funded the development of Ori yes, just like Sony worked hand in hand with Insomniac before they acquired them.

Using Insomniac to compare was cruel. This company is insanely prolific even compared to other PS studios, Naughty Dog needs at least 4-5 years to release a big hit, the same goes for Santa Monica and Guerilla. The thing is, Sony has Studios with such pedigree that you can pretty much count them to be great.
Naughty Dog:
2013 - The Last Of Us (PS3)
2014 - The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS3)
2014 - The Last of Us: Remastered (PS4)
2016 - Uncharted 4 (PS4) (less than 3 years after TLOU on PS3, less than 2 years after its DLC and remaster)
2017 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (a game that's almost the same size as the first Uncharted game was developed ina year and half, with lots of crunch from the studio)
2020 - The Last of Us Part 2 (3 years after The Lost Legacy and while they were developing Factions as well, which was put on hold)

I fail to see that half a decade of wait between big releases from Naughty Dog. The fact they managed to go from The Lost Legacy to TLOU2 in 3 years is amazing.

Sony Santa Monica had covid right when they were starting mocap, had the mocap delayed for a year before that due to the main actor getting surgery (confirmed by the man himself on twitter) and they basically did 2 games in one since this was supposed to be a trilogy. The game IS bigger than its predecessor and it still didn't reach 5 years in full development. This was an exception, not the rule.

Guerilla has been doing:
2013 - Killzone Shadowfall
2017 - Horizon
Late 2017 - Frozen Wilds
2022 - Horizon: Forbidden West
2023 - Horizon: Call of the Mountain (co-developed with Firesprite)

Might be the only one that fits your post tbh. And even then we got a DLC for the first Horizon. They are currently doing a DLC for the 2nd entry and Call of the Mountain for VR2 with Firesprite.

Counting only "the big entries" when there's so much going on isn't fair to these studios.

Naughty Dog:
2016 - Uncharted 4 (PS4) (less than 3 years after TLOU on PS3, less than 2 years after its DLC and remaster)
2017 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (a game that's almost the same size as the first Uncharted game was developed ina year and half, with lots of crunch from the studio)
2020 - The Last of Us Part 2 (3 years after The Lost Legacy and while they were developing Factions as well, which was put on hold)

I fail to see that half a decade of wait between big releases from Naughty Dog. The fact they managed to go from The Lost Legacy to TLOU2 in 3 years is amazing.

Sony Santa Monica had covid right when they were starting mocap, had the mocap delayed for a year before that due to the main actor getting surgery (confirmed by the man himself on twitter) and they basically did 2 games in one since this was supposed to be a trilogy. The game IS bigger than its predecessor and it still didn't reach 5 years in full development. This was an exception, not the rule.

Guerilla has been doing:
2013 - Killzone Shadowfall
2017 - Horizon
Late 2017 - Frozen Wilds
2022 - Horizon: Forbidden West
2023 - Horizon: Call of the Mountain (co-developed with Firesprite)

Might be the only one that fits your post tbh. And even then we got a DLC for the first Horizon. They are currently doing a DLC for the 2nd entry and Call of the Mountain for VR2 with Firesprite.

Counting only "the big entries" when there's so much going on isn't fair to these studios.

They didn’t say you have to wait 4-5 years between ND games, they said it takes them 4-5 years to release their “big games”. Which is accurate. LoU took 4. Uncharted 4 took 5. LoU2 took 6 (with over 2000 people working on it).

If studios like Double Fine and Compulsion and inXile were capable of having multiple teams working on big AAA games simultaneously, they probably wouldn’t have been looking for acquisition.

It’s fine for a giant studio like Naughty Dog to work on Last of Us 2 for six years with over 2,000 people working on it at various stages but a tiny studio like Double Fine should be pumping out games already (never mind that they just released Psychonauts last year). Or Compulsion, who released We Happy Few in 2018 after being acquired, why hasn’t that small studio pumped out a AAAA game yet? I don’t get the double standards with regard to MS studios 😆

bxrz

The Switch has Zelda, that alone will propel then pass Xbox regardless of what it brings to bear and Spiderman 2 and FF16 will no doubt be better than the majority of whatever exclusives Xbox has. It's one possible savior is Starfield and that's really it.
Switch needs more than Zelda and Sony needs more than Spiderman 2. FF16 isn't Sony. Its Square Enix

Zelda will definitely be the best game of next year but one game doesn't make a lineup

Last edited:

bxrz

Honestly, you could say the same about Starfield: both companies secured exclusivity in slightly different ways. MS paid more and got a much longer window, but there's very little else to compare.
?

Starfield is 1st party. FF16 is not.

BbMajor7th

?

Starfield is 1st party. FF16 is not.
My point is that the distinction is largely academic. If Sony suddenly announced they were buying SE, for example, it would make the Final Fantasy a first party IP, but in a material sense, all they would have done is extend the exclusivity window.

Last edited:

Woopah

Of course it’s first party, MS owns the developer. And inXile has been on record talking about how the MS acquisition allowed them to take more time with the game and add more content and also voice over for the entire game.

It’s a turn based strategy game so it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but the game is goddamn amazing.
A first party game has to be published by a first party, Wasteland 3 was published by a third party publisher
Who owns the IP? I'm pretty sure MS does unless you have other information.
Nintendo owns the Mario IP, doesn't mean that Mario Vs. Rabbids is a first party game
[/URL]

"Wasteland 3 dev touts 'quality increase by leaps and bounds' post-Microsoft acquisition"

Same thing happened with Psychonauts 2.

None of that, make it exclusive to our console, then only we will invest in it. All systems benefited from this.
I'm sure Microsoft funding helped, but its still a third party game.

Pelta88

Um yes it does. Starfield will never be on Playstation. FF16 will eventually be on Xbox

The weight of expectation that is placed on this one IP might make it buckle. The initial gameplay showing did not give me confidence, In fact I thought it was quite bland. Obviously there's room for improvement but I don't think some posters will survive if this game falls short.

bxrz

Doesn't matter for 2023s lineup though, which is the point.

Forspoken isn't coming to Xbox until 2025 at the earliest. It aint going to be a year lol
Yea but Forspoken wasn’t what was mentioned. Spiderman 2 and FF16 were.

The weight of expectation that is placed on this one IP might make it buckle. The initial gameplay showing did not give me confidence, In fact I thought it was quite bland. Obviously there's room for improvement but I don't think some posters will survive if this game falls short.
Thats fine, not everyone will like every game

Todd Howard has never made a bad game. I have more faith in what he delivers than SE with Final Fantasy

Last edited:
I was thinking of creating a thread pitting the XB1 vs Series first two years of exclusives against each other. Then I took a closer look at the games and realized the Series would get demolished.

I've no doubt they will have awesome exclusives eventually, but we're certainly not there yet.

yurinka

Naughty Dog:
Not brand new games and codeveloped, but also required work from them:
2022 - The Last of Us Part 1 (PS5 remake)
2022 - Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves (PS5 remasters in January, PC ports in October)

Why haven’t we seen anything concrete from Everwild or Perfect Dark?
Because they are several years away from being released. I think they won't have a particularly long development time (maybe around 6 years?) compared to big AAA games, particularly new IPs and specially considering they debut on a new gen and that there was covid in the middle.

I don't think these or other games from MS are having a particularly troubled development (more than it usually is, to make games is very hard, and even more the huge ones). I think that they simply shown a CG concept teaser to announce them and some people thought they were going to be released a couple years later, when in reality I think back then they were in preproduction, I think they weren't even in full production. But MS didn't have anything else to hype the fans for the short term, so played the very long term card (without promising release dates). Same goes with other ones like Indiana Jones, Fable or Hellblade 2.

Last edited:

Woopah

It’s ok, you’re allowed to be wrong.
Of course, everyone is allowed to be wrong. But everything I put in that post was 100% factual:

Was the game developed by a Xbox Studios developer - Yes, InXile is owned by Microsoft
Was the game third party published - Yes, Deep Silver is not owned by Microsoft

Topher

Gold Member
Of course, everyone is allowed to be wrong. But everything I put in that post was 100% factual:

Was the game developed by a Xbox Studios developer - Yes, InXile is owned by Microsoft
Was the game third party published - Yes, Deep Silver is not owned by Microsoft

That's a unique situation though. I don't know that there has been a game that is wholly owned by one publisher and yet published by a different publisher. Trying to put a strict "first party" or "third party" label on it doesn't make a lot of sense to me but ultimately the game belongs to Microsoft.

Have they cultivated Nixxes, Bungie and Haven?

Calm down lad, just trying to have a discussion with you.

Microsoft funded the development of Ori yes, just like Sony worked hand in hand with Insomniac before they acquired them.

What cultivation do you think happens in 2 years or less?

Doesn't sound like it.

Funding development isn't the same as cultivating a studio...

Gambit2483

Playstation will always be a hit because the gaming market is 70% casual players against 30% hardcore players, that doesn't mean their games are GOTY or the best shit in the market right now.
uInQ6yi.gif

I'm an xbox player, and while the future is going to be massive, Microsoft deserve to cop all the negative press for failing to get the games out onto the console. The performance of 343 was unacceptable and they are finally taking action. They allowed them to go fully woke and hire based on what minority you identified as rather than talent and hard work. This is the result.
When they took over Zenimax they should not have honoured the contracts with Sony. They should also not have honoured the PS4 releases of both Psychonauts, The Outer Worlds and Wasteland.

Moving forward due to the hostile actions of Sony trying to stop the Aquisition of Activision, Microsoft should not release any further Minecraft games on PlayStation. If they were worried about what losing COD would do to the PS sales, just wait to see what losing Minecraft would do.

Sony hasn't cultivated studios that they just bought within the last 2 years? LOL... you're a huge fanboy... Astroboy wasn't at all the game it is now. It was a VR game that no one played. Ori? Is that Microsoft?

Some of us have been here since the start... Saying Nintendo and Sega weren't serious competition... Microsoft has never produced console sales as high as the Wii and Gamecube sold about as well as Xbox at the time. Nintendo just couldn't keep up with the costs.

Just fine, 20 years later without any new major franchises... They've had a lack of studios for 20 years? And you don't think that's spinning their wheels? Sony has purchased small studios and built out studios in this time frame... literally in the last 5 years alone.
Nintendo and Sega were not serious competition to Sony. Sony similar to Microsoft had money coming from non-gaming sources which afforded them competitive advantages Nintendo and Sega didn't have. The selection of DVD and Blu-ray media were huge in their success and benefitted Sony in multiple ways. I don't know what the point of you bringing up the Wii was but my point was MS beat Nintendo with their first console. That is a fact.

PlayStation brand is bigger than Xbox no doubt and always has been since the beginning. Regardless Sony's success hasn't pushed Xbox out of the industry and I'm glad about that. God of War is a good game and it's success also has no impact on Xbox either.

None of this changes the fact that Xbox doesn't rely on first party software for success but if you think in 20 years Xbox has had no major franchises it again shows your ignorance of the platform in general. No wonder you'd bring up Bungie and Epic. Better off just not worrying about it and focusing on your preferred device. Again Xbox will be just fine.

RCU005

Just wait until next E3, they just won Publisher of the Year, Microsoft Flight Sim in the only true next gen game so far... etc.

Everyone has always thought of Microsoft Flight Simulator as a tool for aviation, or rather, almost no one has thought of it as a game. It's after this incredibly low output of Xbox games that some people are trying to cling on even flight sim to call it a game.

Last edited:

Melchiah

It's the "Have you seen Titanfall?" Hail Mary all over again. Even if it succeeds, it's unlikely to tip the scales.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Insomniac is insanely productive, but other studios are no slouches either.

SSM and GG always had only one team, while Insomniac always had at least 2 teams (2 separate studios), so they were always gonna produce more games. Naughty Dog, despite only flirting with the idea of multiple teams and quickly abandoning it, managed to release 4 games in around 7 years.

Top Bottom