• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes] Sony Should Be Putting All PlayStation Exclusives On PC, Day One

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an advantage of games being exclusive to one platform. It only seems like actual fanboys have issues with exclusives. People make it seem like the only reason exclusives exist is to create fan wars. That is nonsensical. It pushes devs to make the system sellers. They have access to a whole bunch of tools and work with talent familiar with the platform. They don't have to optimize their game for multiple platforms. Time and time again, a lot of the best games I've played have been exclusives. And no, I'm not a fanboy. I don't even have a PlayStation anymore; I have a PC and Switch.
Let's just say for instance, all games as of right now we're available, to every single platform. Do you think the sales of Halo, God of War, or Zelda, would suddenly decrease overnight, now that anyone can download any of these games, on any of their plastic boxes? The only one who could be a fanboy with putting games on multiple platforms, are the ones who don't want it happening. They would rather act like a cult, and forbid those from playing their games, who don't represent their platform of choice.

Topher

Gold Member
I've heard this statement so many times when it comes to Sony's games but Nintendo and hell alot of PC games that have yet to console noone seems to be pushing those devs or companies to put them on all platforms.

Just about every single big third party AAA game on PC is already on consoles. PC exclusives tend to be small games that no one on console has every heard of. Nintendo seems fair stout in wanting to keep their games on their hardware. The calls for more games from Sony on PC really didn't start until after Sony made it clear they were going to do more in the PC space. If Nintendo followed that same route (which I doubt) then PC folk would be more vocal about it.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Paul Tassi article - the dude who still plays Destiny 2 on a daily basis.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Guilty_AI

Just about every single big third party AAA game on PC is already on consoles. PC exclusives tend to be small games that no one on console has every heard of. Nintendo seems fair stout in wanting to keep their games on their hardware. The calls for more games from Sony on PC really didn't start until after Sony made it clear they were going to do more in the PC space. If Nintendo followed that same route (which I doubt) then PC folk would be more vocal about it.
Not to mention you can already play nintendo games on PC

fa2.png

Hezekiah

Banned
Let's just say for instance, all games as of right now we're available, to every single platform. Do you think the sales of Halo, God of War, or Zelda, would suddenly decrease overnight, now that anyone can download any of these games, on any of their plastic boxes? The only one who could be a fanboy with putting games on multiple platforms, are the ones who don't want it happening. They would rather act like a cult, and forbid those from playing their games, who don't represent their platform of choice.
You've already told us you have a PS5, so not sure why you're sweating about this 😁

Hezekiah

Banned
No. Two years is too long too. Because now us pc gamers have to wait even longer for price parity. I'll maybe try gow when it's $10, like it's been countless times on ps4.
Imagine being so cheap that you're waiting for a $70 game to hit $10 - sounds like you don't have a problem waiting for years 😄

You had a PS5. You sold it. Tough shit, you'll get whatever you're given.

Lognor

Banned
Imagine being so cheap that you're waiting for a $70 game to hit $10 - sounds like you don't have a problem waiting for years 😄

You had a PS5. You sold it. Tough shit, you'll get whatever you're given.
A $70 game? GOW was NEVER a $70 game. Get your facts right. GOW WAS recently under $10 though on PS4. If it's under $10 on PS4 there is no reason it shouldn't be the same on PC. I'll wait for it to hit that price at a minimum. If the game mean that much to me I would have bought a PS4 or PS5 and played the game! It doesn't! With all the AAA games given away for FREE on Epic Game Store, why the hell would I pay $50 for this game? Too much good shit to play to spend that kind of money!

Jaybe

Not even Rockstar puts out PC games Day 1. RDR2 came to PC a full year following the console release. I think Xbox should get their console release perfect and optimized, then turn attention to the PC ports. Maybe Halo Infinite would have released on time or sooner or at least in better state then what they delivered. Halo’s PC optimization is still a disaster. FH5 also had many PC issues for months.

Hezekiah

Banned
A $70 game? GOW was NEVER a $70 game. Get your facts right. GOW WAS recently under $10 though on PS4. If it's under $10 on PS4 there is no reason it shouldn't be the same on PC. I'll wait for it to hit that price at a minimum. If the game mean that much to me I would have bought a PS4 or PS5 and played the game! It doesn't! With all the AAA games given away for FREE on Epic Game Store, why the hell would I pay $50 for this game? Too much good shit to play to spend that kind of money!
GoW Ragnarok will be $70 though won't it, as will every AAA Sony first-party game going forward 🤡

And if it doesn't mean much to you, why are you on this thread demanding price parity - as if Sony are going to go to the effort of producing PC port with additional features, and sell it for $10, or that it's going drop in price significantly sooner than the PS4 version did 🤡 (the PS4 version isnt even $10 on Amazon four years after release) 💩

Stick to your epic FREE games you're having so much fun with 😅, and you'll get to play GoW in 2025.

THEAP99

Banned
Considering how low the sales are on PS5 games at this point in time compared to ps4 game sales after a year and a half of sales.. yeah they probably should be launching them on PC day and date.. that is unless the 10 dollar price hike makes up the difference

Shmunter

If platforms have nothing extra to offer, platforms don’t exist. Platforms exist to make money on the sales on those platforms.

So childish to not recognise the basics of the gaming economy on a core gaming site.

Last edited:
Jim Ryan is a dollars guy. If he thinks releasing on PC day and date like MS does won't hurt their console sales and will give them more money then it will happen.
Sony are just getting their fan base used to the idea bit by bit, and they seem to now be accepting that it's going that way. I don't think it will happen right now, but it will happen.

GoW Ragnarok will be $70 though won't it, as will every AAA Sony first-party game going forward 🤡

And if it doesn't mean much to you, why are you on this thread demanding price parity - as if Sony are going to go to the effort of producing PC port with additional features, and sell it for $10, or that it's going drop in price significantly sooner than the PS4 version did 🤡 (the PS4 version isnt even $10 on Amazon four years after release) 💩

Stick to your epic FREE games you're having so much fun with 😅, and you'll get to play GoW in 2025.
It's the equivalent of the burden of driving through a rainy day with traffic in a hoopty, vs the joy of driving on a nice open road in perfect weather in a vehicle of choice.

Why settle, when you can be on top of the world? Sometimes it's better to watch a movie in it's full glory, than watching it with air pods on an iphone.

If you have the better hardware, why not sell to even more users, than hurt a few peoples feelings?

Zeroing

Banned
Jim Ryan is a dollars guy. If he thinks releasing on PC day and date like MS does won't hurt their console sales and will give them more money then it will happen.
Sony are just getting their fan base used to the idea bit by bit, and they seem to now be accepting that it's going that way. I don't think it will happen right now, but it will happen.
Here is my opinion! Do not put your eggs all in one basket! That also doesn’t mean Sony will release all their games day 1 on PC unless they have a service or a store for it.

My hot take: They are actually getting PC gamers used to the idea of wanting/playing Sony exclusives!
Seems to be working!

Me, I do not care, good games deserve to be played! But people are so nitpicking about their platform! We all have 1 think in common tho! We love games!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If platforms have nothing extra to offer, platforms don’t exist. Platforms exist to make money on the sales on those platforms.

So childish to not recognise the basics of the gaming economy on a core gaming site.

Most 'platforms' are sold at a loss with software sales used to subsidize the cost and make a buck.

Realistically there's nothing wrong with the notion of Sony putting out their games on PC either day and date, or a fixed time interval later (like all games will come to PC 6 months after console release).

Gamerguy84

It's the equivalent of the burden of driving through a rainy day with traffic in a hoopty, vs the joy of driving on a nice open road in perfect weather in a vehicle of choice.

Why settle, when you can be on top of the world? Sometimes it's better to watch a movie in it's full glory, than watching it with air pods on an iphone.

If you have the better hardware, why not sell to even more users, than hurt a few peoples feelingBTW.
Every console maker has their own exclusives and that's the way its always been. MS started putting their games on PC to compete better.

Your post is one of the biggest reasons why PS users don't want their exclusives on PC. There are a million like you btw.

Your descriptions in your post like burden of driving through a rainy day in a hoopty meaning playstation. Not to mention the three other comments are the shit no one wants to deal with.

Last edited:
Every console maker has their own exclusives and that's the way its always been. MS started putting their games on PC to compete better.

Your post is one of the biggest reasons why PS users don't want their exclusives on PC. There are a million like you btw.

Your descriptions in your post like burden of driving through a rainy day in a hoopty meaning playstation. Not to mention the three other comments are the shit no one wants to deal with.
Every console maker can have their thing, like interface, connectivity, controller, etc. And yeah, my imagery can be applicable. Higher framerate, image quality, resolution, NPC's, etc. With better hardware, you can achieve better QOL. Even Sony has stated this with their recent PC releases. But this isn't just about PC. People with a switch can play in lower resolution and quality, but still experience x, z, y game in portability mode. Some people may like a playstation or Xbox controller, etc.

Let me ask you this, why do you Gamerguy84 Gamerguy84 feel this is a bad move? Let's hear your thoughts, rather than critique my views, which many people agree with? What are you against exactly?

DaGwaphics

No. Two years is too long too. Because now us pc gamers have to wait even longer for price parity. I'll maybe try gow when it's $10, like it's been countless times on ps4.

Cheap bastards unite, I've got a $20-ish price range myself for most games. I have enjoyed the day one access on GP though.

AllBizness

Banned
From what I'm hearing the kiddies dont mind dropping Gamepass when their old enough to make thier own money and buy thier own games. I've been reading lots of comments regarding that across the internet lately. Most people would rather just buy the games they want to play.

Shmunter

Every console maker can have their thing, like interface, connectivity, controller, etc. And yeah, my imagery can be applicable. Higher framerate, image quality, resolution, NPC's, etc. With better hardware, you can achieve better QOL. Even Sony has stated this with their recent PC releases. But this isn't just about PC. People with a switch can play in lower resolution and quality, but still experience x, z, y game in portability mode. Some people may like a playstation or Xbox controller, etc.

Let me ask you this, why do you Gamerguy84 Gamerguy84 feel this is a bad move? Let's hear your thoughts, rather than critique my views, which many people agree with? What are you against exactly?
So all that but excluding exclusive content? Arguably the biggest draw. This doesn't even pass the most basic logic.

Last edited:
So all that but excluding exclusive content? Arguably the biggest draw. This doesn't even pass the most basic logic.
Exclusives is an increasing outdated concept imo. Sony makes great games. Why limit the potential market of these great games to just PlayStation when they can easily reach a wider audience, and consequently increase potential sales and profits significantly? One argument is that it limits "hardware sales". But if you look at the numbers you will see that the actual consoles are sold at miniscule margins. Real money is in software and services, which leads to the second argument: "Going multi plat will hurt service revenues such as PSN". This is slightly more valid IF Sony decided to just release its games on Steam and Epic. What I've long thought is that Sony will probably just extend their PSN network to PC, which will eliminate this problem. PSN will not be a "store" per se, as in it will not be profit center, but just a sales channel to bring PS games to PC while trying to cross sell PSN related services (PS+ and so on).

Shmunter

Exclusives is an increasing outdated concept imo. Sony makes great games. Why limit the potential market of these great games to just PlayStation when they can easily reach a wider audience, and consequently increase potential sales and profits significantly? One argument is that it limits "hardware sales". But if you look at the numbers you will see that the actual consoles are sold at miniscule margins. Real money is in software and services, which leads to the second argument: "Going multi plat will hurt service revenues such as PSN". This is slightly more valid IF Sony decided to just release its games on Steam and Epic. What I've long thought is that Sony will probably just extend their PSN network to PC, which will eliminate this problem. PSN will not be a "store" per se, as in it will not be profit center, but just a sales channel to bring PS games to PC while trying to cross sell PSN related services (PS+ and so on).
Having something others don't is a basic commercial concept, and even more potent in the context of subscriptions. You've highlighted PSN on PC for a reason. The hardware is the main sales channel at the moment. Should PSN store come to PC, it too will need it's exclusive content & offers to get people in the door - otherwise it would be redundant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom