• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes] Women Allowed Topless In Pools In Germany For Gender Equality

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

The city of Göttingen in Lower Saxony, central Germany, will be the first in the country to allow the practice of female topless swimming in its indoor and outdoor pools, thanks to a measure aimed at increasing gender equality.

The initiative permitting swimmers to bathe 'oben-ohne' (topless) took effect on May 1 as a test limited to weekends and set to expire at the end of August.

“With this decision, the city becomes a forerunner in the country concerning the debate on equal treatment between the sexes,” write L’Essentiel, “by permitting women to show their bare torso in aquatic leisure establishments such as swimming pools.”

The gender-identity-and-equality debate​

A ‘gender identity row’ last year seems to be at the root of the temporary regulation by the city’s sports committee recommending that “all swimmers at indoor and outdoor pools should be allowed to swim topless at weekends.”

The ‘gender row’ happened when a transgender swimmer was asked to cover up at a local pool. “The swimmer protested, however, saying they identified as male. Despite the assertion, the pool authority expelled the individual, who was subsequently banned from the premises,” DW reports.

According to the German news site Spiegel, this is what happened: “A swimming pool in Göttingen threw a person out because they bathed topless. But the person does not see herself as a woman. And now there is a new rule.”

Limited Equality​

With the measure, the city intends to advance the debate on equal treatment for women and men in leisure spaces. The principal questions: Why can men show their naked torso but not women? Why must female bodies always be sexualized?

Other debates have started in Göttingen that relate to the “limited equality” accorded by the new regulation. Women’s right to swim topless is time-limited; only during the weekends and just for a few months, which doesn’t compare with men who can swim, go to parks and sunbathe ‘torso nude’ at any and all times.

Some residents find such limitations deplorable, according to AFP. Officials have explained the new practice should not compromise school swimming lessons, which take place during the week.

Many of the articles published about the issue point to the fact that Germany has “a tolerance of and, in some cases, a fondness for being ‘textile free,’” as explained by DW. “Whether it's one of the country's hundreds of spas and wellness resorts, parks or lakes, many citizens here are known for having no qualms about taking their clothes off.”

An unexpected surprise​

Since nudism and the practice of Freikörperkultur — “free body culture” — is accepted and extensive in Germany, what has surprised the local press in Göttingen is the global attention triggered by such a small development.

The Göttingen Tagerblad finds it “amazing” that “this small city in the middle of Germany is suddenly not only in the headlines nationwide, but even internationally. And all that because here, people with breasts could soon be spotted in the swimming pool - exposed!”

asshat jerk off GIF

I visit the sauna weekly, which is completely nude.
Being topless at the beach is also common practice in most European countries. Unless, you're a total degenerate, it's really not that exciting.

What irks me way more are burkinis becoming an increasingly common occurrence. Don't come to the pool if your retarded religion is the equivalent of 1950s prudism.
F*ck that shit!

Toots

Gold Member

The city of Göttingen in Lower Saxony, central Germany, will be the first in the country to allow the practice of female topless swimming in its indoor and outdoor pools, thanks to a measure aimed at increasing gender equality.

The initiative permitting swimmers to bathe 'oben-ohne' (topless) took effect on May 1 as a test limited to weekends and set to expire at the end of August.

“With this decision, the city becomes a forerunner in the country concerning the debate on equal treatment between the sexes,” write L’Essentiel, “by permitting women to show their bare torso in aquatic leisure establishments such as swimming pools.”

The gender-identity-and-equality debate​

A ‘gender identity row’ last year seems to be at the root of the temporary regulation by the city’s sports committee recommending that “all swimmers at indoor and outdoor pools should be allowed to swim topless at weekends.”

The ‘gender row’ happened when a transgender swimmer was asked to cover up at a local pool. “The swimmer protested, however, saying they identified as male. Despite the assertion, the pool authority expelled the individual, who was subsequently banned from the premises,” DW reports.

According to the German news site Spiegel, this is what happened: “A swimming pool in Göttingen threw a person out because they bathed topless. But the person does not see herself as a woman. And now there is a new rule.”

Limited Equality​

With the measure, the city intends to advance the debate on equal treatment for women and men in leisure spaces. The principal questions: Why can men show their naked torso but not women? Why must female bodies always be sexualized?

Other debates have started in Göttingen that relate to the “limited equality” accorded by the new regulation. Women’s right to swim topless is time-limited; only during the weekends and just for a few months, which doesn’t compare with men who can swim, go to parks and sunbathe ‘torso nude’ at any and all times.

Some residents find such limitations deplorable, according to AFP. Officials have explained the new practice should not compromise school swimming lessons, which take place during the week.

Many of the articles published about the issue point to the fact that Germany has “a tolerance of and, in some cases, a fondness for being ‘textile free,’” as explained by DW. “Whether it's one of the country's hundreds of spas and wellness resorts, parks or lakes, many citizens here are known for having no qualms about taking their clothes off.”

An unexpected surprise​

Since nudism and the practice of Freikörperkultur — “free body culture” — is accepted and extensive in Germany, what has surprised the local press in Göttingen is the global attention triggered by such a small development.

The Göttingen Tagerblad finds it “amazing” that “this small city in the middle of Germany is suddenly not only in the headlines nationwide, but even internationally. And all that because here, people with breasts could soon be spotted in the swimming pool - exposed!”

asshat jerk off GIF
Nice, except its going to be 99% old saggy tits as usual in those kind of places...

Being topless at the beach is also common practice in most European countries. Unless, you're a total degenerate, it's really not that exciting.

What irks me way more are burkinis becoming an increasingly common occurrence. Don't come to the pool if your retarded religion is the equivalent of 1950s prudism.
F*ck that shit!

Dude if you manage being next to fully naked individuals, you might be able to manage being next to fully clothed individuals don't you think ?
Unless you're a total degenerate, you should not really mind whatever people wear one way or another.
If you, for any racist reason , are in dire need of something bad to say about muslim culture, on the other hand, I guess you can beat up this dead horse...

Dude if you manage being next to fully naked individuals, you might be able to manage being next to fully clothed individuals don't you think ?

I'd say it's the fully clothed individuals who are having trouble being next to half-naked individuals, due to their idiotic outdated religious views.
These idiots are basically regressing women's liberties by about half a century.

Last edited:

Majukun

grew up in s country where women can go topless on the beach no problem and there were no issues..so same applies here..doesn't change much if you apply a roof over their heads

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It’s legal for women to walk around and sunbathe topless in New York City, I’m surprised this is even news in Germany.

Peggies

Gold Member

F*ck that shit!

Well Done Good Job GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Showing your boobs is every woman's god given right and used to be totally normal here until that religious prudism.

No god in his right mind has something against boobs.

Free your boobs, ladies!

Well Done Good Job GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Showing your boobs is every woman's god given right and used to be totally normal here until that religious prudism.

No god in his right mind has something against boobs.

Free your boobs, ladies!

My only hope is that those glorious topless boobs will drive away the wrapped up penguins and their oppressive husbands.
So let 'em shine ladies!

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i always thought it was shit that men can parade around topless but women can't. sure i appreciate a nice pair of boobs but really what's the difference? nipples are nipples. there is nothing scary, dangerous, or explicit about boobs. they are used to feed babies. they are one of the most natural things on this earth. women shouldn't be forced to cover them up. i don't want to sound like some horny guy that's not my point. i guess what i'm saying is boobs are way more interesting and useful than man boobs/nipples. in fact if you're a man with boobs you should be forced to cover up!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Awesome. More tits the better.

I thought a lot of Europe has naked bathing and beaches. I wouldnt think this was an issue, but I guess in Germany it is.

i always thought it was shit that men can parade around topless but women can't. sure i appreciate a nice pair of boobs but really what's the difference? nipples are nipples. there is nothing scary, dangerous, or explicit about boobs. they are used to feed babies. they are one of the most natural things on this earth. women shouldn't be forced to cover them up. i don't want to sound like some horny guy that's not my point. i guess what i'm saying is boobs are way more interesting and useful than man boobs/nipples. in fact if you're a man with boobs you should be forced to cover up!
Because the stigma is women's boobs are sex objects, so if they parade around topless, they'll be considered whores and countless horny guys will do drive by grabs or rub up against them as bus stops.

It's one of those topics, which conservative places think hell is coming if women go nude. It's no different than some countries having lax TV nudity/swearing laws and some with strict decency laws on TV. The thinking is if you show T&A on TV everyone will go ape shit raping and pillaging.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Why is a Financial magazine reporting on topless women in Germany. Probably to encourage you to save your money and visit pools in Germany.

Pagusas

Elden Member
One day humans will look back on this time and scratch their heads trying to understand what the big deal was. But I guess when you have too many men running around forever single/forever virgins, you raise a degenerate society.

Topless beaches/pools sound great in practice, but the ratio is way off. For every great looking rack you see, there are dozens of saggy old ladies.
It ain't worth it.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Its strange. The immediate thought as a guy is yay boobies, but thinking about it further. I find that breasts have become more normalized in my life, and therefore less sexual to me, if that makes sense. My girlfriend routinely walks around our apartment topless, public breast feeding is less stigmatized than it once was, and Toplessness in general is becoming more widely accepted around the globe, and video games and films are regularly starting to have topless scenes that are not necessarily sexy. I totally think there is a world where toplessness at the beach or pool is pretty normal in the next decade, and we wouldn't treat it any differently from a man being topless.

Top Bottom