• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbidden West water tech took "years" to develop

Guilty_AI

This looks like someone purposefully playing in a way to look cool. Not only he's making loads of unnecessary movements he also clearly knows where stuff like explosive barrels and enemy locations are placed in the map, meaning he replayed this game a lot.

To put it in another way, no one playing this game once or twice will play it like that.

Last edited:

skit_data

This looks like someone purposefully playing in a way to look cool. Not only he's making loads of unnecessary movements he also clearly knows where stuff like explosive barrels and enemy locations are placed in the map, meaning he replayed this game a lot.

To put it in another way, no one playing this game once or twice will play it like that.
I am not much of an Uncharted player, but that’s pretty much how I play the Uncharted-series and TLOU games.

Always moving, close combat as soon as I get the opportunity and throwing grenades/molotovs/spike bombs/tripmines on the go.

The only thing I found out of the ordinary was the heavy use of scoped sniper rifle, I prefer a non scoped rifle myself

Guilty_AI

I am not much of an Uncharted player, but that’s pretty much how I play the Uncharted-series and TLOU games.

Always moving, close combat as soon as I get the opportunity and throwing grenades/molotovs/spike bombs/tripmines on the go.

The only thing I found out of the ordinary was the heavy use of scoped sniper rifle, I prefer a non scoped rifle myself
yeah... i should also mention thats how people play almost every multiplayer shooter ever. Or any non-cover shooter for that matter.

Last edited:

.....but I do.

Always have from the first game.

You're treating it like some isolated case, I assure you it is not.

yeah... i should also mention thats how people play almost every multiplayer shooter ever. Or any non-cover shooter for that matter.
Idk why you think that somehow doesn't justifies that people DO play games the wrong way and that COULD be a reason why they didn't enjoy it as much.

Hell, watch a stream of someone playing a game awfully terrible and you just wish they'd play differently. If that can occur, it should be at the very least a good back up to my statement.

Here's another example:

This shit got blown up in the comments in the original Polygon video by how terrible the person played.

So again, of course that it exists in this world that somehow, a game's enjoyment could be linked - at times - to how a person plays the game.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
MarioWiiU will surely appreciate

vxAFJ3x.jpg

Guilty_AI

.....but I do.

Always have from the first game.

You're treating it like some isolated case, I assure you it is not.
Who knows, been some time since i played U2 & 3 so i don't remember exactly how i played it.
Idk why you think that somehow doesn't justifies that people DO play games the wrong way and that COULD be a reason why they didn't enjoy it as much.

Hell, watch a stream of someone playing a game awfully terrible and you just wish they'd play differently. If that can occur, it should be at the very least a good back up to my statement.

Here's another example:

This shit got blown up in the comments in the original Polygon video by how terrible the person played.

So again, of course that it exists in this world that somehow, a game's enjoyment could be linked - at times - to how a person plays the game.

Let me put it that way. If the developer puts a cover system, throws in loads of cover in the map and adds a self-regen system, people will play it as a cover shooter regardless of what the "right" way to play the game is.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Source: https://www.gamesradar.com/horizon-forbidden-west-water-tech-took-years-to-develop
Full interview: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/horizon-forbidden-west-interview

xzXifpep3Sy8qUz6GYKHw7-970-80.jpg.webp

Although Forbidden West is also releasing for PS4, with development having begun on that console before continuing in parallel with its successor, it is undoubtedly meant to be played on Sony’s brand new and almost impossible to buy hardware. The big “wow moment” in its latest trailer comes when Aloy submerges herself into a tropical reef that’s teeming with neon coral, giant clouds of fish and the odd AI-powered alligator. It’s a signifier of both a newfound scale to her escapades and the sheer fidelity Guerrilla has lavished on its latest creation.

"Our engineers spent an incredible amount of time on the water rendering and wave techniques. They probably spent years on that," said Horizon Forbidden West game director Mathijs de Jonge in a new interview with GQ. "There’s so much detail we can put into San Francisco’s overgrown ruins. I don’t think many people have noticed but every strand is rendered individually," de Jonge continues, referencing the individual strands of moss permeating the ruins of California.

In Horizon Forbidden West, protagonist Aloy is leaving her former stomping grounds of Zero Dawn to journey westward to California. This is why de Jonge is talking about the wave technology and water rendering taking up such a large chunk of the development process: because it's basically encapsulating a large amount of the game's open-world map on the west coast of America.

Having discovered the story of her origins in Zero Dawn, what comes next is set to be a different kind of adventure. “You want to stay true to her character, but she has to evolve,” says McCaw. “As she journeys into the mysterious frontier of the Forbidden West, she is going to evolve and I think people are really going to like it.” Don’t just take his word for it though. Covid willing, you’ll be able to play what's sure to be the biggest game of 2021 come the holiday season. It will be an epic in every respect.

Also, please use this on the OP, direct feed, PNG, from PS Blog flickr account instead of that blurry mess:

49995809658_9e3764c4b3_o.png

Last edited:
Who knows, been some time since i played U2 & 3 so i don't remember exactly how i played it.

Let me put it that way. If the developer puts a cover system, throws in loads of cover in the map and adds a self-regen system, people will play it as a cover shooter regardless of what the "right" way to play the game is.
Oh, I forgot, humans are inept and incapable of thinking creatively.

All 2.81 billion gamers are just a bunch of numb nuts who can't think, obviously. How could I be so stupid to forget such a thing.

Ashley Olsen Reaction GIF by Filmeditor

longdi

Banned
Also, please use this on the OP, direct feed, PNG, from PS Blog flickr account instead of that blurry mess:

49995809658_9e3764c4b3_o.png

imo the underwater parts in the gameplay demo didn't look as good as that screen. probably a souped up cut scene back then

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
imo the underwater parts in the gameplay demo didn't look as good as that screen. probably a souped up cut scene back then

The whole video wasn't sharp enough. From all PS Studios videos both the new and the old trailers weren't sharp enough. GG need to check their video capture guy and what he's doing there. The final game would look much better anyway.

Zoom in this screenshot and you'll still see noise/artifacts which shows it's a legit real-time footage (cutscene of course).

Unknown?

Okay backseat developer.

The water simulation in AC3 and AC4 was done by one studio over the course of the AC3's entire development, that was Ubisoft Singapore - a team of 300 people. They then kept working on it for AC4 when the water simulation had to deal with other ships in an open world settings. That studios sole job was working on water tech for years.

Boom! Roasted!

Guilty_AI

Oh, I forgot, humans are inept and incapable of thinking creatively.

All 2.81 billion gamers are just a bunch of numb nuts who can't think, obviously. How could I be so stupid to forget such a thing.
Thing is, if you wanna be creative there are games much better at doing that.
Not everyone has enough interest in researching about or replaying a straightforward game like Uncharted 4 until they master three different play-styles.

Its a bit like Watch_dogs 2. You can play the whole game as a boring third-person stealth-shooter, but the true fun lies in playing it like a hacker.
However, the developers neither reward not incentivize the player to play it like that. Thats THEIR fault, not the players.

longdi

Banned
The whole video wasn't sharp enough. From all PS Studios videos both the new and the old trailers weren't sharp enough. GG need to check their video capture guy and what he's doing there. The final game would look much better anyway.

Zoom in this screenshot and you'll still see noise/artifacts which shows it's a legit real-time footage (cutscene of course).

imo not just about video sharpeness. the old video had even more details and lighting.

also didn't the old video render at full 4k while the latest game demo is suspected to use dsr upscaling...hmm

Bo_Hazem

Banned
imo not just about video sharpeness. the old video had even more details and lighting.

also didn't the old video render at full 4k while the latest game demo is suspected to use dsr upscaling...hmm

Nope, older video and new one are pretty much the same. And both aren't sharp enough, and I suspect the video capture card is shit.

It still looks sharp for most people, but I can easily see that it's not, same for the old trailer.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Rea
Thing is, if you wanna be creative there are games much better at doing that.
Not everyone has enough interest in researching about or replaying a straightforward game like Uncharted 4 until they master three different play-styles.

Its a bit like Watch_dogs 2. You can play the whole game as a boring third-person stealth-shooter, but the true fun lies in playing it like a hacker.
However, the developers neither reward not incentivize the player to play it like that. Thats THEIR fault, not the players.
Grave Bury GIF by Rhymesayers

Sure, man.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

That's how I play and more in MP, usually hard to get less than 1st place in kills and assists. Used to get in mid match and flip tables as well.

Noobs just make games look boring, just like shit drivers make racing look boring.

Guilty_AI

That's how I play and more in MP, usually hard to get less than 1st place in kills and assists. Used to get in mid match and flip tables as well.

Noobs just make games look boring, just like shit drivers make racing look boring.
In MP games it makes sense, especially considering the amount of time people put in playing the same maps over and over and the skill mastering necessary

Well, personally i prefer noob MP.

Or crazy one.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In MP games it makes sense, especially considering the amount of time people put in playing the same maps over and over and the skill mastering necessary

Well, personally i prefer noob MP.

Or crazy one.

Played it in Crushing and I think if you try to be that funny in Campaign you'll be fucked in few seconds. But you can do some crazy combos but stealth is the best approach.

Corndog

Banned
Source: https://www.gamesradar.com/horizon-forbidden-west-water-tech-took-years-to-develop
Full interview: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/horizon-forbidden-west-interview

xzXifpep3Sy8qUz6GYKHw7-970-80.jpg.webp

Although Forbidden West is also releasing for PS4, with development having begun on that console before continuing in parallel with its successor, it is undoubtedly meant to be played on Sony’s brand new and almost impossible to buy hardware. The big “wow moment” in its latest trailer comes when Aloy submerges herself into a tropical reef that’s teeming with neon coral, giant clouds of fish and the odd AI-powered alligator. It’s a signifier of both a newfound scale to her escapades and the sheer fidelity Guerrilla has lavished on its latest creation.

"Our engineers spent an incredible amount of time on the water rendering and wave techniques. They probably spent years on that," said Horizon Forbidden West game director Mathijs de Jonge in a new interview with GQ. "There’s so much detail we can put into San Francisco’s overgrown ruins. I don’t think many people have noticed but every strand is rendered individually," de Jonge continues, referencing the individual strands of moss permeating the ruins of California.

In Horizon Forbidden West, protagonist Aloy is leaving her former stomping grounds of Zero Dawn to journey westward to California. This is why de Jonge is talking about the wave technology and water rendering taking up such a large chunk of the development process: because it's basically encapsulating a large amount of the game's open-world map on the west coast of America.

Having discovered the story of her origins in Zero Dawn, what comes next is set to be a different kind of adventure. “You want to stay true to her character, but she has to evolve,” says McCaw. “As she journeys into the mysterious frontier of the Forbidden West, she is going to evolve and I think people are really going to like it.” Don’t just take his word for it though. Covid willing, you’ll be able to play what's sure to be the biggest game of 2021 come the holiday season. It will be an epic in every respect.
She is going to evolve huh? Maybe that’s what happened to her face.

SSfox

And everywhere else. The first game was not fun to play.
HZ1 is definitely not perfect, and it's quite boring in some areas (lack of interactions, basic hunting, Melee fights ect), but also excting in others area, mostly machines fighting. And overall HZ1 is a very good game.

For a first time in the genre and for dev that used to make only FPS games, GG definitely nailed it, and seems already having improve many aspects of the first game, like melee fighting and climbing gameplay. And i'm sure they still have much more stuffs and exciting stuffs about HZ2 in stores they didn't show yet.

Good. I love great looking water effects.

Temptation Island Pool GIF by RTL
This is not realistic at all, there is no water dripping from her arms after 1 second. Second, this looks too much like a *gasp* dare I say it, a real woman. How dare you showing an attractive female! All females in games must look butch and manly, didn’t you get the note? /s…

SLB1904

Banned
i don't know the hair was an obvious upgrade.. and im 100% sure final game will be miles better

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yes, I'm sure the entire staff at GG has been focusing solely on technology...
Well of course not, but this tells me a lot of resources are going into it.

Listen, if you like playing water effects it's your prerogative.

BabyYoda

Banned
It was the most impressive part of the demo for me for sure, I hope the underwater sections are more than just brief transition areas, like I would want proper full blown underwater areas to explore, I'm a sucker for that! Hopefully it comes to the PC in a couple years or so :p

Fredrik

Okay backseat developer.

The water simulation in AC3 and AC4 was done by one studio over the course of the AC3's entire development, that was Ubisoft Singapore - a team of 300 people. They then kept working on it for AC4 when the water simulation had to deal with other ships in an open world settings. That studios sole job was working on water tech for years.

Cool info. Probably spilled over to AC Odyssey as well, it has amazing water, rolling waves, full of life, just awesome 👌

Arun1910

Cool info. Probably spilled over to AC Odyssey as well, it has amazing water, rolling waves, full of life, just awesome 👌

Yeah I think they've played some part in every AC since for any water aspects. They recently helped work on the Valhalla River Raids too

Top Bottom