• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forgotten Gems of the Past. List some non main stream titles that you love!

They are! Star Flight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula was amazing as well. Excellent games.

Einhander. Somebody mentioned it earlier, and a lot of people probably missed out on that one.. My favorite shooter of all time,, and i don't think it's available anywhere.
I've never played or seen Star Flight 2 :(

GeekyDad

My absolute favorite in this category is Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (DS). I know the franchise is well known, but this particular game got sorely overlooked and under-rated.

309706.jpg

Great, misunderstood SRPG gameplay. I think the fact that you had to aggro certain enemies dumbfounded a lot of players. Great story, incredible dialogue in the ranks of Tactics Ogre (PSP) and FFT (PSP). Three separate paths, each well worth their time.

Last edited:

Aion002

After Acquire lost the rights to Tenchu, they made Shinobido for the PS2 (also on the psp and vita)... Such a great game:

Another amazing game from Acquire is the Way of the Samurai series (on PS2 and PS360)... Ghost of Tsushima? Nioh? Sekiro? WAY OF THE SAMURAI IS THE OG SAMURAI GAME! It has many mechanics that those ps4 classics have and it also have a lot of the Yakuza series crazy humour, Way of the Samurai it's amazing and everybody that likes japanese games should try it out.

This video showcase the combat gameplay, but the series is more than that, there are multiple endings and a lot of dialogue choices, many hidden characters and ways to complete the main story. There are 4 games, 2 on the ps2 and 2 on the ps360. In my opinion, 2 and 3 are the best, but the first one and the fourth one are also great!

Also... Kuon from From Software... I will never lose the opportunity to spread the word: Kuon is excellent!

Last edited:
Do you have a pc that was manufactured in the last 30 years? Then you can! GOG has SF 1 and 2 for the low, low price of $6! Absolutely recommended, and while you're there buy the other best pc space rpg hybrid thingy: Star Control 2.
I actually still have my old Pentium MMX 233 Mhz in my mum's garage LOL. I have Star Control 2 on my 3DO and its ace.

Shut0wen

I will start off the list with just a few titles

1. Speed Devils: (Dreamcast) Race, earn money, upgrade cars!

dc_speeddevilsonlineracing.jpg

2.Gladius (gamecube,xbox, ps2) This was a fun RPG to play during Roman times. No spoilers but by the end you do feel like a bad ass!

Gladius.jpg

3, Mat Mania aka Exciting hour: An arcade wrestling game built in the mid 80's. IMO the perfect wrestling game.

REiArBR.jpg
Holy shit OP thanks for this thread, ive been looking for a game a played a long time ago, was a racing game and i remember fondly of a level with a volcano and after a google search it turns out it was speed devils, amazing game

stn

Probably many titles, but I'll post a few that come to mind:

1. Street Fighter X Tekken (360/PS3) - it has a hardcore following and the Discord is lively, so not fully forgotten. Great fighter and roster.
2. Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble (PSP) - very unique blend of combat and adventure.
3. Otogi (Xbox) - a FROM software title that most people probably never played.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Warhammer : Space Marine

Bionic Commando 2009

The Adventure of Little Ralph / PS1

Apocalypse / PS1

Nano Breaker / PS2

Sega Race Tv / Arcade
Yes! Warhammer space marine was amazing and the multiplayer was pretty fun too. I wish THQ had the balls to make it triple A and make a sequel.
captain-titus-warhammer40k.gif

front.jpg

Loom (1990-LucasArts) - One of the forgotten gems of LucasArts adventure titles. Unlike their other adventure games, Loom's menu system was simplified and relied mostly on music. I had a blast with this game when it first came out.

1580734670932-Screen-Shot-2020-01-31-at-152226.png

2_6wWfyxf.jpg
This game was definitely a gem, but it has a really rough finish/end if I recall correctly.

After Acquire lost the rights to Tenchu, they made Shinobido for the PS2 (also on the psp and vita)... Such a great game:

Another amazing game from Acquire is the Way of the Samurai series (on PS2 and PS360)... Ghost of Tsushima? Nioh? Sekiro? WAY OF THE SAMURAI IS THE OG SAMURAI GAME! It has many mechanics that those ps4 classics have and it also have a lot of the Yakuza series crazy humour, Way of the Samurai it's amazing and everybody that likes japanese games should try it out.

This video showcase the combat gameplay, but the series is more than that, there are multiple endings and a lot of dialogue choices, many hidden characters and ways to complete the main story. There are 4 games, 2 on the ps2 and 2 on the ps360. In my opinion, 2 and 3 are the best, but the first one and the fourth one are also great!

Also... Kuon from From Software... I will never lose the opportunity to spread the word: Kuon is excellent!

Way of the samurai 1 on ps2 is one of the greatest games ever released. Would love a remaster.

My entry: Popful Mail
220px-PopfulMailBox.jpg

4jpu.gif

yFE2rGX.gif

tommib

gb_burai_fighter_deluxe_p_shch2l.jpg

I picked this up blindly when my parents gave me a gameboy. Played it for days on a row finishing it back to back. One of my favorites.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Lots of Saturn Games, notably Shining the Holy Ark. This game is effing stunning in it's visuals. Seriously one of the coolest games I've ever seen from that era.

This old DOS game immediately comes to mind though, I wish it was on GOG. So much fun and the OST has some absolute bangers.

Last edited:

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
One of the few original Playstation 1 games I still own. Such an amazing looking game. Way harder than you'd think it'd be. Art direction still holds up super well today too.
Yes, imagine a HD-remaster... Could be beautiful. I remember the game being hard as well: everything killed you! Fast and violent! Not something my parents expected when they bought it, haha.

Bridges

14175470_Alt01-300x415.jpg

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (PS2/Xbox/GCN) One of my favorite co-op games, spent countless hours on this back in the day and still revisit it time to time. It's the arcade/N64 game Gauntlet Legends but with a bunch of new levels, characters and improvements. The peak of the series for sure, every Gauntlet game after pales in comparison, would love to see this modernized.

capa%2Bdo%2Bjogo.jpg

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (PS3/360/PC) One of the most visually beautiful games of its time. A weird Japanese take on The Book of Enoch with rhythm combat and an absolutely ludicrous story, I've truly played nothing like it and wish there was more out there like it.

80510_Dunk_Lords.jpg

Dunk Lords (XB1/PC) Came in with low expectations as it was some Games With Gold freebie, but turned out to be a very fun arcadey Basketball game that ended up being more enjoyable than the 2K Playgrounds games. Also turned out to be mostly made by one guy who was previously the programmer for Spelunky., keeping that in mind, it's surprisingly well made. The reviews are all very negative but I feel that it's very worth checking out

R850768bfa57d1c5d16e7365f8418aef2

moon (PS1/Switch) Very awesome adventure/puzzle game made by the guys who'd go on to make similar games like Chibi-Robo and Chulip. You're sucked into an RPG world and must help the townsfolk and save the world from the game's "hero" who goes around killing defenseless creatures for XP, raiding people's houses for items, and generally being a nuisance. It takes a lot of RPG conventions and turns them on its head, inspired games like Undertale that have made its ideas a little more mainstream, but still very much worth checking out. Luckily it just got an official English translation and port to Switch.

coffinbirth

Wow, so many come to mind.
Much like most artforms, I tend to lean towards the obscure, so this might be a long list, haha.

The Guardian Legend
Rampart
Mr.Do
Demon's Crest
Illusion of Gaia
Klax
Road Blasters
Pandemonium
Mr. Bones
Harmful Park
Blast Corps.
Body Harvest
Extreme-G
Tetrisphere
S.C.A.R.S.
Cosmic Smash
Re-Volt
Toy Commander
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Shadow Man
Katamari Damacy
Ghosthunter
Cold Fear
Gradius V
Fantavision
Otogi
Blood Wake
Hunter: The Reckoning
Roadkill
Full Auto
Shadow Complex
The Darkness
Condemned
Dyad
Tokyo Jungle
Puppeteer
Dead Nation
3D Dot Game Heroes

I know I'm forgetting some, but I strongly urge others to seek these out if they haven't played them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Puzzle Quest 1.

Really good game I had on XBLA. Puzzle Quest 2 was shit. It looked better and had more RPG elements, but it was really slow paced and a total slog to get through. The battles took forever.

PQ1 is more streamlined and faster.

There is a new PQ3 coming out this year, which is F2P too.

220px-Puzzle_quest_PSP.jpg

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Puzzle Quest 1.

Really good game I had on XBLA. Puzzle Quest 2 was shit. It looked better and had more RPG elements, but it was really slow paced and a total slog to get through. The battles took forever.

PQ1 is more streamlined and faster.

There is a new PQ3 coming out this year, which is F2P too.

220px-Puzzle_quest_PSP.jpg
Yes!
First game was fantastic, second one....not so much. I think they made a sci fi one too, but I don't recall the name. Never bothered to play it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes!
First game was fantastic, second one....not so much. I think they made a sci fi one too, but I don't recall the name. Never bothered to play it.
They made Galactix and a Marvel one. Checking Wiki they also made a Magic The Gathering PQ for mobile. I never played any of these.

There's also Gems of War. F2P game. Good production values but a game with mtx. If you go the cheap way, it's a such a grind fest it's not worth playing. I played it a bunch then dropped it as progression is slow.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

They made Galactix and a Marvel one. Checking Wiki they also made a Magic The Gathering PQ for mobile. I never played any of these.

There's also Gems of War. F2P game. Good production values but a game with mtx. If you go the cheap way, it's a such a grind fest it's not worth playing. I played it a bunch then dropped it as progression is slow.
Yup, Galactix, that's the sci fi one I was thinking of.
Damn, now I'm thinking I should pop the PSP port of the 1st one onto my phone. It's been a loooong time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
69558-tv-sports-basketball-amiga-front-cover.jpg

Roughly early 1990s I played it.

The gameplay was stiff, half the game was automated for you (rebounds and half court), charging fouls were stupidly easy to do, defensive fouls were few and seemed totally random, the cpu when losing by 20 pts or more would go go giant long bomb 3pts shots over and over again, no matter how tired the cpu players were they hit 3 pt shots with about 33% accuracy no matter what. No real teams or players. And despite around 30 teams, a season I think was only 18 games long or something (it was an oddly low number and definitely not 82 games).

But. I liked it.

My best score was 150 pts on something like 80% shooting. There's a way to get in-close shots going in with high probability without getting called for charging fouls but you got to be really meticulous in positioning.

Best of all you could edit your team (limited stuff you could do), and the game had THE MOST stat tracking in a basketball game ever. I don't think an EA NBA game had this much stats until 10 years later. You got tons of stats (totals and %) for players and teams.

Whomever did the stats must had a finance background. It was like spreadsheet heaven. Sortable too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom