• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former God of War art director joins Netflix to work on an original AAA game

Draugoth

Gold Member
Netflix has hired another high-profile developer for its new game studio in southern California, which is working on an original, multiplatform triple-A game.

Santa Monica Studio art director Raf Grassetti announced earlier this month that he was leaving the God of War studio after more than a decade at Sony.

Last edited:

nowhat

Does anyone have any idea what Neflix is really trying to do with their gaming push? Will it be streaming only, and if so, what platforms/devices will be supported? Or will they become a third-party publisher? Or what?

Whatever it is, I'm willing to bet if/when costs have to be cut (Netflix isn't doing that great now), gaming will be among the first to go.

First Joseph Staten who helped create Halo and now this guy who worked on one of PlayStation's tentpole IPs for a decade. Whatever it is, I'm intrigued.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Many studios tried to make top tier quality AAA games. With all due respect, non have came close to the full package PS Studios offer.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

Does anyone have any idea what Neflix is really trying to do with their gaming push? Will it be streaming only, and if so, what platforms/devices will be supported? Or will they become a third-party publisher? Or what?

Whatever it is, I'm willing to bet if/when costs have to be cut (Netflix isn't doing that great now), gaming will be among the first to go.
I believe what the initiator of the Netflix games said was that they wanted to increase the player engagement in their games division. They have so many great single player story focused games on Android and iOS(no streaming yet).

My thoughts: They might allow streaming too in the near future & will also try to push those games everywhere they can. After mobile, next easy step would be PC as it open stage.

It is fascinating how their business model works. You can download the actual game itself for free from appstore and playstore(pay nothing to apple and Google) but you directly pay Netflix to get subscription and that unlocks the game. Apple and Google get no dime in this.

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

The game will be cancelled halfway through development and Netflix will then reassess their efforts in making AAA games.

Last edited:

Interesting that you've asked this, as Netflix owns the Oxenfree dev (Night School Studio) and apparently the sequel releases later this summer and not only on Netflix Games where you'd expect it will come (e.g. iOS and Android) but on most other platforms as well other than Xbox for some reason (PC, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch). :pie_thinking:

Many studios tried to make top tier quality AAA games. With all due respect, non have came close to the full package PS Studios offer.
uFUfxNP.png

HTK

Banned
Looks like another one of those self important announcements.

This man Draugoth Draugoth should be commended for his speedy news on these forums.

Last edited:
Top Bottom