• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former PlayStation US boss Jack Tretton wishes Sony had supported Vita more

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new interview with Axios, Tretton namechecked Vita as one of several PlayStation technologies he felt had been “orphaned a little bit” by parent company Sony.

“There were certainly technologies that I thought were good but just didn’t have the level of support they needed,” he said, also citing 3D gaming and PlayStation VR, which didn’t launch until after he left the company in 2014.

Being a successful part of a big corporation sometimes meant having to make sacrifices when other parts of the business weren’t performing so well, Tretton said.

“So, you come up with new technology to introduce to the industry and the consumers. But do you have the marketing budget to really drive the message? Do you have the developer support dollars to incent them to develop games to support this initiative? And sometimes you would birth technology and hope that it caught on.”

Barakov

Hard to disagree with his statement. I mean putting all their weight behind PS4 was probably the better play but they should at least kept it around for third parties. Because the thing had enough support and fan base to keep it at least going in Japan.

But it's could've/should've at this point.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have never been in love with gaming hardware until this came out. It was sleek, innovative and powerful. Mark cernys first masterpiece. I went out and bought like six games for it in the first couple of months simply because i loved playing on that thing. The zipper game unit 13 was so damn addicting. Uncharted felt AAA on handheld. Gravity rush was mesmerizing. Resistance sucked but kz came out a year later and was fantastic.

And then Sony stopped supporting it and turned it into an indie machine. Like come on that wasn’t the selling point of this technologically advanced portable hardware. No one spent $250 on it to play some indie games.

Yoboman

What Sony missed and Nintendo understood with PSP and Vita is that the launches are largely irrelevant. Sony had great launch lineups both times but faltered afterwards

Its what comes around the 12-18 month mark that matters. Thats when you should be dropping the bangers. In fact Nintendo generally straight up refreshes hardware at that point alot

Top Bottom