• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Stadia Boss Phil Harrison Quietly Leaves Google Following Service Closure

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
To be fair, he actually did well when he was at Sony. After he left Sony in 2008 it's been downhill for him since then. I don't think we can solely blame him for the downfall of Stadia or the shit launch of the of the XB1. I've always thought it was just bad luck, but then again I am not 100% sure what he actually did at Microsoft or Google besides his vague job titles, so happy to be corrected.

diffusionx

Gold Member
He keeps getting work because there are like 5 guys on earth who have run and managed a major gaming division and launched a major platform. Even if he sucks at it, he's still part of a very small group so if that's what you need in your company he's the guy you call. Same reason why Raja Koduri got a job running Intel's GPU division after he drove AMD's into irrelevance (note AMD's stuff is now viable again after he left).

Robochobo

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

E-Cat

Why would Nintendo hire him?
Why indeed?
A top Sony executive has dismissed the Nintendo DS as 'an irrelevance' when it comes to predicting the success of the PSP, describing the handheld's touch screen feature as nothing more than a 'gimmick'.

“Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down," Harrison continued. "It’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokémon."

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The business model of paying $60-$70 for a copy of a game only playable via cloud is not going to work. Had they tried to do a high-profile competitor to Game Pass, they'd have had more traction, but I think still would've ultimately failed without a console box option. They also didn't have the discipline to play the long game and ride it out longer, to see if they could've eventually had a profitable business from it, albeit probably very small compared to console install bases. But we all knew going into it that Google wouldn't give it the time it needed.

Not just that, but $60-70 PLUS the subscription cost. You've gotta do one or the other, the combination was DOA, and it was obvious right from the start that it would be. No idea how that model was what they decided to go with.

I'd find it more newsworthy if he didn't leave quietly: security had to drag him out, while he yelled "it's just not fair!", throwing potted plants about.

As for Stadia. Google are much like Apple with it: they just don't get it. I know there's Googler's who play games, as well as Macolytes, but neither company's top brass have any conviction when talking about it. That big intro of Stadia, Sundar Pichai got on stage and... well... it was like watching a trainee judge talk about what "those young people are doing!".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Check out his wiki. Every place he goes to after his Sony days, the new company's products hit the toilet. Then he leaves, joins another company and the same thing.

His best track record was his Sony days from 20 years ago.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not just that, but $60-70 PLUS the subscription cost. You've gotta do one or the other, the combination was DOA, and it was obvious right from the start that it would be. No idea how that model was what they decided to go with.
Ya that never made sense.

It's be like Netflix or Spotify saying a sub plan is $10/mth. But you also got to buy the movie or song on top of it.

Easy. It was prolly the only model that publishers were willing to agree in order to bring their games to Stadia to begin with

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Easy. It was prolly the only model that publishers were willing to agree in order to bring their games to Stadia to begin with

I don't think they were getting a share of the subscription costs though, probably Google was just taking X% of the game sales like on most digital stores? I might be wrong though, maybe the subscription revenue was also shared.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Why indeed?
A top Sony executive has dismissed the Nintendo DS as 'an irrelevance' when it comes to predicting the success of the PSP, describing the handheld's touch screen feature as nothing more than a 'gimmick'.

“Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down," Harrison continued. "It’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokémon."
It must be Nintendo's time to be burdened with him. Sony, Microsoft and PC users have had to bear the brunt of him for years. Bowser sign him up, your business is going too well and needs to be taken down a peg or two 😂

Bowser, hire fucking snipers to take this prick out if he strolls anywhere near the building

AGRacing

He will hibernate for a few years... And then he will emerge ready to help destroy another company or venture.

Angry Season 2 GIF by The Office

Last edited:

JCK75

Google what I made a killing off the technology if they had just made a deal with Autodesk to offer the architectural suites to schools during the pandemic so that kids could take CAD classes from Chromebooks.. that window of opportunity has come and gone

Go_Ly_Dow

It's always baffling how many companies (including non games industry ones) appoint directors who have a history of failure.

I think the Phil Harrison types are just very good at cherry picking statistics and peddling BS to make it seem like they have a history of success behind them.

LordCBH

Off to fail upwards to another corporation. The fact that idiots like him keep getting hired for these positions is absurd as fuck.

DaGwaphics

The business model of paying $60-$70 for a copy of a game only playable via cloud is not going to work. Had they tried to do a high-profile competitor to Game Pass, they'd have had more traction, but I think still would've ultimately failed without a console box option. They also didn't have the discipline to play the long game and ride it out longer, to see if they could've eventually had a profitable business from it, albeit probably very small compared to console install bases. But we all knew going into it that Google wouldn't give it the time it needed.

The model just almost doesn't make sense without some kind of recurring subscription associated with it. Like xcloud being tied to GP or what Nvidia is doing with Geforce Now. There are recurring expenses to it, so, selling someone a game for $70 and then they play it for 5k hours, like that crazy guy with RDR2, just isn't all that feasible.

Mahavastu

Check out his wiki. Every place he goes to after his Sony days, the new company's products hit the toilet. Then he leaves, joins another company and the same thing.
Not just after Sony, also with Sony.
He was one of the main guys behind the desastrous PS3 launch, just look at the Sony E3 press conference of 2006.

FBeeEye

Banned
There was a time when the cloud was supposed to take over. Google jumped on it.

Turns out we are further away than we thought. A lot further. Doesn't help they had terrible execution on the entire thing, the launch was a disaster.
The service was great. Google just didn't have the commitment to original content. No streaming service can succeed without original content.

Top Bottom