• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula One Season 2021 | OT | Welcome to the Pirhana Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

That’s Ferrari for you. Trying to keep a Monaco pole with a damaged gearbox is understandable, but different than not finding anything wrong with it and then it fails immediately. He could have started P5 instead.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Hamilton 7th and Bottas out of top 10 - I'm okay with that.
Im not, I like watching Hamilton start putting on a charge.

For all the 'Merc masters of strategy' comments, they honestly miss more than they hit. Hamilton brought in miles too soon. Mercedes often bring their drivers in way to early or way to late, I've never seen any other team so consistently make such unusual decisions; that they have usually had a driver and car capable of making it work is largely their saving grace because apart from the odd good call like Catalunya, they frequently make the srivers lives harder than it needs to be.

As for this race, its shit. Mick overtaking Mazepin at the hairpin, Ricciardo (who is driving like ass) losing a place at the start, outside of that not a single overtake. Its an absolutely pointless race.

They need to use a special Monaco spec chasis like an F2 or something, something smaller with less power. It was a joke years ago that Ricciardo won down over 150hp and backed up every car on the circuit.

I hate hearing about the whole Monaco legacy etc and people in the media who attend the even talk about how yeh its not amazing the race but we love coming here....well yeh Im sure its great to attend and hang out at all the parties but for those of us who watch for the racing, no different to 78 laps of following a safety car

SkylineRKR

Leadership and Monte Carlo in the bag. This is a first for us. Ferrari gambled and lost. I wonder if Perez should've gone into the pit box instead, you won't gain a race position here, he could shoot for a fastest lap and retain the 4th place.

edj3t.jpg

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Im not, I like watching Hamilton start putting on a charge.

For all the 'Merc masters of strategy' comments, they honestly miss more than they hit. Hamilton brought in miles too soon. Mercedes often bring their drivers in way to early or way to late, I've never seen any other team so consistently make such unusual decisions; that they have usually had a driver and car capable of making it work is largely their saving grace because apart from the odd good call like Catalunya, they frequently make the srivers lives harder than it needs to be.

As for this race, its shit. Mick overtaking Mazepin at the hairpin, Ricciardo (who is driving like ass) losing a place at the start, outside of that not a single overtake. Its an absolutely pointless race.

They need to use a special Monaco spec chasis like an F2 or something, something smaller with less power. It was a joke years ago that Ricciardo won down over 150hp and backed up every car on the circuit.

I hate hearing about the whole Monaco legacy etc and people in the media who attend the even talk about how yeh its not amazing the race but we love coming here....well yeh Im sure its great to attend and hang out at all the parties but for those of us who watch for the racing, no different to 78 laps of following a safety car
I don't think that with cost cutting there's a chance to develop a separate chassis even if it was used in some of the other city races as well. The track just doesn't work with modern F1 cars and no one wants to get rid of this GP because of its iconic status. And since this is Monaco you can't expect drastic changes to the track layout either.

Fox Mulder

That’s Monaco. It’s a shit race with tons of glamour and the most public awareness. They aren’t going to change or drop it even if it’s long outdated with these school bus cars. The Netflix crowd probably eats up all the celebrity shit too.

I only bother with qualifying and the highlights.

Last edited:

Jorav

Typical Monaco. Quali is the highlight for me on this track. Perez and Vettel had solid races. Merc losing a stack of points is the only thing keeping the championship alive. Probably the one few tracks they will drop points at bar a DNF.

Mohonky

I don't think that with cost cutting there's a chance to develop a separate chassis even if it was used in some of the other city races as well. The track just doesn't work with modern F1 cars and no one wants to get rid of this GP because of its iconic status. And since this is Monaco you can't expect drastic changes to the track layout either.
No Im saying they should use the F2 cars, or some other spec race vehicles for that one event rather than develop a specific car.

The F1 cars just cannot race there. The only on track overtake occurred on the first lap when everyone is bunched up and its chaos, after that there was nothing anyone could do but hope the strategists could find gaps for something in a pitstop.

Had Leclerc made the start, he would have won.

Shubh_C63

No Im saying they should use the F2 cars, or some other spec race vehicles for that one event rather than develop a specific car.
I'm sorry but that's a terrible idea. How would that even work.
Doesn't F2 and F1 have different car makers. Merc would just go Bottas hop on that Prema Racing F2 car for Monaco while the original team...I don't even know how to complete this.

I think seeing how iconic and how much money Monaco earns them, we can tolerate the track if we can tolerate Merc 1-2 for past 3 years.

Great Hair

Banned
F1: only top drivers, 1x per team
F3: the 2nd driver races in this category

Constructers can only be won, if the team is successful in all "tiers, leagues". And instead of racing 2h in the same direction, have them race two races (a 1h) per GP in both directions.

Was wondering while watching Monaco GP, would it be more interesting if they raced the opposite direction? Remove both chicanes (start up hill, outside of tunnel) and have then two long straights (one going up hill, the other towards the tunnel) for overtaking?

Jorav

Was wondering while watching Monaco GP, would it be more interesting if they raced the opposite direction? Remove both chicanes (start up hill, outside of tunnel) and have then two long straights (one going up hill, the other towards the tunnel) for overtaking?
Monaco just needs inclement weather and it’s great. A legacy track, done no favours with current regs.
Crazy that Bernie outlived Max Mosley.
That troll man won’t die. He has some black magic hex keeping him alive

Last edited:
A lot of red flags in qualifying, but at least it's shaken up the starting order for tomorrow. The irony of a Ferrari involved crash securing pole for Ferrari yet again. Looking forward to watching the race after work.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Crazy qualifying. I feel like if it wasn't for the red flag we would've had Max on pole and probably Gasly higher than P4 as well. Lewis blessed as always. ;)

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Leclerc with back to back pole performances is great.

it’s a bit crazy places are still fucked with covid while the US is like completely open now. Haven’t worn masks in weeks and went to a full capacity crowd coke 600 nascar race.

I’ll try to go to an f1 race this year especially if there’s two now.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

LOL Lewis. All he had to do was console his second place. Now he has nothing and the damage done to Max is rather minimal. Max would've walked away with some 8 points more, but now it stays the same. And Mercedes has zero points.

Baby Reaction GIF

What a boring racing.
Looked like a life sized Scalextric race with 2 final wicked laps.

Nah, don't agree, it was engaging for me and then turned into a rollercoaster of a race, because various things happened that I didn't expect.

I enjoyed watching LeClerc at the start, he hung on better than I anticipated, Perez putting in some great moves at key times - his result would have been very different had he not made the passes when he did, Hamilton's and Perez's slow pitstops made it so you didn't know who would come out in front of who, and watching Vettel catching the pair of them, etc.

I'm still mad that Pirelli fucked Stroll's and Max's race but at least Hamilton immediately alleviated that with his comedy gold "It's not a sprint" and then screeches of at T1. I really can't see Merc re-hiring Buttass next year, his performance recently is shocking.

Mohonky

Once again, Mercedes strategists absolutely baffle me. How can they not see what is so obvious that everyone else can see?

The undercut works, they saw the times the undercut was getting, Bottas nearly undercut Verstappen and there was a bigger difference from Verstappen to Bottas, so it should have been so bloody obvious with less gap Hamilton to Verstappen was a no brainer that Hamilton was going to lose the lead. Then to NOT pit when everyone was saying the tyres wouldn't last and they'd need another stop? They should have pitted for the undercut on a second stop on Verstappen.

They keep getting kudos for their strategy but it's honestly been their weakest link for many years. They've often thrown race wins pitting when noone else did, not pitting when everyone else did, waiting far to late to make calls and it's not like those are big calls, they are just the obvious 'errr wtf are they doing?' calls. Unreal.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Once again, Mercedes strategists absolutely baffle me. How can they not see what is so obvious that everyone else can see?

The undercut works, they saw the times the undercut was getting, Bottas nearly undercut Verstappen and there was a bigger difference from Verstappen to Bottas, so it should have been so bloody obvious with less gap Hamilton to Verstappen was a no brainer that Hamilton was going to lose the lead. Then to NOT pit when everyone was saying the tyres wouldn't last and they'd need another stop? They should have pitted for the undercut on a second stop on Verstappen.

They keep getting kudos for their strategy but it's honestly been their weakest link for many years. They've often thrown race wins pitting when noone else did, not pitting when everyone else did, waiting far to late to make calls and it's not like those are big calls, they are just the obvious 'errr wtf are they doing?' calls. Unreal.

It is a lot easier to make calls when your cars a beast. Now that things are more even we see even they are not perfect. How many years has it been since merc has had to make calls with out a beast of a car and Hamilton to bail them out. It is fun to watch them fumble under pressure for once. I do think once the tracks change merc will have an advantage. Hamilton is so good any advantage will be enough to eek out another title.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Good result for RBR (and McLaren). Ferrari - oh dear, that was pathetic. I can't imagine how tough it'll be for Ferrari fans later in the season if they truly fully switched to developing '22 car.

Mohonky

It is a lot easier to make calls when your cars a beast. Now that things are more even we see even they are not perfect. How many years has it been since merc has had to make calls with out a beast of a car and Hamilton to bail them out. It is fun to watch them fumble under pressure for once. I do think once the tracks change merc will have an advantage. Hamilton is so good any advantage will be enough to eek out another title.
Thats what I said earlier, when the car was a beast it covered up for their woeful strategy calls; either Hamilton having to drive like a lunatic or just otherwise making up any deficit in the strategy call but it's really costing them now. They should have been looking at Bottas outlap and realising yeop, pit Hamilton now before Verstappen, it was also shown by other teams that the undercut was powerful. Then in the middle stint it was obvious it was going to be a 2 stopper and tried for the undercut again. How they keep missing that shit is beyond me. It was the same in Baku and again in Monaco. Hamilton goes into pit and comes out anything up for 3 places further back.

Fox Mulder

FIA: We're struggling to figure out how to help Mercedes win this year, so here goes... things like this make me want to drop this sport despite being a longtime fan.

Mercedes have had some real shit pit stops recently, don’t blame them for crying about it. Saying it’s for safety is hilarious though.

They’ve had some of their clever advantages chipped away by rule changes over the years too.

This is getting a bit out of pocket with the FIA. Especially when RB, historically the fastest team in pit stops, hasn't made a mistake that this TD is allegedly trying to combat for 8 fucking years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom