• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula One Season 2021 | OT | Welcome to the Pirhana Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel for Bottas. Sure some things are definitely his mistake but I feel he is now in the same position as Seb was in the last year with Ferrari except the Mercedes folks are doing it with a smile. Slowly but surely the pressure of "ey you wanna keep your job, we are actually thinking of another guy, this kid called George" is getting to him and I think its unfair considering he was probably the best team player to Hamilton. I actually wish George becomes driver 2, because he is a snotty kid that wont care about playing nice with Hamilton.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Pretty boring race. A lot of unlucky guys - Gasly DNF'ing not of his own fault, Russell's points curse still in effect and Perez with a fucked up pitstop which probably costed him a podium finish.

Fox Mulder

Hamilton and Verstappen just flipped and not really having a battle for the ages. A shame that Perez lost out on a podium with a bad pit stop. He was hustling at the end.

Mercedes is already saying they aren’t upgrading their car the rest of the season.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

The atmosphere in the team is pretty unique, you can tell that both parties dislike each other, but they have to work together. Or, if this is a PR stunt to make Mazespin a more likeable guy, it's not working for me.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
LT2ZswB.jpg

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Unexpected qualifying, nice to see Lando on the first row and he had a real chance to get the pole. Russell also drove the heck out of his car.

I wonder if McLaren will keep Danny Ric, because he's clearly not finding common language with his car (or Lando became THAT good this season).

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
FIA: You get a penalty, he gets a penalty, everyone gets a penalty!

I don't think Checo should've been penalized in the second incident with Charles. Speaking of Leclerc he seems to be risking too much, maybe there's big pressure from Ferrari's bosses to score better (despite having a shit car this year)?

And damn, Kubica curse strikes again for Russell.

Last edited:
The stewards handing out penalties like candy at Halloween spoiled the race somewhat. Pitlane speeding, track limits and overtaking before the SC line? Sure things there, but Lando's and both of Sergio's penalties weren't deserved. That's just hard racing, I would expect to be gradually squeezed off if I hung around the outside of a corner for so long, because the inside driver is the one on the correct racing line. The time penalties should be reserved for when someone blatantly shoves another car off, turns into the other car or divebombs and makes contact.

Even one of Tsunoda's penalties seemed harsh to me, his tire was the smallest fraction over the beginning of the white pit entry line for the tiniest split second.

Jorav

Unexpected qualifying, nice to see Lando on the first row and he had a real chance to get the pole. Russell also drove the heck out of his car.

I wonder if McLaren will keep Danny Ric, because he's clearly not finding common language with his car (or Lando became THAT good this season).

While i'm rooting for my fellow australian, he's just been so dissapointing in that McLaren. He has a multi year deal, but he's definatley not worth the salary they are paying him compared to Lando. I think Austria is a circuit he's always been terrible at. Fingers crossed for some consistant top 6 results.

Fox Mulder

The stewards handing out penalties like candy at Halloween spoiled the race somewhat. Pitlane speeding, track limits and overtaking before the SC line? Sure things there, but Lando's and both of Sergio's penalties weren't deserved. That's just hard racing, I would expect to be gradually squeezed off if I hung around the outside of a corner for so long, because the inside driver is the one on the correct racing line. The time penalties should be reserved for when someone blatantly shoves another car off, turns into the other car or divebombs and makes contact.

Even one of Tsunoda's penalties seemed harsh to me, his tire was the smallest fraction over the beginning of the white pit entry line for the tiniest split second.

penalties also add points on their license, so giving them out freely for dumb or borderline shit like this can add up to a race ban for guys like Norris or Perez. They aren’t driving around dangerously or causing huge accidents like Maldonado or Grosjean were.

Jorav

Aus GP cancelled. Was hoping to make it down there but alas. Maybe another doubel header instead? Brazil is the race prior or the new Saudi track is after.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It's interesting that Brazil is still planned to go ahead, I don't think the covid situation is very good in South America.

We're probably going to end up with Bahrain's 'outer' circuit... and I would be okay with that.

Jorav

Rumours Russell @ Merc announcement during the British GP. Not holding my breath but it'll be a good move for him and Merc. So over Bottas at the moment. Hell even Marko has mentioned interest if Merc don't nab him.

Peter303

I was just checking the times for this weekends race and they've gone and messed it all up.

Friday, 16 July
First practice 14:30-15:30 BST
Qualifying 18:00-19:00 BST

Saturday, 17 July
Second practice 12:00-13:00 BST
Sprint qualifying 16:30-17:00 BST

Sunday, 18 July
Race 15:00-17:00 BST

Not sure I like this. A unavoidable crash in the sprint qualifying can mess up your race position and second practice after qualifying?

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

This new format is dumb, qualifying on the middle of Friday in the US instead of Saturday morning. Great way to build a fanbase.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
This new format is dumb, qualifying on the middle of Friday in the US instead of Saturday morning. Great way to build a fanbase.
They're probably going to tweak the weekend format if it sticks. Even here in Europe 7pm isn't perfect as many people will be thinking about going out with friends after finishing the week at work.

Sooo Merc found those lost tenths in qualifying. ;) Incredible effort from Russell, disappointing qualy from Alpha Tauri after their last performances.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Perez is going to end up with a penalty for sure, one of the Alpha Tauri's almost crashed into him at high speed when he was returning to the track.

At least Max won. :) The format itself isn't going to lead to some spectacular races imo. Unless you're gonna fuck up like Perez most drivers won't take huge risks knowing that they're not fighting for big points (or any at all) and they'll probably finish in a similar place to qualifying. Also no mandatory pitstops mean no changes thanks to good/bad strategy.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

Nice summary from one of Red Bull's twitter profiles.

edit: Looks like they removed it, they were clown face emotes. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom