• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula One Season 2021 | OT | Welcome to the Pirhana Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorav

Turned it off after the SC restart. Ver has it in the bag. He's strong in brazil and Abu-Dhabi. Ham will look back at some of his mistakes, such as Baku and Hungary.

Max has such great 4 dimensional awareness. Not only does he race fast consistently but also has enough state of mind to calculate strategy. Like with that moment where he slowed down Bottas.

Great Hair

Banned
If Bottas had blocked him, he would not have won it. Benz has to blame Bottas for not doing a good job as a team player and the car for not being top for a few races now. GG Ver on your first title (he has now 1x race "as a buffer" to fail, HAM needs to win 2+ than VER to make up for the 20+ difference).

Overall a boring track with such a long straight. I´m not a fan of that podium segment, seems that part only exists to please the crowd and to slow down the incoming cars. No other purpose.

Without the crowd, they could connect both straights with a tight fast right corner, instead of that s-chicken.

Raven117

Gold Member
yeah, I’ve gotten on board with Red Bull and max after this weekend. That team has worked hard to win and beat Mercedes head on. They deserve to win.

now, can we talk about the battle for 3rd? McLaren v ferrari has my attention!

Jorav

He monstered the sprint and did well to get into the top five. I'm hoping he wins tomorrow. Make the final races more juicer.

He did a good job but becase of so little laps, he was just burning those tires. He wont be managing them the same for full race. I say he will have a very hard time going past the 4 guys in front of him unless he takes advantage of pit stop strategy. Max for the win!

lukilladog

How can mercedes get so fast now holy shit man

Magic engine it seems, because this is too much of a leap even for the times when you were allowed to upgrade your motor. Hamilton and Toto sudenly becoming nervous on interviews, being catched cheating on visible stuff, and being directly asked if the car is legal by the likes of Herbert, isn´t helping their case. But we know something has been going on between the FIA and Mercedes for years most likely, in other times extremely dominant cars used to get slowed down for the good of the sport, but Mercedes seems protected. I expect them to get away with it.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Its a fresh engine probably turned up to the max. If I were Mercedes, I’d just put in a fresh one each of the last three races and go for wins with a 5 place grid penalty.
No way its just a new fresh engine

The car looks like its 15 km/h faster than other in straight

Theyre cooking something new there

Last edited:

FunkMiller

No way its just a new fresh engine

The car looks like its 15 km/h faster than other in straight

Theyre cooking something new there

The new engine will be quite a large part of that speed increase, but the Merc has always been great in a straight line for years due to the engine being better than anything else on the grid.

How much speed it'll have over the Red Bull in the last three races will depend on how much life Lewis took out of it with that drive over the weekend.

Sadly, I do think this championship will eventually come down to whose engine works better, rather than which driver deserves the title more for their actual driving. I'm still thinking Max has the upper hand due to the points gap, and the fact the Red Bull appears to be kinder to the engine than the Merc, but if Lewis's car maintains that level of straight line superiority, he's going to win an eighth championship.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Its a fresh engine probably turned up to the max. If I were Mercedes, I’d just put in a fresh one each of the last three races and go for wins with a 5 place grid penalty.

Two of the last three tracks are complete unknowns. It'd be too risky for them to do that, because they have no idea if straight line speed would be enough again. Also, I'd imagine the FIA would start issuing larger penalties, because it'd be obvious they were deliberately flouting the rules about engines.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

What Christian Horner Said​

Christian In Discussions With Team

Christian Horner“We got two points today and they will be vital in the championship battle, so that’s a positive. Mercedes’ speed today is no great surprise, it has been coming for a few races now. In Turkey it started to appear and in Mexico their straight-line speed was about 14km quicker than us at the end of the straight. We saw it again yesterday, and in a straight-line nobody can live with them. But tomorrow is a different race.

It looks like track conditions will be hotter and strategy will be key, we need to get a good start into turn one. We were on the medium tyres today and so we still have the softs to come, and as always in Brazil, anything can happen come race day. We’ve got to get our heads down and concentrate on what we do. We need to have both cars up there challenging for points. We are on the front row with Max and Checo is right behind him, so we are going to go for it and see what we can come away with.”

lukilladog

There are videos of hamilton pushing and pulling the wheel during the race, resurrected DAS could explain a lot, but that would be ilegal.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

TANABE: I CAN’T BELIEVE WHAT’S GOING ON WITH MERCEDES​

How ironic it is that Honda is questioning the reliability of Mercedes engines, as Lewis Hamilton took his fifth engine and a penalty that comes with it at this weekend’s Sao Paulo Grand Prix.​

The early PU was likened to “a Formula 2 engine” by Fernando Alonso, during Honda’s home Japanese Grand Prix in 2015, during the ill-fated years with McLaren which so frustrated the double F1 world champion.

But since then the Japanese auto giant, despite announcing their departure from the sport, have ramped up their package to the point that Red Bull have won ten times this season to Mercedes six victories.

While Hamilton is on engine number five, teammate Valtteri Bottas is already on his sixth power unit suggesting Mercedes may have plateaued with their performance vis-a-vis reliability.

Honda, of course, made headlines only a few years ago for F1 power unit failures and grid penalties, expressed amazement on Friday at how many engines usually rock-solid Mercedes were going through this season.

Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, who leads Hamilton by 19 points with four races to go, is meanwhile on his fourth Honda engine as is Mexican teammate Sergio Perez and they do not expect to need any more.

Commenting on the Mercedes situation, Honda F1 boss Toyoharu Tanabe told reporters: “I am very surprised with changing the ICE so frequently. Actually, I can’t believe what’s going on. From the PU manufacturer point of view, it’s kind of disappointing to get a PU penalty for the driver.”

Mercedes have won the last seven F1 Drivers’ and Constructors’ Championships, with Hamilton chasing a record eighth title this season.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Hamilton's New-Found Speed in Brazil Leaves Red Bull Searching for Answers​

1bSSXbz.jpg

Red Bull officials leave Brazil questioning Hamilton's new-found speed, stop short of threatening protest.

While Red Bull officials say that it's too early to consider protesting against Mercedes, there is concern about the "incredible" straightline speed Mercedes was producing during Sunday's Formula 1 race in Brazil.

"We need to look at where that speed comes from," said Red Bull team principal Christian Horner. "It's not normal and we need to look at it, but it's too early to protest."

Lewis Hamilton, who closed his points deficit to Max Verstappen from 19 to 14 points with his win on Sunday, had his Friday pole position taken away for a breach of the DRS rules. Red Bull also suspects that Mercedes' rear wing overly flexes.

Hamilton had no trouble overcoming a five-place grid penalty for an engine change in Brazil.

"That would be our very last resort," said Red Bull consultant Helmut Marko when asked if a protest is now on the cards. "First we would try to have the parts that we believe are not compliant changed. But we do not yet have enough facts to be able to proceed."

Marko said Mercedes has pulled off producing a rocket of a new engine for Hamilton to tackle the final races. And Marko added that where that speed is coming from is a "mystery to us. "With us, a new engine brings three to five kilowatts. Hamilton's new engine brings a good 15. Mercedes says they have an insane amount of engine wear, but that won't help us because then the championship will be over.

"Now we are trying to understand how everything works."

Marko said his preference would be a new technical directive relating to rear wing flexibility, while Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said the FIA could disassemble the wing into "a hundred parts" and still find nothing illegal.

"One directive appeared after Mercedes' request at the start of the season, so we can influence the emergence of a new one," Marko said.

Last edited:

Jorav

Zhou now in the final seat with Gio gone. Alfa will be frothing over the chinese money. Wouldn't suprise me if Merc just take a fresh engine each race, run it full beans and take the 5 spot grid penalty. RB would probably do something similar.

I mistook the stage for a box of PC parts hehe. Anyway. I have been looking forward to this event. The other sports that I’m following felt stale this year but Formula One never lets me down.

I mistook the stage for a box of PC parts hehe. Anyway. I have been looking forward to this event. The other sports that I’m following felt stale this year but Formula One never lets me down.

lukilladog

Half a second on Verstappen, ridiculous, this is fishy as hell, too much oil cartel money flowing through Mercedes and the FIA. Championship is over. Fuck, Max and RB already are the legit champions.

Last edited:

Marlenus

Half a second on Verstappen, ridiculous, this is fishy as hell, too much oil cartel money flowing through Mercedes and the FIA. Championship is over. Fuck, Max and RB already are the legit champions.

I would sell your mining rights because you are leaking so much salt you could make a fortune.

FunkMiller

No man i agree with him what mercedes are suspicious

Look at brazil hamilton sudden gain in top speed doesnt make sense

It’s evident Merc were playing silly buggers with that wing, because of the change in straight line speed difference at Qatar. But, they got away with it. That’s Formula One.

I struggle to see Max winning at this point anyway. Both tracks massively favour Lewis.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

Hamilton criticises Saudi Arabia’s “terrifying” LGBTQ+ laws and stance on women’s rights​

Lewis Hamilton described Saudi Arabia’s LGBTQ+ laws as “terrifying” and raised concerns over women’s rights in the country, which is holding its first Formula 1 race this weekend.

F1 has been accused of facilitating ‘sportswashing’ by hold a race in a country which has been criticised for its human rights record. The Mercedes driver says he feels “comfortable” in Saudi Arabia but stated it is F1’s choice to go there and not his.

Hamilton wore a new helmet with a ‘Progress Pride’ flag design at the last race in Qatar, drawing attention to a range of groups that are under-represented and discriminated against. He intends to continue wearing it this weekend and at the following round in Abu Dhabi.

“As I said at the last race, I feel that the sport and we are duty bound to make sure that we try to help raise awareness for certain issues that we see, particularly human rights, in these countries that we’re going to,” said Hamilton.

“With the utmost respect for everyone that’s here, I’ve so far had a warm welcome from the people on the ground. I can’t pretend to be the most knowledgeable or have the the deepest understanding of someone that, particularly, has grown up in the community here that is heavily affected by certain rules and the regime.

“Do I feel comfortable here? I would say I do. But it’s not my choice to be here. The sport has taken a choice to be here.

“Whether it’s right or wrong, I think whilst we are here, again, I feel like it’s important that we do try to raise awareness. So in the last race, for example, you saw the helmet that I wore. I will wear that again here and in the next race because that is an issue and is a law.

Homosexuality is illegal in Saudi Arabia and can be punished by flogging and imprisonment. “If anyone wants to take the time to go and read what the law is for the LGBTQ+ community, it’s pretty terrifying,” said Hamilton. “There’s changes that need to be made.”

Hamilton also pointed out that relaxations in some restrictions on women’s rights, including the former ban on women being allowed to drive, had not led to those who violated past laws being pardoned.

“For example, women’s rights of being able to drive [since] 2018,” he said. “Some of the women are still in prison from driving many, many years ago.

“So there’s a lot of change that needs to happen, and I think our sport needs to do more.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom