• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken did well in all regions apparently

Draugoth

Gold Member
Forspoken debuts as the #2 best-selling PlayStation Store game in Japan for January Strong results for Square Enix’s new IP

Forspoken outsold Hi-Fi rush in the US in Jan 2023​

Fo3m98dXgAAmnm5

Sony's definitely been advertising the heck out of it along with Hogwarts. Seem like I see the commercial constantly.
Hope it sells decent enough for them consider a sequel. Games gets pretty good once you get Silia's powers.....then even better after that.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Forspoken outsold Hi-Fi rush in the US in Jan 2023

I'm sure it did well (no reason why it wouldn't) but I'm not sure why Hi-Fi rush is a term of comparison? You'd imagine a game with two years of marketing and a massive pre-order campaign would sell better than one with five minutes of marketing and zero pre-orders, especially in the first few days.

Also, that table from NPD is dollar sales. Forspoken costs $70 Hi-Fi rush costs $30. It doesn't really prove what you think it proves.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Maybe on console (although is no.7 really all that for a new AAA game?), but its been out for 3 weeks and it only has 3000 user reviews on Steam which is pitiful for a big game after that amount of time. A lot of the reviews are negative too which makes people post a review when usually they wouldnt.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm sure it did well (no reason why it wouldn't) but I'm not sure why Hi-Fi rush is a term of comparison? You'd imagine a game with two years of marketing and a massive pre-order campaign would sell better than one with five minutes of marketing and zero pre-orders, especially in the first few days.

Also, that table from NPD is dollar sales. Forspoken costs $70 Hi-Fi rush costs $30. It doesn't really prove what you think it proves.

Talk to the people who insisted on comparing the two previously:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/in-t...edly-outperformed-forspoken-on-steam.1651057/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/hi-f...aunch-despite-game-pass-availability.1651027/

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Last edited:

TonyK

I don't get the comparison in sales with Hi Fi Rush, a Gamepass game. Of course it will sell more units, and?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Maybe on console (although is no.7 really all that for a new AAA game?), but its been out for 3 weeks and it only has 3000 user reviews on Steam which is pitiful for a big game after that amount of time. A lot of the reviews are negative too which makes people post a review when usually they wouldnt.
i feel like Steam should be disclosing sales figures- theyd be more of an actual force in these discussions if we could actually see how many people owned the game instead of eyeballing from reviews and SteamSpy

Stuart360

i feel like Steam should be disclosing sales figures- theyd be more of an actual force in these discussions if we could actually see how many people owned the game instead of eyeballing from reviews and SteamSpy
Just use the old tried and tested Steam trick. If a game has negative or mixed reviews, times the amount of reviews by 50.
If a game has positive or extremely positive reviews, times the amount of reviews by 100.
It can give a fairly accurate estimate for a lot of games. Before Steam Spy locked its proper estimates behind a pay wall, using that Stream trick woudl bring surprisingly accurate ballpark numbers in a lot of cases.

Sakura

7th place in the US doesn't sound very good. It's 2 below Fire Emblem Engage, which is only the physical version as well.
And as far as I am aware, Forspoken sales in Japan are less that 40k, so not sure the relevance of its position on the PSN Japan store charts.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Loved it and I can't wait for the DLC In Tanta We Trust

I put this game alongside Days Gone, The Order 1886, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Until Dawn, Ryse and Callisto Protocol. I feel like all of these are underrated

I put this game alongside Days Gone, The Order 1886, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Until Dawn, Ryse and Callisto Protocol. I feel like all of these are underrated

Yep. all of those are great comparisons. I was actually just thinking about how it reminded me of how much I loved Days Gone and how underrated that game was.

Hobbygaming

Yep. all of those are great comparisons. I was actually just thinking about how it reminded me of how much I loved Days Gone and how underrated that game was.
I was like a Days Gone ambassador at release trying to get everyone to give it a try lol I had some great moments with that game

I remember the 1st time I played Days Gone I was riding my motorcycle down this road and a group of enemies rolled a burning car down the hill to hit me and I barely dodged it. It was dynamic too which is crazy

Most people don't know the budget

Most people don't know how many copies the game sold

A lot of people haven't played the game

But the things they are saying are that: The Budget was pretty high, The game bombed and the game is trash.

How is that?

rofif

Banned
I will say. It's no Hogwarts Legacy but it's a great game in it's own right.
Some of best open world movement and combat out there honestly. Game flows very nicely.
70$ was just too much and I understand that. I do not regret my purchase at all though. Played great, looked good, ran so so...

Go_Ly_Dow

Can only see this game selling 1mil, maybe 2mil tops over the years to come. Surely a notable loss for Square.

Assuming a loss, I'm sure they can absorb it given FFXIV prints money every month and mainline FF, DQ, KH and NieR bring home the bacon, as well as their merchandise and mobile.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned

Quantum Break is a superb game.

I still need to play The Order 1886.

Ryse was repetitive trash.

What are the criticisms of Callisto Protocol? Is it really that bad?

sainraja

Ah, two bad takes make a good one.

Oh, wait. They don't.

Mind you, even if they did, a dollar sale ranking is 100% irrelevant in establishing which game sold more between two that have a 1 to 2.3 price ratio.
Dude, you asked him why the two are being compared. Many Xbox supporters were also mocking Forspoken. It is a stupid comparison, but we didn't see you speaking up then! lol

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

7th place in the US doesn't sound very good. It's 2 below Fire Emblem Engage, which is only the physical version as well.
And as far as I am aware, Forspoken sales in Japan are less that 40k, so not sure the relevance of its position on the PSN Japan store charts.
I'd say that is very impressive for Japan because Japan is basically Nintendo Switch Land at this point and it's a new IP

Strong results my ass. Seems like it did terrible numbers and deservedly so. I have zero interest in buying this game and it's usually a game type I would enjoy. It's got a damn 65 Metacritic with a 3.4 user score. People are not buying this game and I bet anything they're very disappointed in its sales. Try making a good game and maybe you'll get those sales?

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Dude, you asked him why the two are being compared. Many Xbox supporters were also mocking Forspoken. It is a stupid comparison, but we didn't see you speaking up then! lol

Unlike some, I don't spend my life on this forum and reply to every thread "lol." 😱

It's a stupid comparison period. No further elaboration or discussion is necessary.

Hobbygaming

Quantum Break is a superb game.

I still need to play The Order 1886.

Ryse was repetitive trash.

What are the criticisms of Callisto Protocol? Is it really that bad?
I think it was a few things that turned reviewers off with Callisto

1. They probably played it like a shooter instead of using effective melee

2. They probably didn't stomp the bodies for health, ammo and credits

3. Using the GRP gun with the environment hazards makes the game so much easier, reviewers most likely didn't use it that much

Top Bottom