• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken did well in all regions apparently

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Oh, you are definitely active enough when this type of comparison is being made, but oddly absent when it is the reverse. Hmm. Gotcha. lol

LOL.

Few things would make me happier than seeing Forspoken being successful since it's being unfairly attacked for fairly silly reasons, but a false and misleading comparison with another game in a completely different commercial situation on a scale doesn't provide any useful data ain't it.

Last edited:

yurinka

Yes, being a next gen only console exclusive new IP is doing a really great job

Forspoken outsold Hi-Fi rush in the US in Jan 2023​

Fo3m98dXgAAmnm5

If you want to add it: even if it was released January 24th, it ranked top 7 in NA PSN store and top 5 in EU PSN store top seller rankings for January:

In Europe -doesn't cover UK and Germany- did top 11 best seller rankings for all platforms (digital + physical):

In UK for January was top 16:

Last edited:

mdkirby

I’m not exactly getting “it sold well” from that.

It charted reasonably high (but not no1) in places during a quiet month. It managed only 7th in USA.

That’s not a stellar launch for a big budget game with a shit ton of marketing spend.

I’ve seen games chart higher that have been considered commercial flops.

Then it’s only been a month. Will it have a long tail? I doubt it.

When actual year one sales numbers are posted I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s considered a huge commercial failure. I guess we will see in due course.

sainraja

LOL.

Few things would make me happier than seeing Forspoken being successful since it's being unfairly attacked for fairly silly reasons, but a false and misleading comparison with another game in a completely different commercial situation on a scale doesn't provide any useful data ain't it.
I actually agree with you, but I don't like how you've gone about presenting it. You asked a question, and you were shown why. It is what it is....but silly none-the-less.

-Zelda-

Banned
Without numbers it doesn't mean anything.

It was also outsold in the US by year-old Elden Ring.
Ah yes. The game that got GOTY, and that has been out for a full year on 5 platforms has sold more than a game that has only been out for a month and is only on two. This is not the gotcha you foolishly believe it to be.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I actually agree with you, but I don't like how you've gone about presenting it. You asked a question, and you were shown why. It is what it is....but silly none-the-less.

I wasn't "shown why." I was given a pretty poor excuse.

"The other side of the console war is being dumb so I can be dumb too" isn't an explanation. It's an excuse.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Like it or not, that is why this thread exists and is framed the way it is.

Nah, the reason why the thread is framed the way it is (besides silly console warring) is that the OP doesn't know how to read NPD charts and thought it proved something it doesn't. 😂

So... not very good, a bad seller, and the same five people online will never shut up about wanting a sequel for the next decade? Got it.

Ever entertain the idea that by not entering Forspoken threads you might just avoid people who genuinely like the game and want a sequel? Or does the desire to troll outweigh the hate you have for hearing positive opinions?

Sigh.....shame every Forspoken thread have to devolve into this...

Last edited:

eye__writ

Banned
Lol, it seems like you've convinced a few people that Forspoken actually sold well. Bravo. :messenger_clapping:

Comparing it to a $30 GamePass game that's been received so positively that people might easily forget those facts was a nice touch.

In reality it's entered the charts beneath another console exclusive game, with the latter only including physical sales not digital.

Piss poor.

Last edited:

Doom85

LOL so a lot of people bought a bad game? it barely sold 30K at retail in Japan. And a much cheaper, less marketed, more niche game like Fire Emblem outsold it in the US.

Well, there are 120 million Switchs sold versus 32 million PS5s sold at the moment, so let’s see:

Fire Emblem Engage sold 144K in Japan.
Forspoken sold 29K in Japan.

That’s actually pretty damn good, especially given Japan has roughly 27 million Switch owners versus 2 million PS5 owners, and in that case, Forspoken actually hilariously kicked Fire Emblem‘s ass.

Tv Show Smile GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

The demo was garbage imo it turned me completely off of the game. Me and rofif rofif were hesitant but we still took the risk of buying the full release 😂 and we both enjoyed Forspoken

Same here. I was (and still am) a big supporter of Forspoken pre-release. Then I played the demo and considered canceling my pre-order. Decided to give the demo another shot and it started to click. Kept my pre-order and now I love the full game.

Kerotan

LOL so a lot of people bought a bad game? it barely sold 30K at retail in Japan. And a much cheaper, less marketed, more niche game like Fire Emblem outsold it in the US.
What a game sells at retail on PlayStation these day's has no reflection on the WW reality. That market is weird because so many ps5 get scalped to china and other Asian markets.

Glad forespoken is doing well but can't help but feel without the large Sony marketing campaign it would have failed.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Quantum Break is a superb game.

I still need to play The Order 1886.

Ryse was repetitive trash.

What are the criticisms of Callisto Protocol? Is it really that bad?
repetitive gameplay. not alot of strategy involve when fighting enemies and bosses.
Its not a bad game, but its not great either. its better to play dead space remake instead.

Perhaps CP sequel would be better (if theres any)

Last edited:

GHG

I wasn't "shown why." I was given a pretty poor excuse.

"The other side of the console war is being dumb so I can be dumb too" isn't an explanation. It's an excuse.

Absolutely nobody has said "I can be dumb too". You got an explanation, not other people's fault you don't like it. Hopefully you'll decide it's appropriate to have this level of energy against it from the start next time.

There are people who have posted in this thread saying the comparison shouldn't happen wen they were previously egging it on. Like I said, speak to those people to understand the mentality of how this came about. It was never logical from the start, and remains so.

Last edited:

OceanGaming

But there’s only a bit above twice as many PS4s sold over Xbox Ones, so no, that comparison falls flat
No, comparison Perfectly fits when some people use excuses like console ratios for game sales when it comes to their console and not when when it is the other console warriors doing it. "It's just physical sales, it sold on the digital waaay more" is another one of them.

Last edited:

Doom85

No, comparison Perfectly fits when some people use excuses like console ratios for game sales when it comes to their console and not when when it is the other console warriors doing it. "It's just physical sales, it sold on the digital waaay more" is another one of them.

Unless you have a legit reason why discussing console ratios is unfair, you’re saying nothing here.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Gaf comparing forspoken to hi-fi rush SALES lol.

Hi-fi was a shadow drop digital only game, also on gamepass. Forspoken had months of marketing, and still only hit #7 on PlayStations power month.

Take this imaginary W if that makes you feel better about forspoken being underwhelming.

At the end of the day, hi-fi is a good little game and forspoken is a big trash bag.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Same here. I was (and still am) a big supporter of Forspoken pre-release. Then I played the demo and considered canceling my pre-order. Decided to give the demo another shot and it started to click. Kept my pre-order and now I love the full game.
That sounds similar to me. I thought the trailers looked great and I was sold then the demo came and i was unsold lol then talking to some gamers who bought the game, i was sold again then I bought it

Hobbygaming

Ever entertain the idea that by not entering Forspoken threads you might just avoid people who genuinely like the game and want a sequel? Or does the desire to troll outweigh the hate you have for hearing positive opinions?

Sigh.....shame every Forspoken thread have to devolve into this...
For some reason people enjoying Forspoken gets under other's skin

Gamerguy84

That sounds similar to me. I thought the trailers looked great and I was sold then the demo came and i was unsold lol then talking to some gamers who bought the game, i was sold again then I bought it

All this riot about the game just made me buy it. Of course I listened to the internet one other time about a game called Days Gone which ended top 5 for me last gen.

In all honesty is does look good and many people on PS5 sub speak highly of it.

Hobbygaming

All this riot about the game just made me buy it. Of course I listened to the internet one other time about a game called Days Gone which ended top 5 for me last gen.

In all honesty is does look good and many people on PS5 sub speak highly of it.
The internet also persuaded me and I remember thinking to myself I almost skipped this lovely game. I'm glad you bought it

6qoRdP0.gif

Top Bottom