• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken reportedly cost $100 million to make

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
lol just bought it two days ago and today is 33% off fml...either way, game reviewers are being too harsh on this one. dialogue ya, shits so woke its whack, but the game itself, great gameplay, great graphics,

What the hell is so woke about this fantasy game?

UnNamed

Banned
I don't think just the game cost 100M, but that engine sucked money like a blackhole, and it wasn't fully finished yet despite it's development started more than 10years ago.

ZoukGalaxy

Someone must be somewhere with all that money.

Summer Beer GIF by DEEPSYSTEM

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You know what it is but they won't say it out loud.

I want to think more highly of my GAF brothers.......so I hope it's not as naked as you think it is. I'm hoping there's some deeper reason, otherwise WTH do we go from here?

AmuroChan

Not surprised at the $100m price tag honestly. Last I checked Luminous had over 150 employees. S-E is located right in Shinjuku, Tokyo. So they're paying top salaries for their talents. Add to that the game was delayed for 8 months, so that's 8 extra months of salaries that count against the game's budget. Just do the math.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I have no doubt that the game is shit, but what's woke about it?
Just because the protagonist is a black woman?
Come on, I hate woke as much as the next guy, but seriously?

Also tiresome to some Gaffers always say "go woke go broke", all while one of the most woke games released s being highly praised on this forum.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Give it time, in two years maybe they'll get a few million copies sold on Xbox.... maybe not. lol

Square better hope MS opens the coffers for some giant sweet Game Pass deal in 2025.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whatever happened to this game?
Done and forgotten.

But if Forspoken cost $100M to make, breaking even might not be that hard.

That's 2M copies sold at $70 ($50 to Square). That's $100M.

Or lets say 4M copies at an average price of $25 net proceeds over time (combo of full price sales and years of bargain bin downloads). That's $100M too.

Esppiral

Done and forgotten.

But if Forspoken cost $100M to make, breaking even might not be that hard.

That's 2M copies sold at $70 ($50 to Square). That's $100M.

Or lets say 4M copies at an average price of $25 net proceeds over time (combo of full price sales and years of bargain bin downloads). That's $100M too.
But they also need profits not only recover the development costs

Astray

Gold Member
This is why a lot of devs are moving back to using common engines like UE. For a while we had every big developer invest in the creation of their own engines in order to not pay the UE cut,

I'd wager that a lot of the dev costs (and maybe the technical issues) of Forspoken are because of the usage of Luminous engine.

Top Bottom