• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken reportedly cost $100 million to make

Gudji

Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

This is why the industry is fucked. A AAA new IP costs too much and doesn't recoup costs, then publishers want to rely on 'safe bet' sequels and remakes/ remasters.

Also, how about make it multiplatform?
And this was playing it as safe as it gets. Western writers, Marvel style dialogue, open world action RPG. The only thing safer than this is Avengers.

... fuck.

SSfox

Budget doesn't make quality, you need to have passionate people working on it and that has a real vision first and foremost.

norm9

Wouldn't have ever had time to play it, but glad Squeenix tried a new IP instead of FF Origins Lightning Returns part 2. Perhaps one day they'll strike gold again and they'll have another Chrono Trigger or Secret of Evermore on their hands, but they won't ever get there without trying.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Wouldn't have ever had time to play it, but glad Squeenix tried a new IP instead of FF Origins Lightning Returns part 2. Perhaps one day they'll strike gold again and they'll have another Chrono Trigger or Secret of Evermore on their hands, but they won't ever get there without trying.
I can see this mindset. That being said, if they were gonna take the "nothing ventured nothing gained" approach, they really should have made it less of an obvious example of "games made by committee".

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
And what was the marketing budget?

Probs another 100 million...it was everywhere....

What a shame....No one wants games to be bad. Especially a game which was a showpiece for the PS5.

TVexperto

Yeah, i would have been way more interested jn this game if it wasn’t so severely dowgraded. This is watchdogs 1/ aliens colonial marines levels of bad.
I remember the watch dogs shitstorm back then..wonder why there wasnt one about forspoken for the huge downgrade

Hugare

They could have funded a decent FF game with this money

Or a new Deus EX while they had the IP

Squuare, ffs

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Loved the trailer and marketing I gotta play it. I think gamers know games take millions to make.

Kacho

Gold Member
And what was the marketing budget?

Probs another 100 million...it was everywhere....

What a shame....No one wants games to be bad. Especially a game which was a showpiece for the PS5.
lol... there's no way way the marketing budget was 100 million. They just put out some YouTube trailers and a demo. I'm sure there was an ad on a bus somewhere but that ain't gonna add up to 100 million dollars.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
lol... there's no way way the marketing budget was 100 million. They just put out some YouTube trailers and a demo. I'm sure there was an ad on a bus somewhere but that ain't gonna add up to 100 million dollars.
it was all over twitch and youtube for like two weeks straight maybe more. I thought this had a huge times square advert but maybe im tripping...

Nope...found it

Last edited:

Schmendrick

100 million....for that garbage heap?
How? Where did the money go to? The tech is mid-last gen standard, there are no expensive celebritiy faces or anything....how do you burn 100 million on something like this?

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
When will people learn, don't believe all the rumors! I mean, how many times has Sony bought Square Enix in the past 2 decades now? 10 times?

unlurkified

If I was Sony, I would want my money back. They probably bought the exclusivity after seeing the original footage and were straight up scammed by SE at the end.

What they paid for:
58816e838e7fc16f62992efc7a4a9f28a54f85fe.gifv

7c02981561350467c7fcbb0f870b5506f4c713c3.gif

W15BUlR.gif

What they got:

tIQGF9R.jpg
At 100M, it’s baffling how it ended up getting downgraded so hard. So hard to get excited for new games now when this happens a lot.

ClosBSAS

lol just bought it two days ago and today is 33% off fml...either way, game reviewers are being too harsh on this one. dialogue ya, shits so woke its whack, but the game itself, great gameplay, great graphics,

Umbasaborne

Banned
At 100M, it’s baffling how it ended up getting downgraded so hard. So hard to get excited for new games now when this happens a lot.
I think they overestimated how powerful the ps5 would end up being for the game they wanted to make. I know something similar happened with watchdogs, where ubisoft sort of over estimated the power of the next gen consoles. I know that sounds silly to say when you look at something like horizon forbidden west, but you are moving through the world much slower in that game, and the effects aren't quite as bonkers as forspoken can be in combat

HoodWinked

don't they have all those bullshit diversity and equity grants and tax incentives and additional funding to the arts for cultural outreach. I'm sure they laundered a bunch of funds from programs like that.

probably on paper $100 million budget but with the breaks and incentives they probably made money then they also get to deduct paper losses and at worst break even.

Top Bottom