• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken review embargo is set for Monday, January 23rd at 6:00 a.m. PST

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It will review well in any case.
Yeah I agree. AAA game from a big developer and backed by a big publisher? It'll probably get better scores than it deserves.

But who cares anyway, scores are for people who don't even know what they like so someone else has to tell them.

Last edited:
I was really looking forward to this at launch, but seeing the way they discounted Valkyrie and Star Ocean like two weeks after release, I’m going to hold off for the time being. Besides, I held off on Monster Hunter Rise on PC, and am waiting to experience that for the first time starting tomorrow on ps5!

Last edited:

Jaybe

Seems common to have the reviews drop a day before. More concerning is when they are prevented from releasing until the day of release. The big positive for this game I’ve seen from the early impressions are the praising of the gameplay which sadly few games stand out at nailing what should be foundational in this medium.

Elios83

I hope it scores decently. Gameplay, combat and magic spells are really fun to use in the demo once you master the combat system a bit.
The weak point of the demo imo were the usual open world filler quests that after 10 hours are bound to become repetitive like in many open world games but if there is a strong main campaign, cool bosses and characters that won't have much impact.
We'll find out soon.

GymWolf

Yeah i can see this one scoring around 60-65-70.

Decently varied and flashy combat and fun traversal in an otherwise shitty package are not gonna be enough for most.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
When a company doesn't send review samples before launch , be it for games, movies or other products, it's because they have low expectations for it and are trying to limit consumer knowledge about it's quality.

Square-Enix limiting review codes to select outlets might be a bad sign of things to come.
As usual, better not to pre-order games and always wait for user reviews.

kadab

Another red flag for this game.
Hold On GIF

rofif

Banned
Its odd, I'm not a fan of FFXV but for all the shortcomings and what ended up being a rushed game following the project reboot, it is still technically impressive even on base PS4 and holds up today.

So with Forspoken they had a generational leap in tech to work with and 6-7 years after that released to get more out of the Luminous Engine, but it looks uneven.

Square should just go all in on UE5 now and with whatever FFXVI is using and vanquish the Luminous Studio to the abyss.
No man. Anything but unreal engine on yet another game. I love these weird custom engines

Reactions: Isa

Katajx

Gold Member
When a company doesn't send review samples before launch , be it for games, movies or other products, it's because they have low expectations for it and are trying to limit consumer knowledge about it's quality.

Square-Enix limiting review codes to select outlets might be a bad sign of things to come.
As usual, better not to pre-order games and always wait for user reviews.
I feel like it’s being treated as if it were made by their western studios that they just sold off. Trying to target the west hasn’t been working out for them.

diffusionx

Gold Member
There is absolutely no point to buying a game, any game, day one these days. You are actually negatively impacted by being excited about a game and ready to play it the day it releases. The relatively few people who actually wanted to play Forspoken were punished for it, basically, while if I wanted to play it in 3 months not only will I get it for like $30 but I will get an objectively better game. But this is true of every game.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Wondering when devs will learn. I wonder if it's investors saying, "time's up, gotta get the game out" - when it's not even done yet.
Not sure, time will tell. Maybe they thought that the game will sell because of political correctness/woke etc. Who knows. Generally I think that developers are concentrating at the wrong things nowadays.

Check Hogwarts legacy, they took their time and did not “consent” to political correctness. Their game sold like hot cake.

Top Bottom