• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FORSPOKEN | Review Thread

What Scores do you think FORSPOKEN will get?

• 0-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 46 41.4%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 85-90%

• 90-95%

• 95-100%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anothertech

I am 30 hours in. Two tantas done.
The traversal and combat are fantastic in this game. The movement powers you get are just so fun to use.
You constantly run, accelerate, jump, recover stamina, wall climb run. It’s all so fun to control.
Very much so like neon power from 2nd son but much more in depth + crackdown1.

The combat is quite in depth too and goes crazy dmc with more powers. The only problem I have is the same like infamous, which is powers redundancy. Yeah you shoot with this too but now it’s water. No difference.

The open world is amazing looking. I really like the presentation, graphics, music and cutscenes.
Yes. Frey goes all out Atreus but I am very interested where it will go.

6-7 out of 10? Kiss my ass fucking reviewers. The game open world activities are repetitive, sure. But they are fun to do…. And you don’t have to do any of it. It’s not horizon forbidden west where if you skip a side quest, you will be underleveled and suddenly dealing no damage.
I am still finding myself hooked up until 2am. That’s something.
Shame people will skip on this game. It deserves some positive attention. The charm, cats, atmosphere, movement… and then there are people bashing on garish colours and bad graphics?! What?!!! When the break storm starts, you see the clouds form and all hell breaks loose. So cool. Thank god it’s not just a blank game like everyone wants it to be
Ya, none of these guys played the game or even watched it being played. Look at the op pretending the visuals are lacking.

Some of the stuff towards end game is mind blowing visual wise.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I ended up just blowing through the game and finishing it today. I really didn't want to go back to it, but I figured I might as well finish it.

My opinion on the game hasn't changed. It isn't good. I've played worse games, but it's just totally dull. An empty world with the same packs of enemies you fight over and over. Pointless collectibles and quests that don't give you any rewards worth the effort it takes to complete them. Open world games need to offer you something worth exploring the world or tasks worth completing. This game offers neither. And the parkour isn't even that fun, and loses its luster before long.

They had a nice foundation here, but failed to execute pretty much everything else. The story and the lore was actually what I disliked least about it, I actually didn't mind the story, voice acting, and lore. It wasn't great, but it was fine. I've played worse. But the world was just utterly bland and the game beyond boring.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I put around 10 hours into the game and sold it. Movement/combat *was* fun, but the mission design and open world was god awful. The writing is some of the most cringe and painful I have listened to in years, somehow even beating the awful GoW:R. I think reviewers were too nice on this game. Easily a 4-5/10 for me.
Marc Lamont Hill Wtf GIF by Identity

-Zelda-

Banned
I am liking this game more than I thought I was going to. Everyone had me thinking this was going to be Tiny Tina levels of cringe writing. I really need to stop listening to the internet. Some of these same people told me I would like Horizon Zero Dawn and the Last of us, but I don't even want to go there.

I am liking this game more than I thought I was going to. Everyone had me thinking this was going to be Tiny Tina levels of cringe writing. I really need to stop listening to the internet. Some of these same people told me I would like Horizon Zero Dawn and the Last of us, but I don't even want to go there.
So....you havnt actually played Horizon or last of us? Two of the most acclaimed games and one of which being a similar style of game to Forspoken, and using what those people recommended (who have good taste) to somehow negate the criticism of this game...

Makes sense

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So....you havnt actually played Horizon or last of us? Two of the most acclaimed games and one of which being a similar style of game to Forspoken, and using what those people recommended (who have good taste) to somehow negate the criticism of this game...

Makes sense
This game is better than horizon games... at least the 2nd one. I like them well enough but 2nd one is so bloated and tedious and the story is presented in such a heavy exposition way… it was amazing to look at and annoying to play with how annoying carrying 10 arrow types is and how you have to scan every enemy

SkylineRKR

This game is better than horizon games... at least the 2nd one. I like them well enough but 2nd one is so bloated and tedious and the story is presented in such a heavy exposition way… it was amazing to look at and annoying to play with how annoying carrying 10 arrow types is and how you have to scan every enemy

Everything in Forspoken is lightning fast. Well, only not the main hub but you'll spend 95% outside. Load times don't exist, fast travel is the fastest I have experienced so far (its near instant, no matter where you go). Frey is very fast. And also scanning enemies is fast, another tap on scan and you see its weakness immediately.

Also the way you can change elements, with a face button + L1+R1, I feel they kind of tried to correspond with the Playstation pad. X is blue magic, Triangle is Green magic. But then red magic is on Square and not circle. And purple is not a button color. But you can change magic while fighting essentially.

Story of Forspoken is fast too. Cutscenes never take too long. Never I was thinking let me play again. Its not without faults though, the world is very barren, even villages etc (though its the plot of the game, still), enemy variety is lacking, challenge is sort of lacking too. There are some tough fights you won't win straight away and some are even still tough at max stats, but overall its a very easy game. I find its mostly fun just to nuke enemies with AoE spells.

-Zelda-

Banned

Makes sense
I did play them, an I did not like them. Good taste is subjective (EDIT: Or is is Objective? I can never remember.) . I don't care how acclaimed and loved something is by someone else, I care how I feel about it after going through it, so yeah, I do not like those game, but I do like forspoken. :)

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
I gotta say, this game isn't half bad once you adjust some of the game settings.

Playing on my PS5 and overall enjoying it. I like the world itself and the lore you find about past events.

I did shut up the cuff and the dialog cringe factor has gone drastically down. Seriously, if you don't change that setting, it will grate you.

I got through the 1st area (and Tanta) with the default settings (outside of shutting up the dialog between Cuff and Frey).

I went ahead and changed the settings to auto pick up items, instantly recharge stamina, ignore those stupid puzzles to open certain chests, lowered the damaged I take from enemies to be basically nothing.

Yeah, it's a lot of changes that make it seem like I'm cheating. But I am having a BLAST zipping around and using all the powers Frey has as I get them.

This year is definitely crowded with all time greats, but if you have some time and have a slight interest, give this a shot for the mainline story.

I'm halfway through the story and about 16 hours of play time. I don't see the 2nd half being as long as I'm toning down on a lot of the side stuff (very repetitive and not that interesting).

So far, I would give this a 3/5 (with the heavy caveat of changing a lot of the default settings).

Last edited:
Top Bottom