• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FORSPOKEN | Review Thread

What Scores do you think FORSPOKEN will get?

• 0-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 46 41.4%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 85-90%

• 90-95%

• 95-100%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just played the demo a little on PC and seems like it's running way better than on PS5 with everything maxed out plus raytracing, it goes around 45-65 at 1080p... But without RT and with "standard" graphics quality it stays between 67 and above 90 so I assume it can do 1440p at 60 with high settings, specially if I use FSR and it dynamic resolution, since I'm not using any of those

TransTrender

Gold Member
Uhhhhhhhhhh...
How much did this game cost to make?
How did it end up with such western and shitty dialogue when the Luminous Productions is in Japan and mostly Japanese?
  • OK so of 130 staff about 20 are not Japanese
  • Writer Credits: Todd Stashwick Amy Hennig Gary Whitta K-Michel Parandi Allison Rymer
How much cost again?
How much did SE spend on the Luminous Engine for it to only exist in two games? These being FFXV and Forspoken.
These are the only two products with this over a decade long period of time?
Will Luminous Productions cease to exist after this?
I'm a bit worried to find out how much this all cost because SQE will likely make some dumb cost cutting decisions after this.

Fbh

That's actually lower than I expected though not surprising after playing the demo.

Luminous keeps on delivering. Half their reason to exist is showcase the engine and not only is the game ugly as fuck, it seems to struggle in every other area too.

-Zelda-

Banned
Final Fantasy XV has some issues to be sure, but I ended up having much more fun with it than I did with this. Tried someone elses copy for a day because no way in hell was I shelling out money for this trash.

SJRB

Gold Member
Did they run out of time?

Why are these "cities" so incredibly barren? It's literally the basic building geometry and nothing else. No plants or trees, no random stuff, nothing. Looks insanely bad.

winjer

Gold Member
It's off to an impressive start on Steam, with a 41% steam user score. ufff

b6gdxm8.png

Alebrije

So Flopspoken is real now...

It seems we have a new contender for Gamepass/Plus Extra.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, sometimes I just want to watch a AAA game Hindenburg. Feels pretty good. Hopefully Squeenix jettisons luminous after this.

Go_Ly_Dow

Despite quite a few notable commercial / critical flops outside of FF, KH, DQ and NieR, its kinda amazing Square's share price is at a 5 year high before the release of XVI and VII Rebirth and with the Eidos disaster. Must be the FFXIV mega bucks.

Not sure if Ubisoft can handle another big flop or two in comparison.

yA09LM8.png
d0sHGBw.png

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
JLivxCr.png

What peak cuck looks like
Its that time of the month Jaffe has to bait people on social media for attention since it seems no game company wants to hire him. Just look at his Twitter avatar. That comes from a guy who is 51 years old.

The last games he made were GOW2 (2007), Calling All Cars (2007), TM (2012) and Drawn To Death (2017). Zero games in 6 years. And the last big one he made was 16 years ago during the PS2 era.

Put it this way, his last big hit (GOW2 in 2007) was so long ago, Facebook, YT and Twitter were just rolling out to the masses and iPhone 1 launched the same year. And Call of Duty 4 wasn't releasing until end of 2007.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member

I understand why they thought this would go down well, as there are many people who are not only like that, but like it. I just don't think many even play games remotely like this, nor want to.

And it doesn't stop it being a steaming pile of shit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To add to the posters above talking about steam, here's the link. A good site to use too because the user comments show how much time they've played it. And tons of people commenting good or bad did it at 2-3 hours game time already.

I like the game so far; I'm playing in Japanese (The English dialog is ass) it seems to fit my taste better, no over acting. The tone of the game feels different than it does in English.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I like the game so far; I'm playing in Japanese (The English dialog is ass) it seems to fit my taste better, no over acting. The tone of the game feels different than it does in English.
Yeah I got the same impression when i played the demo in JP.
Contrary to the mostly negative tone here, i don’t think forspoken is bad or even shit, it is just not very good from a technical perspective. Once it is heavily reduced i will buy and play it.

Shakka43

Its that time of the month Jaffe has to bait people on social media for attention since it seems no game company wants to hire him. Just look at his Twitter avatar. That comes from a guy who is 51 years old.

The last games he made were GOW2 (2007), Calling All Cars (2007), TM (2012) and Drawn To Death (2017). Zero games in 6 years. And the last big one he made was 16 years ago during the PS2 era.

Put it this way, his last big hit (GOW2 in 2007) was so long ago, Facebook, YT and Twitter were just rolling out to the masses and iPhone 1 launched the same year. And Call of Duty 4 wasn't releasing until end of 2007.
God of War 2 was Cory Barlog's, so you have to go back even further for his last big hit God Of War(2005). A shame he fell so hard cause he was so good back then, GOW and Twisted Metal Black will always be all time favorites for me.

GymWolf

Final Fantasy XV has some issues to be sure, but I ended up having much more fun with it than I did with this. Tried someone elses copy for a day because no way in hell was I shelling out money for this trash.
I mean, if you had fun with ff15 you should be used to have fun with trash games :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Mayar

Neo Member
I've played for 6 hours so far, to be honest, I'm already playing through my strength ...

I play on PS5 and the main pluses at the moment:

1)sometimes the combat system is funny (For the most part, not because it is good, but due to the fact that periodically, due to its curvature and the absence of some kind of AI, the enemy gets funny moments.)
2)There are zones in the game that look beautiful, but there are very few of them and strictly at a certain angle.
3)the system of acquiring new skills by killing certain opponents works well

Main cons:

1)Most of the time the game looks visually very bad, in places especially if you look into the distance at the cities this is the level of Dark Souls 2
2)Too many particles with intense fights, in fact, nothing is visible on the screen
3)Actually the game itself and the combat system, this is some kind of shit made version of - Infamous: Second Son
4)Somehow the game that came out in 2023 manages to look visually worse than the same Infamous that came out in 2014
5)Disgusting work with light and dynamic lighting, about the level of Darsk Souls 2
6)I started skipping dialogues and history as much as possible, thank God in the options you can reduce the number of dialogues for the bracelet, it's just unbearable...
7)Terrible optimization, and they lag strictly specific locations and places in strictly defined places, in other locations everything is fine

I hope that tonight I will be able to go through it to the end and forget about its existence. Fortunately, as they say, it is short for 8-9 hours.
If you rate at the moment - then this is somewhere at the level - 6.0 or 6.5 points. There is nothing special in the game, it has disgustingly written dialogues and a story. It also does not bring anything new. Those who play a lot of these games will see a lot of things that were directly taken with a minimum number of changes from the Infamous and Prototype series.

Exentryk

Tried the demo on PC.

- Game looks pretty bland. Thought that at least graphics would be a showcase, but that's not the case.
- The cuff talks too much, like commenting on every single pickup. That's not necessary and honestly annoying.
- The combat I'm still getting used to, but the one thing that really annoys me is that they are using radial menus and not just one, but two of them?! Why can't you put the spell moves on Rt or Lt + face buttons? Having to open the radial menu every time to switch spells greatly breaks the combat flow.
- Also not sure why they felt the need to have similar spells? The shield one does bullets on press, and the top spell also does bullets. Would have been better to make each one of them unique even when tapping/pressing.
- The movement feels weird and exploring the world feels boring.
- The UI has this annoying lens effect. Overall, I dislike the UI.

Overall, very disappointing. Wasn't going to buy the game anyway, so the demo just confirms it.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The best reason not to buy the game is that it is an absolute certainty it will be heavily discounted in just a couple of weeks. Come March and you'll be able to pick up the game for less than 30 euros.

Freeza93

Banned
terrible it has no charme to it, its steril and cold and AI generated. Ambient occlusion from ps 2 days, lighting from ps 3 days. Thats 80€ please.

Also why would you take the worst looking mode on Ps5 to compare? Thats stupid.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
God of War 2 was Cory Barlog's, so you have to go back even further for his last big hit God Of War(2005). A shame he fell so hard cause he was so good back then, GOW and Twisted Metal Black will always be all time favorites for me.
TM Black was a solid game. One of the first games I got in my first batch of PS2 games.

Buggy Loop

There we go. I the other "HDD" screenshot from previous posts was actually a SATA SSD

"My bad, by HDD I meant Sata SSD. The Sata SSD has read speeds of up to 600MB/sec whereas the NvME SSD has read speeds of up to 3GB/sec. You'd expect a huge difference here. That's not happening in Forspoken."

Fucking dork to mess that up.

2 minutes of loading on HDD 7200 rpm

OsirisBlack

Banned
Pretty bummed out by this. How many bombs can Square Enix throw out in a row? Does Yoshida have to carry the weight of the entire company on his back?
Honestly, it's sad but it appears so. FFXIV is their biggest consistent earner and word is he wanted to make a new MMO. The powers that be decided to add a fresh coat of paint and continue the grind. As good as FFXIV is there is a lot that could be better no real debuff class like XI every class, to include tanks and healers is some form of DPS. There is no actual role definition. The game is fun as all hell but it's very limited.

The fact that everything else is bombing puts a lot of pressure on their team for XVI.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
JLivxCr.png

What peak cuck looks like
I used to like this guy. But man has he fallen.... this is peak embarrassing at this point.

So if you don't like this game you "hate" black people, women or PlayStation? What if I like other games with black people and women in it, like Deathloop but i don't like Forspoken? Yeah thought so..

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I used to like this guy. But man has he fallen.... this is peak embarrassing at this point.

So if you don't like this game you "hate" black people, women or PlayStation? What if I like other games with black people and women in it, like Deathloop but i don't like Forspoken? Yeah thought so..
If the last big game you made was during the PS2 era when Blackberry and Samsung flip phones were the top end cellphones since iPhone 1 wasnt even released yet, you'd be desperate for attention and a job too.

GHG

Gold Member

Based on what I played of the demo and have seen this seems to be right on the money.

Will wait for $20 or under.

Top Bottom