• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FORSPOKEN | Review Thread

What Scores do you think FORSPOKEN will get?

• 0-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 46 41.4%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 85-90%

• 90-95%

• 95-100%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freeza93

Banned
It's the 3rd best seller on Amazon for PS5 games and before the standard edition of Hogwarts Legacy

mlc3lVE.jpg
Have fun with the game. But its a huge financial flop. you will hear about it in 2-3 months guaranteed.

I already want a re-do on this on a engine that isn't complete ass already.

Just look at the project athia teaser. This game had so much potential.

I just finished the game and I really liked it overall. Sure the main character is a bit weak and the side quests aren't that interesting. But the combat, controls and story are great. music is decent and the game most of the time looks excellent. There is a 120 fps vrr option too. It does take a bit to get the pacing going and I highly recommend you stick to the main storyline until you get additional moveset which makes the combat immensely more fun. I really enjoyed the combat and magic parkour. Did not run into any bugs. A little hard to recommend for $70 bucks but I really hope more people give this game a try when it goes on sale. Pretty decent package overall with some rough edges.
The high framerate option played pretty great in the demo. But still gonna wait on that ~$20-30 sale.

sandbood

Banned
It's the 3rd best seller on Amazon for PS5 games and before the standard edition of Hogwarts Legacy

mlc3lVE.jpg
Hogwarts Legacy is at number 8 on Amazon hourly best seller while Forspoken at 98.

In monthly chart Forspoken failed to chart in the top 100 best-selling video games.

Pretty dire results for AAA title in January.

Have fun with the game. But its a huge financial flop. you will hear about it in 2-3 months guaranteed.
Do the budget and sales have been revealed? I’m very interested to see it.

Some people act like they put their own money to make the game.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

Forswoken
The game really isn't woke by any stretch of the definition, I'm not of the the mind that a game is woke simply because it has a black female protagonist when that aspect really has no bearing at all on the actual game. Now if she constantly was jammering on about social justice and I'm woman hear me roar nonsense you and others would have a point. But that never happens so...

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It may have had a good weekend in sales but this game has been the butt of everyone's jokes and insults since it launched. It will be a 100 percent a critical and sales bomb.

Adverts from Sony are plastered everywhere, twitch streams I watch are caked in trailers. It is what it is, you can't have a banger with ever released but this mess is literally godfall levels of fail.

Sony will probs say to Square, give us half our money back please and it can come out on xbox next week haha.

Not that, that would help in the slightest.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Its a shame because its a really fun game with some good world building and characters. I wish FFXV was like this.

Its kind of repetitive, as with all open world games. If you want to do all side stuff that is. But this is no different from the likes of Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima.

The game really isn't woke by any stretch of the definition, I'm not ofnthd the mind that a game is woke simply because it has a black female protagonist when that aspect really has no bearing at all on the actual game. Now of she constantly was jammering on about social justice and I'm woman hear me roar nonsense you and others would have a point. But that never happens so...

Yeah the reveal was suspect but there is nothing woke in this game. She just happens to be a black female protag but this subject is never discussed in the game. She speaks about her troubled youth as an orphan, and its not because of her gender or race.

The rulers of Athia are females but they went insane and your goal is to simply off them. Its as if Square deliberately evaded all the woke things for this game.

Last edited:
The game really isn't woke by any stretch of the definition, I'm not of the the mind that a game is woke simply because it has a black female protagonist when that aspect really has no bearing at all on the actual game. Now if she constantly was jammering on about social justice and I'm woman hear me roar nonsense you and others would have a point. But that never happens so...

I agree, was a bad joke...I just said cose...Looks woke lol!

Protagonist being black has nothing to do with it! Games always had male and female black characters! Its about the design, i dunno lol

But i apologize!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It may have had a good weekend in sales but this game has been the butt of everyone's jokes and insults since it launched. It will be a 100 percent a critical and sales bomb.

Adverts from Sony are plastered everywhere, twitch streams I watch are caked in trailers. It is what it is, you can't have a banger with ever released but this mess is literally godfall levels of fail.

Sony will probs say to Square, give us half our money back please and it can come out on xbox next week haha.

Not that, that would help in the slightest.

I'll never understand the need to gloat over a game that turned out bad.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'll never understand the need to gloat over a game that turned out bad.

I completely agree, if my post came across as gloating that is not the case in the slightest.

No one should want a game to be bad, I want every game to be amazing and if they were the world would be a better place. Unfortunately, that is not the case and fans on both sides of the "wars" are seething when somethings good on their "competing" box.

We've seen it this last week and a half with the release of a truly great game.

Topher

Gold Member
I completely agree, if my post came across as gloating that is not the case in the slightest.

No one should want a game to be bad, I want every game to be amazing and if they were the world would be a better place. Unfortunately, that is not the case and fans on both sides of the "wars" are seething when somethings good on their "competing" box.

We've seen it this last week and a half with the release of a truly great game.

Gloating when somethings bad on the "competing" box isn't any different than "seething" when it is something good. I'm sure those you interpret to be "seething" would deny it as well.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The biggest issue I have with the game is there is never a good payoff for exploring. You run around and find a mob guarding a chest with a crappy item in it… run some more find another mob guarding a chest with a crappy item in it. Oh look cool looking ruin! Nope just a mob guarding a chest with a crappy item in it. 😢

Last edited:

GymWolf

The biggest issue I have with the gave is there is never a good payoff for exploring. You run around and find a mob guarding a chest with a crappy item in it… run some more find another mob guarding a chest with a crappy item in it. Oh look cool looking ruin! Nope just a mob guarding a chest with a crappy item in it. 😢
The only big rewards for exploration are the traversal powers you find in some places and a lot of secret boss fights.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The biggest issue I have with the game is there is never a good payoff for exploring. You run around and find a mob guarding a chest with a crappy item in it… run some more find another mob guarding a chest with a crappy item in it. Oh look cool looking ruin! Nope just a mob guarding a chest with a crappy item in it. 😢
For me, traversal is akin to crackdown with orbs collecting.
The reward is nice views, some items and some bosses that are too hard for me to beat lol

I honestly went into this game with super low expectations, while I haven't paid for it I've played the demo and I was surprised that it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the internet is making out. I did notice alot of warriors trying to shit on it abit too hard.

I felt the demo gave quite a few options from the start and could be quite fun with the magic. I haven't finished the demo yet, but the cringe talking wasn't as bad as it's being made out.

Not sure I'd buy it full price.

Last edited:

Elios83

Game is great, I'm now close to the second Tantha in the region that was in the demo.
They really nailed the traversal and the spell based combats, it's really fun and the combos you can make are amazing.
The story is fine, it keeps you enganged but clearly they're no Naughty Dog in story telling and writing.
This game simply got robbed by a negativity campaign that started well before the launch.
It's no masterpiece but there's zero reson why the metascore should be lower than 80.
It just happens that in the faulted review system the gaming industry has sometimes a few games become easy targets.
It happened to Days Gone as well.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Game is great, I'm now close to the second Tantha in the region that was in the demo.
They really nailed the traversal and the spell based combats, it's really fun and the combos you can make are amazing.
The story is fine, it keeps you enganged but clearly they're no Naughty Dog in story telling and writing.
This game simply got robbed by a negativity campaign that started well before the launch.
It's no masterpiece but there's zero reson why the metascore should be lower than 80.
It just happens that in the faulted review system the gaming industry has sometimes a few games become easy targets.
Majority of writing is onestly not worse than your average banter between nate and sully or nate and his shitty brother or ragnarock in the scenes with angrboda or thor's daughter that speaks like shitty millennials.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It's all true. In a few months we'll be hearing that Forspoken is actually good just like with Days Gone

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This one is gonna be harder to sell because the protagonist is way more hated than deacon was.
I also agree with this. Those out of context videos shared all over the internet really hurt this game. While playing through it I have yet to wanna put the controller down over some dialogue and I'm 28 hours in

One of my favorite aspects so far, 4 hours in, is the challenges that boost existing spells. I find myself learning how to better use them since it often requires you perform spell specific actions.

One of my least favorite aspects so far, 4 hours in, is the targeting system. It doesn’t seem to let you R3 and lock while pressing L2. I tend to charge up a spell while hard aiming, and it generally takes me a moment to realize I was pressing L2 ahead of my R3, so I let off the charge, to redo the action. I still haven’t worked out of this habit.

anothertech

Should I explore everything or rush to Sila to get new spells and then explore back ?
rofif rofif Rush the first 2 tanthas, then take a break and explore.

You have to manually unlock the traversal power so just go into the icons with the ? In your magic menu to see where you have to go to get them, do that first thing when you get a new set of power.
Ya pretty much this. I wanted to get traversal asap.

The combat and combos with spells is my favorite part

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ya pretty much this. I wanted to get traversal asap.

The combat and combos with spells is my favorite part
I am 30 hours in. Two tantas done.
The traversal and combat are fantastic in this game. The movement powers you get are just so fun to use.
You constantly run, accelerate, jump, recover stamina, wall climb run. It’s all so fun to control.
Very much so like neon power from 2nd son but much more in depth + crackdown1.

The combat is quite in depth too and goes crazy dmc with more powers. The only problem I have is the same like infamous, which is powers redundancy. Yeah you shoot with this too but now it’s water. No difference.

The open world is amazing looking. I really like the presentation, graphics, music and cutscenes.
Yes. Frey goes all out Atreus but I am very interested where it will go.

6-7 out of 10? Kiss my ass fucking reviewers. The game open world activities are repetitive, sure. But they are fun to do…. And you don’t have to do any of it. It’s not horizon forbidden west where if you skip a side quest, you will be underleveled and suddenly dealing no damage.
I am still finding myself hooked up until 2am. That’s something.
Shame people will skip on this game. It deserves some positive attention. The charm, cats, atmosphere, movement… and then there are people bashing on garish colours and bad graphics?! What?!!! When the break storm starts, you see the clouds form and all hell breaks loose. So cool. Thank god it’s not just a blank game like everyone wants it to be

Last edited:
This game deserved the commercial success it has so far which is selling lower than this game despite having more days on the market.
SoSAWL_TopBanner_2.1.jpg
Yeah, let’s not pretend that Forspoken was sold on a system with an install base of about 2.5 m units compared to SoS on a system with install base of 28m+. (At least in Japan)…… and without bad reviews and bad word of mouth and a lot of undeserved hate.

Fair comparison…..

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am 30 hours in. Two tantas done.
The traversal and combat are fantastic in this game. The movement powers you get are just so fun to use.
You constantly run, accelerate, jump, recover stamina, wall climb run. It’s all so fun to control.
Very much so like neon power from 2nd son but much more in depth + crackdown1.

The combat is quite in depth too and goes crazy dmc with more powers. The only problem I have is the same like infamous, which is powers redundancy. Yeah you shoot with this too but now it’s water. No difference.

The open world is amazing looking. I really like the presentation, graphics, music and cutscenes.
Yes. Grey goes all out Atreus but I am very interested where it will go.

6-7 out of 10? Kiss my ass fucking reviewers. The game open world activities are repetitive, sure. But they are fun to do…. And you don’t have to do any of it. It’s not horizon forbidden west where if you skip a side quest, you will be underleveled and suddenly dealing no damage.
I am still finding myself hooked up until 2am. That’s something.
Shame people will skip on this game. It deserves some positive attention. The charm, cats, atmosphere, movement… and the. There are people bashing on garish colours and bad graphics?! What?!!! When the break storm starts, you see the clouds form and all hell breaks loose. Soo cool. Than god it’s not just a blank game like everyone wants it to be

I put around 10 hours into the game and sold it. Movement/combat *was* fun, but the mission design and open world was god awful. The writing is some of the most cringe and painful I have listened to in years, somehow even beating the awful GoW:R. I think reviewers were too nice on this game. Easily a 4-5/10 for me.

SkylineRKR

I am at the endgame and I have fun with it. The story is decent, and ramps up later in the game but then it kind of funnels you to the last battle though you can peace out for the time being. You do get one move set too late because of this.

I would advise hard mode though. The game is easy enough as is and I guess on Normal you don't even really need to craft?

Traversal and moment to moment gameplay is really good. If you set parkour to semi-auto you can let go off O after a second and you have you hands free to do other stuff like shimmy which will increase your travel speed. In this game its fun to stop when enemies are around, just to nuke them with spells and move on.

Top Bottom