• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Chapter 4 to utilise Unreal Engine 5.1 (Nanite, Lumen, Virtual Shadow Maps, Global Illumination, Ray Tracing, TSR)

Banjo64

cumsessed
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...-by-unreal-engine-5-1?sessionInvalidated=true

Fortnite Battle Royale Chapter 4 is here! With the release of the new Chapter, Fortnite Battle Royale now makes use of Unreal Engine 5’s newest, most innovative features, via Unreal Engine 5.1.

Unreal Engine 5 ushers in a generational leap in visual fidelity, bringing an unprecedented level of detail to game worlds like the Battle Royale Island. Next-gen Unreal Engine 5 features such as Nanite, Lumen, Virtual Shadow Maps, and Temporal Super Resolution are now available in Fortnite Battle Royale on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PC, and cloud gaming!

NANITE, LUMEN, VIRTUAL SHADOW MAPS, AND TEMPORAL SUPER RESOLUTION - IN DETAIL​

So what do these UE5 features do in Fortnite Battle Royale exactly? You can read the technical explanations below, or just skip to the pictures!

NANITE​

Nanite provides highly-detailed architectural geometry. Specifically, buildings are rendered from millions of polygons in real time, and each brick, stone, wood plank, and wall trim is modeled.

Natural landscapes are highly-detailed too. Individual trees have around 300,000 polygons, and each stone, flower, and blade of grass is modeled.

LUMEN​

Lumen reflections provide high-quality ray traced reflections on glossy materials and water.

Also, Lumen provides real-time global illumination at 60 FPS. You’ll see beautiful interior spaces with bounce lighting, plus characters reacting to the lighting of their surroundings. (For example, red rugs may bounce red light onto your Outfit.) Also, Outfits that have emissive (a.k.a. glowing) qualities will scatter light on nearby objects and surfaces.

VIRTUAL SHADOW MAPS​

Virtual Shadow Maps allow for highly detailed shadowing. Each brick, leaf, and modeled detailwill cast a shadow, and character self-shadowing is extremely accurate. This means that things like hats and other small details on characters will also cast shadows.

TEMPORAL SUPER RESOLUTION (TSR)​

Temporal Super Resolution is an upgrade over Temporal Anti-Aliasing in Fortnite, and allows for high-quality visuals at a high framerate.

FORTNITE UNREAL ENGINE 5: IMAGE SHOWCASE​

Fortnite Unreal Engine 5.1 Screenshot 1

Fortnite Unreal Engine 5.1 Screenshot 2

Fortnite Unreal Engine 5.1 Screenshot 3

Fortnite Unreal Engine 5.1 Screenshot 4

Salz01

Man, just saw it in game. Everything looks great. One of the better looking games out there. New map is pretty awesome. I hope one season we can swim under water though. I

Reactions: Isa
It never stops being disappointing that the game from Epic that took off had to be a fucking Fortnite
I will never understand why people hate fortnite. It's a fantastic game, can be addicting, has some of the best cosmetics and cross overs in the business and is free 2 play and has the best live service support that brings in new gameplay toys and creativity every season. Great shooting and good use of the engine. I am glad it exists.

Last edited:
Wow cool. I just saw Geralt is in the game this season so I'm going to actually play it again for the first time in a long while.

I'll check out the new visuals :)

I will never understand why people hate fortnite. It's a fantastic game, can be addicting, has some of the best cosmetics and cross overs in the business and is free 2 play and has the best live service support that brings in new gameplay toys and creativity every season. Great shooting and good use of the engine. I am glad it exists.
Even if you don't like Fortnite it is always going to be first to show off new features of Unreal Engine.

I like the game but I don't play a lot. It's a fun game and if people don't like it then they should go play something they do like and not waste so much energy telling people how much they hate it.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
That is some pretty Epic rendering right there. When placed in the right artist, it really takes on looking like CGI.

Darsxx82

Say what you want about the game but this is the first example of this tech that I know of for PS5/Series consoles.

Season is live now, might check this out later.
The Matrix demo is more demanding and shows that same technology and also RT Hardware.

Fornite UE 5.1 on consoles does not use HRT (it is only an option on the PC version), probably because it is incompatible with the 60fps target un Fornite.

That said, it's good news that there is already a first game with Nanite and Lumen on the market on consoles.

Dibils2k

wait its out now? those pics look incredible, i am downloading now

i know they had a co-op mode, is that still around with these new visuals?

played for a bit and the game noticeably looks much better. even without raytracing it still has that "raytraced" look about it. the new settings are for real.

unfortunately i was playing at 40-70fps without raytracing (and ~30-40 with it). the new settings are demanding it seems. it's funny that of all games Fortnite is one of the games hitting my GPU hardest. it's up there with the likes of Cyberpunk and Flight Sim now lol.

im going to need to turn my settings down a bit more to get anywhere near 120-160fps which is where my monitor is best.

edit: it seems DLSS is once again missing. hopefully they add it back in. that shit is a life saver.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

played for a bit and the game noticeably looks much better. even without raytracing it still has that "raytraced" look about it. the new settings are for real.

unfortunately i was playing at 40-70fps without raytracing (and ~30-40 with it). the new settings are demanding it seems. it's funny that of all games Fortnite is one of the games hitting my GPU hardest. it's up there with the likes of Cyberpunk and Flight Sim now lol.

im going to need to turn my settings down a bit more to get anywhere near 120-160fps which is where my monitor is best.

edit: it seems DLSS is once again missing. hopefully they add it back in. that shit is a life saver.
Is it missing? I was assuming it was present as "Temporal Super Resolution" as the adjustment settings are on par with what you'd see via DLSS settings.

Is it missing? I was assuming it was present as "Temporal Super Resolution" as the adjustment settings are on par with what you'd see via DLSS settings.
i don't know. last time i played there was a DLSS option and i know at the start of that season it was missing for a while so i assumed it was out again.

MiguelItUp

i don't know. last time i played there was a DLSS option and i know at the start of that season it was missing for a while so i assumed it was out again.
Yeah, I was just looking for it and saw TSR and wondered if it was replaced with it. I don't think I remember TSR being present like that before. Odd regardless, because it's claimed DLSS is present, and it used to be mentioned in the menus themselves.

TrebleShot

Interesting I’ll check this out. Haven’t played in years as it wasn’t my jam but interested in this new tech and hear the game is quite fun now.

splattered

I got burnt out and skipped 2 or 4 seasons haha ... maybe time to jump back in and check out engine update and the battlepass stuff?

SomeGit

Tried it out a bit, with HRT, looks better. Lightning looks great in some spots but most times really didn't look substantially better from what I remember, there's a mixture of great assets and some that I would guess it's older assets that don't mix quite too well. Textures aren't really that great, you don't have to look hard to find some that are very low res. There's also very little pop up when falling from the bus, which is nice.

But honestly didn't find any really substantial improvement especially for the big performance impact, it looks better but the claims I'm seeing here (like CGI like, photorealistic, etc) are way off from what I'm seeing outside of a few spots.
It doesn't help that TSR is terrible, even at 1440p on the Native setting, it blurs everything on the screen to the point of it all looking like a mess. No AA for me, I'd rather have jaggies that this blurred mess.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

Agreed. The building started to spiral out of control for a while there, but now that they added no build modes i have no complaints.

Banned
I tried it... reflections on water are not raytraced in any way no matter if I use software or hardware lumen.

the old version with the old UE4 raytracing implementation had RT reflections on water and they looked pretty good.

also shader compilation stutters are still a thing, UE5.1 was supposed to reduce these but it seems like it did literally nothing, still a mess for the first 3 or 4 matches.

Nanite I haven't looked into, but I'll check that out more too, I wonder if it actually had any real affect in a game with such a low poly look to it.

THEY ALSO REMOVED DLSS FOR NO APPARENT REASON, and now only let you use TSR for upsampling

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I like the little single player story snippets before each chapter more than the battle royale game itself.

Maybe enough years of these together will be a decent short single player experience lol. Remember when it was supposed to have a full campaign, revealed at an Apple keynote no less? I know there's the save the world pve coop thing but these new story snippets are the only part I really like, BRs are mostly boring to me

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I kind of liked this game when it initially launched as a PvE, but I dropped it immediately when they went battle royal. I fucking hate BR's.

I wonder if they even have pve anymore... haven't played in years.

As much as I hate what Epic are doing with their store exclusivity, I gotta give it up to UE5. This engine is gorgeous and extremely powerful. They're solving problems that real-time game rendering has had since the beginning and I couldn't be happier to see it. I used to map for Unreal engine 1 and 2 (among other game engines) and what they're doing here has me pretty excited and interested to hop in and get back to that creative side of this hobby for me.

Top Bottom