• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Chapter 4 to utilise Unreal Engine 5.1 (Nanite, Lumen, Virtual Shadow Maps, Global Illumination, Ray Tracing, TSR)

Banned
I tried it... reflections on water are not raytraced in any way no matter if I use software or hardware lumen.

update, you have to have Lumen GI on of Lumen reflections will not work... that is kinda weird and should honestly be adressed in an update...

Buggy Loop

Finally

About time this tech shows up.

Bye bye baked lights. Always on RT is always by default with Lumen. Software Lumen is not triangle based but who cares, it’s a better solution to whatever was before and devs get rid of all these static lights. Hardware Lumen with RT will be in every PC unreal 5 games. It’s built in.

Hugh Jackman Reaction GIF

Last edited:
I will never understand why people hate fortnite. It's a fantastic game, can be addicting, has some of the best cosmetics and cross overs in the business and is free 2 play and has the best live service support that brings in new gameplay toys and creativity every season. Great shooting and good use of the engine. I am glad it exists.
This. I don’t like it but a lot of people do and there is always some new, they never stop making it better.

That's like saying angry birds is using Unreal engine. Cheesus when will we get any real UE 5 games?
This is amazing. Fortnite is developed by Epic and they own the engine. They will no doubt be the best ones to understand how to get the most out of their engine.

It looks amazing but I can’t fucking stand the game. I’m looking forward to seeing how other developers use the technology.

Buggy Loop

Do I need to turn hardware raytracing on or will the engine just sort it with lumen?

Lumen by itself is pretty neat, it’s an RT solution but still requires help for screen space reflection and other approximation. Turning Lumen + RT will basically have higher accuracy lumen (HW accelerated too)

Off, SSR/Ambient Occulsion = Lumen Off

High, Epic = Lumen On

When Lumen On + Hardware Raytracing On = Full version of Lumen

Can’t wait to see DF’s video on this. Bye bye pop ins with nanite? Less VRAM use for the LOD assets??

Last edited:

splattered

First match wife and i played with our daughter we won, then proceeded to get 2nd-5th for all the remaining matches. First match we were cautious, the rest just goof off and explore the map. Game still a lot of fun esp the no build mode. I can get burnt out on this fairly easy though, even more so than COD for some reason.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Fantastic. As I've said before, software innovation will allow developers to do amazing things presumed to be impossible. Can't wait to see the next gen proprietary engines from in-house studios; perhaps at the game awards.

I kind of liked this game when it initially launched as a PvE, but I dropped it immediately when they went battle royal. I fucking hate BR's.

I wonder if they even have pve anymore... haven't played in years.
It's still there. They've updated it for years and had a dungeons mode incorporated as the last big update. The big issue is that many casual players won't know this, because this year they buried the mode under BR's selectable menus instead of it being front and center option when you start the game(like it used to be). So a ton of those players left or moved on to BR. The co-op matchmaking queues are way longer because of this and from someone who was playing it almost daily before this year, it's all very upsetting.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lumen by itself is pretty neat, it’s an RT solution but still requires help for screen space reflection and other approximation. Turning Lumen + RT will basically have higher accuracy lumen (HE accelerated RT)

Off, SSR/Ambient Occulsion = Lumen Off

High, Epic = Lumen On

When Lumen On + Hardware Raytracing On = Full version of Lumen

Can’t wait to see DF’s video on this. Bye bye pop ins with nanite? Less VRAM use for the LOD assets??

Gonna give my 4090 a workout tomorrow. Pretty hyped. Thx

Last edited:

NANITE​

Nanite provides highly-detailed architectural geometry. Specifically, buildings are rendered from millions of polygons in real time, and each brick, stone, wood plank, and wall trim is modeled.

Natural landscapes are highly-detailed too. Individual trees have around 300,000 polygons, and each stone, flower, and blade of grass is modeled.
What’s the geometry looking like in the actual game?

Ok it looks better than usual but "INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE" is a bit of a stretch lol.
Looks INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE.
Hopefully this is a good analogy: If all you did was play World of Warcraft every day since 2004 and didn't really care about other video games, if you were shown the new graphical updates, in-game cutscene changes, new physics updates, etc. when Cataclysm was being previewed before it came out...as a WoW only player you would think these gigantic changes looked insanely good.

Hawk269

So if I download this today on my Series X it is the Unreal 5 engine version? I don't play this game, but want to check out the pretties.

3liteDragon

Took some nice pics but the PS App is struggling to download them. F.
Holy shit I thought it was just me, I recently upgraded to a new phone so I thought it was that. Is there a way to fix this shit? I was taking test screenshots to check, the CoD shots took A DAY to load. My captures used to load on the app immediately after it's done uploading from my PS5. Idk what the issue is.

IMG_1818.png

IMG_1821.png

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Holy shit I thought it was just me, I recently upgraded to a new phone so I thought it was that. Is there a way to fix this shit? I was taking test screenshots to check, the CoD shots took A DAY to load. My captures used to load on the app immediately after it's done uploading from my PS5. Idk what the issue is.

IMG_1818.png

IMG_1821.png
No idea, have tried on and off all morning.
I just get this.
XNgiKrl.jpg

bender

What time is it?
Hopefully this is a good analogy: If all you did was play World of Warcraft every day since 2004 and didn't really care about other video games, if you were shown the new graphical updates, in-game cutscene changes, new physics updates, etc. when Cataclysm was being previewed before it came out...as a WoW only player you would think these gigantic changes looked insanely good.

What is World of Warcraft?

Top Bottom