• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Chapter 4 to utilise Unreal Engine 5.1 (Nanite, Lumen, Virtual Shadow Maps, Global Illumination, Ray Tracing, TSR)

FritzJ92

Yea, some of these 'free' games generate more money than most AAA releases. Fortnite definitely being one of them.

What amazes me is that they apparently ported this game from some UE4 version very easily to UE5 with all its features present. That's pretty wild.

Seeing this in action makes it not so hard to grasp why many studio's are leaning towards this engine. Even big developers like CDProjekt Red just ditched their own engine..
While I’m happy many devs are picking up UE5.+. I hope more studios still develop in-house engines. Especially 1P. What some of Sonys studios and PG has accomplished with internal tools is amazing!!

Hugare

It's gorgeous, but I wonder if the beautiful graphics can get in your way when trying to spot enemies and etc.

Interiors are really dark now. When before you could easily spot an enemy hiding behind some stairs, now he will be in complete shadow

The amount of geometry, specially from trees now, is staggering, so spotting distant enemies can be a little more difficult than before

Interfectum

It's gorgeous, but I wonder if the beautiful graphics can get in your way when trying to spot enemies and etc.

Interiors are really dark now. When before you could easily spot an enemy hiding behind some stairs, now he will be in complete shadow

The amount of geometry, specially from trees now, is staggering, so spotting distant enemies can be a little more difficult than before
If you are the one hiding it's not a problem. :)

There's even a perk now for hiding in the bushes.

Last edited:

Banned
Nah on PC

well on PC you have to play for like 4 or 5 matches to get rid of the shader compilation stutters, since... you know... Unreal Engine shit...

and also try using TSR balanced, looks good and gives a big performance boost.

Interfectum

But if my enemy is playing on PS4/PS5 Performance or PC low settings he will see me, lol

So yeah, it may be a problem.
Most players are kids bunny hoping around in their new anime skins. I can usually get to top 3 no problem with stealth. It's those final two dudes who are loaded with shit to the brim that are hard to take out.

Salz01

Most players are kids bunny hoping around in their new anime skins. I can usually get to top 3 no problem with stealth. It's those final two dudes who are loaded with shit to the brim that are hard to take out.
I chuckled. Because I feel the same lol….

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Since Series S is running Lumen/Nanite at 60fps, surely the bigger consoles have decent amount of performance left on the table. Are there any comparisons between SS and PS5/SX out there?

Since Series S is running Lumen/Nanite at 60fps, surely the bigger consoles have decent amount of performance left on the table. Are there any comparisons between SS and PS5/SX out there?
I'm on the Series X and my daughter plays on the S. There's definitely some cutbacks in Lumen and Nanite on the Series S from what I can see.

Banned

well I bet the high end consoles run higher lumen settings.

but a 120fps mode with lumen would be a cool option..maybe cutting the resolution down to a dynamic 1080p

TSR should be able to upsample that nicely to 1440p

Bragr

Banned
It takes about 3-4 minutes until it "sets" and stops having these lag spikes, anyone else notices the lag spikes early on?

sachos

I knew as soon as i went to see the replies to that Tweet that there would be people saying Season 1 is better. Can't wait to see DF comparison video, they know what to look for and how to properly showcase the differences, not pointing at some random bush lol (even though you can still see its better there too)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I knew as soon as i went to see the replies to that Tweet that there would be people saying Season 1 is better. Can't wait to see DF comparison video, they know what to look for and how to properly showcase the differences, not pointing at some random bush lol (even though you can still see its better there too)
Some people are blind and stupid.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Some people are blind and stupid.
Animated GIF

sachos

I think people just got used to fake lighting in games so they are shocked at what stuff actually should look like. In this particular case i think they think the Season 4 bush is worse because its not as shiny, fialing to realize its shaded like that because the POV of the pic is from the oposite direction of the light source.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think people just got used to fake lighting in games so they are shocked at what stuff actually should look like. In this particular case i think they think the Season 4 bush is worse because its not as shiny, fialing to realize its shaded like that because the POV of the pic is from the oposite direction of the light source.
The bush definitely has highlights on the more natural looking leaves.
FjPnBtxWYAMvOOt

When I play on PS5, HDR is supported and the character screen where you load up has a castle in the background. When I play on my Series X, no HDR and no castle in background. What gives?

Last edited:

Banned
01011001 01011001 said Series X has movement issues as well.

every version has that and had that for multiple seasons.

I demonstrated an issue with a video from the PC version earlier.
I also get these on android, Switch and PS5. although I don't play these versions regularly.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

every version has that and had that for multiple seasons.

I demonstrated an issue with a video from the PC version earlier.
I also get these on android, Switch and PS5. although I don't play these versions regularly.
Could it be an internet connection issue?

Banned
Could it be an internet connection issue?

nope, no other games have any issues like this.

the game simply has an issue syncing your character with the server. the netcode was not originally made with the advanced movement you have in the game nowadays in mind

Last edited:

bitbydeath

nope, no other games have any issues like this.

the game simply has an issue syncing your character with the server. the netcode was not originally made with the advanced movement you have in the game nowadays in mind
Strange it’s only happening for you though.

Banned
Strange it’s only happening for you though.

it's not, I have seen similar stuff in videos/streams of the game.

it's also happening to you, you just either don't notice it or ignore it.

it's not always as extreme as in the video I posted, it's usually smaller but equally annoying small hitches in your character's movement.

in extreme cases a jump or climb will not get registered, that's rarer but also almost certainly a desync due to the netcode not keeping up with all the slides, jumps and climb animations.

the more common little things are that your slide animations feel stuttery, your dash animation through doors triggering even tho the door doesn't open etc.

it's not only happening for me, and it's not only on a single system. it also doesn't happen for me in any other game.

bitbydeath

it's not, I have seen similar stuff in videos/streams of the game.

it's also happening to you, you just either don't notice it or ignore it.

it's not always as extreme as in the video I posted, it's usually smaller but equally annoying small hitches in your character's movement.

in extreme cases a jump or climb will not get registered, that's rarer but also almost certainly a desync due to the netcode not keeping up with all the slides, jumps and climb animations.

the more common little things are that your slide animations feel stuttery, your dash animation through doors triggering even tho the door doesn't open etc.

it's not only happening for me, and it's not only on a single system. it also doesn't happen for me in any other game.
Can’t say I’ve ever experienced it, but would be interested to hear if anyone else here has.

Lethal01

I think people just got used to fake lighting in games so they are shocked at what stuff actually should look like.

Not really, people know stylized games don't look how they are realistically supposed to, for many, that's the appeal of them.
sometimes a totally flat bush with a random rim light that's not actually being being cast by anything just looks prettier than a real bush.

manfestival

wait so the comparison pictures are just ray tracing on and off right? I turned on the game last night to see. I wasnt quite blown away but the game definitely has improved visually. Even the performance aspect of it. First match was chopy from what I assume the assets getting stored in memory but everything was smooth after.

splattered

The one thing that still irritates me about this game is that your hired AI companions can't revive you if there are no surrounding threats... i was just spinning around on the floor with no enemies near me and my AI was running around like a doofus not helping me.

MMaRsu

Banned
Anyone want a Turkish Xbox code for Checkered Past + 600 vbucks? Im not in the correct region and accidentally bought the code.

Also I redeemed a EU Xbox Checkered Past code on the Xbox store, but I play on pc. I thought if you redeem on Xbox since its cross progression Id get the content on pc but I dont see it anywhere :(

Top Bottom