• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite gets gyro controls and flick stick on PS4, PS5, and PC

onQ123

Epic Games is bringing gyro-based motion controls for Fortnite to the PS4, PS5, and PC today. Gyro controls have existed on the Nintendo Switch and Android previously, and this new expansion to PlayStation and PC includes more robust gyro controls and a new flick stick option.

Gyro controls allow you to control the camera in Fortnite by simply turning your controller. That means you can couple gyro controls with traditional stick aiming to improve precision and movement throughout Fortnite. Epic Games has also worked with flick stick creator Julian “Jibb” Smart to add more gyro controls and the flick stick option that will quickly flick the camera to a certain direction with mouse-like speed.

There are now separate combat and building modes, allowing Fortnite players to fully customize gyro controls and have them active only when aiming scoped weapons, or options to disable gyro when building. The customizability will appeal to seasoned Fortnite gyro players, and even those wanting to try out gyro controls for the first time.

Epic Games has a full list of Fortnite gyro controls tips and customization right here, but be warned gyro aiming disables aim assist wherever gyro is active. Both the DualShock 4 and DualSense controllers will be supported for gyro controls on PC, and Nintendo Switch players can continue to use gyro with the Joy-Con controllers or the Pro controller. Android players can use gyro with the built-in mobile controls

ParaSeoul

Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

Kabelly

genuinely huge. would love to see this on apex since buying a pc right now is a bitch. I love the game ay of apex but have never actually played the game because of stick controls.

Soodanim

In terms of player bases adopting different/new controller/aiming styles, this is going straight to the top. Once the YouTubers and streamers start encouraging people to get used to flick stick, there's the potential for it to catch on. It's an interesting way to play. I don't think it will be industry changing by any means, but introducing a niche control method to such a wide audience is interesting if nothing else.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So I basically have to change to this right? If I want to be as effective as possible? Any idea how long it takes to get used to?

Kabelly

So I basically have to change to this right? If I want to be as effective as possible? Any idea how long it takes to get used to?
just play in the creative mode or whatever. i'm still finding the right settings. and i think something is glitched in the custom controls options because i cant edit a wall.

Kabelly

Been playing around with the settings and it's not bad. Some drift or auto calbration issue though but i've bound a reset camera button. I still think Splatoon's is more stable atm. But I have won a few games so far. I am playing with other noobs most likely but still nice to finally have. Flick stick is very interesting. My last win I won by a split hair head shot thanks to the flick stick and gyro.

Top Bottom