• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite is now available to play via Xbox Cloud Gaming for free without a membership

Ozriel

M$FT
That's not my point, at all.

If we are saying "fuck Apple" because of their 30% curated store, should that not apply to all curated stores that are 30%?

Why does Epic have no issue with MS, Nintendo or Sony's 30% tax? (yet...)

I mean, if you’re fine paying $800+ for consoles…

Apple gets hundreds of USD of profits on each iPhone they sell. Sony, MS and Nintendo don’t. Different business model.

But if you’re hell bent on destroying the console model, then by all means…

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean, if you’re fine paying $800+ for consoles…

Apple gets hundreds of USD of profits on each iPhone they sell. Sony, MS and Nintendo don’t. Different business model.

But if you’re hell bent on destroying the console model, then by all means…
Not I, Epic was hellbent on that in their court case if they should have won.

Luckily, they didn't. Otherwise those console walls would have come crashing down as well, since it would have been a court precedent.

Ozriel

M$FT
So you are saying consoles are not getting a cut from Fortnite purchases? (rhetorical question) Pretty sure they are, since that came out in the court docs, hence the crossplay above 15% language.

What if Epic allowed to directly purchase from them, bypassing Sony, Nintendo, and MS? Would they not throw a same stink?

Thanks to crossplay and crossbuy, you can buy content from Epic and use on your console.

The console stores only get IAP share when you purchase on that storefront/platform

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thanks to crossplay and crossbuy, you can buy content from Epic and use on your console.

The console stores only get IAP share when you purchase on that storefront/platform
And language in select contracts if it exceeds a certain %. That was revealed in the court docs.

Ozriel

M$FT
Not I, Epic was hellbent on that in their court case if they should have won.

Luckily, they didn't. Otherwise those console walls would have come crashing down as well, since it would have been a court precedent.

Nah. They made distinctions between general purpose computing devices like the iPhone and walled garden game consoles.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So you are saying consoles are not getting a cut from Fortnite purchases? (rhetorical question) Pretty sure they are, since that came out in the court docs, hence the crossplay above 15% language.

What if Epic allowed to directly purchase from them, bypassing Sony, Nintendo, and MS? Would they not throw a same stink?
I think you missed it again.
If you buy from Epic there is a 20% discount, you are enticed to buy from their store.
You could have your phone open on your lap or a browser in the background on your consoles and when you need to purchase something you purchase with your Epic account, login to your console and your shit will be there.

Apple didnt like that so they booted the app.

You literally can buy V bucks from Epic directly and keep playing on console right now.
And MS, Ninty and Sony havent thrown a stink yet.
Whats actually funny is that the console storefronts show the discounted price right now, so for us this fight has been a win, whatever deal console holders and Epic reached, every storefront now has a discount.

Prior to the huge stink from Apple the prices looked as below.

hsvzveo.jpg

EDIT: This is what I get for not playing fortnite on PS or Switch: But the discount is universal still.
All V-Bucks purchased on the Epic Games Store are not redeemable or usable on PlayStation®, or Nintendo Switch™.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think you missed it again.
If you buy from Epic there is a 20% discount, you are enticed to buy from their store.
You could have your phone open on your lap or a browser in the background on your consoles and when you need to purchase something you purchase with your Epic account, login to your console and your shit will be there.

Apple didnt like that so they booted the app.
That's absolutely false... Apple always allowed outside purchases of MTX

Sony are the only ones who have thrown a stink about that really; forcing Epic to pay if the balance of cross-buy purchases was not in favor of the playerbase numbers on Playstation... and locking non PS purchases to the other devices.

Last edited:

yurinka

I'm no Apple fan, not even close, but this logic would apply to the console storefronts as well, yeah?

Or is it only okay when they do it?
Microsoft's (and Epic's) end goal is to have their own storefront on mobile and (including the ones not made by them) consoles to sell their -plus 3rd party games- games there without having to pay anything to their platform holders, instead of the current 30% cut of game/DLC/mtx sales.

Obviously Epic and MS would charge some % to the 3rd party devs publishing on their storefront.

Sony are the only ones who have thrown a stink about that really; forcing Epic to pay if the balance of cross-buy purchases was not in favor of the playerbase numbers on Playstation... and locking non PS purchases to the other devices.
If the % of revenue made by the game on PS vs the % of the userbase of the game on PS is too unproportional, with a difference of over 15%, then the dev has to pay Sony the difference.

Sony allows games with crossbuy to buy in other stores, this is why it exist.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

That's absolutely false... Apple always allowed outside purchases of MTX

When inapp purchases through Epic Games Store were "allowed" Apple banned Fortnite from the store literally within hours.
So when exactly was the whole always allowed thing supposed to have happened?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
When inapp purchases through Epic Games Store were "allowed" Apple banned Fortnite from the store literally within hours.
So when exactly was the whole always allowed thing supposed to have happened?

You literally posted a screenshot of why Apple banned them.

The other scenario you described, where a user could pop open a web browser and buy from epic, was never blocked or not allowed on iOS.

Literally nobody is OK with epic using their app to buy things w/o going through the platforms payment processor.. which is what Epic did on iOS. All money collected on Xbox or Playstation via XBox or Playstation games, goes through the XBox or Playstation payment processor, and they get their cut.

Last edited:
Those servers must be really just sitting there then. They are renting their hardware for free so you can play some F2P game? A game where you don't even have to buy the MTX in their store?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Those servers must be really just sitting there then. They are renting their hardware for free so you can play some F2P game? A game where you don't even have to buy the MTX in their store?

Only a true gaffer could turn a good news story negative.

P.S MS have servers for days, if every Xbox Series Console tried to connect to xCloud they would still have servers to spare.
P.P.S They are legit preparing to launch the final form of Play Anywhere with Apps in your TV, Phone, Dongle, Xbox One, your fucking car....so yeah they have alot of servers to spare.

Calverz

Huge move. Massive for Xbox as Will bring many new players into the ecosystem.
Huge win for epic and Microsoft.

Only a true gaffer could turn a good news story negative.

P.S MS have servers for days, if every Xbox Series Console tried to connect to xCloud they would still have servers to spare.
P.P.S They are legit preparing to launch the final form of Play Anywhere with Apps in your TV, Phone, Dongle, Xbox One, your fucking car....so yeah they have alot of servers to spare.
Good for them.

Free hardware + Free games, that's a killer combo. It's like Netflix but free.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Just tried this today and MS isn’t streaming the Xbox version of Fortnite. XCloud is actually loading the mobile version of the game.

Banned
Just tried this today and MS isn’t streaming the Xbox version of Fortnite. XCloud is actually loading the mobile version of the game.

it is the xbox version... xcloud supports touch input for games that support it

pretty sure you never saw the Mobile version as that uses way worse assets like simplified geometry

Last edited:

elliot5

Why would xCloud be running an iOS or Android game instead of the pre existing Xbox game?

Xcloud can have native touch input on menus and game context aware stuff too which Epic is using to use their pre-existing mobile controls.

ManaByte

it is the xbox version... xcloud supports touch input for games that support it

pretty sure you never saw the Mobile version as that uses way worse assets like simplified geometry
It’s the mobile menus. Pretty sure you don’t actually use XCloud. This is the mobile version of Fortnite. It’s not using the XCloud touch controls, but the normal Fortnite mobile controls. It even has the auto fire option.
wE4ClYE.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
It’s the mobile menus. Pretty sure you don’t actually use XCloud. This is the mobile version of Fortnite. It’s not using the XCloud touch controls, but the normal Fortnite mobile controls. It even has the auto fire option.
wE4ClYE.jpg

it's the Xbox version. Fortnite automatically changes menu systems and layout the moment you use a touch input device, which xcloud supports. connect a controller and the menu instantly changes.

again, the Mobile version has different assets not found in the console version.
these assets are in some aspects lower quality than the lowest PC settings and lower than the Switch settings.

if I show you an image with keyboard inputs is that evidence I'm playing the PC version? because you can do that on xbox as well (not over xcloud for some weird reason tho)

btw. you can also use touch controls when you stream the PC version over Geforce Now ;)

Last edited:

CS Lurker

wE4ClYE.jpg

Playing here using my PC browser, the menu isn't like this. It's just like the PC menu.

Also, the assets in-game are completely different from the mobile version.

Last edited:

ManaByte

no, it is the Xbox version. just because you are wrong doesn't mean I'm trolling. read 2 posts prior I edited with info
There is no option for auto fire in the Xbox version or PC version. That’s exclusive to the Android and iOS ports.

Banned
Playing here using my PC browser, the menu isn't like this. It's just like the PC menu.

like I said above. Fortnite changes menu systems depending on inout device. Mouse, Controller and Touch have all different layouts. sadly you can't use Mouse and Keyboard over xcloud for some reason, but you can on the console itself.

Banned
There is no option for auto fire in the Xbox version or PC version. That’s exclusive to the Android and iOS ports.

stream the PC version over GeForce Now and see how suddenly the PC version has these options because it detects a touch input device

edit: apparently GeForce now can not detected touch devices... so strike that lol

Last edited:

Banned
ManaByte ManaByte this is how Fortnite looks on the most high end android phones:

Literally below low settings of the PC while the xcloud version runs Series X settings, so basically everything on PC Ultra

Last edited:

ManaByte

ManaByte ManaByte this is how Fortnite looks on the most high end android phones:

Literally below low settings of the PC while the xcloud version runs Series X settings, so basically everything on PC Ultra

Dude I still have the Android version installed on my Galaxy and I play it on that occasionally. I know what it looks like. When you load the XCloud version on a phone or iPad, it’s loading the mobile port.

elliot5

Cloud Aware Title

For developers looking to fully harness the capabilities of a player's device and provide a best-in-class experience that seamlessly adapts and transitions to different form factors, Xbox Cloud Gaming includes several additional techniques that a developer can leverage. From scaling UI in order to make it more readable, to creating a truly touch/mobile first experience, or to even handling the realities of latency with the cloud, Xbox Cloud Gaming has the developer covered. These more advanced techniques do require a developer to crack open game code and even possibly rethink some game or interaction design. The rewards, however, are a title that looks and feels like a truly native experience and a more adaptable design that may even benefit players in non-cloud scenarios.

UI Scaling

When your game is played via Xbox Cloud Gaming, your players may be experiencing it on screens ranging from 4k TVs all the way down to the phones in their pockets. User interfaces which look great on a large screen may be too small to work well on smaller screens. Cloud aware games can use the XGameStreamingGetStreamPhysicalDimensions - Microsoft Game Core | Microsoft Docs API to measure the physical size of the game as the player is seeing it. Using this information, a cloud aware game can calculate a sort of "virtual DPI" to help figure out what the appropriate scale for its user interface should be. For instance, if the game is rendering 1920 x 1080 pixel frames, and the player's device is rendering them with a size of 110 x 62 millimeters, the player is experiencing the game at approximately 443 DPI. With this data in mind, the game can then select the best size for their UI elements to make them the most usable for the player.

Dynamic Touch Control State

Games also have the ability to update properties of the touch layout at runtime to reflect the state of the game. Properties such as the visibility, look, or even the input that a control is mapped to can be updated to match the current game state.
A few examples of where this may be useful:

1. A title may allow a player to pick up and equip up different items in game. In order to reduce visual clutter on screen, a developer could use dynamic state to substitute out an appropriate art asset to match the currently equipped item and hide a game rendered hot bar.
  2. A title may allow a player to remap controls in settings. By using dynamic state, a developer could propagate these changes to the touch controls and even offer some touch specific player customization.
  3. A title may not need every control on screen because the player is out of ammo or hasn't learned a super ability yet. Rather than creating a layout for every possible player state, a developer could use dynamic state to hide or show controls as appropriate.
For more information on this capability and how to think of it versus switching an entire layout, check out the full documentation at: Changing Touch Control Layouts Based On Game State - Game Streaming | Microsoft Docs

Native Touch

In addition to using the Touch Adaptation Kit to render on screen controls, titles can also receive the raw touch inputs that a player is using to interact with the game. This allows you to build touch experiences which really feel native to mobile. Titles can build natural mobile interfaces, like tappable buttons on menus, pinch to zoom and pan to scroll on maps, or even tapping on the place that you'd like your character to walk to.

Epic simply hooked the Mobile features into the Cloud awareness API so if you're playing with touch and all that or streaming you get the mobile UI and functionality like auto fire.

Banned
Dude I still have the Android version installed on my Galaxy and I play it on that occasionally. I know what it looks like. When you load the XCloud version on a phone or iPad, it’s loading the mobile port.

so it's loading the mobile port, which can open an Xbox side bar with your friends list, xbox live party support and it suddenly runs PC Ultra settings instead of BELOW PC LOW

do you even read the nonsense you type?

Last edited:

sainraja

You are missing a big part of the whole Epic vs Apple fight.

You can buy Fortnite content from Epic directly and pay NO storefront fees.
Apple doesnt like that shit because people basically would have Fortnite installed (free so no cut to Apple) then buy shit from the Epic store (again no cut to Apple).
Apple feels Epic is circumventing Apple from making money from a game on their storefront....so they boot Fortnite.

MS and Sony you do pay the cut if you buy from the platform holders storefront....but said platform holder doesnt give a fuck if you decide to buy from Epic and "dodge" the 30%.
It's not exactly the same scenario, if comparing Apple's store front to EPICs. If you are simply talking about in-game transactions, then sure you have a point. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking that EPIC would honor a purchase you've made on the Steam platform and not require you to re-purchase said content. The only storefront to attempt to do this has been GOG.com and they have only been able to offer that with certain titles.

ManaByte

so it's loading the mobile port, which can open an Xbox side bar with your friends list, xbox live party support and it suddenly runs PC Ultra settings.

do you even read the nonsense you type?
You don’t even use Xcloud and are trying to back up your arguments with GeForce Now.

Banned
You don’t even use Xcloud and are trying to back up your arguments with GeForce Now.

I literally played the game over xcloud today :)

again, you are talking out of your ass. explain how the mobile version can open the Xbox guide and your friends list as well as running PC ultra with DX 12 features while mobile runs a completely different renderer

Last edited:

ManaByte

Epic simply hooked the Mobile features into the Cloud awareness API so if you're playing with touch and all that or streaming you get the mobile UI and functionality like auto fire.
This is using the mobile touch interface. Not the XCloud one.

Banned
This is using the mobile touch interface. Not the XCloud one.

XCLOUD CAN USE TOUCH INPUT DEVICES. WITH FULL TOUCH SCREEN SUPPORT

edit: once again, here the Mobile version RUNNING MAX MOBILE SETTINGS on a high end phone

Last edited:

sainraja

no, it is the Xbox version. just because you are wrong doesn't mean I'm trolling. read 2 posts prior I edited with info
I don't know if he's right or wrong about this but he doesn't handle being wrong that well. Just trying to save you some trouble.

But whether it is streaming the mobile version of the game or the Xbox version of the game, since its cloud, could they not adjust the version of the game that is being streamed and the appropriate UI to go along with it? It could be streaming both versions depending on the need?
Not sure why he thinks that just because he doesn't want to pay Apple 30%, that people must also hate Apple. lol Apple has been fine without Fortnite.

Last edited:

elliot5

I don't know if he's right or wrong about this but he doesn't handle being wrong that well. Just trying to save you some trouble.

But whether it is streaming the mobile version of the game or the Xbox version of the game, since its cloud, could they not adjust the version of the game that is being streamed and the appropriate UI to go along with it? It could be streaming both versions depending on the need?

Not sure why he thinks that since he doesn't want to pay Apple 30% that people hate Apple. lol Apple has been fine without Fortnite.
The hardware this system runs on are custom Xbox series x servers. It can’t run APKs or iOS app packages. It would make no sense to upload a separate, unique sku of Fortnite for Xbox solely for streaming purposes alongside an Xbox console app. It makes infinite more sense to apply xcloud awareness code to Fortnite on Xbox to overlay/run the mobile components already built in ue5 for Fortnite.

Just tried Stardew Valley on a 2-star hotel Wi-Fi connection, shit is unplayable. This is not a knock on Gamepass streaming, as it works pretty good on my home network.

Just don't expect much if you're staying at a La Quinta, bring your Switch.

Top Bottom