• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 in-engine footage shows weather and lighting effects

Kholinar

Banned
Best next gen visuals we've seen so far, so maybe your standards are too high mate?
It's as next gen as anything we've seen so far.
Nothing shown here is a generational leap from what has been seen for the last five years. Even aside from the graphics, there’s nothing next-gen. Its just previous Forza Horizons but prettier. No next-gen game design.

Besides, UE5 and Metro already trounce this in the photorealistic department. Don’t let my opinion heat you. 🤷‍♂️

I'm watching it on my 1440p monitor at 4k . I'm not saying the entire video but just this particular transition into this screen that it looks photorealistic for a moment . Try 3:00 minute mark
NldAwWy.jpeg
That was always one of the more video gamey looking areas to me, the buildings look totally fake from the start and the trees look like video game trees. It's not bad looking don't get me wrong it just never came close to looking photo realistic to me.

Nothing shown here is a generational leap from what has been seen for the last five years. Even aside from the graphics, there’s nothing next-gen. Its just previous Forza Horizons but prettier. No next-gen game design.

Besides, UE5 and Metro already trounce this in the photorealistic department. Don’t let my opinion heat you. 🤷‍♂️
There is no next gen game design in any game, next gen is just bigger, better and faster. For example the best open world game so far is RDR2 its technically superior to anything else, a fully simulated world, great AI, impressive physics etc. So how do you make that next gen? More and better AI, bigger and more detailed world and more interactive environments. All this and higher fidelity graphics, that's what next gen is and that's what Forza Horizon 5 is doing.

Kholinar

Banned
There is no next gen game design in any game, next gen is just bigger, better and faster. For example the best open world game so far is RDR2 its technically superior to anything else, a fully simulated world, great AI, impressive physics etc. So how do you make that next gen? More and better AI, bigger and more detailed world and more interactive environments. All this and higher fidelity graphics, that's what next gen is and that's what Forza Horizon 5 is doing.
No next-gen physics, destruction, car deformation, AI, etc. In my opinion, next-gen doesn’t start until CPUs start getting taxed and used efficiently...

This is literally just previous FHs but prettier. Not what I constitute as next-gen at all.
There is no next-gen game design in any game
Well, Ratchet, for starters.

No next-gen physics, destruction, car deformation, AI, etc. In my opinion, next-gen doesn’t start until CPUs start getting taxed and used efficiently...

This is literally just previous FHs but prettier. Not what I constitute as next-gen at all.

Obviously you're referring to the switching environments in a few seconds. That's something that is using the SSD but is it really a next gen game design? I been the actual gameplay is just more of the same from previous generations.

The weather system itself is physics based, puddles form, the wind, dust storms! it's all physics. Most of the environment apart from solid structures are destructible, trees, grass, fences, tables and chairs outside cafes etc. We are yet to see car damage but it will definitely have damage in there.

Honestly have you even seen the videos? It's more next gen visually than anything we've seen.

unknown.png

During its latest Forza Monthly Stream, Playground Games presented some new in-engine footage from Forza Horizon 5. This new in-engine video showcases the game’s weather and lighting effects.
In Forza Horizon 5, players will explore the vibrant and ever-evolving open-world landscapes of Mexico with limitless, fun driving action in hundreds of the world’s greatest cars.

Additionally, Forza Horizon 5 will take advantage of photogrammetry. As such, players can expect highly detailed textures for most surfaces.
Moreover, the game will not officially support mods.
Source

Fucking hell this game 💣💣💣💥💥💥
Seeing this actually makes me excited to see the next Fable.
Bro this is exactly what went through my head but I honestly think Fable will look better than this.
Fucking Playground Games man 🔥🔥🔥

Mattyp

Gold Member
That was always one of the more video gamey looking areas to me, the buildings look totally fake from the start and the trees look like video game trees. It's not bad looking don't get me wrong it just never came close to looking photo realistic to me.

Looks to me like you’re not watching in 4K.

Chukhopops

The absolute hypocrisy of saying FH is « current gen but prettier » and then using Ratchet as an example of next gen game is something no word can give justice to.

R&C plays exactly like the PS2, PS3 and PS4 version of the series except it looks prettier (and that’s fine btw).

But I guess your bait was at least successful for that.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
The absolute hypocrisy of saying FH is « current gen but prettier » and then using Ratchet as an example of next gen game is something no word can give justice to.

R&C plays exactly like the PS2, PS3 and PS4 version of the series except it looks prettier (and that’s fine btw).

But I guess your bait was at least successful for that.
Point me what FH5 does that isn’t possible last generation. Meanwhile, I can easily name a few aspects of Ratchet that are actually next-gen.

And is anything that challenges your perspective ‘bait?’ You might find a nice comfy home in ERA, pal. Can point fingers all you want there.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Weather is regional, that's what they said. What it sounds like to me is, too lazy to have dynamic weather. This means only one weather "Type" per location.

These devs are bottom tier. I don't believe this demo was not done on PC.
You appear impeded (or hopefully just joking) but I'll give a serious answer anyway. The weather is of course fully dynamic, like FH4. But while there will be chance of snow in the mountain regions f.ex. it wouldn't make sense for it to snow in the lowland regions where there's a tropical climate. The developer have to have solutions for these scenaros. Hence why the weather in FH5 is dynamic in context to both regional and seanonal factors.

Fredrik

The graphics aren't the one thing that needs improving. It's the gameplay. Yes, it looks good. But is it still boring?
Pfff Forza Horizon has never been boring, the whole reason the serie is so popular is because it’s focused on having a fun playground for cars rather than just more realism. It may look realistic but this is no boring sim, you really don’t blast through a jungle at 200mph in a lambo irl, but you do in FH and that’s what makes it so awesome 😁

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Point me what FH5 does that isn’t possible last generation. Meanwhile, I can easily name a few aspects of Ratchet that are actually next-gen.

And is anything that challenges your perspective ‘bait?’ You might find a nice comfy home in ERA, pal. Can point fingers all you want there.
I don’t know what to tell you if you think the lighting, weather effects, photogrammetry and draw distance in an open world map are possible on last gen. Once the down port for XBO is out it will look more or less like FH4 and the gap with next gen will be huge.

Also you’re not challenging anything, you’re just trying to downplay a game that’s not on your favorite machine, as is evident by your post history. Don’t flatter yourself and think you are providing insightful commentary.

I never saw such un-boring game as FH4. If you don't like the gameplay it's just not for you.

Pfff Forza Horizon has never been boring, the whole reason the serie is so popular is because it’s focused on having a fun playground for cars rather than just more realism. It may look realistic but this is no boring sim, you really don’t blast through a jungle at 200mph in a lambo irl, but you do in FH and that’s what makes it so awesome 😁
I like my games to have some semblance of achievement and progression. And some tension. Forza has very little of those things.

I have no interest in fooling around in a sandbox.

Kholinar

Banned
Obviously you're referring to the switching environments in a few seconds. That's something that is using the SSD but is it really a next gen game design?
Yes. They actually incorporate that insane I/O into level designs in Ratchet. You can even drop into different planets whilst fighting bosses for example. Not just that, but Ratchet also leverages next-gen techniques that Cerny alluded to, such as only having what’s in front of the camera resident in memory.
The weather system itself is physics based, puddles form, the wind, dust storms! it's all physics.
Nothing we haven’t already seen before.
Most of the environment apart from solid structures are destructible, trees, grass, fences, tables and chairs outside cafes etc.
Okay, cool, I guess? Having fences and cacti and stuff being destructible is something that was possible since GTAV.
Honestly have you even seen the videos? It's more next gen visually than anything we've seen.
Eh, not really. It’s not a full generational leap over most recent PC games at 4k.

Kholinar

Banned
I don’t know what to tell you if you think the lighting, weather effects, photogrammetry and draw distance in an open world map are possible on last gen.
Photogrammetry assets has been possible since Battlefront 2015 and ran at 60FPS on PS4 and XBO in large scale maps. And the lighting, draw distance, and weather pales in comparison to the UE5 demo. 🤷‍♂️

It’s still a current gen game. It’s still constricted to Jaguar CPUs, lol.

Mr.ODST

I don’t know what to tell you if you think the lighting, weather effects, photogrammetry and draw distance in an open world map are possible on last gen. Once the down port for XBO is out it will look more or less like FH4 and the gap with next gen will be huge.

Also you’re not challenging anything, you’re just trying to downplay a game that’s not on your favorite machine, as is evident by your post history. Don’t flatter yourself and think you are providing insightful commentary.
Typical Sony Fanboy, denies anything decent for any other platform to make their own look better

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I like my games to have some semblance of achievement and progression. And some tension. Forza has very little of those things.

Not for you then. It's easy and fun game with great music. It's a festival game. Also opponents on hardest difficulty are faster than me in most situations, so I don't have that problem.

Chukhopops

Photogrammetry assets has been possible since Battlefront 2015 and ran at 60FPS on PS4 and XBO in large scale maps. And the lighting, draw distance, and weather pales in comparison to the UE5 demo. 🤷‍♂️

I think this is going nowhere but your argument is that it doesn’t look as good in-game as... a tech demo? From an engine that no game will use in the next couple years? That’s your argument for why it’s somehow current gen?

And you really believe the Cerny gospel from his launch speech... well let’s leave it at that. I won’t bother with you anymore.

Fredrik

Well then you can play a more linear game. I’m progressing and unlocking stuff all the time years after the release and there are all kinds of races and events and craziness to do in the world. Love it! Best racing IP right now! 🥰

Kholinar

Banned
I think this is going nowhere but your argument is that it doesn’t look as good in-game as... a tech demo? From an engine that no game will use in the next couple years? That’s your argument for why it’s somehow current gen?

And you really believe the Cerny gospel from his launch speech... well let’s leave it at that. I won’t bother with you anymore.
Yes. It’s still a game running on unoptimised, last-gen engines and constrained to Jaguar CPUs.

And of course I appeal to Cerny, a decorated senior engineer, as an authority. Not you. Him.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member

You are not going 250mph in Battlefront.
Also FH5 may run on Xbox One in streaming mode only. Microsoft already announced such tech.
But a agree with you too - if you scale back textures/draw distance/resolution etc. it may (or may not) run on Xbox One too.

Haha Ratchet doesn't have next gen physics, destruction, AI, etc. It's pretty with fast loading.

BigLee74

Not just that, but Ratchet also leverages next-gen techniques that Cerny alluded to, such as only having what’s in front of the camera resident in memory.
And you believe that? 😁

I wonder how on earth the RT reflections work when they have to reflect things not in memory?

I would bet testicles that R+C is developed with the same streaming tech as all other games before it, albeit with the ability to stream much faster.

But this isn’t to bash R+C, this is a Forza thread. You think it’s unimpressive and merely current gen in looks. That’s your opinion.

Yes. They actually incorporate that insane I/O into level designs in Ratchet. You can even drop into different planets whilst fighting bosses for example. Not just that, but Ratchet also leverages next-gen techniques that Cerny alluded to, such as only having what’s in front of the camera resident in memory.

Nothing we haven’t already seen before.

Okay, cool, I guess? Having fences and cacti and stuff being destructible is something that was possible since GTAV.

Eh, not really. It’s not a full generational leap over most recent PC games at 4k.
Yeah if you play on PC you are at the visual apex but what other game is doing what Horizon 5 is doing at that fidelity? I think Ratchet looks next gen but Horizon 5 IMO has better graphics. And both games will be dated in just a few years.

As I said this next gen game design is nonsense, next gen is just bigger, better and faster. Even portal jumping has been done before, just not at this fidelity.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Spot on, I think I put more hours into FH4 than any other game, loved it, can't wait for FH5
I like that you can just relax and play it without any negativity, without any goal, just driving car that you like then eventually race someone. Can't wait. It's my anti-stress game, lol.

Kholinar

Banned
Horizon Forbidden West has to run on jaguar CPU as well, does it look rubbish because of that?

How the heck would you know it's "unoptimised"? A bold statement from someone who knows nothing about optimisation.
Never said this game looks rubbish. Reread my comments. And yes, H:FW isn’t a true next-gen game too if you’re trying to wring that statement out of me. And I said the engine is unoptimised in context to what constitutes as next-gen. UE5 is a next-gen optimised engine.
You are not going 250mph in Battlefront.
When operating a star fighter, you are.

Haha Ratchet doesn't have next gen physics, destruction, AI, etc. It's pretty with fast loading.
Ratchet utilises viewport rendering and super fast I/O and loading, and 4K RT reflections, both things that aren’t possible in last-gen. And I don’t expect developers to completely reinvent the wheel and start concocting completely new next-gen game designs at the mere start of the generation. In fact, a chunk of Ratchet’s dev time was spent on upgrading the engine to accommodate the insane I/O of the PS5.

Ratchet isn’t utilising the full potential of what should be possible in next-gen, but at least it has things that aren’t possible to achieve for last-gen. Can’t say the same for FH5! 🤷‍♂️
And you believe that? 😁

I wonder how on earth the RT reflections work when they have to reflect things not in memory?

I would bet testicles that R+C is developed with the same streaming tech as all other games before it, albeit with the ability to stream much faster.

But this isn’t to bash R+C, this is a Forza thread. You think it’s unimpressive and merely current gen in looks. That’s your opinion.
Read the DF interview with the devs before you clown yourself even more. No wonder Xbox fanboys don’t appeal to actual developer authority. Phil has been lying to y’all for years! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah if you play on PC you are at the visual apex but what other game is doing what Horizon 5 is doing at that fidelity? I think Ratchet looks next gen but Horizon 5 IMO has better graphics. And both games will be dated in just a few years.

As I said this next gen game design is nonsense, next gen is just bigger, better and faster. Even portal jumping has been done before, just not at this fidelity.
I don’t really think next gen game design is nonsense. Once last-gen is phased out completely, games will look totally different. We’ll all come to this thread and laugh at how dated this already looks come 2024.

Reindeer

Never said this game looks rubbish. Reread my comments. And yes, H:FW isn’t a true next-gen game too if you’re trying to wring that statement out of me. And I said the engine is unoptimised in context to what constitutes as next-gen. UE5 is a next-gen optimised engine.

When operating a star fighter, you are.

Ratchet utilises viewport rendering and super fast I/O and loading, and 4K RT reflections, both things that aren’t possible in last-gen. And I don’t expect developers to completely reinvent the wheel and start concocting completely new next-gen game designs at the mere start of the generation. In fact, a chunk of Ratchet’s dev time was spent on upgrading the engine to accommodate the insane I/O of the PS5.

Ratchet isn’t utilising the full potential of what should be possible in next-gen, but at least it has things that aren’t possible to achieve for last-gen. Can’t say the same for FH5! 🤷‍♂️

Read the DF interview with the devs before you clown yourself even more. No wonder Xbox fanboys don’t appeal to actual developer authority. Phil has been lying to y’all for years! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don’t really think next gen game design is nonsense. Once last-gen is phased out completely, games will look totally different. We’ll all come to this thread and laugh at how dated this already looks come 2024.
Wow, what a load of nonsense you just wrote. Don't bring DF into this, unlike couch experts like yourself, they were extremely impressed with Forza Horizon 5 and said it's one of the most impressive next gen games they've seen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom