• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 in-engine footage shows weather and lighting effects

Kilau

Gold Member
Track based game compared to open world ... ok

Driveclub looks average outside of the usual rain videos / screenshots
No need to get defensive, Driveclub is 7 years old but the weather effects are still better. Yes I understand the difference between open world and track based but we have new gen hardware now.

Mr.ODST

No need to get defensive, Driveclub is 7 years old but the weather effects are still better. Yes I understand the difference between open world and track based but we have new gen hardware now.
Not being defensive, but both have different development cycles and types of optimisation, simple as

R6Rider

Gold Member
Looks really good (except that grass pop-in), but I don't like how progression and unlocking cars has worked or how race requirements pretty much went away since Forza 3 (or maybe it was 2).

I preferred how the first one was done and started you off in an old, slow car and working your way to the faster, more expensive stuff. An hour into FH4 and I had a handful of cars from all kinds of classes and on top of that you didn't even have to finish races in a top spot.

Also, it seems the car sounds still suck. So many racing games get this wrong.

Last edited:
Not for you then. It's easy and fun game with great music. It's a festival game. Also opponents on hardest difficulty are faster than me in most situations, so I don't have that problem.
Festival game?! What in earth is that? It sounds dreadful. I never said it was easy, I've said before that it doesn't punish you for placing badly.
Well then you can play a more linear game. I’m progressing and unlocking stuff all the time years after the release and there are all kinds of races and events and craziness to do in the world. Love it! Best racing IP right now! 🥰
I tried to play it linear but didn't feel any tension or excitement since I could progress however badly I raced. It got to the point that I didn't care if I got overtaken or hit a corner because it literally makes no difference

Honestly asking, how do you reconcile that issue?

FH4 is definitely not boring. It's the best racing game I have ever played actually.
But when I played it, it didn't seem like a racing game. It seems like a driving game with no penalty for being awful (as I was). I could progress, seemingly unlock things, and finish last. I also couldn't see my times on previous races, race my ghost etc and so had no motivation to try and learn tracks and get better.

That's why it's boring.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
But when I played it, it didn't seem like a racing game. It seems like a driving game with no penalty for being awful (as I was). I could progress, seemingly unlock things, and finish last. I also couldn't see my times on previous races, race my ghost etc and so had no motivation to try and learn tracks and get better.

That's why it's boring.
Disable rewind, enable damage, increase difficulty?

Festival game? Joy, fun, celebration, music...you know - festival.

Last edited:

That's why it's boring.
Same can be said for pretty much every game with an easy difficulty. Some games just aren't for everyone. Like me for example don't like pretty much any third person adventure game.

Legit, the gameplay reveal made me question whether what was real and what wasn't.

Pretty excited for this, might get XSEX next year for this game, and anything else that may pique my interest.

Unless I upgrade my PC, then, nevermind.

Disable rewind, enable damage, increase difficulty?

Festival game? Joy, fun, celebration, music...you know - festival.
I didn't say it was easy. I don't need to increase the difficulty! I can come last on easy and I can come last on hard and still progress. That's the issue, along with the lack of times being saved etc. Don't you read?

Did you make the term festival game up yourself? It's horrendous and I hope it doesn't catch on. I get vastly different things from video games and festivals.
Same can be said for pretty much every game with an easy difficulty. Some games just aren't for everyone. Like me for example don't like pretty much any third person adventure game.
It's not easy. It doesn't have a difficulty since you can progress no matter what.

What about my comment on no track times saved, no ghost to race etc. That's nothing to do with "every easy game" it's specific to a racing game and it's just terrible that these basic things aren't included.

But I guess it's not a racing game, it's a 'festival' game LMAO.

Last edited:

Prison Mike

Banned
Wow, an open world game with weather and lighting effects. Who would have though?
The Office Reaction GIF

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Looks pretty, but it doesn’t scream next-gen. It’s just a prettier current gen game.
Nothing shown here is a generational leap from what has been seen for the last five years. Even aside from the graphics, there’s nothing next-gen. Its just previous Forza Horizons but prettier. No next-gen game design.

Besides, UE5 and Metro already trounce this in the photorealistic department. Don’t let my opinion heat you. 🤷‍♂️

No next-gen physics, destruction, car deformation, AI, etc. In my opinion, next-gen doesn’t start until CPUs start getting taxed and used efficiently...

This is literally just previous FHs but prettier. Not what I constitute as next-gen at all.

Well, Ratchet, for starters.
Point me what FH5 does that isn’t possible last generation. Meanwhile, I can easily name a few aspects of Ratchet that are actually next-gen.

And is anything that challenges your perspective ‘bait?’ You might find a nice comfy home in ERA, pal. Can point fingers all you want there.
Yes. They actually incorporate that insane I/O into level designs in Ratchet. You can even drop into different planets whilst fighting bosses for example. Not just that, but Ratchet also leverages next-gen techniques that Cerny alluded to, such as only having what’s in front of the camera resident in memory.

Nothing we haven’t already seen before.

Okay, cool, I guess? Having fences and cacti and stuff being destructible is something that was possible since GTAV.

Eh, not really. It’s not a full generational leap over most recent PC games at 4k.
Yes. It’s still a game running on unoptimised, last-gen engines and constrained to Jaguar CPUs.

And of course I appeal to Cerny, a decorated senior engineer, as an authority. Not you. Him.
Never said this game looks rubbish. Reread my comments. And yes, H:FW isn’t a true next-gen game too if you’re trying to wring that statement out of me. And I said the engine is unoptimised in context to what constitutes as next-gen. UE5 is a next-gen optimised engine.

When operating a star fighter, you are.

Ratchet utilises viewport rendering and super fast I/O and loading, and 4K RT reflections, both things that aren’t possible in last-gen. And I don’t expect developers to completely reinvent the wheel and start concocting completely new next-gen game designs at the mere start of the generation. In fact, a chunk of Ratchet’s dev time was spent on upgrading the engine to accommodate the insane I/O of the PS5.

Ratchet isn’t utilising the full potential of what should be possible in next-gen, but at least it has things that aren’t possible to achieve for last-gen. Can’t say the same for FH5! 🤷‍♂️

Read the DF interview with the devs before you clown yourself even more. No wonder Xbox fanboys don’t appeal to actual developer authority. Phil has been lying to y’all for years! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don’t really think next gen game design is nonsense. Once last-gen is phased out completely, games will look totally different. We’ll all come to this thread and laugh at how dated this already looks come 2024.
bd92f64b-bae2-4c47-8e97-3da9da4e5c01.jpg

Chukhopops

I didn't say it was easy. I don't need to increase the difficulty! I can come last on easy and I can come last on hard and still progress. That's the issue, along with the lack of times being saved etc. Don't you read?

Did you make the term festival game up yourself? It's horrendous and I hope it doesn't catch on. I get vastly different things from video games and festivals.

It's not easy. It doesn't have a difficulty since you can progress no matter what.

What about my comment on no track times saved, no ghost to race etc. That's nothing to do with "every easy game" it's specific to a racing game and it's just terrible that these basic things aren't included.

I don’t think you get what Forza Horizon is about. Also the term festival is literally in the game, the reason why all the cars and drivers gather is because of the Horizon Festival.

Why do we have so many people trying to change a formula that is massively popular to suit their personal needs? We have people wanting destruction (!), getting out of the car to do whatever (!!), removing the open world part, removing off-road racing and even being disappointed that it’s a racing game. You could always... play something else? There are dozens of very good sim racers to choose from.

Rudius

I'm more of PlayStation guy, but Microsoft deserves all the credit for keeping the AAA arcade racer alive, my favorite genre in gaming. I've being playing Forza Horizon 3 on PC for the last month, catching up with what I missed, and it's an amazing game.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member

i'm not trying to convince you. It's okay that you have different opinion. Just don't insist your boring experience with the game to other people, like they didn't have fun with it, lol.

I don’t think you get what Forza Horizon is about. Also the term festival is literally in the game, the reason why all the cars and drivers gather is because of the Horizon Festival.

Why do we have so many people trying to change a formula that is massively popular to suit their personal needs? We have people wanting destruction (!), getting out of the car to do whatever (!!), removing the open world part, removing off-road racing and even being disappointed that it’s a racing game. You could always... play something else? There are dozens of very good sim racers to choose from.
I'm disappointed that it's not a racing game! It looks like one, is marketed like one and then you play it and .... Oh, what a waste of potential.

How can you people defend the lack of such basics?

Stop saying a want this to be a sim racer. I want it to be a normal arcade racer where losing actually matters!!!!!!!

Why can't you people understand that?

BigLee74

That's why it's boring.
Pretty sure there are leaderboards for every race/event in the game, and you can race the ghost of rivals? Maybe I’m remembering this wrong, it’s not a feature I ever used very much.

i'm not trying to convince you. It's okay that you have different opinion. Just don't insist your boring experience with the game to other people, like they didn't have fun with it, lol.
I'm waiting for someone to honestly explain how they played and didn't miss the fact that you can't see your times, can't race against your ghost and that LOSING DOESN'T MATTER.

Pretty sure there are leaderboards for every race/event in the game, and you can race the ghost of rivals? Maybe I’m remembering this wrong, it’s not a feature I ever used very much.
No, there's not. When you attempt a race again your aren't shown your last time, and maybe not even your last placing (can't remember).

Also, come last or first you move on to the next race no matter what.

Moronic.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I'm waiting for someone to honestly explain how they played and didn't miss the fact that you can't see your times, can't race against your ghost and that LOSING DOESN'T MATTER.
If you see reviews or watch any livestream you won't be too far off about how people played it.
Why you think losing doesn't matter? Less money (they are multiplied based on difficulty), less pleasure. It definitely matters for me because I don't want to spend too much time on one track when there is so much other races available.

Edit: you act like ghosts and lap-times are only source of fun in racing games (remember Carmageddon? Burnout?). FH is not a racing sim. It's very fun racing game with tons of freedom. It doesn't want to be a racing sim, like at all.

Last edited:

BigLee74

No, there's not. When you attempt a race again your aren't shown your last time, and maybe not even your last placing (can't remember).

Also, come last or first you move on to the next race no matter what.

Moronic.
Don’t make me reinstall this. I just deleted it yesterday! 😂

Maybe somebody can verify your claims that there isn’t a leaderboard for every race, and that you can’t race ghosts? Because from my memory, you can.

Regarding progression. Well, I’ve never felt FH got it quite right. It just keeps throwing stuff at you regardless of how you do (as you say), making the race results themselves largely irrelevant.

But to be honest, who wants to have to grind out results to continue in a game? FH is just fun - the sheer amount of events and event types available to you is amazing. And there are ample difficulty settings to make the racing as challenging as you need it to be.

(edit: and as pointed out above, the rewards for higher difficulties is more cash for buying those cars and castles!)

Last edited:
The money seemed pointless as great cars are unlocked from the start and pleasure? I get pleasure from being intellectually stimulated and challenged by a game's progression system. I shouldn't have to make my own up.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
The money seemed pointless as great cars are unlocked from the start and pleasure? I get pleasure from being intellectually stimulated and challenged by a game's progression system. I shouldn't have to make my own up.
So what? Everybody needs to play like you? My god... People ARE getting TONS of fun from this game, and you don't. What's next? Play a different game and have fun man. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Being able to move on to the next, the next, the next, the next, without having to be any good just invalidates the whole game. So there's lots of races. So what when you don't feel any sort of satisfaction completing them.

I'm cross because they have dumbed the game down massively for people like you with no desire to be challenged.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Being able to move on to the next, the next, the next, the next, without having to be any good just invalidates the whole game. So there's lots of races. So what when you don't feel any sort of satisfaction completing them.

I'm cross because they have dumbed the game down massively for people like you with no desire to be challenged.

If you are going to insult folk with phrases such as ‘people like you’, then it would help if you quote the intended recipient in the first place? That will give them a chance to respond.

Consider this post as an example.

Forza Horizon is not a game for people like you. But that’s ok. It doesn’t need to cater for all.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member

No, you just pretend that FH4 is a game for stupid and people really don't have fun with it, and you are some kind of racing sim veteran and you get fun from "real challenge".
Now just image how real racers laugh at you? I mean those who drive real cars, on real tracks and for real money and honor.

I don't know if that applicable but I'm a long time GT fan. Not Forza Motorsport, not PCars, not Asseto Corsa (can explain why but I won't), and I absolutely adore the series. I golded EVERY license and event (including mission challenges in GT4 and real 24h endurance races) on EVERY GT since GT1. And I absolutely love to race against my ghost in GT. But FH4 is different and I have no trouble to enjoy both. Like at all.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I didn't say there was a T, read it again :messenger_winking:
Yeah i don't know dude, i always pronounce forza without any other letter, it's a pretty simple italian word to pronounce, it's not something like supercalifragilistichespiralidoso or some shit.

Last edited:
No, you just pretend that FH4 is a game for stupid and people really don't have fun with it, and you are some kind of racing sim veteran and you get fun from "real challenge".
Now just image how real racers laugh at you? I mean on real cars, on real tracks and for real money and honor.

I don't know if that applicable but I'm a long time GT fan. Not Forza Motorsport, not PCars, not Asseto Corsa (can explain why but I won't), and I absolutely adore the series. I golded EVERY license and event (including mission challenges in GT4 and real 24h endurance races) on EVERY GT since GT1. And I absolutely love to race against my ghost in GT. But FH4 is different and I have no trouble to enjoy both. Like at all.
Oh my goodness. It's literally like you can't read. That's not my point at all.

I'm trash at the game and have no desire to show off to real racers. The point is that I am trash and yet progress without issue thus negating any need to get good and or creates zero sense of achievement.

It could be my dream racing game if they only included basic progression systems which were the norm. They removed then to cater to weird sandbox 'everything unlocked' rubbish and now I can get nothing from the franchise.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Oh my goodness. It's literally like you can't read. That's not my point at all.

I'm trash at the game and have no desire to show off to real racers. The point is that I am trash and yet progress without issue thus negating any need to get good and or creates zero sense of achievement.

It could be my dream racing game if they only included basic progression systems which were the norm. They removed then to cater to weird sandbox 'everything unlocked' rubbish and now I can get nothing from the franchise.
Ah okay. Now I'm getting it. FH4 is definitely has it's flaws, I agree. I just think not to the point where you can't enjoy it.

Ah okay. Now I'm getting it. FH4 is definitely has it's flaws, I agree. I just think not to the point where you can't enjoy it.
Awesome. If anything I'm a slave to the dopamine hit that gaming provides and the lack of achievement (which I know is false in a real world way) in this game makes me frustrated. It doesn't ping my brain in the way that I oh so wish it would as it looks and handles brilliantly. But I have no desire to play it at all and it's such a shame.

Dolomite

For me this builds so much more hype for Fable. I cannot wait to see what playground does with that world and this technology

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Looks dope! Will definitely check out the PC version when it hits.

How is the mod community with this game (series), are there any?

Last edited:
Hey, at least he said open-world game and not just "a racing game". Next time he might actually give a compliment that's not a back-handed snarky insult.

PROGRESS!!! :LOL:

Nah really tho, this game's looking great. Hope I'll have a system (preferably the X) by the time it comes out or shortly afterwards. Most interested I've been in a racing game in a very long time.

Pedro Motta

Warrior post? Not sure why you thought this was constructive at all. Shame on you

Tell that to Horizon Zero Down.

Thought*

Anyway, redundant snarky comment, lame.

To all these numb nuts, my comment was nothing about console warrioring, only your feeble little minds would think that.
My comment was about a no news OP about tech that exists for a loooong time in other games, also there are numerous other Forza 5 threads this could be inserted.
Take care fellow kids.

Nothing shown here is a generational leap from what has been seen for the last five years. Even aside from the graphics, there’s nothing next-gen. Its just previous Forza Horizons but prettier. No next-gen game design.

Besides, UE5 and Metro already trounce this in the photorealistic department. Don’t let my opinion heat you. 🤷‍♂️

What's an opinion worth when it's a house made out of Play-Doh?

UE5 is literally just a demo, and Metro is a completely different type of game artistically. The only thing it has that's "next-gen" that this doesn't is RT in-game and you don't really need RT to achieve photorealism.

Just like how you don't need "next-gen" game design (honestly what even quantifies as "next-gen" design. Genuinely curious if folks can back this up with examples that sound like they make any sense) to have great game design, otherwise almost none of Nintendo's games the past decade or so would be considered good.

Last edited:

Utherellus

This seems a far superior take on weather than last gen games, having different biomes so instead of just the weather changing across the whole map you can see different weather systems and head towards them, I don't think I've seen that before in a game.
Heh, actually FlightSim has that.

And it's powered by ForzaTech 😅

Last edited:
Top Bottom