• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 |OT| Are you a Mexican, or a Mexican't?

Lasha

How exactly do collisions work online? Guy rams me full on and knocks me off line and into a wall. He gets invisible mode to cruise through and I get a collision penalty. Does the game reward ramming because it seems like I can score easy places by ramming people in turns.

How exactly do collisions work online? Guy rams me full on and knocks me off line and into a wall. He gets invisible mode to cruise through and I get a collision penalty. Does the game reward ramming because it seems like I can score easy places by ramming people in turns.

Ramming shouldn't be possible in the game. When two vehicles in the game are traveling at a high enough speed difference and the game predicts an impact the game ghosts both cars and the rammer should just pass straight through you into the wall which will cause a slowdown timer for him. I've lost count of the number of races where I get the collision message, then phase out and watch some goober who doesn't know what brakes are eat shit into the barrier. Unfortunately, people have adapted to this. They got around the collision avoidance system by nudging others at just the right speed which is close enough you don't fade out but still fast enough to cause you to get unsettled and hit the wall. They also wait until others are about to cross a tricky checkpoint and nudge them over causing them to miss the checkpoint and have to reset or rewind. Poor sports always find a way to ruin everyone's fun unfortunately.

The sad reality is that making everyone ghosts all the time is the only way to avoid rammers but that removes the light contact that is actually a part of racing.

Lasha

Ramming shouldn't be possible in the game. When two vehicles in the game are traveling at a high enough speed difference and the game predicts an impact the game ghosts both cars and the rammer should just pass straight through you into the wall which will cause a slowdown timer for him. I've lost count of the number of races where I get the collision message, then phase out and watch some goober who doesn't know what brakes are eat shit into the barrier. Unfortunately, people have adapted to this. They got around the collision avoidance system by nudging others at just the right speed which is close enough you don't fade out but still fast enough to cause you to get unsettled and hit the wall. They also wait until others are about to cross a tricky checkpoint and nudge them over causing them to miss the checkpoint and have to reset or rewind. Poor sports always find a way to ruin everyone's fun unfortunately.

The sad reality is that making everyone ghosts all the time is the only way to avoid rammers but that removes the light contact that is actually a part of racing.

Going transparent is an advantage. I figured out after watching people do it to me that one can just dive the inside of the turn. The game will think there is a collision and make me transparent. I have enough of an angle to brake and clip the wall at a lower speed or avoid it completed. Light contact isn't really racing when people are hitting you to knock you off your line or trying to force you off the track. Most of the contact in racing games would result in penalties or DQ in a race. I think adding time penalties on top of the slowdown would sufficiently discourage hostile driving.

Going transparent is an advantage. I figured out after watching people do it to me that one can just dive the inside of the turn. The game will think there is a collision and make me transparent. I have enough of an angle to brake and clip the wall at a lower speed or avoid it completed. Light contact isn't really racing when people are hitting you to knock you off your line or trying to force you off the track. Most of the contact in racing games would result in penalties or DQ in a race. I think adding time penalties on top of the slowdown would sufficiently discourage hostile driving.

The problem is no matter how many hurdles they put in front of shitty players; they'll jump them because they're assholes. In Forza Motorsport games neither system was in place and people just destroyed other players flying into corners. When the collision avoidance system was put in place, they implemented a system that caused the car being rammed to become essentially a tank, so people started using that. They just started using the now immovable car and get an advantage going into corners. When they also implemented time penalties with the new race regulations shitty players just started nudging others out of bounds giving them time penalties while incurring none for themselves. Of course, you can report this kind of behavior, but you'd spend more time reporting than racing to have any effect on things.

In Forza Horizon time penalties would be hard to implement because of the chaotic nature of the racing. Should I get a time penalty for landing on the roof of another player in a jumpy section? Who gets a penalty if we're both flying down a lumpy mountainside race and bump into each other? There's no perfect solution and regardless of what gets implemented some people just want to race dirty and will find ways to use the penalty system to their advantage.

Lasha

The problem is no matter how many hurdles they put in front of shitty players; they'll jump them because they're assholes. In Forza Motorsport games neither system was in place and people just destroyed other players flying into corners. When the collision avoidance system was put in place, they implemented a system that caused the car being rammed to become essentially a tank, so people started using that. They just started using the now immovable car and get an advantage going into corners. When they also implemented time penalties with the new race regulations shitty players just started nudging others out of bounds giving them time penalties while incurring none for themselves. Of course, you can report this kind of behavior, but you'd spend more time reporting than racing to have any effect on things.

In Forza Horizon time penalties would be hard to implement because of the chaotic nature of the racing. Should I get a time penalty for landing on the roof of another player in a jumpy section? Who gets a penalty if we're both flying down a lumpy mountainside race and bump into each other? There's no perfect solution and regardless of what gets implemented some people just want to race dirty and will find ways to use the penalty system to their advantage.

I would set different penalties based on mode. There aren't too many road or dirt tracks where you can end up on top of another car unintentionally. Cross country is the least annoying since the gates are usually big enough to dodge bad traffic with an alternate line. The game already does some weird predictive analysis for corner rammers.

jayj

Banned
Anyone else here a big tuner? That's always been my thing, putting together the best optimal tunes I can for as many cars as possible. I pretty much got all the cars in the game by now, and my own tunes for them. I actually hit an upload limit with Horizon 4, glad they got rid of that this time around, at least I haven't encountered it yet.

Honestly, it feels like the only reason I progressed through the game was to unlock/purchase everything so I can just cruise around with my cars and build new project cars on my own time.

Kilau

Gold Member
Anyone else here a big tuner? That's always been my thing, putting together the best optimal tunes I can for as many cars as possible. I pretty much got all the cars in the game by now, and my own tunes for them. I actually hit an upload limit with Horizon 4, glad they got rid of that this time around, at least I haven't encountered it yet.

Honestly, it feels like the only reason I progressed through the game was to unlock/purchase everything so I can just cruise around with my cars and build new project cars on my own time.
I’m not a tuner at all but I really appreciate the effort you and others put into the tunes and sharing.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
A quick rant. Upgrading from 3080 to 4090 was super easy. Unplug the old one, plug the new one, update drivers and finito.

Everything worked fine...

...until I decided to play Forza Horizon 5 from Microsoft Store. Every Forza game stopped working. Motorsport 7, Horizon 3, 4, 5.

My solution was to just buy FM 4+5 on Steam. Works like a charm. I need to try it on Deck!

What is with the woke character creator in this game? I can give my guy twelve different kinds of prosthetic limbs and hearing aids but can't give him a fucking beard.

What is with the woke character creator in this game? I can give my guy twelve different kinds of prosthetic limbs and hearing aids but can't give him a fucking beard.
At least he can be bald finally. I've shaved my head for over 20 years (most of it at least, nature took care of the rest) and having to pick nu-male hair in Forza Horizon 4 was annoying. Unfortunately, Horizon 4 and 5 turned the player into the "superstar", a British guy with an annoying squeaky Youtube personality. I preferred the protagonist from Horizon 1-3 who was silent.

At least he can be bald finally. I've shaved my head for over 20 years (most of it at least, nature took care of the rest) and having to pick nu-male hair in Forza Horizon 4 was annoying. Unfortunately, Horizon 4 and 5 turned the player into the "superstar", a British guy with an annoying squeaky Youtube personality. I preferred the protagonist from Horizon 1-3 who was silent.

Yeah I also didn't like that the only option is some smarmy British voice, and there's just something obnoxious about being the 'superstar'. I like rags to riches type racing stories, even in racing games where there's no story I kind of make up my own narrative of how I'm some nobody tearing up the charts against all these pros. Riches to more riches isn't exactly compelling lol.

Lasha

I tune often because I stage restricted races with friends. I find it far more interesting to see the different ways a group of drivers approach the same car. I'm always putting with random cars and making tracks to test them.

I used to try and tune “realistically” when I first started playing, but that doesn’t work as well as meta tuning and taking advantage of the games physics engine, which can be fun in and of itself.

SP4 has a bunch of good and to the point videos, this one in particular is a good base line to start from.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
1667496401574.png

1667496457628.png

goku-super-saiyan-blue-s655jzg3liqsvhdw.gif

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Update is live and its 15.7gb.

OK, RT in this game is underwhelming AF. What's the point. I just tried it with Ford Bronco and resolution of the reflections is so low + the object cut off distance is so short... I was expecting something on the level of Cyberpunk 2077. Reflections on cars in that game are AMAZING.

Turk1993

OK, RT in this game is underwhelming AF. What's the point. I just tried it with Ford Bronco and resolution of the reflections is so low + the object cut off distance is so short... I was expecting something on the level of Cyberpunk 2077. Reflections on cars in that game are AMAZING.
Its only for self reflections at full resolution on the player car and not the environment. And the race photomode also includes other cars and they also have RT reflections for cars only. I also wished they used RT for the environmental reflections but its still a improvement.
Forza-Horizon-5-8-11-2022-18-36-16.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-8-11-2022-18-36-36.jpg

Turk1993

Also DLSS is the bigger improvement here, i get more fps with extreme RT on than before the update without RT.

Before the update maxed out native 4K
Forza-Horizon-5-6-11-2022-18-32-32.png

After the update maxed out with DLSS Quality
Forza-Horizon-5-8-11-2022-17-23-04.png

Last edited:
I appreciate the DLSS, it's means a solid 1440/120fps or 2560x1080/144fps experience with full settings with my hardware.

The RT is mostly nothing special. Self-reflection in-game is a big deal but car on car is lackluster at best with no car shadows reflected and still no smoke reflections. The performance hit with the full RT explains why it's so limited only dropping about 5fps when active in-game.

The self-reflection is still appreciated though as any car with a wing or large flared fenders now looks complete. Everything just looks more planted in the environments.

0Vac7rR.jpg

8li74vW.jpg

Kilau

Gold Member
I installed it again on my PC last night, the game sure has ballooned in size. DLSS is once again magic. I don’t really see the point in leaving RTX on, I will never notice that in a race.

Great to see the development continue on the tech.

For me it's the self-reflection and really only because this is one of a handful of racing games that I play in chase view. Cars like the Viper with massive vents and inlets, or cars with aero really look off when the aero isn't reflected in the car. I hope the next game uses a full RT suite of effects like GI and full environment reflections, but we'll see.

z2fv6JB.jpg

Turk1993

Once you get used to it its hard to go back. They also better use RT reflections for the environment in the next game. Because the RT reflections are much much higher quality than the environment cubemaps reflections on the car. But its still a solid improvement and can create photo's like this that where not possible before.
Forza-Horizon-5-9-11-2022-18-45-22.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-8-11-2022-18-16-40.jpg

RavageX

Yeah I also didn't like that the only option is some smarmy British voice, and there's just something obnoxious about being the 'superstar'. I like rags to riches type racing stories, even in racing games where there's no story I kind of make up my own narrative of how I'm some nobody tearing up the charts against all these pros. Riches to more riches isn't exactly compelling lol.
I feel this bothers me more than it should about racing games these days that really want to have characters. Not only does my player look nothing like me, or sounds like me, I feel like he is part of this 'Lifestyles of the rich and famous" deal and that definitely isnt me.

Lasha

RTX doesn't really excite me in racing games. Self reflection is meaningless since I always drive from first person. I can't judge turns and braking points well from a chase camera. The effect doesn't seem terribly noticeable since you need to be up close and stationary to really see the effect. DLSS is more exciting though.

I feel this bothers me more than it should about racing games these days that really want to have characters. Not only does my player look nothing like me, or sounds like me, I feel like he is part of this 'Lifestyles of the rich and famous" deal and that definitely isnt me.

FH5 starts with you dropping out of an airplane in an expensive car. The lifestyle is a feature of the Horizon Festival. I'm more irked by the Britishness. I feel like the development team bought a bunch of tacos and called it setting research. Like two members of the cast are Mexican and they speak like charicatures.

Rags to riches is overrated anyways. Racing games are one of the main genres I play. I don't need an artificial narrative to know that Im a good druver. I'm annoyed when arbitrary challenges or license tests stand between me and cars or circuits that I like to drive. Locking the best cars behind a class system is the only flaw of the hotwheels expansion.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Heyho forza horizon 4 and forza horizon 5 is on sale on steam. One is aloot cheaper and they look really simiar. Srsly tho which one should I get?

Heyho forza horizon 4 and forza horizon 5 is on sale on steam. One is aloot cheaper and they look really simiar. Srsly tho which one should I get?

I'd choose 5 over 4 personally. It's still ongoing, I like the Mexico map much more than the UK one and there is more variety in terrain in the game. Horizon 4 has a lot of rain, a lot of icy roads which aren't fun to drive on and the road layout is just not in the same league as 5. The map editor in five is way better as well.

Music was better in 4 but if you're on PC nothing is stopping you from playing the music from 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in the background while playing 5.

Both are overrun with neon diarrhea and annoying characters to in that respect it's a wash.

4 will run better on older hardware. They look similar at a glance but 5 is actually quite a bit more advanced than 4 visually.

Lasha

Take FH5 for the base game. The races and map are better. Online is more stable in FH5 as well. You only lose out on more varied weather since Mexico doesn't have the same seasons which isn't a big deal.

DLC is a tossup. Hot wheels on FH5 is so excellent that it would sell on its own mertis. Of the two FH4 expansions I only played the Lego one at length because of my family. The Lego gimmick wears off pretty fast leaving a fairly boring set of race tracks. Fortune island never hooked me but it's been doted on.

I would also consider FH3 over FH4 if it is also on sale. Australia is a fun map and the expansions are both worth your time. Blizzard mountain is my favorite place to drive in the entire horizon series. Every race is a joy. The snowy surfaces made for wild multiplayer.

WoodyStare

Gotta admit, I was slightly disappointed when this DLC was announced. It looked like more of the same, but the track design is fantastic with the weather conditions, and the map is gorgeous on both the X/S. This crow tastes delicious.

Lasha

Does the sand area of the map stutter for anybody else? I'm running like 180fps everywhere except that part of the map where I get strange stutters down to the 50s and 60s.

Sweden85

This DLC is fun, but at the same time it's not a good "rally game", its just more Forza with more tasks to complete. They have to find something new to innovate the franchise.

Does the sand area of the map stutter for anybody else? I'm running like 180fps everywhere except that part of the map where I get strange stutters down to the 50s and 60s.

If you're on PC, the sand is bugged. Even players with i9s and 4090s are getting stutters in the sand. I had the same issue. Turn the "deformable terrain" setting from Extreme to Ultra and it goes back to normal with just a small downgrade to the sand that you won't notice outside photo mode close-ups.

This DLC is fun, but at the same time it's not a good "rally game", its just more Forza with more tasks to complete. They have to find something new to innovate the franchise.

Agreed. The storyline they've built has gone off the rails. The character I play as is someone I don't even like, let alone relate to. The choice to make him a voiced character makes things even worse. The "superstar" is an obnoxious goofy sounding twit and needs to be retired. They need to take the series back to its roots. A rival-based storyline where you race people working your way to the top would be fantastic. This is the perfect opportunity to take the series to Japan and make an Initial D inspired story. Start as a nobody with an AE86 or similar and work your way up the ladder racing around Japan, breaking your way into racing events in different prefectures.

RPS37

I keep not being able to unlock my last barn find. What gives?
7LvF9Pv.jpg
WSMlq9K.jpg

Anyone else experienced this? Got a fix? I want that achievemen.

Pantz

Gold Member
Did they remove dresses from the game?
Maybe it's because I'm playing on cloud. I don't see any dresses in the character customization. Still skirts but no full length dresses like there used to be.
Weird.

Edit: Never mind, it's because I'm playing FH4 not FH5.
what an idiot

Last edited:
Top Bottom