• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 |OT| Are you a Mexican, or a Mexican't?

I wish they would make Sim expansion pack. The game has such a strong foundation to build on. The driving experience is a bit vapid, compared to the sims out there.

Roads should be more varying in tightness.

The consequence of going off the good surface should be 100x higher.

Dirt roads need to vary more not just in tightness, but in elevation and have bumps and holes and dips and crests.

Weight transfer seems to have little impact on grip.

Oversteer is very floaty and somewhat disconnected to throttle input.

On dirt, drifting is too slow compared to taking the tarmac-racetrack-line through corners, in effect making the rally line not ideal on a rally stage.

I wish they would make Sim expansion pack. The game has such a strong foundation to build on. The driving experience is a bit vapid, compared to the sims out there.

Roads should be more varying in tightness.

The consequence of going off the good surface should be 100x higher.

Dirt roads need to vary more not just in tightness, but in elevation and have bumps and holes and dips and crests.

Weight transfer seems to have little impact on grip.

Oversteer is very floaty and somewhat disconnected to throttle input.

On dirt, drifting is too slow compared to taking the tarmac-racetrack-line through corners, in effect making the rally line not ideal on a rally stage.
This should really be looked into for next game.

Jaysen

Banned
The game ruined other cars for me by giving me the Sesto on day 1. That’s not totally true, I also have a bunch of off-road cars I love.

Orbital2060

I think its fine for what they want to do with the Horizon series. Too many options can put some of the casual audience off. Like the Arcade which I think is broken at the moment, in tye sense that people cant figure out how to do them, or why. Because they used to be the main income of forzathon points, but I only just realised the other day when looking at how to get the points. Its been a while since I needed fp in FH4 and forgot all about it. But you get 30 fp for a full Arcade - 10 points per round. Or 60 fp with the Premium version or add-on. Thats a lot of points and you could do that once each hour in 4 I think. So you could sit and play and then join each Arcade and get 60 points each hour. But thats impossible at the moment, and I dont see how players are going to afford 500-1000 points for a car when they cant earn the fp for them. So I think thats something PG need to fix somehow, maybe just by making a tutorial for it. Because they are split into 5 themes now and each one needs a bunch of players to finish.. it was just a lot easier in 4.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
The game ruined other cars for me by giving me the Sesto on day 1. That’s not totally true, I also have a bunch of off-road cars I love.
That's one car I haven't been able to get and as I approach level 100 I finally decided to snag one.

Managed to snake a Forza Edition from the auction house for only 400K last night. Life is good.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Jesus. The Colossus is by far the hardest race I've faced in the game. Finally managed it in the Jesko with an S2 tuning but only after a few dozen attempts across numerous cars, PIs and tunings.

That race is no joke.

Reizo Ryuu

Yeah the sesto is great, but the aston martin valhalla is my favourite car in the game so far; it doesn't have the top end speed of the sesto, but the handling is just pure bliss.
200.gif

I spent most of last night wrapping up all the street race events.

Between my self-imposed rules regarding upgrades and swaps, my pretty awful eyesight in the dark and the amount of wet track races in the events, I got a lot of "not first place" finishes.

Hypercars on street tires in the rain with no assists turns steering into mild suggestions to the car on where you'd like to go. With the amount of blind corners in the races I found myself blowing right by a lot of turns, which means a restart. Eventually I worked my way down to an A class Monaro where I could get some decent traction on the dry races and settled on the GTR for wet weather races just to avoid swapping ends so often.

JIQ8RbF.jpg

k2xOkVM.jpg

bVFpobI.jpg

With those out of the way I can start picking away at the Accolades challenges. Should keep me busy for a few months between other games.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Really struggling with The Gauntlet - final dirt race.

For those of you who beat it already, what car did you use?

Im on the verge of dropping the difficulty down a notch which ... sucks.

I used the hotwheels bone shaker for nearly all my off road events. AWD swap and keep in A class.

Is there a specific class you want to stay in? If you're running a high class lowering your class is kind of a soft difficulty change as small mistakes are easier to overcome. I tend to favor A class as for most cars it keeps the performance of the cars I'm using a bit more realistic, but also allows me to recover when I fudge a corner. In the S classes a small mistake has dire effects on the next series of corners and often means the end of the race for 1st.

The problem I had with the Gauntlet is that it seems like it's about half asphalt roads so my dirt road racers I'd been using for all the dirt events were mostly useless. I tried using the Jimmy which I also used for all the other dirt events but while the Jimmy shines in A Class on dirt/off roads with off-road tires, it fucking sucks on pavement. Like trying to drive a mattress connected to beachballs by Jello. While it sucks up all the bumps and bites into the dirt and mud, on asphalt the game accurately portrays big knobbly off-road tires as feeling like someone poured gravy across the road surface. The Jimmy is so wide it ticks flags that are in other time zones so you get to cut corners really hard, it's almost cheating. With the right tune flooring it off-road makes it squat and rocket away like a raped ape and it doesn't really seem to care about hitting water. It's just not very good on asphalt at all so despite all the ground I gain on the first part of the race as soon as the asphalt comes in I lose it all. Then at the end of the race on the way down the volcano I have a lower top speed so I have to start playing dirty to keep my lead.

My shitty self-imposed rules limited me a bit but I ended up building a newer Audi TT in A Class with the rally suspension for the Gauntlet, off-road tires and the basically rest dumped into the engine. Anything AWD like it would perform about as well like the Golf R, STi, Evo, etc. They're not super light cars so touching the odd smash-ables like bushes don't knock 5mph off their speed. Because they're already AWD acceleration is really good in A Class and since the cars are heavy for what they are you can pour more into the motor and remain in-class while the AI upgrades will be more across-the -board including relatively useless shit like sway bars and brakes and no real tuning on the parts. The off-road tires are still shit on the asphalt but with less inertia the cars will only slide so far and as long as you late-apex you won't slide into the shit on the side of the road. The big problem with the TT and similar cars is they lose a ton of speed when they hit the water compared to the off-roaders so the early part of the race is going to be unsettling as every time you smash the water you'll likely get passed or lose a ton of speed unless you have some AI up your ass that can shove you through. You can make up ground when the road turns to dirt and once you hit the volcano you'll find with everything put into power you can really pull away on the switchbacks on the way up and being in something relatively light, you'll be able to brake less on the way down and not have to lift in the S-turns. It's still a tough race though.

Wizz-Art

I think its fine for what they want to do with the Horizon series. Too many options can put some of the casual audience off. Like the Arcade which I think is broken at the moment, in tye sense that people cant figure out how to do them, or why. Because they used to be the main income of forzathon points, but I only just realised the other day when looking at how to get the points. Its been a while since I needed fp in FH4 and forgot all about it. But you get 30 fp for a full Arcade - 10 points per round. Or 60 fp with the Premium version or add-on. Thats a lot of points and you could do that once each hour in 4 I think. So you could sit and play and then join each Arcade and get 60 points each hour. But thats impossible at the moment, and I dont see how players are going to afford 500-1000 points for a car when they cant earn the fp for them. So I think thats something PG need to fix somehow, maybe just by making a tutorial for it. Because they are split into 5 themes now and each one needs a bunch of players to finish.. it was just a lot easier in 4.

Yeah that's the only real complain I have, the Forza Arcade in this way rarely works as almost none, maybe one other person joins of the online players in the same session. None seemed interested in doing one. Hell, I've yet to finish a second round of Arcade...
It needs to reworked, what was wrong with the old way forzathons worked? Never had the problem there, people loved to play those hourly Forzathons!

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah that's the only real complain I have, the Forza Arcade in this way rarely works as almost none, maybe one other person joins of the online players in the same session. None seemed interested in doing one. Hell, I've yet to finish a second round of Arcade...
It needs to reworked, what was wrong with the old way forzathons worked? Never had the problem there, people loved to play those hourly Forzathons!

It's worse because you don't even get a notification that they are in play. Frustrating.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I spent most of last night wrapping up all the street race events.

Between my self-imposed rules regarding upgrades and swaps, my pretty awful eyesight in the dark and the amount of wet track races in the events, I got a lot of "not first place" finishes.

Hypercars on street tires in the rain with no assists turns steering into mild suggestions to the car on where you'd like to go. With the amount of blind corners in the races I found myself blowing right by a lot of turns, which means a restart. Eventually I worked my way down to an A class Monaro where I could get some decent traction on the dry races and settled on the GTR for wet weather races just to avoid swapping ends so often.

JIQ8RbF.jpg

k2xOkVM.jpg

bVFpobI.jpg

With those out of the way I can start picking away at the Accolades challenges. Should keep me busy for a few months between other games.
I've been having an absolute blast playing in A class. I have the same issues with the higher tier cars so I'm staying here and will work my way up slowly.

Ammogeddon

I actually had the luck of finding a session with about 8 others yesterday. Thats the first time I’ve had that. Normally it’s just me on my lonesome. I hope they sort it out soon because people will be buying diddly squat from the Forzathon shop due to lack of points.

In a perfect world there should be over 60 players roaming the map at any one time. At the moment you might see one or two in your immediate vicinity but that’s it.

Reizo Ryuu

Careful putting anything free on the sides of vans

The Devs don't care about the glitching and hacking but are banning people left and right for putting Free stuff on their vehicles
I don't think they ban anyone for downloading a livery.
A girl I know has made a bunch of "lewd" liveries, and all she got was a livery making ban for a week, while everyone who got the liveries got to keep them.
I used the hotwheels bone shaker for nearly all my off road events.
I've used the boneshaker for most of my races period, it even has drag tyres and still handles fine on all surfaces lol.

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't think they ban anyone for downloading a livery.
A girl I know has made a bunch of "lewd" liveries, and all she got was a livery making ban for a week, while everyone who got the liveries got to keep them.

I've used the boneshaker for most of my races period, it even has drag tyres and still handles fine on all surfaces lol.

Automatic ban for anything like free candy, free sweets etc. Perm if you created, temp if you applied.

• Vans with "free candy" or other similar "free __" wording.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Automatic ban for anything like free candy, free sweets etc. Perm if you created, temp if you applied.
This doesn't make sense, just remove the livery instead of allowing it to be downloaded.
Also these are just livery/tuning bans, you won't get banned from playing the game.

TheMan

I had quite a lot of fun with this for a while, but after collecting the vast majority of the cars I wanted Im just not getting the same dopamine hits boys

Plantoid

My favorite cars so far

McLaren 720s (S1) TUNE
Bugatti DIVO (S2) TUNE
Ferrari 250 testarossa (A) Tune

The Ferrari is a monster, got lots of 1% with it, Bugatti is a monster of x class, but I prefer leaving it in S2

But the McLaren... Oh boy, thats a great car, the sound it makes... Sometimes I just drive around doing nothing

Also, will start doing rivals now, beware GAF

Last edited:
This doesn't make sense, just remove the livery instead of allowing it to be downloaded.
Also these are just livery/tuning bans, you won't get banned from playing the game.

Forza has a zero tolerance policy for hate speech, violent acts, obscene imagery and/or cheating. Anything of this nature will result in a permanent suspension. Please note that further behavior of this type in other Forza titles or Social Channels will result in more stringent enforcement action, up to and including further permanent suspension of accounts and/or associated PCs and consoles.

Common ban reasons include intentional wrecking in multiplayer lobbies and inappropriate designs (profanity, drugs, sexual themes including 'Free Candy' etc). Repeat offenses may result in a permanent ban.

Your friend got lucky in that she was reported and just got "caught" by a moderator who was also a decent person. They can and will permanently close your Xbox account and ban your console if the right crazy person sees it, they give no shits that you didn't make it.

If some danger-haired dipshit pisses themselves because they see you rolling around in a "free anything" van (remember they are crazy), takes a screenshot and instantly shares it on twitter with an @ for anyone in the Microsoft family your entire account and console are now nuked, no warnings, no explanation.

The game is still popular and in times like that the amount of "offendable" people is high. I lock the General Lee away in single-player because it's not worth having an "offendable" latch onto me because they are angry about something they don't even care to understand the context of. The context of a "free candy" van is a bit more cut and dry.

Just be careful my friend.

Reizo Ryuu

Your friend got lucky in that she was reported and just got "caught" by a moderator who was also a decent person. They can and will permanently close your Xbox account and ban your console if the right crazy person sees it, they give no shits that you didn't make it.
This is not true, they detail the types of suspension:

Common Suspension Types​

• User Generated Content (UGC)
    • This suspension type is issued when a player uploads inappropriate content to layer groups, liveries, photos, or other visual media. Please note that this can also apply to in-game offensive content that is discovered on external sites such as Mixer, YouTube, Twitch, Discord, Reddit or the like.
    • Impact: All player UGC is removed from the Community Hub. This content remains on your local save but will need to be removed after the suspension is completed. You will then need to make a small edit to each of your other designs before you will be able to re-save and re-share them.

You're not going to get a play ban for a livery. She got the UGC ban as they outlined they do.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
People are saying they are getting banned from the game for putting things like Free Candy on the sides of their vehicle

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Is there a specific class you want to stay in? If you're running a high class lowering your class is kind of a soft difficulty change as small mistakes are easier to overcome. I tend to favor A class as for most cars it keeps the performance of the cars I'm using a bit more realistic, but also allows me to recover when I fudge a corner. In the S classes a small mistake has dire effects on the next series of corners and often means the end of the race for 1st.

The problem I had with the Gauntlet is that it seems like it's about half asphalt roads so my dirt road racers I'd been using for all the dirt events were mostly useless. I tried using the Jimmy which I also used for all the other dirt events but while the Jimmy shines in A Class on dirt/off roads with off-road tires, it fucking sucks on pavement. Like trying to drive a mattress connected to beachballs by Jello. While it sucks up all the bumps and bites into the dirt and mud, on asphalt the game accurately portrays big knobbly off-road tires as feeling like someone poured gravy across the road surface. The Jimmy is so wide it ticks flags that are in other time zones so you get to cut corners really hard, it's almost cheating. With the right tune flooring it off-road makes it squat and rocket away like a raped ape and it doesn't really seem to care about hitting water. It's just not very good on asphalt at all so despite all the ground I gain on the first part of the race as soon as the asphalt comes in I lose it all. Then at the end of the race on the way down the volcano I have a lower top speed so I have to start playing dirty to keep my lead.

My shitty self-imposed rules limited me a bit but I ended up building a newer Audi TT in A Class with the rally suspension for the Gauntlet, off-road tires and the basically rest dumped into the engine. Anything AWD like it would perform about as well like the Golf R, STi, Evo, etc. They're not super light cars so touching the odd smash-ables like bushes don't knock 5mph off their speed. Because they're already AWD acceleration is really good in A Class and since the cars are heavy for what they are you can pour more into the motor and remain in-class while the AI upgrades will be more across-the -board including relatively useless shit like sway bars and brakes and no real tuning on the parts. The off-road tires are still shit on the asphalt but with less inertia the cars will only slide so far and as long as you late-apex you won't slide into the shit on the side of the road. The big problem with the TT and similar cars is they lose a ton of speed when they hit the water compared to the off-roaders so the early part of the race is going to be unsettling as every time you smash the water you'll likely get passed or lose a ton of speed unless you have some AI up your ass that can shove you through. You can make up ground when the road turns to dirt and once you hit the volcano you'll find with everything put into power you can really pull away on the switchbacks on the way up and being in something relatively light, you'll be able to brake less on the way down and not have to lift in the S-turns. It's still a tough race though.
Hey I really appreciate that detailed response, BusierDonkey BusierDonkey ! Thanks for making the effort.
I usually stick to A-class as well. I enjoy S/X class races but only on shorter circuits where a restart due to a bad corner isn't as dire.
I tried all kinds of tunings and cars for The Gauntlet including the F450 which gave me my best result and the Bronco 2020 you get at the start which is a beast if tuned properly. Still couldn't make it happen.
Then I realized I'm treating the race like an off-road event despite it being more of a rally track and I was facing the exact issues you mentioned - tearing it up on dirt but then being seriously outmatched on pavement.
I bought the Hoonigan RS200 and tuned it for A-class rally racing and won The Gauntlet on my first try! Played for another couple hours afterwards and that little RS200 is now one of my favorite "do anything" cars. Working on a custom livery for it now which I only do for my daily drivers.

Immediately did The Goliath in an A-class Lambo Diablo and that race was a breeze by comparison. So that's the whole campaign done and dusted! Now I'm focusing on cleaning up the "stories" and clearing the map. Hit Level 116.

I also played my first two rounds of The Eliminator which I was sure would be a stupid mode but I ended up thinking it works surprisingly well and I finished 8th and 4th. Should've won the second game but the final race gate was at the top of a cliff and I was at the bottom so ... oops.

I dunno why you would have to warn me, I don't have any "bad" liveries.
Just saying the norm, as they outline it themselves, is UGC bans, not instant perm account and device bans.

I think people are just stressing the need to be careful in the face of a seemingly arbitrary process that can vary wildly and could potentially lock you out of your Xbox account. I haven't owned an Xbox in years but my Live account dates all the way back to the days of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and I've easily got a couple grand in games associated with it. I'm being extra careful. Good luck arguing "context" for the General Lee with the mod team.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Sadly I think I've hit a plateau skill-wise. I'm bouncing back and forth between Expert and Pro difficulty (and regularly taking a dozen attempts to win on Pro, if at all) and I'm running into the same old problems with high-difficulty racing I remember from past games.

Mainly collision. It's an arcade racer and collision is inevitable, but basically on Pro, the entire race is decided during the scrum at the start within the first 10-20 seconds of the race. You either make it into first or second place with minimal or no trading paint or you're guaranteed to lose in almost all cases. The aggressive AI will tackle you or block you on corners which allows the front runner (who is not dealing with other racers) to exponentially increase their lead to the point where you can't catch up.

Oh and rubber banding is annoying but that's passé at this point in a Forza title.

Still loving the game though but just a critique of the skill ceiling.

I dunno why you would have to warn me, I don't have any "bad" liveries.
Just saying the norm, as they outline it themselves, is UGC bans, not instant perm account and device bans.

Since when is anything the norm anymore? There are some extremely "not normal" people playing video games now that have a weapon they can use to strike out at any people who offend them. If a crazy danger-haired career-offended person sees you driving around in a loli van and starts shaking, all they have to do is post a screen grab of the van with your GT over it to twitter @xboxp3, @aarongreenberg, @forzahorizon or any of the big MS PR-run accounts and you could have action taken on your entire account all in the name of protecting people from the "offensive content". It doesn't matter if you made them, that only applies to the in-game moderation. The in-game moderation system means nothing if someone goes above it. To Microsoft PR you are publicly displaying offensive hateful imagery and they're just going to delete you. That's why terms of service always essentially have the vague "we can actually do anything we want with your account without telling you why first" in the fine print.

BTW I really hate that I ever had to type out something like this, it's so absolutely insane to me that any of what I just wrote isn't satire.

Reizo Ryuu

The aggressive AI will tackle you or block you on corners which allows the front runner (who is not dealing with other racers) to exponentially increase their lead to the point where you can't catch up.
The actual big problem with the AI is that they completely ignore physics, they never slide, they never over or understeer and they always have more powerful braking than you do.
And yeah the rubber banding sucks too. Upping the difficulty in this game is just not worth it imo, just makes races frustrating or even impossible if you don't have the right car/tune.

Sadly I think I've hit a plateau skill-wise. I'm bouncing back and forth between Expert and Pro difficulty (and regularly taking a dozen attempts to win on Pro, if at all) and I'm running into the same old problems with high-difficulty racing I remember from past games.

Mainly collision. It's an arcade racer and collision is inevitable, but basically on Pro, the entire race is decided during the scrum at the start within the first 10-20 seconds of the race. You either make it into first or second place with minimal or no trading paint or you're guaranteed to lose in almost all cases. The aggressive AI will tackle you or block you on corners which allows the front runner (who is not dealing with other racers) to exponentially increase their lead to the point where you can't catch up.

Oh and rubber banding is annoying but that's passé at this point in a Forza title.

Still loving the game though but just a critique of the skill ceiling.

i think it’s ok to hit a plateau skill wise. If you are enjoying the game at a difficulty that’s challenging for you, that’s enough. Doesn’t have to be the hardest setting.

Top Bottom